We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
123NEXT
do you play any instrument? Options

endlessness
#1 Posted : 2/24/2009 2:22:44 PM

DMT-Nexus member

which one? ever played it tripping? how was it?

Im for a couple of months learning how to play the acoustic guitar. still quite a beginner but its wonderful to see the evolution and make some sounds.

Its a great feelng to play an instrument, there's something very spiritual about it. When i say spiritual I mean that all these octaves and how sounds interact with each other, wave interference patterns, harmony and so on, it is all quite recurrent in spiritual traditions (and look at alex grey's paintings for example) but also in our scientific world view , with the periodic table of elements, the whole quantum waves, possible superstrings and all this deal of supersymmetry, and these crazy hidden patterns and fractals in many different phenomenon. Its all so interesting, and I had already amazing music-related experiences

I know a friend of mine that plays really well the guitar can play even more incredibly when tripping, as one gets very sensitive and 'feels' what sounds should come next instead of following learned routines. I still dont have such a large repertoir to be able to start making my own inventions, but when I do I'll definitely make playing an instrument a big part of some trips.

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

modsquad09
#2 Posted : 2/24/2009 3:02:58 PM

mods

oh yea man I play 6 string electric GUITAR..(all self taught or shroom taught haha)

shrooms are the first psy drug ive ever taken & the best IMO for music.. acid has its ups & especially for art IMO. But shrooms i know are the best for my style of music.

I like to capture while tripping, the trip. I like to make it sound as insane or mellow as possible ya know? ( i play PSY TECH metal so its pretty loud & heavy at times)

Ive learned so many tricks & insights & just creating my own style stepping outta the box.

Its just fun cause music sounds so much better & you feel it & you have all this energy!!!

I like to record myself just improving or jamming out whatever flows, i just try not to think at first, then ill go back & take what i liked or learned & mess with it sober, then get high again & tweak it till im satisfied.

If anyone wants to hear any of my live videos or songs ive written on shrooms hit me up!
Everything above me is really a lie... think for yourself & question authority!

DarkShaman
#3 Posted : 2/24/2009 3:05:31 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Congas, bongos, select African drums (i.e. djembe, doumbek), midi.

There have been a few instances, while tripping, where I was so in-tune w/ my djembe that I couldn't put it down, even hours after I had touched back down on earth. I don't dare go near my Korg while tripping, however, b/c I fear that it's keys would seem Chinese to me & therefore produce sounds of an extremely foreign, unfamiliar nature (especially after having failed miserably, on more than one occasion, at attempting to turn up the volume on my control device while tripping).

amor_fati
#4 Posted : 2/24/2009 3:12:59 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Chemical expertSenior Member

Ah, I would love to get some percussion instruments!

I play the accordion, acoustic guitar, harmonium, melodica, keyboard/synthesizer, and game boys.

SWIM once played my accordion while on some incredible acid. He formed a symbiosis with it and was completely enamored at its complex mechanical quality and the overwhelming beauty of free-reed instruments in general.

Big Inhale
#5 Posted : 2/24/2009 3:32:45 PM

The Enlightend One

My Girl just recently got me a Bass guitar For my birthday
Can you Imagine? From one single Idea everything appeared here.
RZA

Here in the Prime Creators universe all things are possible,because all things are possible many lessons are learned.

None Of This Is Real!

modsquad09
#6 Posted : 2/24/2009 4:07:13 PM

mods

lets hear em! post some downloads or youtube links
Everything above me is really a lie... think for yourself & question authority!

endlessness
#7 Posted : 2/24/2009 5:36:41 PM

DMT-Nexus member

i would like to hear you play, modsquad, and whoever else has videos or recordings of them playing Smile

The Traveler
#8 Posted : 2/24/2009 6:44:14 PM

"No, seriously"

Administrator | Skills: DMT, LSD, Programming

Hmm, I played in a band once. Smile

Here is a nice short jam-session of ours:
http://www.moonbase69.co.../TripToTheOtherSideX.mp3

Don't mind the bass-player too much in this one though, it was near the end of the evening and his hands were severely injured. The drums were computer, the rest is live.

Here is another more ambient jam session from around that same time:
http://www.moonbase69.co...rowler%20-%20AMBIENT.mp3

It's sound quality isn't the best but the sphere gets better and better. Again computer drums, rest live.

And as the last one a song that's not finished but you can hear a lot of potential from this one. Also from around the same time as the previous jam-sessions. I still like to make a new song out of the good parts of that session. The bass-line is soooo nice:
http://www.moonbase69.co...mation%20GenerationX.mp3

polytrip
#9 Posted : 2/24/2009 6:51:28 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Location: A speck of dust in endless space, like everyone else.
I play the piano. Never on spice, though. Whenever i'm on some substance i start to hear such crazy stuff that i run out of fingers to play it all. Too many melodies at the same time.

acolon_5
#10 Posted : 2/25/2009 10:06:07 PM

The Great Namah

Didgeridoo, guitar, violin

and hopefully sometimes soon an Hapi Drum!
The Spice extends life
The Spice expands consciousness
The Spice is vital for space travel
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
Never underestimate the power of STUFF!

I am certifiably insane, as such all posts written by me should be regarded as utter nonsense or attempts to get attention.

I don't know SWIM and personally don't trust him at all. If SWIM is posting, most likely I will not respond...as I said, I don't trust the guy. YOU I trust, but never SWIM.

endlessness
#11 Posted : 2/25/2009 10:24:55 PM

DMT-Nexus member

wow very nice to see all you people playing instruments.. will check those recordings out soon, traveler Smile

Darkbb
#12 Posted : 2/25/2009 11:20:43 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Lol thats awesome that there are so many artists here. I probably could start learning guitar since I am only 18. I just don't think I was made for that kind of thing though I've tried it for 3 months or around that time before. Ended up giving my guitar to my bro cause he wants to play country??????.

endlessness
#13 Posted : 2/25/2009 11:28:38 PM

DMT-Nexus member

im 24 and just started, and also never seemed to have talent for these things but its incredible how in 2 months one can evolve a LOT! Its just about dedicating a little time every day, watching youtube guitar lessons, getting chords and tabs of simple songs that one already knows quite a lot and can 'play' in the head (for me it was bob marley, sublime, pink floyd, etc), etc.

69ron
#14 Posted : 2/26/2009 9:48:49 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I sing and play guitar, piano, bass, flute, recorder, violin, percussion, and I love synthesizers, especially the Virus line. I've recorded several of my own albums over the many years. I love music and have always been interested in music. It’s really the voice of the soul.

For anyone out there just thinking about learning to play an instrument, GO FOR IT! Its one of the most rewarding things you can learn to do in life. It can be pure bliss.
You may remember me as 69Ron. I was suspended years ago for selling bunk products under false pretenses. I try to sneak back from time to time under different names, but unfortunately, the moderators of the DMT-Nexus are infinitely smarter than I am.

If you see me at the waterpark, please say hello. I'll be the delusional 50 something in the American flag Speedo, oiling up his monster guns while responding to imaginary requests for selfies from invisible teenage girls.

Dwhitty76
#15 Posted : 2/26/2009 10:59:48 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I play guitar,bass and a little piano.

I learned to play om my own,i never took music theory or any classes...it's just kind of in me.

I like improvisation and jamming and when i lived in brooklyn, i had amny people to play with but since i've been in florida, i dont really have anyone to play with and i've been becoming rusty Crying or very sad

I need to dust off those rusty strings, justa one more time - GD lyric
" Freedom from the desire for an answer is essential to the understanding of a problem." - jiddu Krishnamurti

Infinite I
#16 Posted : 2/26/2009 11:55:09 PM

JC

endlessness wrote:
im 24 and just started, and also never seemed to have talent for these things but its incredible how in 2 months one can evolve a LOT! Its just about dedicating a little time every day, watching youtube guitar lessons, getting chords and tabs of simple songs that one already knows quite a lot and can 'play' in the head (for me it was bob marley, sublime, pink floyd, etc), etc.

Totaally agree, I started playing the guitar when I was 18 after being told by a guy at 16 I was too old to learn it Rolling eyes

Its easily doable to learn the guitar even though it seems impossible at first, just takes some effort and patience, it still does for me now as I hardly play it nowadays. Ive started teaching my step daughter, shes 8, and a 12yrold boy and when I do it it gives me the enthusiasm to get back into it.

As mosquad said mushrooms helepd me a lot also. And acid, really how I got into it so much, though I still think im shit tbh.

Really like electronic music and have a couple of synths and full size rhodes keyboard but I never learned, just used it as a midi contorller. My flats too small to have these things on the go so recently ive been using reason ( software synth) rewired with nuendo (sequencer) to make stuff. Got a new soundcard so I can just plug in guitars or whatever and record, but it doesnt go with windows vista for some reason which is really annoying, it just crashes, driver problems. I also have a bass but I just pluck and dont have a clue, sounds good though when I record with ym pedal but the soundcard is a real pain when running on vista on my laptop.

I just want to go to friends houses take the laptop out plug guitars in and record everything but this driver problem is really depressing. Think I have to partition my drive and get xp on but thats also been a problem, plus im not very technical Mad I also like to dj, mainly dnb and techno. I found the decks a lot more accesible compared to the guitar when learning, but thats maybe because I love techno and drum and bass and it sounds great, unlike a learner guitar player lol

amor_fati
#17 Posted : 2/27/2009 2:51:34 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I used to record a bit, but I traded my mixer for some other music equipment (classic game boys, actually), because I didn't like the fancy "fx" and equalization that it applied to the mix. I've been on hiatus for some time but am now just getting back into recording. I can't really afford fancy equipment, however, so I've found my way to cassette recording; which has the benefit of low cost, a warm lo-fi sound, and boundless sentimental and nostalgic value. I first considered this after seeing "The Devil and Daniel Johnston," but it was the fact that many of the bands I now listen to (like Pocahaunted) release on cassette that finally broke me into it.

This is probably the best time I could've decided to get back into recording, considering the DIY and psychedelic nature of my most recent influences, and the fact that some prominent 8-bit-collective members have recently developed new equipment for the chiptune movement (the old equipment was unreliable, inefficient, and entirely inadequate bootleg crap).

We're building a tribe here, and some day our rebel yells will reach your ears.

These are exciting times we live in.

The Traveler
#18 Posted : 2/27/2009 7:31:11 AM

"No, seriously"

Administrator | Skills: DMT, LSD, Programming

amor_fati wrote:
I used to record a bit, but I traded my mixer for some other music equipment (classic game boys, actually), because I didn't like the fancy "fx" and equalization that it applied to the mix. I've been on hiatus for some time but am now just getting back into recording. I can't really afford fancy equipment

Nowadays, computers are very inexpensive mixers with LOADS of options. Try something like Reaper or Cubase to mix your music, together with the free VST plugins it's all you need to start with. In the beginning you can use your onboard soundcard with ASIO4All, later on you can buy an inexpensive external soundcard, for only $ 99,- you have descent one to start with these days.

amor_fati
#19 Posted : 2/27/2009 3:32:05 PM

DMT-Nexus member

The Traveler wrote:

Nowadays, computers are very inexpensive mixers with LOADS of options. Try something like Reaper or Cubase to mix your music, together with the free VST plugins it's all you need to start with. In the beginning you can use your onboard soundcard with ASIO4All, later on you can buy an inexpensive external soundcard, for only $ 99,- you have descent one to start with these days.

My onboard soundcard is fried, so I use an ancient serial card with no inputs. Besides, I've already got a decent cassette deck (w/ 1/4" mono L/R inputs) and a mini-mixer. A 4-track tascam cassette recorder with studio phones and a condenser will only run me $140. Plus I generally consider digital formats as supplementary to analogue in most cases, as analogue releases have more tangible value on top of being far more "warm-sounding". Eventually I'll get my music into digital format by tape->rca->usb, but for now, this is best way to go in order to simply get my music recorded.

People may think it's simple pretension to use outdated equipment, but I tend to feel as though we haven't explored all the possibilities of that equipment. I don't see technology as a necessarily forward march of progress, so I tend not to adhere ideas like obsolescence. I think we take these things for granted.

69ron
#20 Posted : 2/27/2009 6:38:46 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Analog equipment has more dimension to it.

I mostly use digital equipment because I use a digital synthesizer most of the time and because that's what gets the job done fast and there are lots of options in that world, but analog has a richer sound. This is because the sound waves recorded on an analog system don't have a rigid step from one point to the next. With the digital sound available on a normal 16-bit audio CD, there are only 65536 different values a wave can have from minimum to maximum. My ears can here this limitation. It makes the sound thin and gives it that “digital sound” some people complain about. With analog there’s an almost infinite amount of different values from minimum to maximum, not a fixed amount of options. This is what makes analog sound so “warm” and “natural”. When listening to analog music, the ears are hearing something that mimics a real sound wave with smooth movement from one point to the next. With digital music, the ears are hearing rigid movements from one point to the next.

A digital jump in a wave would be like this if moving up just 3 points over a short period of time:

The same jump in analog would be more like this:

Because the shift from 0-3 is smoother with analog, it has a warmer sound.
You may remember me as 69Ron. I was suspended years ago for selling bunk products under false pretenses. I try to sneak back from time to time under different names, but unfortunately, the moderators of the DMT-Nexus are infinitely smarter than I am.

If you see me at the waterpark, please say hello. I'll be the delusional 50 something in the American flag Speedo, oiling up his monster guns while responding to imaginary requests for selfies from invisible teenage girls.

123NEXT