We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Test kits for local "dmt positive" plants? Options

Heyoka
#1 Posted : 6/8/2007 12:24:57 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Hey , I'm totally ignorant about this stuff but I think it would be great fun to hunt dmt in my local flora. Do any of you know if it would be possible to put together some type of test that would determine wether a plant has interesting tryptamines or not? Of course I'd want it to be as easy as possible and inexpensive. If a tek similar to our extraction teks could be built up for finding dmt in new plants amazing things would be possible. No more dependence/pressure on mimosa hostilis (that has such a dubious future availability) and cheap local sources for spice. I got to thinking about this when earlier today on a jobsite I found passionflower growing about a 100 feet from some mimosa pudica . It was cool to see an ayahuasca analog (albeit a poor one) growing in a guys front yard. Please Comment Very happy

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

Chazz
#2 Posted : 6/8/2007 1:50:11 PM

DMT-Nexus member

well this is said to detect LSD and I do believe it can detect psilocyin too (check erowid) http://shop.armorforensics.com/...;Category_Code=narcotest so there are tests reagent that detect tryptamines but I don't know wether it works directly on plant matter. You may have to do an A/B extraction on all the plants you find and then do the test on the crystals.
CHAZZ

Fuego
#3 Posted : 6/9/2007 2:42:23 PM

Riggly Maynard Charlston Bentsworth |||

Location: my secret volcano lair, really everyone should have one its so cool
i have been interested in this too, a while back before just geting mimosa i was checking out all the flora in my area to see if any were dmt containing plants... then i thought, well how many more plants are around me that have dmt that arent on their list of plants? a reagent to test for tryptamines is what we need. then everyone all over can be discovering new sources! and oh we need one that dosnt have to a/b extract first. i would do one afterwords to all the ones that tested positive for tryptamines then see whats in them after the extraction.

Chazz
#4 Posted : 6/14/2007 5:52:53 PM

DMT-Nexus member

i just found this, you might be interested: "Sodium nitroprusside reagent test will reveal tryptamine by a red color change.Sodium nitroprusside, 0.5% w/v: Dissolve 0.5 g sodium nitroprusside in 100 mL deionized water. Store in amber bottle for up to 1 month." No idea about how to get sodium nitroprusside but it's a start to finding a good test reagent
CHAZZ

Chazz
#5 Posted : 6/14/2007 6:14:33 PM

DMT-Nexus member

here are some more which might work but agian some strange chemicals that are hard to get. Thinking about it, your best bet is to buy premade test kits Identification of Indoles Keller Test Add a little of the powdered substance (about 0.2 mg to 1 ml glacial acetic acid containing 0.5% FeCl3, layer underneath with 1 ml concentrated sulfuric acid and shake. The color varies with the indole, being olive green for psilocin and red-violet for psilocybin. Van Urk Test Prepare Van Urk reagent by adding 0.5 g p-dimethylaminobenzaldehyde, 100 ml water, 100 ml concentrated sulfuric acid. Dissolve 1 mg substance in 1 ml ethanol and mix with 2 ml Van Urk reagent and illuminate for 10 minutes with an ultraviolet lamp (black light). Psilocin gives a blue-grey, psilocybin a red-brown color. Colors produced in these two tests by many indole derivatives are given in HCA 42,2073(1959). Quick, Easy, On-the-Spot Test JPS 56,1526(1967) Saturate strips of filter paper with 2% p-dimethylaminobenzaldehyde in 45% ethanol; air dry and store in tightly stoppered amber bottles (or keep in stoppered container in dark) which will keep them useful for several months. Put a little of the suspect substance in a few drops of ethanol (gin may do, but do a control), wet a filter paper strip in this and allow to dry. Put one drop concentrated HCl on the dried paper (don't let it touch anything). Alternatively, the powder can be placed directly on the strip and the HCl dropped on it. A violet red or violet blue spot indicates indole derivatives such as LSD. With DMT or psilocybin the color is redder. The color must be observed soon after adding the HCl since it rapidly changes.
CHAZZ

zhah
#6 Posted : 6/26/2007 3:08:41 PM
DMT-Nexus member

thanks for these interesting contributions, Chazz! -z
What if it really [i:92fda18de4]is[/i:92fda18de4] all about the Hokey-Pokey?