We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Making Vegan Cannabis Butter for baking with... Options

piacat
#1 Posted : 12/2/2012 11:18:04 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Hello,

Thought I'd put this here - my experiences with cooking cannabis butter with vegan ingredients. I hope many of you can appreciate the inherent cruelty involved in the dairy industry. And if you're trying to have a good time and enjoy your trip, there is no need for sentient beings to suffer for it.

Making Cannabis butter doesn't work with margarine.... here's a cruelty free list of things that WILL work.

Coconut Oil, is my far the most effective.
Avocado Oil Spread, Macadamia Oil Spread (need to be solid blocks, not, cooking oil varieties)
If you're in a pinch, earth balance and nuttelex will work. Although nuttelex contains palm oil, think of the orangutans!

All of these ingredients, I've used, and seen solidify completely after cooking (with the exception of earth balance, which isn't sold in my country).

Other than this, the method is the same. You just need to be careful with heat, since these varieties of fat have a lower melting point than regular butter, making them more susceptible to catching. I strongly urge you to try the coconut oil / butter. It is so luscious and beautiful.

<3 Pia

,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"- Hoot hoot

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

Mitakuye Oyasin
#2 Posted : 12/2/2012 11:46:50 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks for the suggestions. My friend uses Olive oil. Never heard about Coconut oil until recently, but from what I understand the cannabis really likes the fats in this oil. I've heard to use a crock pot on low setting for a day or two. Any suggested teks for getting the goodies into the oil and in what aprrox measurements?
Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous.
β€” Terence McKenna

All my posts are hypothetical and for educational/entertainment purposes, and are not an endorsement of said activities. SWIM (a fictional character based on other people) either obtained a license for said activity, did said activity where it is legal to do so, or as in most cases the activity is completely fictional.

benzyme
#3 Posted : 12/2/2012 11:56:41 PM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

cannabinoids are soluble in many lipophilic compounds, which makes me doubt that they would not be soluble in margarine. I find that very hard to believe.
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted." ~ hassan i sabbah
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

piacat
#4 Posted : 12/3/2012 1:32:14 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Well, I've cooked countless batches of butter from plants I've grown from seed outdoors and lovingly cared for, and can personally say that in my experience margarine can be a hit and miss exercise and usually there is a lot of wasteage. Also, often there can be issues with getting the margarine to solidify. You can often end up with a sludgy mixture that is not awesome to cook with and compromises the texture of the end product. The issue is that some margarines will work, others don't seem to, I don't know exactly why - it has been suggested that it may be that most margarines are 'fat reduced' these days, and the way they're processed. I've even had one margarine turn 'grainy'. But by all means, use margarine if you want to... I just think that the other options mentioned there work better.

I've never bothered with measurements because it's been the kiffer we've used so it doesn't go to waste. But you can make it as strong or as weak as you like. I've not tried a crock pot (awesome idea!) but I just cook it down on low on the stove for an hour, pass it through a colander, return to the heat for another couple of minutes, then pass through cheesecloth. Lasts in the freezer for longer than it ever takes to use it up. Lots of people add water, I never have, and I have no idea why one would. But, apparently you can add water.

x

,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"- Hoot hoot

benzyme
#5 Posted : 12/3/2012 1:35:23 AM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

piacat wrote:
Also, often there can be issues with getting the margarine to solidify.You can often end up with a sludgy mixture that is not awesome to cook with and compromises the texture of the end product.

oh ok, this makes sense. it's an issue with saturation.
unsaturated fats do not solidify well with other unsaturated fats.
they tend to coagulate
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted." ~ hassan i sabbah
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

The Day Tripper
#6 Posted : 12/3/2012 3:07:29 AM

Rennasauce Man

Location: A Pale Blue Dot orbiting a GV2 Yellow Dwarf fusion powered Luminous Ball of Plasma at 30km/s
No mention of hemp seed oil?

Thats like the original gangsta as far as oil based cannabis spreads/vegan cannabutter. Granted, not a viable single option, but added with a more viscous or solid lipid like coconut oil, or peanut/almond butter, definately deserves a mention.

Or hell, take your cannabis oil/hemp oil mixture, and mix/blend enough hemp seed to make a paste. Granted its not butter, but its all cannabis derived ingredients, which is pretty neat. And hemp seeds are damn tasty raw or toasted imho.

Its like nature designed it that way (though thats human idealism ignoring how evolutinon actually works, its still fun to think about).
"let those who have talked to the elves, find each other and band together" -TMK

In a society in which nearly everybody is dominated by somebody else's mind or by a disembodied mind, it becomes increasingly difficult to learn the truth about the activities of governments and corporations, about the quality or value of products, or about the health of one's own place and economy.
In such a society, also, our private economies will depend less upon the private ownership of real, usable property, and more upon property that is institutional and abstract, beyond individual control, such as money, insurance policies, certificates of deposit, stocks, etc. And as our private economies become more abstract, the mutual, free helps and pleasures of family and community life will be supplanted by a kind of displaced citizenship and by commerce with impersonal and self-interested suppliers...
The great enemy of freedom is the alignment of political power with wealth. This alignment destroys the commonwealth - that is, the natural wealth of localities and the local economies of household, neighborhood, and community - and so destroys democracy, of which the commonwealth is the foundation and practical means.” - Wendell Berry

Metanoia
#7 Posted : 12/3/2012 9:30:06 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I've been thinking about trying something different with edibles, I'm now going to give coconut oil a shot. Thanks for the suggestion!

Botanical Bliss
#8 Posted : 12/12/2012 6:28:08 AM

SeeingFacesInManyPlaces

I had some delicious vegan pot cookies at a festival over the summer. I don't know what the person used but it was likely something you mentioned. I might have to make some cookies sometime soon.... Cool
[center]Sophia's Light

In darkest night, when lights are dim, and all in sight seems sad and grim,
I find you there, your arms surround me, your spirit fills me and it grounds me.
I look to you, Lady of Truth, most ancient One, yet eternal youth,to keep me safe, protect my heart,and with the wisdom you impart, fill up my empty mind and soul,so that, my Lover, you can make whole, all that was broken in this day –and that is what I ask and pray.

Ringworm
#9 Posted : 12/12/2012 7:34:48 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Quote:
And if you're trying to have a good time and enjoy your trip, there is no need for sentient beings to suffer for it.

...and if your trying to sound condescending, you did it!
Some people live in the country and actually know the cows and goats from which their milk comes from. (Their life isn't that bad, they get protected from predators, and get food brought to them)

On another note, we always used Olive oil, never a problem with that, a nice way to preserve leaf and trimmings.
"We're selling more than a cracker here," Krijak said. "We're selling the salty, unctuous illusion of happiness."

jamie
#10 Posted : 12/12/2012 8:21:10 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expert | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growingSenior Member | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growing

"I hope many of you can appreciate the inherent cruelty involved in the dairy industry"

That depends..factory farming sure. I dont see how the raw grass fed cheese I get from a local farmer who does not milk the cows like crazy and lets them roam freeerange all day is as cruel as forcing a bunch of plants to grow in monocultured fields sprayed with pesticides all day. Everything is relative. Veganism as this ultimate ethical diet is a fallacy. I did it for couple years and understand it but it's not really the answer IMO.
Long live the unwoke.

nicechrisman
#11 Posted : 12/12/2012 8:53:37 AM

Kin

Coconut oil.
Nagdeo

jamie
#12 Posted : 12/12/2012 9:02:49 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expert | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growingSenior Member | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growing

Olive oil worked well for me. I froze a small tub of it once and it seemed to store okay as well.
Long live the unwoke.

Ringworm
#13 Posted : 12/12/2012 10:53:46 AM

DMT-Nexus member

yeah, for storage of oil, I'd wager it's best to start with dry plant matter.
"We're selling more than a cracker here," Krijak said. "We're selling the salty, unctuous illusion of happiness."