We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
bulk sub supp Options

mrwiggle
#1 Posted : 1/26/2013 8:53:48 PM

DMT-Nexus member

i know some people add hydrated lime, or calcium carbonate to their bulk substrates, ive even herd of oyster shell flour, i dont have any of this on hand, but i have diatematious earth whish is essentially million year old fossilized oyster shell four...does anyone have experience with this? if so how much do you use etc? it seems like it would work but i want to make sure before i use it in my sub, ....also has anyone used kelp meal? ive got a bit and was thinking of putting a bit of that in as well...
ive received the trans dermal download in the apousal lounge

no disease could possibly survive in such a wiggly environment!

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

expandaneum
#2 Posted : 1/26/2013 9:26:08 PM

DMT-Nexus member

he,

i don't know about diatematious earth but my reason for adding lime or oyster shell is to prevent contams. The best pH of a substrate is 5.5 to 6.5, so you don't want to use lime in substrates. Use gypsum only, its not for adjusting pH. Gypsum is for adding calcium and sulfur, both aid in fruit-body development, and both are usually lacking in most substrates.
To prevent contams ad lime, soda or oyster shell to your casing layer the ph of 8 will help prevent most spores from germanating.

hope this helps

Disclaimer:
All Expandeum's notes, messages, postings, ideas, suggestions, concepts or other material submitted via this forum and or website are completely fictional and are not in any way based on real live experience.

Parshvik Chintan
#3 Posted : 1/26/2013 9:30:52 PM

DMT-Nexus member

i would imagine DE is safe, and a cursory google seemed to validate that (As did the shroomery).

idk about kelp.
My wind instrument is the bong
CHANGA IN THE BONGA!

jamie
#4 Posted : 1/26/2013 9:54:03 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expert | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growingSenior Member | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growing

I throw in paramagnetic volcanic rock dust. I collect this volcanic rock around my area and powder it and add it to soils, mushroom substrates..w/e..

Works for me. Paramagnetism and diamagmetism are important aspects of soil health that are often missing these days.
Long live the unwoke.

AlbertKLloyd
#5 Posted : 1/27/2013 5:15:17 AM

DMT-Nexus member

DE is made of diatom frustules, these are made of silica, not calcium. It is not a bad thing to add to a substrate, but it cannot take the place of lime.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frustule