We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Solvent reuse without evap Options

randomseed
#1 Posted : 3/17/2009 5:11:17 AM
DMT-Nexus member

SWIM feels very bad about the amount of solvent he is introducing into his environment. He's also a frugal guy and hates wasting something that should be in a reuse loop. As SWIM described his concerns to me I will relate them to you.

SWIM does not like having to crash presip a salt out of solution just to have to rebase again, he also is put off on freeze presip because of the fact that it is highly suggested to reduce the solvent down to 10% original volume via evap, this is unacceptable and kind of makes the whole thing pointless in SWIMS eyes.

What SWIM wants very badly is a contraption of some kind; perhaps it is a vacuum evap system, perhaps not, that could collect the solvent while still allowing separation of the freebase spice within. SWIM is really not familiar enough with true to life tools like this to know if such a thing exists or is actually possible.

SWIM also apologizes in advance for its formal lack of knowledge on this matter as he is sure its an easy Q for big dreamers and organic rearrangers.

I'm a compulsive lier, I mean only a crazy person would really do any of this stuff I just wrote about, right?

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

smokeydaze
#2 Posted : 3/17/2009 5:18:47 AM

Dragunov Mylshka Teapot

Evaporating it down is an option, it will still work if you do otherwise but your yields won't be as high. In which case when your left over semi-saturated Solvent is used for another extraction it will become super saturated and your yields will be even better. I don't know of an alternative..
SMOKE MORE DMT, SMOKE MORE DMT NOW

randomseed
#3 Posted : 3/17/2009 5:28:31 AM
DMT-Nexus member

SWIM says that the idea of freeze precip and only getting most of the agent into solid, then reuse throughout the entire batch as such with a final full evap at the end is acceptable for now at least.

SWIM does wonder about how that would affect things like the pickup ability of the reused solvent in subsequent pulls. SWIM worries it will just add another pull into his system to pickup anything that may have been neglected because the solvent bus was out of seats.

Does one know if this would have a noticeable effect, a low if I was a lab I may care effect, or no real change in the amount of spice comming through on each pull?

I guess a secondary to that is.... is the volume of solvent being used in most teks in relation to the amount of spice we hope to dissolve into it (its carrying capacity) or is it a function of the volume of water that we are extracting from?
I'm a compulsive lier, I mean only a crazy person would really do any of this stuff I just wrote about, right?

Jorkest
#4 Posted : 3/17/2009 12:31:10 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Moderator | Skills: Extraction Troubleshooting, (S)elf ProgrammingChemical expert | Skills: Extraction Troubleshooting, (S)elf Programming

distill your solvents
it's a sound

downwardsfromzero
#5 Posted : 3/17/2009 11:37:45 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Jorkest wrote:
distill your solvents

DMT will distill over with your naphtha unless you use a vacuum setup.

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

Jorkest
#6 Posted : 3/18/2009 12:07:27 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Moderator | Skills: Extraction Troubleshooting, (S)elf ProgrammingChemical expert | Skills: Extraction Troubleshooting, (S)elf Programming

hmmm...
it's a sound

geeg30
#7 Posted : 3/18/2009 12:31:55 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Couldn't you use FASA?? as there is no evap or freeze precip of extraction solvent which can then be cleared of acetone and used again. Although I've read that naptha wouldn't be the best choice for extraction solvent.
Here you!!! Gonnaenodaethat

"Iceberg???? - What Iceberg????"

randomseed
#8 Posted : 3/18/2009 3:45:57 PM
DMT-Nexus member

geeg30 wrote:
Couldn't you use FASA?? as there is no evap or freeze precip of extraction solvent which can then be cleared of acetone and used again. Although I've read that naptha wouldn't be the best choice for extraction solvent.

Their does seem to be some interesting potential to the fumarate form, it seems like it could be more workable then the straight HCL crashed version. Will be looking into this sometime.

T
#9 Posted : 3/18/2009 7:10:00 PM
DMT-Nexus member

downwardsfromzero wrote:
Jorkest wrote:
distill your solvents

Would it be possible to distill volatile solvents cold, even if it's slower? Cooling down the receiving end instead of heating the naphtha?
"Once I thought I'd been offered a joint but had been given angel dust. I smoked it, but had horrific hallucinations - oh my God, I was out of control.
I saw eight of everything and believed that I could fly.
That was when I stopped taking drugs. I started doing them to be a rebel, then realised that doing drugs just meant I was being an idiot.
Now I hate drugs. I constantly tell kids to stay away from them - they are the root of all evil." - David Gest

GaveUpOnTV
#10 Posted : 3/25/2009 4:34:51 AM
DMT-Nexus member

What SWIM wants very badly is a contraption of some kind; perhaps it is a vacuum evap system, perhaps not, that could collect the solvent while still allowing separation of the freebase spice within.

You mean something like this?:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotary_evaporator

They've got them on ebay, but not too cheap (depending on what you call cheap, of course)

69ron
#11 Posted : 3/25/2009 5:13:03 AM

DMT-Nexus member

downwardsfromzero wrote:
Jorkest wrote:
distill your solvents

That’s why you use DCM instead of naphtha at that point. DMT will NOT distill with DCM. Then when it’s distilled down to almost nothing, you add acetone and distill off the rest of the DCM until there’s just acetone left. That way you recycle 99% of the DCM. You let the acetone evaporate away. Acetone is found in fruit and in the human body so it’s not so bad for the environment to let it evaporate away.

You use heptane to freeze precipitate the DMT and you never let it evaporate.

Or, use a d-limonene tech. That’s as green as you can get.
You may remember me as 69Ron. I was suspended years ago for selling bunk products under false pretenses. I try to sneak back from time to time under different names, but unfortunately, the moderators of the DMT-Nexus are infinitely smarter than I am.

If you see me at the waterpark, please say hello. I'll be the delusional 50 something in the American flag Speedo, oiling up his monster guns while responding to imaginary requests for selfies from invisible teenage girls.