We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
12NEXT
Cannabis Alchemy Options

Observant
#1 Posted : 3/11/2009 10:50:27 PM

Nothing Stops The Void

First - download this Ebook Cannabis Alchemy-The Art of Modern Hashmaking

I just found this Source on Erowid and its getting me quite a bit excited , the process sounds not too hard , given to the fact that Butane extraction provides a high purity Hash Oil (Honey-Oil) very easiely.

Take a look:
burnt wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

The collective name given to the terpenes found in Cannabis is cannabinoids. Most of the naturally occurring cannabinoids have now been identified, and three are the most abundant—cannabidiol (CBD), tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), and cannabinol (CBN). The steps from CBD to THC to CBN represent the biosynthetic pathway in the plant. THC is an optically active resinous material that is very lipid-soluble but water-insoluble; these physical properties make pharmacological investigations difficult, since various non-polar solvents must be used. Although many other materials have been found in this plant, the cannabinoids are unique to it and THC is the only one with appreciable mental affects. THC is believed to be largely, if not solely, responsible for the effects desired by those who use Cannabis socially. Virtually all the effects pro-Biosynthetic Pathway of Cannabinoids induced by smoking or eating some of the whole plant can be attained by using THC alone.

This contains misinformation. CBG-acid (cannabigerolic acid) is the biosynthetic precursor to THC-acid CBC acid and CBD acid. CBN is a break down product of THC. THey are not terpeneds but terpenophenolics. THC-acid and other cannabinoid acids convert when heated to neutral form which is what gets you high.

Quote:
>OK, now that I have my copy of "Dr. Atomic's Marijuana Multiplier" in
>front of me, I see that he used Sulfuric acid, not HCl. Isomerization
>coverts cannabidiol and weak THCs to yer favorite #9. Anywhere from
>double to 5 times original potency.

per Cannabis Alchemy,

Cannabidiol
|
| Heat and
| H+ (from the acid)
|
\ /

Delta-9 THC (using formal numbering)
Delta-1 THC (using monoterpenoid numbering)
|
| Heat and
| H+ (from a stronger acid acting longer)
|
\ /

Delta-6 THC (aka Delta-8 THC -- depends on the numbering system used)

This Delta-6 THC is a higher-rotating form of tetrahydrocannabinol.
D. Gold (author of Cannabis Alchemy) suggests that the higher-rotating
forms "are more potent than the low-rotating and produce a higher,
more psychedelic and spritual effect." He notes a study done by
Mechoulan (1970) which showed little difference between the
pharmacological effects of Delta-9 and Delta-6. I'll leave it to
the reader to experiment for him/herself.

The "rotating" spoken of here refers to the relative positions of
the double bonding in the THC molecule. [chemists out there feel
free to chime in...]

The first reaction, Cannabidiol --> Delta-9 THC, is, I think, what
is generally referred to as isomerization. This can occur in an
absolute ethanol solution with .05% HCL boiled for 2 hours (the
"hash" oil is in solution in the ethanol, obviously). The
increase in potency you'll get depends on the relative amounts of
Cannabidiol and THC in the original oil. If there were 1 part
THC and 1 part Cannabidiol, then you might expect a doubling of
potency after isomerization.

The second reaction, Delta-1/9 --> Delta-6/8, is an additional step to
get the allegedly more potent higher-rotating form of THC. It requires
more vigorous conditions. D. Gold notes that in a toluene solution
with p-toluenesulfonic acid for 10 hours at 100 degrees C there is a
90% conversion rate of Delta-1 to Delta-6 (the THC/hash oil is in
solution in the toluene).

Gold also gives a discussion about producing THC acetate, which he
says has *twice* the potency of regular THC. It's very involved,
and potentially hazardous...

http://www.erowid.org/pl...annabis_chemistry2.shtml
More Information found (Psychedelic Chemistry)
Shulgin on the Subject: http://www.druglibrary.net/olsen/DEA/shulgin.html

It sounds worth trying , doesn't it ?
Had he more quickly realized just who they were,he would have shown them more respect.Had he tried harder to fathom their brilliant minds,he would have taken more of their teachings to heart.Had he more clearly understood the purpose of their being,
he would have more vigorously tried to assist them.They were truly honorable; he was sadly prejudiced.
They were exceedingly well informed; he was grossly ignorant.They were totally indefatigable; he so often, and so quickly,gave up. Still, for many years there was a strong inter-species alliance between the Eleven-Eleven of the Half-way Realm, their Seraphic Associates,and their flesh-and-blood friend, a common mortal. Much was accomplished, many profited, and, there’s only one regret...They could have achieved so much more...

All Hypnotizing Hypnotizes Hypnotizing

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

GirlsHateMe
#2 Posted : 3/12/2009 9:07:57 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Id have to look into this more to get the balls to try it.
For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places. Wherefore take unto you the whole Armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand. - Ephesians 6:12-13

GHM is an internet handle, a fictional one at that, the person I portray in no way depicts real life actions and or opinions. After all, whats the internet for besides pretending to be someone you arent! Also, no girls do not really hate me.

Observant
#3 Posted : 3/12/2009 9:40:36 PM

Nothing Stops The Void

This is what seems to be a simpliefied TEK for the conversion

Quote:
"Dissolve the hash oil in absolute ethanol or pure methanol in the ratio
of one gram extract to ten grams solvent.
There must be no water in this solution, as the next step is the addition of one drop of 100%
sulfuric acid per gram of extract. Add the acid slowly, drop by drop,
stirring slowly and completely, with a long glass stirring rod.
Place a Pyrex pot containing the extract-alcohol-acid solution into the refluxing apparatus
and reflux for two hours. The acid will not evaporate and will remain in the Pyrex pot.
Allow to cool. Take the cooled solution, pour with an equal volume of water and 1/2 volume of
petroleum ether into the ether-extraction apparatus (separation funnel).
Allow to settle, and drain the ether extract layer. This leaves an ether-extract-acid mix
from which the acid must be purged.

To accomplish this, pour the ether-extract-solution into four volumes of 5%
sodium bicarbonate solution (1 gram bicarb. in 20 grams of water).
This will neutralize the acid, releasing CO2 and leaving a solution of sodium
sulphate. Allow this to settle into layers, then drain the ether-extract layer.
Mix the ether-extract solution with an equal volume of pure water and let it separate.
Drain off the ether-extract layer.
Evaporate the ether and what remains is hash oil in which all of the cannabinoids
have been converted into THC."
Had he more quickly realized just who they were,he would have shown them more respect.Had he tried harder to fathom their brilliant minds,he would have taken more of their teachings to heart.Had he more clearly understood the purpose of their being,
he would have more vigorously tried to assist them.They were truly honorable; he was sadly prejudiced.
They were exceedingly well informed; he was grossly ignorant.They were totally indefatigable; he so often, and so quickly,gave up. Still, for many years there was a strong inter-species alliance between the Eleven-Eleven of the Half-way Realm, their Seraphic Associates,and their flesh-and-blood friend, a common mortal. Much was accomplished, many profited, and, there’s only one regret...They could have achieved so much more...

Observant
#4 Posted : 3/15/2009 1:34:20 PM

Nothing Stops The Void

I think this method is the method they use to make half-synthetic delta-9-thc from the resin of industrial hemp , high in cbd. The more cbd present , the more efficiently it works.

Also interesting:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZFJE4kjjdY

psychosisdoses
#5 Posted : 3/21/2009 2:17:31 PM

Derek

thank you for spurring my interest.... shape shifting gorillas that live in my walls have communicated to me that they will soon have alot of trim... they say they will do a good ol butane extract on it but are very excited to experiment with this... those gorillas sure are crazy (living in walls and such) but they make some damn good weedables
"once youve locked yourself into a serious drug collection the tendency is to push it as far as you can..." - hunter s. thompson

~~~~~~~~...You are me and i am you, i will always be with you...~~~~~~~~IAmUsWeYouMe~~~~~~~~
‹maxzar100› YOU are like acid
‹mattimus› dosesdosingdoses

psychosisdoses
#6 Posted : 4/4/2009 6:14:41 AM

Derek

okay SWIM is going to be doing a butane super critical from a trim/bud mixture using a honeybee (nice product)

they want to try this isomerzation mumbo jumbo
their understanding leaves them to want to .... take the oil dissolve in 100% ethanol (distilled from either vokda or everclear) add one drop of 98% sulfuric acid per gram of oil and reflux in a glass liter bottle submerged in a heat bath (170F?) the bottle will have a funnel around half with ice too cool top of bottle.... bottle will be sealed with rubber stopper (is this bad? chance of bursting from pressures)

reflux for two hours then decant into separation funnel add equal volume water and 1/2 naphtha
mix and separate the ether then wash 4 times with a soda wash then once with water

then just evap the naphtha

sound good to SWIY?
"once youve locked yourself into a serious drug collection the tendency is to push it as far as you can..." - hunter s. thompson

~~~~~~~~...You are me and i am you, i will always be with you...~~~~~~~~IAmUsWeYouMe~~~~~~~~

psychosisdoses
#7 Posted : 4/4/2009 1:31:11 PM

Derek

upon further investigation i have learned 100% ethanol is not possible with normal distillation
best one can hope for is about 96.5%

some options iv found so far is drying agents known as molecular sieves anyone know more about this? or vacuum distillation with benzene which i dont think swim will be doing...

swim has some denatured androgynous ethanol....

"Anhydrous Ethanol

Traces of water removed from E85 (ethanol denatured with gasoline) by standing over activated 3A sieves overnight followed by fractional distillation through ~6' vigreux column. No low boilers- Tight boiling range (76 to 78 C).

Purity 90 to 95%. Suitable for most laboratory applications requiring anhydrous ethanol."

not sure if they want to use this though......

this fellow does it all in ether which would be naphtha in my case

Quote:
Dissolve the extract in 10 times its own weight in ether. SLOWLY, add one drop
of sulfuric acid for each gram of extract, stirring with a glass rod. Heat as
in the initial extraction, with the jar covered by a watchglass. Cook two
hours, stirring occasionally, and allow to cool.

Mix the solution with an equal volume of cold water and one-half its volume of
cold ether, and repeat the shaking and separation steps. Take extract and
slowly add the calcined ash from the first extraction. Stir it all in, and run
the solution through filter paper to strain the ash sediment out. Check for
any remaining acid by adding a small pinch of sodium bicarbonate (baking
soda). If the solution fizzes, keep adding bicarb very slowly until fizzing
stops.

Add fresh water and ether, shake and separate. Cook at 104F until the ether is
evaporated. Voila! You now have essence of cannabis, which can contain
anywhere from 85 to 99 percent THC.

source
not sure what he was talklin bout the calcined ash
but perhaps naphtha could be used instead of ethanol
considering the ethanol must be 100%

psychosisdoses
#8 Posted : 4/5/2009 7:11:05 AM

Derek

question would mgSO4 make ethanol 100%

bufoman
#9 Posted : 4/5/2009 6:15:02 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Chemical expertSenior Member

No but it should help some what. Let it sit covered for several hours just to be safe. Then fractional distill if possible. The drier one can get the better but it is likely that water will decrease the yield but not ruin the reaction.

A great book on Cannabis Chemistry is Marijuana Chemistry Genetics, Processing & Potency by Michael Starks. If one is seriously interested in this topic they should definetly obtain a copy of this book, great stuff on a variety of cannabis related topics.

In the book he claims that the isomerization of CBD to (delta-1) THC that relativly non-polar solvents (like benzene or pet ether) are actually best but one has to use an acid which is soluble in such solvents such as p-toluenesulfonic acid or triflueoracetic acid. No matter what one uses one wants a ratio of 1g CBD in 100ml solvent which is .005molar acid content.
Reflux 1 hour
Approximate observed yields:
Alcohols (MeOH, EtOH) 60%
Organic solvents 90%

If one is interested they should certainly check this book out. This is a fascinating subject and the book has some great info in it.

psychosisdoses
#10 Posted : 4/5/2009 6:27:31 PM

Derek

thanks for the reply that does sound like a cool book to check out thanks for the suggestion
i do seriously want to try this... its looking like ill want to use ether (naptha) anyone know what acid could be used with this solvent to get the desired reaction?

thanks for your help!

bufoman
#11 Posted : 4/5/2009 6:31:17 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Naptha would work fine however It has to be an acid that is soluble in naptha. These are hard to get unless you have access to a chem lab. The two acids I stated above are the two most common (p-toluenesulfonic acid or triflueoracetic acid) because of the difficulty in obtaining these SWIM may have to work with the alcohol and HCL or H2SO4.

psychosisdoses
#12 Posted : 4/5/2009 6:33:17 PM

Derek

bufoman wrote:
Naptha would work fine however It has to be an acid that is soluble in naptha. These are hard to get unless you have access to a chem lab. The two acids I stated above are the two most common (p-toluenesulfonic acid or triflueoracetic acid) because of the difficulty in obtaining these SWIM may have to work with the alcohol and HCL or H2SO4.

thats a bloody shame seems theres a wall around every corner Sad

im still trying to figure out how i could do this though...

bufoman
#13 Posted : 4/5/2009 6:39:57 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Depending on the specific extract one may not need to perform an isomerization. Genetics, environment, time of harvest... influence the levels and ratios of various cannabinoids. Depending on the product in question a extraction of cannabinoids with butane or hexane, heptane may yield a sufficiently potent product. If one has a low ratio of CBD to THC then there is no need to isomerize as it will not result in a significantly higher potency preparation. The book also covers how to determine the amount of CBD and THC in a sample and when one should isomerize.

'Coatl
#14 Posted : 4/5/2009 6:44:14 PM

Teotzlcoatl

I've heard you can use naphtha to extract the THC from pipe resin.
WARNING: DO NOT INGEST ANY BOTANICAL WHICH YOU HAVE NOT FULLY RESEARCHED AND CORRECTLY IDENTIFIED!!!

I am Teotzlcoatl, older cousin of Quetzalcoatl. My most famous physical incarnation was Nezahualcoyotl, but I have taken many forms since the dawn of the cosmos. In this realm I manifest as multiple entities at a single time. I am many, I am numbered. I am few, but more than one. I am a multifaceted being, a winged serpent with many heads. We are Teotzlcoatl.

"We Are The One's We've Been Waiting For" - Hopi Proverb

bufoman
#15 Posted : 4/5/2009 6:48:26 PM

DMT-Nexus member

You definitely can but what SWIM has found as it is quite hard to obtain a "pure" or rather clean product it still has a blackish tar like state. Even with decolorizing with carbon. Strangely it has an almond like scent..? (at least sometimes) However if one had access to column or flash chromatography they certainly could purify it.

The best solvents for cannabinoids are butane, hexane, heptane, or any large aliphatic non-polar solvents.

It has been SWIMs dream to move to cali or the netherlands and extract and isolate each of the 60 plus cannabinoids in sufficient quantities and ingest each and everyone to determine psycho-activity. Different cannabis strains certainly has unique types of highs which are determined by the ratios and levels of various cannabinoids not just THC. Furthermore as our community knows very well there is more than just receptor (CB1) binding involved as antagonist activity at metabolic enzymes are also important...

'Coatl
#16 Posted : 4/5/2009 8:48:27 PM

Teotzlcoatl

Quote:
It has been SWIMs dream to move to cali or the netherlands and extract and isolate each of the 60 plus cannabinoids in sufficient quantities and ingest each and everyone to determine psycho-activity. Different cannabis strains certainly has unique types of highs which are determined by the ratios and levels of various cannabinoids not just THC.

Very excellent idea! Make it happen!
WARNING: DO NOT INGEST ANY BOTANICAL WHICH YOU HAVE NOT FULLY RESEARCHED AND CORRECTLY IDENTIFIED!!!

I am Teotzlcoatl, older cousin of Quetzalcoatl. My most famous physical incarnation was Nezahualcoyotl, but I have taken many forms since the dawn of the cosmos. In this realm I manifest as multiple entities at a single time. I am many, I am numbered. I am few, but more than one. I am a multifaceted being, a winged serpent with many heads. We are Teotzlcoatl.

"We Are The One's We've Been Waiting For" - Hopi Proverb

psychosisdoses
#17 Posted : 4/5/2009 9:48:59 PM

Derek

psychosisdoses wrote:

"Anhydrous Ethanol

Traces of water removed from E85 (ethanol denatured with gasoline) by standing over activated 3A sieves overnight followed by fractional distillation through ~6' vigreux column. No low boilers- Tight boiling range (76 to 78 C).

Purity 90 to 95%. Suitable for most laboratory applications requiring anhydrous ethanol."

dry ethanol with traces of gasoline????
im guessing this should not be used?

methanol would work right? with sulfuric acid?
i have found a source for 99% methanol..

bufoman
#18 Posted : 4/5/2009 9:54:43 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I think this is just in reference to denatured alcohol. This is the stuff they sell at hardware stores it is 95 plus % pure EtOH however they add some hydrocarbon solvents to prevent people from abusing it (there are likely other reasons but this is what SWIM has heard about). You would not have to add gasoline to your ethanol to perform the drying process. But you could use denatured alcohol from hardware store.

psychosisdoses
#19 Posted : 4/5/2009 10:14:29 PM

Derek

bufoman wrote:
I think this is just in reference to denatured alcohol. This is the stuff they sell at hardware stores it is 95 plus % pure EtOH however they add some hydrocarbon solvents to prevent people from abusing it (there are likely other reasons but this is what SWIM has heard about). You would not have to add gasoline to your ethanol to perform the drying process. But you could use denatured alcohol from hardware store.

no it was some ethanol i got off ebay the quote is how the guy processed it

it was from e85 ethanol/gasoline and he dried it with a molecular sieve and distilled in a fractional column? im not sure exactly.. the quote was the description that was given...

but i think i will use methanol as i can get that in 99%

bufoman
#20 Posted : 4/5/2009 10:34:05 PM

DMT-Nexus member

O gotcha. Yea methanol would be good, also one can obtain 99% IPA at many stores easily.

12NEXT