We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
MUSHROOM GROW KIT Options

DMaTeo
#1 Posted : 10/18/2012 4:42:48 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Hey guys i recently came across a mushroom grow kit on the web. it is essentially a pre packaged box with everything done for you, it says just water and keep the temperature right and you will harvest shrooms in no time...and as most could imagine i am a bit skeptic as it sounds too good to be true

i am sure the product is legit but i am also aware that there is probably more to growing some of these precious shroomies. i am new to growing shrooms but have a 150 watt light and a good room temperature space to grow them in. i would really appreciate some input as to how i should go about trying to grow these shrooms from someone with experience.

as i said the box is basically ready to grow so the initial steps are probably not needed just some advice on how to care for them, light cycles, amount of water etc. the site says the yield is approx 300 grams of stropharia cubensis and i'm guessing this is before letting them dry. any help is greatly appreciated! thanks
i think; therefore i AM

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

Crazyhorse
#2 Posted : 10/18/2012 5:31:35 AM

Wide eyed and hopeful

Those kits are generally worthless. I paid $100 for one that promised all kinds of things it couldn't possibly deliver, but it was hopelessly outdated and badly designed. After seeing how badly it did I ended up making my own Shotgun Fruiting Chamber instead, which gave 1000x better results for just a couple of bucks and a few minutes of time to build.

Everything you need to know is here: http://www.mushroomvideos.com/BRF-Pf-Tek . Order some spore syringes, and follow the steps in these videos to the letter, and you'll do fine. This system was designed to be foolproof for beginners, the only thing I'd recommend that isn't included in the instructions, is to open the lid of the box a few times a day and exchange the air in the box by fanning it with the lid for a few minutes. The better your fresh air exchange, while keeping the humidity high, the happier they'll be.

Good luck!

No direction but to follow what you know,
No direction but a faith in her decision,
No direction but to never fight her flow,
No direction but to trust the final destination.

jamie
#3 Posted : 10/18/2012 6:05:16 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expert | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growingSenior Member | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growing

yep save your money, you can grow your own mushrooms for like 15 bucks man. Those kits are a rip off and you learn nothing in the process. Learn the craft yourself from the base up and you will be better off for it. It is really easy.
Long live the unwoke.

zombicyckel
#4 Posted : 10/18/2012 6:21:32 AM

Armchair activist

Hmm, is the light really needed? heard you can have it in a closet the entire time.

Read about it losing potency otherwise, but by how much?

Michal_R
#5 Posted : 10/18/2012 7:06:08 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Hi,
DMaTeo wrote:
...i am new to growing shrooms but have a 150 watt light ...

You actually don´t need almost any light for Mushroom production. Mushrooms need only little indirect (!) light. I grew my first Mushrooms from the grow-kit as well Thumbs up I think it is a great option for complete beginners - it allows them to get an insight into the growing process...
DMaTeo wrote:
...the site says the yield is approx 300 grams of stropharia cubensis and i'm guessing this is before letting them dry...

Sure, this is the weight before drying. It is also - speaking from a personal experience - a rather exaggerated data. I got less than 200g from my ready-to-grow kit (cca 20g dry).
Crazyhorse wrote:
Those kits are generally worthless

Not necessarily, but you have to be careful with the supplier. There are suppliers/producers who prepare fresh mycelium bags after you actually order it.

However...
jamie wrote:
save your money, you can grow your own mushrooms for like 15 bucks man... Learn the craft yourself from the base up and you will be better off for it. It is really easy.

...this is true as well Smile

obliguhl
#6 Posted : 10/18/2012 7:57:05 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Grow kits are legit, but a waste of money. If you are new, try the pf tek. Easy to follow and will yield results 90% of the time. But other posters already told you that. I'm just trying to weigh in here.

And no, you do not need grow lamps.

Pup Tentacle
#7 Posted : 10/18/2012 10:44:02 AM

lettuce

www.mushroomvideos.com

These vids teach all one needs to know about the PFtek. You don't need to buy the extended set... the free online ones will do the trick. Easy peasy - worked like a charm for me.

Good luck
Pup Tentacle

You are precisely as big as what you love and precisely as small as what you allow to annoy you.
Robert Anton Wilson
Mushroom Greenhouse How-To
I'm no pro but I know a a few things - always willing to help with Psilocybe cubensis cultivation questions.

DMaTeo
#8 Posted : 10/18/2012 5:26:29 PM

DMT-Nexus member

thanks guys awesome input. i will probably try to do it myself as it sounds funner and cheaper.
i think; therefore i AM

deadlight
#9 Posted : 10/18/2012 8:05:19 PM
DMT-Nexus member

growing yourself I'm sure is more educational, fun, and rewarding! if you choose that path good luck and enjoy!

if there are reasons you would prefer to use a grow kit, then they are cool to

despite alot of criticism on the net, iv used them, not payed too much, and had great results

do either, but i bet the advantages of growing from scratch make it extra worthwhile

Smile

DMaTeo
#10 Posted : 10/19/2012 4:09:42 AM

DMT-Nexus member

im not sure if this is allowed, and if it isnt just ignore this comment, but if there is a recommendable supplier that people have had good experience with id love to know so i dont make the mistake of buying a bum kit if i do decide to go with this option
i think; therefore i AM

obliguhl
#11 Posted : 10/30/2012 6:47:56 AM

DMT-Nexus member

New rules regarding suppliers forbid that unfortunatly. But perhaps take that as a sign to really start getting a pf grow going? All you need is vermiculite, 240ml jars, perlite, a huge plastic box with holes drilled in, brown rice flour, water ...and of course spores and syringes (you can get for free if you search for it). It is not rocket science ...

Man im stoked you want to start growing..you will have much fun watching them pin, get bigger...then comes harvest time ...the rest i leave to your imagination Smile