We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Lights powered by gravity Options

Vodsel
#1 Posted : 12/14/2012 5:26:08 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Senior Member | Skills: Filmmaking and Storytelling, Video and Audio Technology, Teaching, Gardening, Languages (Proficient Spanish, Catalan and English, and some french, italian and russian), Seafood cuisine

Lights powered by gravity brighten rural areas.

Quote:
Designers Martin Riddiford and Jim Reeves of London have come up with an incredibly clever concept for a light that runs on renewable energy and that energy source can be found at any time of day or night, in any weather, and for any length of time. That's because the energy source for this lamp is... gravity.

The GravityLight runs kind of like old Grandfather clocks, with weights keeping the light running. The weight needs to be reset every 30 minutes and as long as someone is willing to go reset the weight, the light keeps shining.

Very nice gadget with a lot of possibilities for improvement. What about springs instead of weights? Or maybe pulling a weight is easier than winding a key... free light anyways, for $10 a piece.

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

spinCycle
#2 Posted : 12/14/2012 6:27:18 PM

Life is Art is Life

Cool.

With a bit of creative use of gears I could see getting much more than 1/2 hour from it. As you said, maybe power it from a spring wound up like a clock mechanism or something. Or, put a pulley in a treetop, throw a cable up and over and raise the weight up to 100 feet or so. Smile

I wonder if he could come up with a 1000 W Metal Halide or HPS version. Big grin Thumbs up
Images of broken light,
Which dance before me like a million eyes,
They call me on and on...

D.REYx420
#3 Posted : 12/14/2012 8:08:52 PM

DMT-Nexus member

ha thats sweet nice find.
"we are not human being's having spiritual experiences, we are spiritual being's having human experience's." (Teilhard de Chardin (1975?)

hixidom
#4 Posted : 12/14/2012 11:37:53 PM
DMT-Nexus member

I mean, it's not so much gravity-powered as it is man-powered in that the energy from which the light is powered comes from a person. You could use a motor engine to raise the bag and then it would be a gas-powered light.
Every day I am thankful that I was introduced to psychedelic drugs.

ipumaestro
#5 Posted : 12/15/2012 11:07:03 PM

catdestined

hixidom wrote:
then it would be a gas-powered light.

exactly Very happy
achuma puma

The Day Tripper
#6 Posted : 12/16/2012 12:05:00 AM

Rennasauce Man

Location: A Pale Blue Dot orbiting a GV2 Yellow Dwarf fusion powered Luminous Ball of Plasma at 30km/s
Pretty neat. Thumbs up

A 10w led light is pretty damn bright, enough so to replace a 60w incandescent imho/e.

Pair that with a small gear enhanced gravity generator, a tree, and some thick ass wire to not have resistive loss in the wires conductivity, and hey, mabey you could get an all day light out of it.

Or better yet, a few sla cells, a bigboy version (or cloud scaling) of this gravity power generator, and you could provide more than just the few watts it takes to run led lights in rural/undeveloped parts of the world. Perhaps use a pulley/rope loop system and hook the weight on a rope, locate the generator closer to the load, and then the resistive loss in long wire runs won't be a problem. You could also just turn a crank right next to the generator to move the system in reverse, and use a tall tree located farther away to get a higher gravity/power potential.

More of a caloric/electrical power converter, operating on the principles of gravity if you get all sematic about it, as you burn calories raising the weight to generate the power. Razz Laughing
"let those who have talked to the elves, find each other and band together" -TMK

In a society in which nearly everybody is dominated by somebody else's mind or by a disembodied mind, it becomes increasingly difficult to learn the truth about the activities of governments and corporations, about the quality or value of products, or about the health of one's own place and economy.
In such a society, also, our private economies will depend less upon the private ownership of real, usable property, and more upon property that is institutional and abstract, beyond individual control, such as money, insurance policies, certificates of deposit, stocks, etc. And as our private economies become more abstract, the mutual, free helps and pleasures of family and community life will be supplanted by a kind of displaced citizenship and by commerce with impersonal and self-interested suppliers...
The great enemy of freedom is the alignment of political power with wealth. This alignment destroys the commonwealth - that is, the natural wealth of localities and the local economies of household, neighborhood, and community - and so destroys democracy, of which the commonwealth is the foundation and practical means.” - Wendell Berry

Vodsel
#7 Posted : 12/17/2012 8:25:40 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Senior Member | Skills: Filmmaking and Storytelling, Video and Audio Technology, Teaching, Gardening, Languages (Proficient Spanish, Catalan and English, and some french, italian and russian), Seafood cuisine

Day Tripper, maybe you should drop by the developers workshop... you might turn on a few light bulbs Thumbs up

TOXSIN
#8 Posted : 4/21/2013 2:01:29 AM

Knowledge is power, at the price of losing the bliss of ignorance

This is an amazing find I might consider using some of these in the future if available commercially...
Understand: Nature knows no EVIL, Nature knows no GOOD, people know these things, because we perceive these things, with the gift of senses given to us at birth. A good or bad experience is simply a bridge to a another existential time frame, so always live in the moment and make every one a positive moment!

Any and all posts or interactions are to be held as my fictional writings/short stories or dreams. I may even have some delirium setting in, I've never been tested for it. The only exception to this is the statement about nature above, I feel this is a fact!

hixidom
#9 Posted : 4/21/2013 10:09:51 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Quote:
This is an amazing find I might consider using some of these in the future if available commercially...

How hard can it be to make? Buy a small motor to use [in reverse] as a generator. mount it to something, wrap a rope around the axle, and hang something heavy from it. Attach some LEDs to the outputs of the generator (inputs of the motor) and that is it.
Every day I am thankful that I was introduced to psychedelic drugs.

The Day Tripper
#10 Posted : 4/22/2013 6:54:38 AM

Rennasauce Man

Location: A Pale Blue Dot orbiting a GV2 Yellow Dwarf fusion powered Luminous Ball of Plasma at 30km/s
hixidom wrote:
Quote:

How hard can it be to make? Buy a small motor to use [in reverse] as a generator. mount it to something, wrap a rope around the axle, and hang something heavy from it. Attach some LEDs to the outputs of the generator (inputs of the motor) and that is it.

A few things to consider-

A) The right motor to get you a dc signal, fused and filtered by a properly rated capacitor if you want to run it without a buffer/battery.

B) you need drivers for your leds, or you will just burn them up instantly hooked up to a (potentially) high current source like a dc motor "generator". Also consider the voltage produced by the motor, and the rpm.

C) much easier with a buffer supercap bank after the motor, and a voltage regulator. Then hook your drivers up to a fixed voltage source thats been filtered. Or, do the same with a small sla battery and a cheap solar charger controller.

You can't just slap it together without considering the type of power generated (some motors generate ac iirc), the rpm and power output (voltage & amperage) of the motor, and the fact that if you give the led's too much current they will burn up real fast, you will almost certainly need a driver, and ideally some kind of power buffer bank like some big caps in serial/parallel, or a lead acid battery (can be real small, like 12v 1ah or so), and a battery charger that can take the raw input from your motor and charge the battery to a float voltage.

Or like i said, a couple big caps, and a voltage regulator, and a driver for your led.

Then do the math regarding rpm, and what voltage that gives you. Will your pulleys/gear ratio give you the desired voltage to run a led or charge your caps/battery?

Finally, always use fuses. Especially when working with cap banks and batterys. And NEVER run a led from a raw input from a dc motor generator, or charge a cap bank/battery unless you've done your homework and wont destroy/catch on fire whatever you are powering/charging.

Its not too complex in terms of diy electronics though. I have a diy 10w led lamp run by a buckpuck brand driver, that can take a wide input voltage. You can run it off a lead acid battery, solar panel under 24v, any battery under 24v, just fuse it.

The voltage regulator, and cap bank would give you a clean dc signal of a fixed voltage, hence less design necessitys on the load side (what your powering). Always need drivers for leds though.

B)
"let those who have talked to the elves, find each other and band together" -TMK

In a society in which nearly everybody is dominated by somebody else's mind or by a disembodied mind, it becomes increasingly difficult to learn the truth about the activities of governments and corporations, about the quality or value of products, or about the health of one's own place and economy.
In such a society, also, our private economies will depend less upon the private ownership of real, usable property, and more upon property that is institutional and abstract, beyond individual control, such as money, insurance policies, certificates of deposit, stocks, etc. And as our private economies become more abstract, the mutual, free helps and pleasures of family and community life will be supplanted by a kind of displaced citizenship and by commerce with impersonal and self-interested suppliers...
The great enemy of freedom is the alignment of political power with wealth. This alignment destroys the commonwealth - that is, the natural wealth of localities and the local economies of household, neighborhood, and community - and so destroys democracy, of which the commonwealth is the foundation and practical means.” - Wendell Berry