We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
«PREV45678NEXT»
If you're having trouble getting crystals from acrb, use this tek (thick-light) Options

D Empty
#101 Posted : 1/1/2013 6:30:13 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Quote:
No ph strips then add 100-150ml of gar to 2000ml of water boil until you can see the top of the bark protruding from the water, then pour off.

Combine boils reduce, base, add solvent and pull.

After the water and vinegar from each boil has been combined and reduced, should the bark still be in when basifying?

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

thick-light
#102 Posted : 1/1/2013 4:59:38 PM

DMT-Nexus member

No bark when you basify the water, the reason you do the cooks with gar is to get all the alkaloids out of the bark and into the water.

Some peopole even filter all the particles out, or they leave it in the fidge overnight so they crash to the bottom.

When you base the boils it freebases the alkaloids.

Then the naptha being NP solvent picks them up.

Also if your using 500 grams and doing four boils it might be wise to combine the first two, and extract from them. Then combine the second twoand extract from them.

Or reduce everything down to 2000ml split it i9n half then start extracting.

A friend had problems with really dark dirty naptha when he tried all 4 boils at once.
I love all of you!

D Empty
#103 Posted : 1/4/2013 11:06:15 PM
DMT-Nexus member

You said

Quote:
02. once you have the liquid reduced to about 1500ml let cool then pour into your extraction vessel. A half gallon mason jar works good. Basify the liquid with 150grams or more of NaOh and stir. While the liquid is still warm add 600ml of naptha cap the jar and with gloves and goggles on shake it over a sink vigourously. do this 6-10 times, let the nsptha and soup completely separate between agitation and on your last shake roll the naptha around the jar lightly to reduce emulsions.

Now you said use 150ml gar instead of 100, and when you say "do this 6-10 times" do you mean shake it and let it settle 6-10 times?

I will be doing your tek in about a week, and want to make sure I get everything right. And you boil 4 times, then reduce. 150g naoh goes into the fully reduced liquid or 150g for each boil?

Rifle
#104 Posted : 1/7/2013 8:52:48 AM

DMT-Nexus member

D Empty, you are reading that correctly. And NaOH goes in after reducing.

So anyways, I was doing this tek and went to move the jar after letting the base and naphtha fully separate when I notice the bottom of my jar was leaking. A couple drops per second. Faster the longer it was held in the air and would stop after some seconds of being set down. Now I'm scrabbling for other jars and concerned about using jars any more. It was a new jar... not sure what happened.

EDIT: Got it emptied and there is a crack all the way around the bottom. Thank goodness it held together. My only guess would be too quick of a temperature change at some point. Hmmm... tried to be careful about that. I don't see how that jar would have even worked for canning though. I'd say maybe there is something to lye making glass brittle but it was in it for so little time. Next time I'll have to get some lab quality glassware I guess.
She's real. She's got red lips.

domethyltryptamine
#105 Posted : 1/7/2013 5:37:03 PM

the void awaits

what's up nexus this was my first extraction! i'm a n00b on the nexus, but what's up everyone? i followed this tek, the only thing i did was evaporate the naptha down to 1/3 before freeze precipitation. maybe i was a little anxious and didn't let the naptha sit in the solution long enough? anyway, i just did my first pull and have some really nice looking white crystals. i am hoping the next pulls will be just as kind. Thumbs up

should i recrystalize? i heard the best way is to use the LEAST amount of warm naptha you can and put it in a shot glass to freeze precipitate. somebody a met over this past summer had given me some deems and it was one entire crystal that weighed 1.4g and he told me that was what he did.

has anyone ever seen such a large crystal?

rigelugh
#106 Posted : 1/11/2013 12:18:07 AM
DMT-Nexus member

So, thick-light, here are my kitty cats most recent results:

After the highly emulsified bark was evaporated off, re-heated, pulled from and naphtha placed into two jars, the kitty allowed the 2 jars to sit for a few days.

They each dropped a small syrupy red/brown dot on the bottom, and some clear/whitish residue on the sides/bottom of the jars.

After this she combined the jars into one and placed them in the freezer. Nice amount of crystals began to form.

After a couple days the naphtha was decanted off the crystals, jar was then placed back into the freezer for a few hours.

The crystals were quite beautiful, white and fluffy. From the freezer, she placed the jar into a dessicant chamber for about 16 hours.

After dessication the crystals looked just as nice but drier. There were a lot of pure white crystals and the base of the crystals was yellowish. One could scrape and knock out the white crystals if one wanted to.

After scraping the jar of crystals and yellow crystal-base with a knife the cat got nearly 500mg of fluffy very pure white crystal and tacky yellow substance combined.

The cat then rolled this into a nice ball of material. She could handle it and let it sit in a weigh boat without it sticking to the sides or her paws, necessitating it be scraped off. This was a breakthrough to her.

After a couple hours in the open air, the ball started to "melt". Imagining this was due to absorption of moisture from the air, the ball was placed back into the dessicant chamber. The ball became a much drier tacky material once again which is akin to nearly dry caulk, it will almost spider-web when some is pulled from it with a razor and is much easier to scrape up and drop onto a leaf for vaporization as incense.

This material is much easier to work with than the sticky clear substance with the small amount of crystals in it which the cat was getting before. I would venture the cat got more actual crystal from this single pull than any other previous pull.

The jars were all rinsed with ethanol and the ethanol placed into a shotglass with a known weight to evaporate. There was much jungly spice to be had left in the jar which could not be scraped out. This plus the room-temperature dropped jars will make some nice changa style incense.

The next jar has sat out at room temp and will be done soon and an update will be posted. Once no more crystal is found from this batch of 250G of ACRB then I'm sure the kitty will try your tek. Until next time!

Praxis.
#107 Posted : 1/13/2013 6:55:30 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Whats the word on defatting for acacia? I would think it would be necessary, right?

Sorry if this has been asked in this thread already. I've read most of it, but I don't have the time to read all 6 pages.
"Consciousness grows in spirals." --George L. Jackson

If you can just get your mind together, then come across to me. We'll hold hands and then we'll watch the sunrise from the bottom of the sea...
But first, are you experienced?

Rifle
#108 Posted : 1/14/2013 8:11:59 PM

DMT-Nexus member

A lot of people get good results w/out defatting. Defatting has not been shown to improve this process at all.
She's real. She's got red lips.

DisEmboDied
#109 Posted : 1/15/2013 1:51:36 AM

DMT-Nexus member

So it looks like there is enough to evaporate first and then freeze the rest of the same jar?
Meditate before you venture, take it seriously, use it as medicinal—it is good psychotherapy if needed. Realize that you, the Earth, others, and the Universe are all one and the same process. Then take that knowledge back to become, as you already are, one with nature. Eternity in every moment. Divinity in every particle. All is one organism.

DisEmboDied
#110 Posted : 1/15/2013 1:56:06 AM

DMT-Nexus member

DMT as incense?? P-U Pleased
Meditate before you venture, take it seriously, use it as medicinal—it is good psychotherapy if needed. Realize that you, the Earth, others, and the Universe are all one and the same process. Then take that knowledge back to become, as you already are, one with nature. Eternity in every moment. Divinity in every particle. All is one organism.

acacian
#111 Posted : 1/15/2013 10:59:29 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Rifle wrote:
A lot of people get good results w/out defatting. Defatting has not been shown to improve this process at all.

it really depends on the acacia in my experience... some have very little fats others are loaded

deezyp
#112 Posted : 1/16/2013 5:24:16 AM

Rocket Man

Hey guys! I'm planning on using this tek over Q21Q21's tek 2, which I was originally going to use before finding so many failed attempts with ACRB. This is my first time extracting period (excluding high school chem) and I'd really like to get it right. I'm following just about everything in the tek besides the first two steps..

thick-light wrote:
01. I used 500 grams that I froze and thawed twice then boiled in 2000ml of H20 with 100ml of white vinegar I let this boil for 1 and 1/2 hours then transfered the liquid to another pot and started reducing it. Do this at least 4 times adding fresh vinegar each time. I did it 5 and found that the 5th boil was lighter in color. Anyway as your cooking fresh washes start reducing prior boils in a second pot.

02. once you have the liquid reduced to about 1500ml let cool then pour into your extraction vessel. A half gallon mason jar works good. Basify the liquid with 150grams or more of NaOh and stir. While the liquid is still warm add 600ml of naptha cap the jar and with gloves and goggles on shake it over a sink vigourously. do this 6-10 times, let the nsptha and soup completely separate between agitation and on your last shake roll the naptha around the jar lightly to reduce emulsions.

After boiling the ACRB, vinegar, and water, what am I transferring to a new pot? What exactly am I "reducing" afterward? And also, I'm using 56g of ACRB for my first try. Do I use all the same ratios just scaled down? Any tips for newbies are greatly appreciated Thumbs up

Fireal
#113 Posted : 1/16/2013 10:36:24 AM

DMT-Nexus member

\/

Fireal
#114 Posted : 1/16/2013 10:46:10 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Rifle wrote:
I'm going to try this with 100g of ACRB. I think I'm going to use 25% more water/vinegar than called for at the start due to the likely hood of proportionally greater evaporational losses. Actually, now that I think about, what about just increasing everything except the ACRB and nahptha by 25%? Should help make sure the naphtha is as saturated as desired at the end, no?

I'm guessing we let the acid boil cool all the way to room temperature before adding the lye?

Hey Rifle -
I am also going to follow thicklights tek with 100g or actually 114g acrb. Can You help me with the amounts of water, vineger you ended up using for boil and if you kept track of the lye and naptha amounts you used or any suggestions for following this tek withh 100g acrb it would be really helpful. -thanks

jj8a6a
#115 Posted : 1/19/2013 7:32:36 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Hello all for the first time. I have a question about this tek. In step 1 is the liquid that is poured off and reduced then directly precipitated at the same time refilling the bark with 2 more liters water and more vinegar giving 5 separate batches to precip.? Or is it all just going into one pot in the end?

Thank you for your help.

Praxis.
#116 Posted : 1/19/2013 8:29:48 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I just got my first pull--yield was only about .8 but my second pull is precipitating now and I can already see an abundance of fluffy white crystals! Very happy
I changed a few things up, but overall I'd say this is a great tek for acacia and it's pretty straightforward. I feel like any basic A/B tek would work for acacia, as this method isn't too different from Marsofold's.
But anyways, this is a solid method--thanks for sharing! Im hoping to yield anywhere from 3.5-4.5g, and so far so good!

And jj8a6a, it's all going in one pot. Just make sure to reduce on low to medium heat throughout the process and measure as you go.

EDIT: I decided not to defat because I would have been short on solvent, and I haven't had too much of a problem. I do think it mostly depends on the quality of the bark though. I'm just going to recrystallize once I get my final yield, and that should take care of the small amount of impurities I got.

If you can just get your mind together, then come across to me. We'll hold hands and then we'll watch the sunrise from the bottom of the sea...

FallingAwake
#117 Posted : 1/19/2013 8:34:55 PM

DMT-Nexus member

VTSeeker48 wrote:
I just got my first pull--yield was only about .8 but my second pull is precipitating now and I can already see an abundance of fluffy white crystals! Very happy
I changed a few things up, but overall I'd say this is a great tek for acacia and it's pretty straightforward. I feel like any basic A/B tek would work for acacia, as this method isn't too different from Marsofold's.
But anyways, this is a solid method--thanks for sharing! Im hoping to yield anywhere from 3.5-4.5g, and so far so good!

And jj8a6a, it's all going in one pot. Just make sure to reduce on low to medium heat throughout the process and measure as you go.

Awesome! Was wondering how many grams of bark did you start with?

Praxis.
#118 Posted : 1/19/2013 8:39:14 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I started with 500g. My last extraction using the same amount of mimosa yielded slightly over 4g and there were quite a few things I could have done differently. So if all goes well now I should end up with at least as much. I'll definitely post my final results!

jj8a6a
#119 Posted : 1/19/2013 8:51:54 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Thanks vt. I was just confused cause im guessing there is only going to be 500 milliliters left after each of the boils. I wasnt sure if the wording meant to make each boil a separate batch to precipitate out or not. So is it normal to only have half a liter after 90 min boil? Also silly question, what do you mean measure as you go. Do you mean for the 100 ml vinegar and 2 liter of water?

Thanks again

Praxis.
#120 Posted : 1/19/2013 9:06:42 PM

DMT-Nexus member

jj8a6a wrote:
Thanks vt. I was just confused cause im guessing there is only going to be 500 milliliters left after each of the boils. I wasnt sure if the wording meant to make each boil a separate batch to precipitate out or not. So is it normal to only have half a liter after 90 min boil? Also silly question, what do you mean measure as you go. Do you mean for the 100 ml vinegar and 2 liter of water?

Thanks again

No problem, and there's no such thing as a silly question. You want to have about 1.5 liters in the end. What I do is have 3 separate pots. One is for the acid bath/boiling of the bark, one is for measuring, and one is for actual reduction. After 90 minutes, pour off the liquid from the acid bath into one of the other empty pots. From that pot you can measure what you have, and pour it into your reduction vessel. I had over 500ml of liquid from each of my acid baths, but if you have less than that it's probably unnecessary to reduce anyways. (I had over a full liter of liquid, if not more, from each of my boils.)
Anyways, by having 3 pots one of them always remains empty. That way you can measure the amount of liquid from each of your acid baths before adding it to the reduction vessel. In other words, this way you can 'measure as you go'.

Is the 500ml you're ending up with before or after reduction? Because if you're doing separate reductions than you'd want to do 3 and reduce each down to 500ml. But if that's what you have before you reduce, I would not reduce it further.
How hot is your acid bath? And do you have a lid? I'm curious because if you're only pouring off 500ml of liquid from each acid bath, you might have it boiling too hot and therefore losing a lot. If you're starting with over 2 liters, you should be ending up with a lot more liquid.
I might be misunderstanding what you're asking though. If you are doing each reduction in a separate pot I would not recommend it as it wastes a lot of space. The point is to condense your product as much as possible.

I'm not sure if this answers your question or not, but I hope it helped clear things up for you.

«PREV45678NEXT»