We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
PREV123
Mushroom growkit colonization (grow log) Options

DeDao
#41 Posted : 2/5/2013 2:46:43 PM

DMT-Nexus member

beautiful!!!
"Think more than you speak"
"How do you get rid of the pain of having pain in the first place? You get rid of expectations"
"You are everything that is. Open yourself to the love and understanding that is available."
"To see God, you have to have met the Devil."
"When you know how to listen, everyone becomes a guru."
" One time, I didn't do anything, and it was so empty... Almost as if I wasn't doing anything. Then I wrote about it. It was fulfilling."

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

เฅ
#42 Posted : 2/5/2013 6:50:18 PM

Psilosopher

Thanks. The golden mushroom is slowly spreading its lovely cap Smile

I have another question though. So far I've been relying on central heating to provide optimal temperatures, but this is getting a bit costly. Is there a cheaper solution that would work with this kind of growkit?

I've seen some people use reptile mats to provide a constant 23°C (some are even sold at smartshops specifially for growing mushrooms), but I wonder if this isn't counter-productive due to the direct heat? Would such a mat work if I elevate the kit slightly above it?

Another solution a lot of people seem to turn to are aquarium heaters, though these are mostly used in tubs and terrariums. Could I perhaps make a sort of tub in a tub to place it in? I know this is used particularly for incubation (the so-called TiT), but could it also be used for fruiting (obviously with lower temps)?

Also, if these methods would be viable, would it provide as good results as heating the entire room with a heater?
"The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion." - Albert Camus

เฅ
#43 Posted : 2/6/2013 12:49:40 AM

Psilosopher

Excuse the double post, I couldn't seem to add pics to my previous post.
The big one is looking about ready for harvest, I'm giving it just a bit longer. I picked one lone mushroom today (apparently a bit late since it seemed to have dropped its spores). I'm curious as to whether these other pins will follow the lead or end up aborting. Looking far better than my first flush either way, I'm happy to see that I at least improved my methods and have some knowledge to take with me for future grows Smile
เฅ attached the following image(s):
IMG_20130206_013635.jpg (1,255kb) downloaded 155 time(s).
IMG_20130206_013759.jpg (1,690kb) downloaded 154 time(s).
IMG_20130206_013742.jpg (1,464kb) downloaded 154 time(s).
IMG_20130206_013719.jpg (1,568kb) downloaded 154 time(s).
"The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion." - Albert Camus

Mr.Peabody
#44 Posted : 2/9/2013 2:00:39 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Lookin tasty!!

Thumbs up

If you can find a cooler big enough for your tub, or even a tub big enough, with blankets wrapped around, you can use an aquarium heater. You'll want it pretty insulated. You'd put the aquarium heater in some type of jug, like a soda bottle, jar, etc and fill it with water (aquarium heaters are meant to be run only in water). This way, you'd have a nice heat source that you can regulate. This avoids the issue of the reptile mat applying heat directly.

It's all I use to heat my mushie babies!
Be an adult only when necessary.

เฅ
#45 Posted : 3/13/2013 10:40:09 PM

Psilosopher

Hey guys, it's been a while Smile

I have recently harvested my third flush, and strangely it's been the best one yet!
One day I came home to a cluster of about 4 big shrooms with another handful of smaller fellas attached to them. There were another couple of large and smaller shrooms as well. All growth is centered on one part of the box now though, seems like the nutrients on the other side are about depleted. The mycelium is currently being dunked, and I will be waiting another good week for perhaps a fourth flush. All in all it's been a really educational project, and I can't wait to start making my own substrates and doing my own inoculating and spore printing soon. And of course trying out some other varieties of cubensis Smile

Michal_R
#46 Posted : 3/14/2013 9:47:59 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Congratulations to your success Smile

เฅ wrote:
...I have recently harvested my third flush, and strangely it's been the best one yet!
I also get the "best" results from the second or third flushes, almost never from the first one...

เฅ wrote:
...All growth is centered on one part of the box now though, seems like the nutrients on the other side are about depleted
I find this quite common - first few flushes from all over the place, later ones from the sides, and also from the "deeper" parts of the sides of the fruiting container.

เฅ wrote:
...The mycelium is currently being dunked, and I will be waiting another good week for perhaps a fourth flush
Great! With the 4th flush, the casing soil sometimes already smells pretty bad, something like a mold. Nothing bad visually, but it just starts smelling... So, take care.

virtusvelox
#47 Posted : 8/12/2013 5:40:55 AM

DMT-Nexus member

awesome read and well done on the babies
TIME; Natures way of making sure everything, doesn't happen at once! author unkwn

PREV123