We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
African Acacia cultivation thread Options

xantho
#1 Posted : 12/7/2012 6:46:50 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I'm in the process of germinating Acacia seeds from four different species for the first time so I thought I'd chart my progress here. I would love input from any other Acacia growers out there - especially those who cultivate African species.

A. karroo
A. albida
A. nilotica
A. sieberiana var. woodii

*In hindsight I realize that I should have included a ruler in the images.
xantho attached the following image(s):
Acacia karroo seeds.JPG (1,494kb) downloaded 174 time(s).
Acacia albida.JPG (1,205kb) downloaded 173 time(s).
Acacia nilotica seeds.JPG (1,507kb) downloaded 174 time(s).
Acacia sieberiana var woodii.JPG (2,774kb) downloaded 173 time(s).

"Becoming a person of the plants is not a learning process, it is a remembering process. Somewhere in our ancestral line, there was someone that lived deeply connected to the Earth, the Elements, the Sun, Moon and Stars. That ancestor lives inside our DNA, dormant, unexpressed, waiting to be remembered and brought back to life to show us the true nature of our indigenous soul" - Sajah Popham.

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

acacian
#2 Posted : 12/7/2012 10:00:49 PM

DMT-Nexus member

xantho
#3 Posted : 12/7/2012 10:32:37 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks for inspiring me to grow closer to the trees, brother acacian Wink

"Becoming a person of the plants is not a learning process, it is a remembering process. Somewhere in our ancestral line, there was someone that lived deeply connected to the Earth, the Elements, the Sun, Moon and Stars. That ancestor lives inside our DNA, dormant, unexpressed, waiting to be remembered and brought back to life to show us the true nature of our indigenous soul" - Sajah Popham.

nen888
#4 Posted : 12/8/2012 12:24:04 AM
member for the trees

Acacia expert | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, CounsellingExtraordinary knowledge | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, CounsellingSenior Member | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, Counselling

..cool thread xantho..!Thumbs up

as African acacias are probably not as fire-adapted as australian, i would suggest gentle 'scarification' to germinate the seeds..either take a small nick out of the edge of the hard seed coat with a pair of scissors or sharp knife, being careful not to damage the soft internal 'germ', or rub off some of the outer coat with a file or sandpaper till the softer interior is reached..then soak the seeds in water for a few days to a week or two..check the next and each day..when the seeds start to swell in size, and become a slightly paler colour usually, then remove them from the water and sprout in moss/cotton wool etc..

and watch out for rodents eating the new shoots a few weeks after sprouting!..

Vodsel
#5 Posted : 12/8/2012 12:49:22 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Senior Member | Skills: Filmmaking and Storytelling, Video and Audio Technology, Teaching, Gardening, Languages (Proficient Spanish, Catalan and English, and some french, italian and russian), Seafood cuisine

Awesome, xantho, I will follow this closely.

Actually, I hope nen eventually has no choice but to start an Acacia Grow Logs Checklist thread...

nen888
#6 Posted : 12/8/2012 12:54:54 AM
member for the trees

Acacia expert | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, CounsellingExtraordinary knowledge | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, CounsellingSenior Member | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, Counselling

^..i had no choice in this long ago! lolLaughing

xantho
#7 Posted : 12/8/2012 9:29:03 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks for the info nen. I started between 6 and 9 seeds from each species last Saturday after having submerged them in boiling water and then leaving them overnight to soak. If I have time tomorrow I'll throw some pictures up with a bit of action Wink The A. karroo and A. sieberiana var. woodii have already started popping up! I will nick the seed coats and follow your instructions with the next round and compare germination rates.

Thanks Vodsel! I'm hoping to apply some lessons learned from your thread to help them thrive.

nen888
#8 Posted : 12/10/2012 2:03:39 AM
member for the trees

..i can't get that Nigrescens peripherally out of my head now xantho..and i know and love East Africa well..Smile
here's a short video from N.E of you..Gardening:Acacia Trees In Tanzania

xantho
#9 Posted : 12/10/2012 2:13:50 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Hey that's a great video nen Smile I haven't been too far up that way but I'm sure it must be incredible!

Nigrescens sure does have a unique look about her Pleased

Would you believe it, I planted all of my Acacia seeds on 1 December and so far some of the A. karroo (first two pics) and A. sieberiana var. woodii (bottom pic) have already popped up! Very happy Powerful and purposeful; from the earth they rise.
P1000863edit.JPG (1,280kb) downloaded 133 time(s).
P1000866edit.JPG (1,425kb) downloaded 130 time(s).
P1000870edit.JPG (1,833kb) downloaded 132 time(s).

xantho
#10 Posted : 12/20/2012 4:03:25 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Updated photos taken an hour ago.

First: A. sieberiana var. woodii (left) A. karroo (right)
Second: A. sieberiana var. woodii (foreground) A. karroo (background)
Third: A. nilotica

Smile
Sieb and Karroo 20 Dec 12.JPG (1,711kb) downloaded 124 time(s).
Sieb and Karroo 2 20 Dec 12.JPG (1,126kb) downloaded 125 time(s).
Nilotica 20 Dec 12.JPG (1,477kb) downloaded 125 time(s).

nen888
#11 Posted : 12/21/2012 2:39:01 AM
member for the trees

..awesome xantho! thanks for posting..you and treelets be well..Smile!

xantho
#12 Posted : 2/5/2014 7:05:17 PM

DMT-Nexus member

A sad post after such a long absence: I'd love to be able to post updated images but I relocated a few months ago and was unable to bring my precious trees with me Crying or very sad I left them with an interested party I no longer have contact with and can only hope they are still healthy.

I've started some A. nilotica and A. xanthophloea seeds and will be germinating a wide variety of other African Acacias soon. I'll do my best to post regular updates.

In more positive news: I have three gorgeous Anadenanthera peregrina var. peregrina saplings of approximately 18cm, one Mimosa ophthalmocentra recovering from complete leaf-loss, and at least six radiant sprouts on two Psychotria viridis leaves Thumbs up Much love to all the Acacians!