We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
PREV123NEXT
do you play any instrument? Options

polytrip
#21 Posted : 2/27/2009 9:29:21 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Location: A speck of dust in endless space, like everyone else.
Maybe a bit off topic, but i don't like the sound of MP3 files. With many types of music it doesn't realy matter that much, but the more acoustic sounds there are recorded, the more MP3 starts to lack depth.

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

amor_fati
#22 Posted : 2/27/2009 11:29:41 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Chemical expertSenior Member

69ron wrote:
Analog equipment has more dimension to it.

Especially with vinyl! It's as if the vinyl is playing the stylus like an instrument. The fact that you can actually hear the music straight from the stylus, and that the electronics merely amplify the sound illustrates this quality quite clearly. Tape is a bit different but not far off in terms of sound warmth and depth, though with a very "material" element of distortion. If I had the budget for it, I'd probably master everything on reel-to-reel (and if sony weren't such pigs, on minidisc as my digital master) and then release on cassettes and vinyl.

I value mp3's merely as an expedient facet of information archiving and distribution, but as I said previously, as supplementary to analog. I have a strong disgust with cd's and dvd's and find it unfortunate that I've spent so much money on them, but there was a time when that was just about the only option available.

endlessness
#23 Posted : 2/28/2009 9:23:46 AM

DMT-Nexus member

did you guys ever made a double blind test to see if you could really notice the difference? I didnt, so I cant say.. but I guess its quite possible I would even not notice the difference between a 320kbps mp3 and some vinyl... I can see why there is the difference, ron's explanation was quite good, but still dont know if in practice, 99% of people would notice anything if they really tested in an unbiased way.

GirlsHateMe
#24 Posted : 2/28/2009 11:45:55 AM

DMT-Nexus member

endlessness wrote:
did you guys ever made a double blind test to see if you could really notice the difference? I didnt, so I cant say.. but I guess its quite possible I would even not notice the difference between a 320kbps mp3 and some vinyl... I can see why there is the difference, ron's explanation was quite good, but still dont know if in practice, 99% of people would notice anything if they really tested in an unbiased way.

Haha in my irc group and my former place of posting at yahooka, boy did I get into some arguments about this.

I would rant and rave about how people who needed lossless files(flac, wav) were being silly nerds and this and that and I swore up and down in a blind test you couldnt tell.

Now that ive compared them with some of my favorite music, I can say with my 5.1 surround that yes, there is infact a difference, even with heavier music. Not real noticeable but if you REALLY love the song, youll appreciate the added depth, mp3 does now sound a bit muffled.

As much as I HATE being wrong, I was on this, I am now a .flac fan, but dont think ill be converting my library anytime soon.
For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places. Wherefore take unto you the whole Armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand. - Ephesians 6:12-13

GHM is an internet handle, a fictional one at that, the person I portray in no way depicts real life actions and or opinions. After all, whats the internet for besides pretending to be someone you arent! Also, no girls do not really hate me.

polytrip
#25 Posted : 2/28/2009 1:51:39 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Location: A speck of dust in endless space, like everyone else.
It depends a lot on the quality of the recorded music. With classical music you can very clearly hear the difference because it's acoustic and often has multiple instruments playing at the same time. One of the data-compression tricks of MP3 is to filter out 'undetectable' sounds. But the character of sound in general and harmony in peticular is, that what you hear is the addition of all frequencies.
With synthesizer music the difference is smaller, ofcourse.

amor_fati
#26 Posted : 3/3/2009 6:06:12 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I've just recently taken up the ukulele, and it's so much fun. I'm excited!

endlessness
#27 Posted : 3/5/2009 8:10:58 PM

DMT-Nexus member

hey traveler, I listened to those tracks! nice stuff, reminds me a bit of ozric tentacles

btw, guys, please check this dude playing the acoustic guitar out:

http://www.youtube.com/w...dMqY&feature=channel

http://www.youtube.com/w...BiYY&feature=channel

and all his other stuff also, sounds like he def has some psychedelic side, which is not so easy to find in acoustic guitars. Amazing stuff!

old Dead Head
#28 Posted : 3/5/2009 8:56:22 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Speaking of Rusty Strings I still cry allmost evewry time I hear that song!!! For those in the Dark G.D. Stella Blue I also play AROUND My semi new Heritage & an old analog Fender J.A.M. Very warm & fuzzy!! as to Flak Vs.WAv Vs Mp3 my burnt ears cant see much diff. too many loud shows!!! nqthing like live music for any PSYCEDELIC though! Still got board tapes MAXELL of course from all eras & they sound grateful!!! Drop DEAD brothers& Sisters PEACE OUT!!

old Dead Head
#29 Posted : 3/5/2009 8:56:38 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Speaking of Rusty Strings I still cry allmost evewry time I hear that song!!! For those in the Dark G.D. Stella Blue I also play AROUND My semi new Heritage & an old analog Fender J.A.M. Very warm & fuzzy!! as to Flak Vs.WAv Vs Mp3 my burnt ears cant see much diff. too many loud shows!!! nqthing like live music for any PSYCEDELIC though! Still got board tapes MAXELL of course from all eras & they sound grateful!!! Drop DEAD brothers& Sisters PEACE OUT!!

amor_fati
#30 Posted : 3/6/2009 3:46:34 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Anyone ever try throat singing? Like in Tuvan folk music. I've been practicing a bit. If you're unfamiliar, check out "Genghis Blues."

Jorkest
#31 Posted : 3/6/2009 4:10:59 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Moderator | Skills: Extraction Troubleshooting, (S)elf ProgrammingChemical expert | Skills: Extraction Troubleshooting, (S)elf Programming

i can do a bit of throat singing..if you just keep practicing you will find all sorts of interesting sounds that you didnt ever think you could make..its very powerful when you get the air vibrating around you..you can feel it in every level of yourself..its quite something when combined with our favorite space vehicle..

i believe that when you hit some harmonic resonance..that harmonic tone will sound out through all levels of reality..

plus i like to write little songs on my computer..not great at it..also there is a SWEET 'game' for the nintendo DS..its called KORG DS-10 Synthesizer..its amazingly robust..its worth getting a DS just for this program..you can write electronic music anywhere you go..create just about any sound you can imagine..plus the KAOSS pads which use any scale you can think of..plus in any key..and then when you get back home..all you have to do is plug into the headphone jack and record it onto your computer..and then modify it from there if you have more specialized tools that you like to use..

i could go on and on about this program..if you check out an actual KORG KAOSS pad..that is hand held and portable it can cost a few hundred dollars..plus it doesnt have screens to show you all sorts of information..but the DS is something like 120 bucks..and the game cant be over 40...

i also like playing guitar and used to play sax..but havent played in awhile...im trying to learn the flute and other small wind instruments..i like mini instruments..because you can take them anywhere..probably why i like KORG so much..and sometimes i like playing the didge..but my cat hates low notes like that..i think she thinks im pissed off..but its a good way of getting rid of her...while higher notes she actually comes to me..she only comes if the note kinda does that ringy thing in your ear..its quite something to show people...its like 'hey! want to see me call my crazy ass cat...watch out she bites even when she looks like she wants to cuddle..' and then i blow this kick ass sculpted whistle..i wish i could remember what its called..but its got aya designs all over it..and its about the size of a coconut...but its got this extremely high pitch to it..

i also like whistles and such...

ive had this great idea in the past couple of days...i want to create a music box that is hooked up to a little solar panel..and then put it in a completely seal container..with the solar panel on top..and go attach it permanently to a big rock..and whenever the sun comes out..this little music box will start turning out some sweet music..you could make the drum for the song as big as you wanted...so you could make this extremely long song play out..and i also was thinking of a way to be able to put hundreds of songs into multiple drums and having it on some sort of time mechanism so that every day at a certain time a different song would play..and it would just go on and on until it finally broke
it's a sound

amor_fati
#32 Posted : 3/6/2009 4:24:06 PM

DMT-Nexus member

This would be a start:

These things are great, but I haven't written anything on mine in a while.

Phlux-
#33 Posted : 3/11/2009 8:18:58 AM

The Root

didg and throat singing.
Check out this video - its my favourite throat singing one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DY1pcEtHI_w

antrocles wrote:
...purity of intent....purity of execution....purity of experience...

...unlike the "blind leading the blind". we are more akin to a group of blind-from-birth people who have all simultaneously been given the gift of sight but have no words or mental processing capabilites to work with this new "gift".

IT IS ONLY TO THE EXTENT THAT WE ARE WILLING TO EXPOSE OURSELVES OVER AND OVER AGAIN TO ANNIHILATION THAT WE DISCOVER THAT PART OF OURSELVES THAT IS INDESTRUCTIBLE.

Quote:
‹Jorkest› the wall is impenetrable as far as i can tell

Quote:
‹xtechre› cheese is great

He who packs ur capsules - controls your destiny.

Kannamate
#34 Posted : 6/12/2009 6:14:51 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I play drums a little bit of guitar and piano haven't tried them tripping yet.

Kratom
#35 Posted : 6/20/2009 10:11:24 AM
DMT-Nexus member

I been studying 5 string banjo a year or so. No way I could play trippin' I have to concentrate to much! Confused

idtravlr
#36 Posted : 6/22/2009 9:34:33 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Yep. Six string electric and the Didgeridoo (obviously from my avatar)! Very happy

Never played either in hyperspace, but certainly many times on shroomies and Lysergic, among other things. LS seems take me the deepest into my music though.

Oh, and I really enjoy playing the Didg before blasting off to Hyperspace. It's very meditative.

Peace
-idt
I am not a drug addict seeking escape from reality. I am an explorer of consciousness challenging consensus reality.

…is DMT dangerous? The answer is only if you fear death by astonishment… [crowd laughter]… Remember how you laughed when this possibility was raised… a moment will come that will wipe the smile right off your face.
-Terence McKenna

endlessness
#37 Posted : 6/22/2009 10:28:33 AM

DMT-Nexus member

amor_fati wrote:
This would be a start:

These things are great, but I haven't written anything on mine in a while.

is this only for writting music tabs in a paper, or?

because I've seen this kind of thing as a freeware software, where one can very easily write down the tabs and play it back.

btw, I continue slowly slowly improving my guitar playing... I recommend anybody who DOESNT play an instrument, to try for a couple of months.. I thought I had absolutely 0 skills for it, but then its great to see that I do evolve and start playing stuff that before was faaaar off, and now its slowly becoming possible. All that takes is practice. If I had a teacher would for sure go faster, but youtube, tabs and chords on the internet and my own memory of songs I like, its been no problem to learn by myself.

Smile

11:11
#38 Posted : 6/24/2009 11:02:38 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Play guitar, bass, piano, harmonium, throat sing and write electronic music. I have a different style of playing guitar than most have heard. My cam is broke otherwise I would be youtubing some of my stuff, sometime... But LSD was what broke me through into playing what I do now. I had played for a few years before that but when I played on acid one night my fingers blew up on the fret board and my musical style was born! And ever since it has been an upward curve of getting better and better and being able to translate my perceptions and feelings through my music.

Music is a rewarding experience and I think that everyone should play an instrument of some sort, it is a quite wonderful. It's also quite interesting to hear of all the people here who's music has developed with the use of various entheogens.

I just wrote a new track, Pepper Picker, that is up on my myspace: http://www.myspace.com/111coffey

I use FL Studio 8, Pro Tools, Cubase and Logic Pro for most of my tunes.

Great to see all the artists and Audio Engineers on the site!
Psychonautical musical adventures

I am the Pickled Herring, raging through the streets of Aurangabad. Smiting the simian fortress of Agartha I fly with pan liners and garbage bags attached to my million tentacles of horrid putrefaction, eating souls and raining down corpses on the mighty city of Gruad.

Hail Eris!

Seven
#39 Posted : 6/25/2009 3:01:29 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Swims been creating hip hop beats for some time now. He uses old records and manipulates sounds and loops to make new sounds out of old ones. He uses a mpc1000, mixer, and turntable. Anyone else obsessed with buying old records? Swim cant get enough of the ones from around 1967 - 1970, I wonder why lol.
The universe is an infinite harmony of vibrating beings in an elaborate range of expansion-contraction ratios, frequency modulations, and so forth.

kungpow
#40 Posted : 6/25/2009 3:41:41 PM

Brandon

I have been playing guitar for 7 years now. I am not as good as I should be for playing that amount of time, but I keep trying. I don't really get enough time to play it. I've always had a job, school, and girlfriend. So those always take away my music time. I used to try to learn songs all the time, but I am not very good at it. I just always enjoy trying to make my own stuff, learning scales and music theory.

I also have a didgeridoo and my djembe. These are my two tripping instruments. They are very easy to play. When i am tripping trying to do anythings is a thousand times harder. So really don't play my guitar much. I really wish I could as my creativeness is really increased, I just don't have the technical skills when I am tripping.

I also have a few digital pianos that I play with here and there but it has been so busy lately. I really wish I could put about 10 grand into some musical toys (pedals and synths). If I had that I would quit my job and never leave my music room.

PREV123NEXT