We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
PREV12
morning glory leaves Options

Parshvik Chintan
#21 Posted : 1/26/2013 11:39:28 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Phlux- wrote:
if the fungal partner is external and is required how does it get there (rides along in the seedpod ?, common airborne spore ?)

i would assume that if it is in the cells of the plant, it would be in the cells of the seed, and thus the cells of the offspring.

My wind instrument is the bong
CHANGA IN THE BONGA!

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

SKA
#22 Posted : 2/10/2013 5:23:01 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Finding live Morning Glory plants shouldn't be a problem in most countries, right?
Whoever here are able to do proper chemical analysis of plant matter should buy some MG plants,
harvest their leaves and test them for alkaloids.

Perhaps there are people around here with these knowledge & equipment to try and see if they
can perhaps get the fungus to live in a substrate in a petri-dish. Then perhaps, if fed the right,
precursors, this fungus could produce LSH, LSD or active analogues. It could be used to determine
how MGs produce LSA and how perhaps these plants, if given the right precursors in it's water,
could be brought to produce LSD, LSH or other unnatural analoques.

Anyone?

Kash
#23 Posted : 2/13/2013 6:30:42 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Senior Member | Skills: Chemistry and Programming

I think genetic engineering to produce LSD would be pretty far-fetched, but how I wish it were possible.

One thing at our fingertips though would be to do some extraction tests on entire MG plants. Consider the amount of LSA and derivatives in the small seeds alone, and then how large the entire plant is. The concentrations in the plant are likely less, but due to the larger amount of biomass, maybe significant amounts of LSA could be present. This is exciting!

I feel that a decent extraction procedure for MG plants may prove difficult. LSA's Swim has found will degrade very rapidly in basic solution strong enough to break down plant material (pH10+). On the flip side, a mild acid bath would be fine but runs the risk of mold. Strong acid bath Swim is unsure of if the LSA's will degrade, but seems likely. One could simply use IPA or acetone effectively, but the volume required would probably be large and expensive.

And on another note, maybe it would be possible to simmer the plant material to extract the LSA's. Swim has performed successful extractions of seeds using IPA, and reducing the IPA extract for an hour via distillation to a more manageable volume, and achieved very active LSA. This apparent LSA stability in boiling IPA has made me curious for a while now, and kind of challenges the common view that LSA is sensitive to heat. Any thoughts?
--------------------------------------------------*Kash's LSA Extraction* * Kash's Mescaline Extraction*------------------------------------------------------
All things I say are complete and utter ramblings of nonsense. Do not consider taking anything iterated from the depths of my subconsciousness rationally and/or seriously.

benzyme
#24 Posted : 2/13/2013 7:01:08 AM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

as you know, isomerization is the bane of LSA activity. heat would certainly have an effect on this, as it's a form of kinetic (vibrational) energy which can influence conformational 'flipping' of the terminal functional group about the stereocenter. I'd avoid any sort of heat above room temp (based on past experiences with biological cultures).

choose solvents with the highest solubility.
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted." ~ hassan i sabbah
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

Kash
#25 Posted : 2/13/2013 7:08:16 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Senior Member | Skills: Chemistry and Programming

benzyme wrote:
as you know, isomerization is the bane of LSA activity. heat would certainly have an effect on this, as it's a form of kinetic (vibrational) energy which can influence conformational 'flipping' of the terminal functional group about the stereocenter. I'd avoid any sort of heat above room temp (based on past experiences with biological cultures).

choose solvents with the highest solubility.

Of course one would think to avoid heat, this is the accepted view for ergolines. But how do you explain the phenomena of LSA remaining completely active after IPA distillation? I can personally confirm this. It is not a matter of what should happen, it is a matter of what has occured, that being IPA extract remained very active after significant heating.

--------------------------------------------------*Kash's LSA Extraction* * Kash's Mescaline Extraction*------------------------------------------------------
All things I say are complete and utter ramblings of nonsense. Do not consider taking anything iterated from the depths of my subconsciousness rationally and/or seriously.

changalvia
#26 Posted : 2/13/2013 11:43:55 AM

eat your jungle oats

I'm no veteran but I've always had a strong connection with this plant, never been able to find one that produces seed, although I have steeped the flowers in some jack daniels and water, tasted kinda like banana whiskey and kinda made me feel stoned but that could be placebo.

Actually on monday I took a few leaves and flowers from a neighboring vine and I'm waiting for it to get nice and crackly so I can use it for enhanced herbs, maybe the plant will tell me something Razz
With every great plan comes the pleasure of patience. Take a rest, and grab a suckle off the teat of life!

Vodsel
#27 Posted : 3/2/2013 7:01:02 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Senior Member | Skills: Filmmaking and Storytelling, Video and Audio Technology, Teaching, Gardening, Languages (Proficient Spanish, Catalan and English, and some french, italian and russian), Seafood cuisine

I'm updating this with a paper just appeared in PLOS Genetics:

Plant-Symbiotic Fungi as Chemical Engineers: Multi-Genome Analysis of the Clavicipitaceae Reveals Dynamics of Alkaloid Loci.

Lots of new information, includes phylogenetics and alkaloid profiles of Clavicipitaceae fungi.

Parshvik Chintan
#28 Posted : 5/20/2013 6:56:31 AM

DMT-Nexus member

so.. whatever happened to trying to cultivate Clavicipitaceae?
My wind instrument is the bong
CHANGA IN THE BONGA!

TOXSIN
#29 Posted : 5/20/2013 7:58:06 AM

Knowledge is power, at the price of losing the bliss of ignorance

3 years ago I was growing alot of MG trying to get my own seeds to try a natural untreated batch to see if it was higher quality, I never got any seeds from my plants but what I did do was take every single flower that fell off (never ripped them off) unless they were hanging by a thread and visibly about to fall and I would mix them in a tea with some skullcap, and sometimes alone, I never got psychedelic effects but it does have a nice mellow, relaxing feeling to drink a tea made with the flowers at least heavenly blue variety did, dunno about others.
Understand: Nature knows no EVIL, Nature knows no GOOD, people know these things, because we perceive these things, with the gift of senses given to us at birth. A good or bad experience is simply a bridge to a another existential time frame, so always live in the moment and make every one a positive moment!

Any and all posts or interactions are to be held as my fictional writings/short stories or dreams. I may even have some delirium setting in, I've never been tested for it. The only exception to this is the statement about nature above, I feel this is a fact!

PREV12