We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Heptane vs Naphta Options

Attention All Shipping
#1 Posted : 3/17/2009 1:13:36 PM
DMT-Nexus member

I had always understood Heptane to be a more efficient puller of DMT than Naphta, can't really explain your experience.

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

Jorkest
#2 Posted : 3/17/2009 1:21:26 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Moderator | Skills: Extraction Troubleshooting, (S)elf ProgrammingChemical expert | Skills: Extraction Troubleshooting, (S)elf Programming

weird..SWIM always used heptane and had great results...try heating it slightly
it's a sound

benzyme
#3 Posted : 3/17/2009 2:05:54 PM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

through swim's experiences, a/b generally yields less (though purer) product than STB (even after recrystallization).
one would need to do a m.p. test to confirm this.

naptha which evaps rather quickly (hours to a day or two) is a mix of C5-C9 hydrocarbons; the really slow evaporating stuff has toluene, m- and o-xylene, and other aromatics. DMT will be more soluble in either type than heptane, (but more soluble in aromatic-based naptha than aliphatic naptha).

swim is using varsol right now, which is aromatic based. it's a pain in the ass, because there is a lot of solvent to evap, and crashing out isn't working.
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted." ~ hassan i sabbah
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

CosmicLion
#4 Posted : 3/17/2009 5:06:30 PM

DMT-Nexus member

My Cosmic Lioness uses warmed heptane exclusively if she can afford & find it. She noticed much cleaner initial results with excellent yields; it seemed that using the heptane for all the pulls also reduced the loss incurred from further heptane recrystallization.

My Cosmic Lioness also digs how fast that heptane reduces down! compared to naptha Laughing
-Eternally Romping the Astral Savannahlands-

Jorkest
#5 Posted : 3/17/2009 5:21:54 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Moderator | Skills: Extraction Troubleshooting, (S)elf ProgrammingChemical expert | Skills: Extraction Troubleshooting, (S)elf Programming

absolutely CosmicLion..its the best stuff for crystallizing....and it does evaporate fast..and it doesnt stink as bad as naphtha does..if you are dropping crystals out with FASA...you should use d-limonene..because it pulls more than xylene(n-oxides, jungle spice, 5-meo-dmt)..and its much much healthier for you..and it also evaporates very slowly so you dont have to worry about covering it up like you do with heptane..or acetone/MEK
it's a sound

69ron
#6 Posted : 3/17/2009 6:28:24 PM

DMT-Nexus member

This Heptane vs Naphtha subject keeps coming up over and over. At least once a month a new thread like this is created. Can we make a sticky for this question so that we can refer people there?

SWIM prefers heptane over naphtha for everything having to do with DMT extraction. He gets cleaner results, it doesn't smell as bad, it evaporates faster, and it freeze precipitates DMT better.
You may remember me as 69Ron. I was suspended years ago for selling bunk products under false pretenses. I try to sneak back from time to time under different names, but unfortunately, the moderators of the DMT-Nexus are infinitely smarter than I am.

If you see me at the waterpark, please say hello. I'll be the delusional 50 something in the American flag Speedo, oiling up his monster guns while responding to imaginary requests for selfies from invisible teenage girls.

Jorkest
#7 Posted : 3/17/2009 9:23:38 PM

DMT-Nexus member

just keep pulling...sometimes the yields do strange things at certain times...one time SWIM was doing a 2kilo extraction..and the first pull yielded just about nothing...but the whole extraction yielded way over 15g of pureness
it's a sound

69ron
#8 Posted : 3/18/2009 12:26:21 AM

DMT-Nexus member

s8championjgh wrote:
swim doesn't understand it. He knows he did a great job on the tek. He used 4 acidic boils and used calcium carbonate to bring to a ph of 11.5. Every time he has done a heptane pull, he warmed it up and also the basic solution. It just seems that the yields are quite small.

The first pull was very disappointing because swim was expecting a very nice yield. He doesn't have a scale but he knows the first pull was less than a gram. That's pretty poor for 500 grams right?

Is that correct? You used calcium carbonate as the base?
You may remember me as 69Ron. I was suspended years ago for selling bunk products under false pretenses. I try to sneak back from time to time under different names, but unfortunately, the moderators of the DMT-Nexus are infinitely smarter than I am.

If you see me at the waterpark, please say hello. I'll be the delusional 50 something in the American flag Speedo, oiling up his monster guns while responding to imaginary requests for selfies from invisible teenage girls.

69ron
#9 Posted : 3/18/2009 4:26:31 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Some people claim they get better results with MHRB specifically when using sodium hydroxide in an A/B. That’s absolutely not the case for chacruna or chaliponga though. SWIM knows that for a fact. He tested sodium hydroxide against sodium carbonate and ammonia as bases for extracting from chacruna and chaliponga and found no difference in the yields.

SWIM never uses sodium hydroxide at all anymore. It’s a very dangerous base.

Are you sure the initial extraction was done well enough? If the initial acid extraction wasn’t done right, you’ll get low yields.

Also, MHRB is not that consistent in alkaloids. If you have bad bark, there’s nothing you can do about it. Also some vendors are unknowingly selling very low yielding bark that looks like MHRB but is actually one of it’s relatives.

69ron
#10 Posted : 3/18/2009 5:51:59 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Was it powder? How long was it boiled?

SWIM vigorously boils powdered bark in water. He gets better results that way.

69ron
#11 Posted : 3/18/2009 8:48:02 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I don't think boiling DMT in an acidic solution is going to cause it to vaporize away. It's not freebase DMT. That just doesn't make any sense to me. SWIM vigorously boils it and gets great yields when the bark is of good quality.

Bark quality is the key. It varies a lot. You can use the exact same procedure with one batch and get 2% yields and then a 0.01% yield from another batch.

One thing that helps to get the DMT out of the water layer is adding about 10 grams of table salt for every 100 ml of water. Then do a pull with the non-polar solvent.

meme
#12 Posted : 3/18/2009 6:26:08 PM
DMT-Nexus member

I wonder if this discrepancy might just be related to the fact that naphtha is not a pure compound, and the mixture is not of a specific composition. Since different manufacturers make naphtha, it is possible that there are simply different products called naphtha. I seem to remember that there was a few different mixtures we found back at the ol' stone age D-WORLD boards (btw, congrats all for making this board TRASH D-WORLD); some naphtha contained methanol, some was mostly hexane, some more heptane. I think that this should be easy to research, if anyone out there has the time.

Anyway, I've been lurking again for a minute, love to all.

69ron
#13 Posted : 3/18/2009 7:12:57 PM

DMT-Nexus member

s8championjgh wrote:
What effect does the table salt have on the basic solution?

It makes the water more polar. That will make the DMT much less soluble in the water.

DMT is said to be "insoluble" in water, but actually it is somewhat soluble in water. If it was completely insoluble in water then it would precipitate out of the water as soon the pH is at or higher than it's pKa of 8.68, but that doesn't happen, so it's soluble enough that it sometimes needs a little nudge to get it out of the water. Adding table salt can often do the trick. It also has the added bonus of breaking many emulsions.

CosmicLion
#14 Posted : 3/19/2009 3:29:19 PM

DMT-Nexus member

s8championjgh wrote:
The majority of swim's topic is discussing his poor yields when pulling with heptane, and how it seems that his crystals are smaller with heptane than naphta.

My lioness has noticed that because heptane evaporates so fast that growing crystals with it has its own technique. She likes to recrystallize as usual with about a 1-2oz heptane per gram of DMT then she lets it sit, covered and untouched, for a few days or more. This forces it to crash out slower and build larger crystals. When she is satisfied with the results she opens the container just partially and lets it evaporate slowly. Maybe this can help you get bigger crystals using heptane? Good luck!
-Eternally Romping the Astral Savannahlands-

69ron
#15 Posted : 3/19/2009 4:32:50 PM

DMT-Nexus member

s8championjgh wrote:
Would it be ok if swim added the table salt now, even though he has already done some pulls?

Yes. Add salt and do another pull and see if you don't get more DMT. You might get quite a bit. It's worth a shot.

DarkShaman
#16 Posted : 3/19/2009 5:27:35 PM

DMT-Nexus member

s8championjgh wrote:
The majority of swim's topic is discussing his poor yields when pulling with heptane, and how it seems that his crystals are smaller with heptane than naphta.

Perhaps one should consider seeking a different brand of heptane.