We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
PREV123NEXT
Driving under the influence of cannabis - Split off from We have legal cannabis thread Options

a1pha
#21 Posted : 11/9/2012 1:10:15 AM

Moderator | Skills: Master hacker!

^^ Statistically, there's a much higher probability of getting in an accident texting than being under the influence of marijuana. In fact, marijuana isn't even statistically significant in crash data!

Quote:
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration reported in 2008 that driver distraction was the cause of 16 percent of all fatal crashes -- 5,800 people killed -- and 21 percent of crashes resulting in an injury -- 515,000 people wounded.

https://www.fcc.gov/guides/texting-while-driving

Please, for the love of god -- can we start basing our arguments on real-world data instead of 'feelings' and pointing fingers? Zombicyckel, please cite SOME form of data in your arguments. Otherwise, you are simply fear-mongering.

PS - I am NOT condoning driving while under the influence. I am simply asking to back up statements with FACTS.
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored." -A.Huxley

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

zombicyckel
#22 Posted : 11/9/2012 1:11:48 AM

Armchair activist

I mean no offence to anyone or you, I just want people to wait a couple of hours after smoked. thats it. I may have been a bit harsh, and that I apologize for. Just want people to see the other side of ones actions. I am not mr perfect either, I have drove my car a few hours after. And I really feelt it was an unnecessary risk

zombicyckel
#23 Posted : 11/9/2012 1:15:11 AM

Armchair activist

a1pha

Alright, if you wanna start this again. Please show me the stats saying that there has never been an accident from a driver under the influence from cannabis. Even if there is few, its a risk that can be eliminated. I just hope those who take that risks are being stopped and prosecuted. Some laws are there for a reason

a1pha
#24 Posted : 11/9/2012 1:18:27 AM

zombicyckel wrote:
Please show me the stats saying that there has never been an accident from a driver under the influence from cannabis.

Where did I say this?

Tokapelli
#25 Posted : 11/9/2012 1:24:30 AM

DMT-Nexus member

^ agreed not right for everybody. I have to admit when i first started smoking it had way more intense effects on me and I never even considered driving while stoned back then. It has alot to do with frequency. I can smoke mass amounts all day everyday and barely even get stoned, and i could drive just fine. However if I take a week or so off and then smoke that same amount, different story altogether. Another good example would be my dad and most veteran stoners ive met his age. He probably outsmoked me back in his prime, and would have been able to drive just fine. Now he barely smokes, maybe a couple times a week tops, and when he does its only going to be a very small amount, and he still wouldnt be comfortable driving. Its about knowing yourself and your limitations. Unlike alchohol, smoking bud does not give you false confidence, if anythign its the opposite. So its not like you are going to think you are just buzzed and then get behind the wheel and wake up in somebodys living room.

zombicyckel
#26 Posted : 11/9/2012 1:25:00 AM

Armchair activist

a1pha wrote:
zombicyckel wrote:
Please show me the stats saying that there has never been an accident from a driver under the influence from cannabis.

Where did I say this?

You said I based my arguments on feelings, so I want you to prove me wrong by showing me the stats saying that there is no accidents from stoned drivers. Which I already know there is a bunch of accidents. Just saying some of them could be prevented. Lets leave this alright.

I think its bad to drive impaired, some think it great. this is going nowhere. some laws are there for a reason

zombicyckel
#27 Posted : 11/9/2012 1:27:23 AM

Armchair activist

I admit I might of been wrong about longterm users that dont get stoned no longer, that could work driving. If one doesnt get stoned, then I see no problem with it. so its very few that can really do it

a1pha
#28 Posted : 11/9/2012 1:28:37 AM

zombicyckel wrote:
a1pha wrote:
zombicyckel wrote:

Where did I say this?

You said I based my arguments on feelings, so I want you to prove me wrong by showing me the stats saying that there is no accidents from stoned drivers. Which I already know there is a bunch of accidents.

zombicyckel, you need to read a bit closer. Not statistically significant =/= never. I NEVER said there were no accidents as a result of being under the influence of cannabis. I said that there are SO FEW that it is not statistically significant.

SeekerOfTruths
#29 Posted : 11/9/2012 1:34:18 AM

DMT-Nexus member

zombicyckel wrote:
a1pha wrote:
zombicyckel wrote:

Where did I say this?

You said I based my arguments on feelings, so I want you to prove me wrong by showing me the stats saying that there is no accidents from stoned drivers. Which I already know there is a bunch of accidents. Just saying some of them could be prevented. Lets leave this alright.

I think its bad to drive impaired, some think it great. this is going nowhere. some laws are there for a reason

Being irresponsible is bad, but rash judgement and thinking "If one person dies, we must ban it" is part of the reason drugs are outlawed today. You can't prevent everyone from harms way, and sometimes accidents are just that... accidents. You are taking the extreme side here.

I can't show you data there are no accidents from caffeine, so should that be illegal? It's a stimulant, it alters the mind. In fact I'm sure it causes accidents from people drinking it, or being way too juiced up on it. So now that caffeine's illegal, we need to do something about that pesky noise people listen to while they drive, its distracting. Then we need to isolate the driver from the passenger. Once this is accomplished, we can make the driver pay attention clock work orange style? Then we will all be safe?

All in all, I don't know if driving under the influence of MJ is safe or not, but it may not be as dangerous as you may think. It's worth keeping an open mind.

Tokapelli
#30 Posted : 11/9/2012 1:39:39 AM

DMT-Nexus member

awesome point, i was going to try to draw the parrallels like that but im glad i didnt, you did a much better job.

zombicyckel
#31 Posted : 11/9/2012 2:00:14 AM

Armchair activist

I dont have the energy Razz yeah I took the extreme side because when others lives are put in unnecessary risk, somebody needs to step in and show the other side of the argument.

and " "If one person dies, we must ban it" was not my point, more like "100 person dies, 5 could of been prevented"

If one has the chance to eliminate those small things like, music and what not for more safety. then yeah its a good course of action to improve safety

CuriousSeeker
#32 Posted : 11/9/2012 2:30:38 AM

DMT-Nexus member

The Colorado and Washington votes are a great start and I look forward to the end of prohibition - it still doesn't work! Regarding driving, yes, there is an effect and for me it is a mixed bag (hah!). It does slow my reaction a bit and I do drive more slowly to compensate, and have driven many hundreds of thousands of miles under the influence without running into anything or anyone and have reacted appropriately to the many emergency situations requiring quick response. From many years of use I have a high tolerance. Your mileage may vary, so know yourself and be careful.

In my own experience the most danger comes when a seed catches fire and explodes like popcorn, resulting in driver distraction Shocked Portable vaporizers take care of this risk. Big grin

Anyway, for some actual data to supplement all the anecdotes Smile , please look at this 2011 paper titled "Medical Marijuana Laws, Traffic Fatalities, and Alcohol Consumption" (where the 9% lower traffic fatalities statistic referenced earlier came from) available here (or google for it): http://ftp.iza.org/dp6112.pdf

Safe driving experiences to everyone, we all agree that driving is a ridiculously dangerous thing we have to do daily in this society!

Peace.

A scale is a wonderful thing. Everything else posted by CS is lunatic fiction.

a1pha
#33 Posted : 11/9/2012 2:43:23 AM

CuriousSeeker wrote:
Anyway, for some actual data to supplement all the anecdotes Smile , please look at this 2011 paper titled "Medical Marijuana Laws, Traffic Fatalities, and Alcohol Consumption" (where the 9% lower traffic fatalities statistic referenced earlier came from) available here (or google for it): http://ftp.iza.org/dp6112.pdf

Thank you for posting this. I thought it good to quote a few lines:

Quote:
Specifically, we find that traffic fatalities fall by nearly 9 percent after the legalization of medical marijuana. However, the effect of MMLs on traffic fatalities involving alcohol appears to be larger, and is estimated with more precision, than the effect of MMLs on traffic fatalities that did not involve alcohol. Likewise, we find that the estimated effects of MMLs on fatalities at night and on weekends (when alcohol consumption rises) are larger, and are more precise, than the estimated effects of MMLs on fatalities during the day and on weekdays

Quote:
Using data from the Beer Institute, we find that beer sales fall after a MML comes into effect, suggesting that marijuana substitutes for beer, the most popular alcoholic beverage among young adults.

Quote:
However, neither simulator nor driving-course studies provide consistent evidence that these impairments to driving-related functions lead to an increased risk of collision (Kelly et al. 2004; Sewell et al. 2009). Drivers under the influence of marijuana reduce their velocity, avoid risky maneuvers, and increase their “following distances,” suggesting compensatory behavior (Kelly et al. 2004; Sewell et al. 2009).

Facts. Not feelings.

zombicyckel
#34 Posted : 11/9/2012 2:46:53 AM

Armchair activist

Well I already knew this if you go back to my second post where I said something along the lines: the lesser of two wrongs doesnt make it right. And when one starts to compare a small number of lives as statistically significant, that is when one gotta look what I life is worth.

a1pha
#35 Posted : 11/9/2012 2:48:36 AM

zombicyckel wrote:
the lesser of two wrongs doesnt make it right.

Therefore, it's wrong to reduce traffic fatalities? Confused

Sorry, I'm not following you.

zombicyckel
#36 Posted : 11/9/2012 2:51:00 AM

Armchair activist

a1pha wrote:
zombicyckel wrote:
the lesser of two wrongs doesnt make it right.

Therefore, it's wrong to reduce traffic fatalities? Confused

Sorry, I'm not following you.

Yes its good people are stoned then drunk in traffic, but it would even be better if people didnt drive stoned. But yeah some refuse too see past their own nose and rather not change.

proto-pax
#37 Posted : 11/9/2012 3:00:21 AM

bird-brain

No one has raised up the real social evil in this discussion which are personal vehicles.

Bike safe everyone.
blooooooOOOOOooP fzzzzzzhm KAPOW!
This is shit-brained, this kind of thinking.
Grow a plant or something and meditate on that

zombicyckel
#38 Posted : 11/9/2012 3:01:13 AM

Armchair activist

proto-pax wrote:
No one has raised up the real social evil in this discussion which are personal vehicles.

Bike safe everyone.

Now thats thinking!

a1pha
#39 Posted : 11/9/2012 3:03:29 AM

proto-pax wrote:

Bike safe everyone.

Maybe in a new thread? This one is about marijuana. ;-)

Nice to see ya, pax. Smile

SWIMfriend
#40 Posted : 11/9/2012 4:13:02 AM

DMT-Nexus member

To the arguments that cannabis will cause dangerous drivers, and/or it's a problem because there will be no handy test available: I see that as an invented problem. Here's why:

There are MANY prescription drugs--and even a fair number of over-the-counter drugs which can SERIOUSLY impair safe driving, and for which it's illegal to drive while being under their influence.

Cannabis will just be one more among the hundreds that are already a relatively small potential problem.

ALCOHOL is still the MAIN problem because it impairs you in a dangerous manner: reducing or eliminating inhibition toward RECKLESS behavior. That's what makes alcohol so particularly dangerous an impairment for driving.

PREV123NEXT