We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
PREV123NEXT
The Chemistry of Extraction Options

ChemisTryptaMan
#21 Posted : 2/8/2013 12:50:11 AM

DMT-Nexus member

D-empty, thats exactly the purpose of the salt.

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

ChemisTryptaMan
#22 Posted : 2/8/2013 1:10:15 PM

DMT-Nexus member

ChemisTryptaMan wrote:
any and all proteases will definitely speed up the process

I have to correct myself here, proteases are themselves proteins so at extreme ph's and temperatures they will unfold, break apart and become completely useless. Proteases could work if added to a mixture at the optimum pH levels and temperature for those proteases which are the conditions of your stomach, so the pH levels should be really low and the temp around 37C.

Rifle
#23 Posted : 2/27/2013 7:20:57 AM

DMT-Nexus member

My most recent pull seemed so saturated w/ DMT I can't really imagine doing much better but I heated both layers together so I have this thought:

If the solubility of DMT increases more rapidly with temperature in naphtha than in the polar solution I feel like heating them both to a very high temperature could be as effective because it will allow for extra mixing at that temperature and lead to more DMT moving over. If the naphtha is cooling before it can contact a reasonable amount of the polar solvent that could make it ineffective, no?

I might experiment with heating up just the naphtha on later pulls when heating both yields insignificant amounts. I'd also think it'd be good to use a relative abundance of naphtha to help with mixing and heat, yeah?

Details of the pull if interested:
I salted my solution for the first time this last batch (about 85g in a 1250ml w/ about 135g of lye, there seem to be a few undissolved salt crystals) and after I did two 5-10 minute baths in recently boiling water and shook the jar 8 times, I had a very cloudy naphtha layer, cloudy to the point that my first thought was that something had gone wrong. I insulated the jar in a cooler and let things fully separate for 2 hours. It was still very cloudy and when decanting my pipette would partially clog due to crystals forming in the tip. Had a huge yield of crystals crash out at room temperature. Waiting on the results of the freeze precip, but so far I see very few crystals and wonder if by chance I got an extremely good separation of DMT crystals and NMT goo with this pull. It'd be awesome to get something that was NMT heavy enough that the dominate experience from it was that of NMT.
She's real. She's got red lips.

CuriousSeeker
#24 Posted : 2/28/2013 3:05:52 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Thank you for sharing this, ChemisTryptaMan!
A scale is a wonderful thing. Everything else posted by CS is lunatic fiction.

spcemonkey
#25 Posted : 4/5/2013 7:36:57 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Great information.

MagicGing
#26 Posted : 4/5/2013 8:44:18 PM

DMT-Nexus member

So much helpful and interesting informationBig grin

Im very greatful for you sharing your knowledge on this subject

Keep it coming!Thumbs up

Thanks a billion
β€œThe swans go on the path of the sun, they go through the ether by means of their miraculous power; the wise are led out of this world, when they have conquered Mara (desire) and his train" Dhammapada

"But is it probable," asked Pascal, "that probability gives assurance? Nothing gives certainty but truth; nothing gives rest but for the sincere search for truth"

Pixar
#27 Posted : 11/13/2013 7:36:22 PM

DMT-Nexus member

To raise the ionic strength of the acidic mixture to it's best potential should we not use phosphoric acid instead of vinegar then?

Should we add salt to the mixture before or after adding the NaOH ? Edit: I saw your answer to the question. Salt before lye.. although, I am not sure what you meant when saying "has long has it's before the MHRB".

Thank you for your help

dooby
#28 Posted : 11/13/2013 9:36:20 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I think he meant "as long as it's before the solvent"...

Also, the acid that is used also determines which molecule is formed: acetic (vinegar) makes dmt-acetate, fumaric makes fumarate etc... Factors to take into account here are the stability of the "new" molecule and some of its other properties (solubility) in order for it to be interesting to work with in an extraction...

I have no clue in this regard as far as dmt-phosphate is concerned...

PLUR

Ps Please correct me if I'm wrong Pleased
My avatar was taken from google images and is actually a work of art by NEIL GIBSON, credit where credit is due!

Bodies don't have souls - souls have bodies

Old enough to know better, young enough to try again

Pixar
#29 Posted : 11/14/2013 1:46:09 AM

DMT-Nexus member

dooby wrote:
I think he meant "as long as it's before the solvent"...

Also, the acid that is used also determines which molecule is formed: acetic (vinegar) makes dmt-acetate, fumaric makes fumarate etc... Factors to take into account here are the stability of the "new" molecule and some of its other properties (solubility) in order for it to be interesting to work with in an extraction...

I have no clue in this regard as far as dmt-phosphate is concerned...

PLUR

Ps Please correct me if I'm wrong Pleased

Ok, that makes more sense..

Well I first got the idea of using phosphoric acid from this tek : http://www.scribd.com/mobile/doc/33549587

It mentions the bonds beings stronger.. Which would be logical considering the charge is hier than what we would obtain from vinegar. Although, I'm wondering how this affects the quantity one would get out of said plant..

Would it cause more dmt to precipitate into the freebase form after adding lye? I'd like to know and understand the cause to effect...

Edit : info about acids to use it at page 7

Thanks for your help

dooby
#30 Posted : 11/14/2013 2:23:53 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I have only a very limited understanding of chemistry, but if the phosphate forms stronger bonds, there would be no gain because you will have to break up these bonds anyway to "release" the freebase molecule when the base is added...

Also, looking into any possible "contra-indications" could be very useful, you never know if phosphoric acid and sodium hydroxide create, for instance, an emulsion (or worse)...

As soon as the base is added in sufficient amounts, the molecule will be freebased and the acid will turn into a salt (if I remember correctly) and the only use for that salt, if any, is not to interfere with the extraction process or create unwanted side-reactions or something...

If you're lucky someone more chem-savvy will chime in Pleased

So far for my 2 cents...

PLUR

Ps: Solubility is also a huge factor here, for example you don't want the salt being formed after the base is added to be soluble in your non polar solvent or it will end up in your yield...
My avatar was taken from google images and is actually a work of art by NEIL GIBSON, credit where credit is due!

Bodies don't have souls - souls have bodies

Old enough to know better, young enough to try again

downwardsfromzero
#31 Posted : 11/14/2013 3:52:36 AM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

My first thoughts here: phosphates are used for making pH buffer solutions. Whether this is of any consequence, I can't say!

β€œThere is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

benzyme
#32 Posted : 11/14/2013 3:58:46 AM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

phosphoric being polyprotic, multiple pKa's... probably results in a funky hygroscopic mess.
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted." ~ hassan i sabbah
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

Pixar
#33 Posted : 11/14/2013 2:42:42 PM

DMT-Nexus member

dooby wrote:
I have only a very limited understanding of chemistry, but if the phosphate forms stronger bonds, there would be no gain because you will have to break up these bonds anyway to "release" the freebase molecule when the base is added...

Also, looking into any possible "contra-indications" could be very useful, you never know if phosphoric acid and sodium hydroxide create, for instance, an emulsion (or worse)...

As soon as the base is added in sufficient amounts, the molecule will be freebased and the acid will turn into a salt (if I remember correctly) and the only use for that salt, if any, is not to interfere with the extraction process or create unwanted side-reactions or something...

If you're lucky someone more chem-savvy will chime in Pleased

So far for my 2 cents...

PLUR

Ps: Solubility is also a huge factor here, for example you don't want the salt being formed after the base is added to be soluble in your non polar solvent or it will end up in your yield...

Yeah, I looked up for contra-indication and safety in regards to the chemical.. Seems safe..

Dmt-phosphate is a salt I believe btw.. Acid + alkaloid -> salt

After adding lye is the freebase form..

Thanks for helping... I'll try to see if I can get more detail on why dmt phosphate would be better according to the tek and post results here..

Pixar
#34 Posted : 11/14/2013 2:44:22 PM

DMT-Nexus member

benzyme wrote:
phosphoric being polyprotic, multiple pKa's... probably results in a funky hygroscopic mess.

Interresting... That could be usefull tough.. Has long as the ph gets high enough...

Pixar
#35 Posted : 11/14/2013 11:18:40 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Ok ! So as far has my research goes dmt-phosphate seems to be more stable than dmt-acetate. I.e when doing ze acid cook dmt-phosphate has less chance of going back into the freebase form and then being broken down than dmt-acetate if the solution is boiling at a high temperature.. Thats only my conclusion base on the premise that dmt-phosphate forms stronger bonds => dmt-phosphate is more stable => dmt-phosphate more heat resistant => we can do acid cook at hier temperatures => being able to cook at hier temperatures is a plus.

So it would seem phosphoric acid has this advantage over vinegar...

I would appreciate if a chemist could confirm this..

Spiralout
#36 Posted : 1/7/2014 6:01:58 PM

DMT-Nexus member

This is great info, very cocomprehensive information to begin with for the layman, thanks op!

My buddy will be using cybs tek when he runs into more materials. Right now he has 300g of acrb sitting for days in a similiar amount of calcium hydroxide. This was acidified first of course. Would adding some salt help the process at all before doing the pulls? Ive seen people say salt wont help with this kind of tek but i dont see how it wouldnt and it wont hurt right?

Wishing there was material to try cybs tej right now. Actually have some leftover acidified bark leftover that wouldnt fit in the jar for this dry tek hes doing. Dont know the weight on it though Sad. Might try out cybs tek on it anyway just to see what happens..

Once again, great post man!

MultiDimensionalTherapy
#37 Posted : 3/23/2014 6:12:51 AM

DMT-Nexus member

when swim was in other country allways used phosphoric acid, with no problem at all, and good yelds of pure white xtals
Healing someone is an act of love, but how can you love someone whitout loving yourself first?

ektor
#38 Posted : 1/10/2015 12:00:39 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Sorry for resurrecting this thread but i have a question about this subject, specifically talkin bout Ionic Strength.

Some time ago I did a few acid/base extractions of other alkaloids, using diethyl-ether as the solvent, unfortunately they didn't work out really well.

ChemisTryptaMan, I read what you said about miscibility, about having some naphta in the water and some water in the naphta and how you can fix this problem by adding salt to the water to increase Ionic Strength.

I now suspect my previous a/b extractions didn't work because of some ether dissolving into the water.
Diethyl-ether is a prevalently non-polar solvent, however it has two free electron pairs on the oxygen so it can form hydrogen bonds with a protic polar solvent(like water) making it at least a little miscible with the water.

If some ether dissolves in the water it could prevent the alkaloid to go in the nonpolar layer, I guess...

So here the question: Could I add salt to the water and increase ionic strength to prevent the ether dissolving in the water and fuck up my extraction? Should I rather just change solvent because ether is not good enough for a/b DMT extraction?

Any insight is appreciated,

Thank You!!!Cool

downwardsfromzero
#39 Posted : 1/10/2015 1:51:02 AM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

ektor wrote:
Could I add salt to the water and increase ionic strength to prevent the ether dissolving in the water and fuck up my extraction?
Adding salt will help. You don't really want too much ether dissolving in the water. It's not about the ether dissolving in the water.
Quote:
Should I rather just change solvent because ether is not good enough for a/b DMT extraction?
I'd save the ether for huffing. But that's just me being degenerate. We don't hear much about ether extractions round here so it might be interesting. Just so long as you stay safe.

β€œThere is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

1ce
#40 Posted : 1/10/2015 2:49:12 AM

Communications-Security Analyst

downwardsfromzero wrote:
ektor wrote:
Could I add salt to the water and increase ionic strength to prevent the ether dissolving in the water and fuck up my extraction?
Adding salt will help. You don't really want too much ether dissolving in the water. It's not about the ether dissolving in the water.
Quote:
Should I rather just change solvent because ether is not good enough for a/b DMT extraction?
I'd save the ether for huffing. But that's just me being degenerate. We don't hear much about ether extractions round here so it might be interesting. Just so long as you stay safe.

We don't hear about ether (diethyl? ) extractions here because it's not safe in a home extraction setting. Ether can have a real nasty temperment.

Thanks CMT, I think you just raised the bar a bitThumbs up

PREV123NEXT