We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
PREV1234NEXT»
Consider only accessing this kind of community from the "darkweb" Options

CatholicPsychonaut
#21 Posted : 9/26/2012 6:21:11 AM

"Nature loves courage"

Shaolin wrot
Quote:

The darkweb news reports are stupid. I don't want to use another word because all I hear about are paedophiles and hitmen.
e:

[MOD EDIT: WE DO NOT TALK ABOUT SOURCING!]

This country was founded on the idea that people had a right to privacy and free speech and to not have the govt meddling in their lives, especially if they were law-abiding citizens. Wanting to NOT be watched is not an admission of guilt. There are so many companies out there now whose business models are more or less this: Convince people to GIVE us something extremely valuable (their personal data) and then sell it to those interested in mining it for trends which can make them rich off you.

[MOD EDIT: WE DO NOT TALK ABOUT SOURCING!]
"Christians often ask why God does not speak to them, as they believed God did in former days. When I hear such questions, it always makes me think of the Rabbi who was asked how it could be that God was manifest to people in the olden days whereas nowadays nobody ever sees God. The rabbi replied, 'Nowadays there is no longer anybody who can bow low enough.'"
--Carl Jung

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

benzyme
#22 Posted : 9/26/2012 6:26:05 AM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

CatholicPsychonaut wrote:
benzyme wrote:
I use https everywhere. I have no patience for tor.

Waiting a few more seconds to see a website is worth it when you consider what you're giving up for that little bit of speed, which is everything. It's like saying "I just don't have time to get dressed in the morning, so I go out naked every day," Or, "I just don't have time to get into my wallet and get out my debit card every time I shop, so I just had my card number and SS# tattooed on my forehead. I'm sure everyone who can see it is trustworthy."

you think they're going to decrypt what I'm typing through HTTPS?
i venture no.

there's nothing you could tell me to convince me to use tor, end of story.
(admittedly, I only use it to access scientific databases, but that's it).

and why is this in Health & Safety?
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted." ~ hassan i sabbah
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

CatholicPsychonaut
#23 Posted : 9/26/2012 6:32:11 AM

"Nature loves courage"

a1pha wrote:
Essentially, without something like Tor, EVERY COMMUNICATION you have on the internet is being tracked, recorded, and logged...

So, your conclusion is that by using Tor communications will not be tracked, recorded and logged? IMO, your conclusion is false. Depending on your sources, the mere use of Tor increases the likelyhood of the very thing you claim to avoid (that is, being tracked, recorded and logged).

Not necessarily by law enforcement, but by private companies, who have none of the constitutional requirements of unlawful search and seizure.

Which private companies have access to logs of browsing the DMT-Nexus? There are strict regulations in place regarding ISPs and personal browsing history. In addition, The Traveler removed all trackers (THANK YOU!) many months ago...

Perhaps their motive isn't to put you in jail, but the fact that they've GOT all this info makes it very easy for law enforcement to obtain it, much more easy than it was for them 10 years ago.

Can you explain the point you are trying to make here? It seems illogical to say it is much easier for them to obtain incriminating information about you but also say their motive is not to put you in jail. This seems contradictory.

It isn't contradictory. You'd be surprised how many cookies you have on your computer whose job it to record every website you visit and report this back to some company's servers, where they catalog what you're interested in and try and use that to target ads that will make you buy something. This is sole business model of Facebook... Track what you're doing, and sell the data to advertisers.

And when these private companies have the data, it is much easier for a law enforcement agency who may be interested in seeing what is going to get this data from them, especially if they have close working relationships, as do Google and the NSA. The homeland security act actually makes it illegal for a company to tell you that there has been a govt request for you data if they come looking for it.

So... The motive of the company collecting your data is NOT to put you in jail, it is to mine your data for info they can either sell to advertisers, or mine it for things they themselves can use to sell you things. The very fact that this data is being collected, though, makes things much simpler and more cost effective for LE, if they want to find out what you've been up to.

Every time you log into Tor, you are creating an entirely new IP address from which to broadcast yourself. You can even, very quickly, "change identity" and broadcast from a different location anywhere in the world. Sure, the govt may be monitoring web traffic to see how much is "darkweb", but as long as you aren't giving your true name, true location, or other identifying markers on the websites you're visiting, there's no way for those doing the tracking to pinpoint who you are.

In terms of trackers, I'm not concerned about the Traveler knowing who I am. I'm comfortable with that... What I'm not comfortable with is EVERYONE knowing who I am, which is what you're essentially doing if you don't go cloaked.
"Christians often ask why God does not speak to them, as they believed God did in former days. When I hear such questions, it always makes me think of the Rabbi who was asked how it could be that God was manifest to people in the olden days whereas nowadays nobody ever sees God. The rabbi replied, 'Nowadays there is no longer anybody who can bow low enough.'"
--Carl Jung

DeMenTed
#24 Posted : 9/26/2012 6:36:09 AM

Barry

Well by saying you're in the uk and then moaning about sonoronsong and saying things like "this country" obviously advertising that you are in the US is just silly. i knew there was something strange going on lol.

CatholicPsychonaut
#25 Posted : 9/26/2012 6:36:20 AM

"Nature loves courage"

benzyme wrote:
benzyme wrote:
I use https everywhere. I have no patience for tor.

Waiting a few more seconds to see a website is worth it when you consider what you're giving up for that little bit of speed, which is everything. It's like saying "I just don't have time to get dressed in the morning, so I go out naked every day," Or, "I just don't have time to get into my wallet and get out my debit card every time I shop, so I just had my card number and SS# tattooed on my forehead. I'm sure everyone who can see it is trustworthy."

you think they're going to decrypt what I'm typing through HTTPS?
i venture no.

there's nothing you could tell me to convince me to use tor, end of story.
(admittedly, I only use it to access scientific databases, but that's it).

and why is this in Health & Safety?

i consider safety to include such things as not going to prison and not showing my naked ass to strangers... Again, just an analogy. It's not about WHAT you are typing so much as WHERE you have been. I'm not talking about somebody hacking into the feed between your computer and this webpage. I'm talking about the constant recording of which sites your computer is interacting with...

Did you listen to the podcast?
--Carl Jung

a1pha
#26 Posted : 9/26/2012 6:38:40 AM

Moderator | Skills: Master hacker!

... but as long as you aren't giving your true name, true location, or other identifying markers on the websites you're visiting, there's no way for those doing the tracking to pinpoint who you are.

Even if 'they' operate enough exit nodes?
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored." -A.Huxley

benzyme
#27 Posted : 9/26/2012 6:39:53 AM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

I have not, but you're acting like this sort of thing is something new.
The Echelon initiative has been going on for several decades, and its reaches are way beyond the internet.

thanks for preaching to the choir though, there are several threads on this topic.
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

CatholicPsychonaut
#28 Posted : 9/26/2012 6:40:54 AM

"Nature loves courage"

Honestly, I'm surprised to have gotten so much flack about this. I thought it was common sense... Seems like The Traveler agrees with me, although I won't speak for him. Especially considering that we're on here admitting to being felons. Sure, we're admitting to breaking laws we consider stupid and unjust, but still... Better safe than NOT safe.
--Carl Jung

benzyme
#29 Posted : 9/26/2012 6:42:45 AM

analytical chemist

you're doing nothing but being an alarmist, and redundant.
like I said, there are other threads discussing internet security. a1pha is an expert on such things, as is The Traveler

CatholicPsychonaut
#30 Posted : 9/26/2012 6:43:42 AM

"Nature loves courage"

benzyme wrote:
I have not, but you're acting like this sort of thing is something new.
The Echelon initiative has been going on for several decades, and its reaches are way beyond the internet.

thanks for preaching to the choir though, there are several threads on this topic.

Owch... It IS new to me. I only recently started realizing how intense the probing of data on the net has become. I'm just interested in having a conversation with my beloved community about something I'm thinking about a lot these days. No need to troll me about it, bro.
--Carl Jung

CatholicPsychonaut
#31 Posted : 9/26/2012 6:44:36 AM

"Nature loves courage"

benzyme wrote:
you're doing nothing but being an alarmist, and redundant.
like I said, there are other threads discussing intenet security. a1pha is an expert on such things, as is The Traveler

Why rely on others for your safety? Why not KNOW for yourself, that your data is secure?
--Carl Jung

benzyme
#32 Posted : 9/26/2012 6:45:53 AM

analytical chemist

because I use HTTPS everywhere.
and, I'm not doing anything illegal.

CatholicPsychonaut
#33 Posted : 9/26/2012 6:47:14 AM

"Nature loves courage"

DeMenTed wrote:
Well by saying you're in the uk and then moaning about sonoronsong and saying things like "this country" obviously advertising that you are in the US is just silly. i knew there was something strange going on lol.

OK. You got me. It doesn't really matter, though.
--Carl Jung

a1pha
#34 Posted : 9/26/2012 6:49:22 AM

Moderator | Skills: Master hacker!

DeMenTed wrote:

OK. You got me. It doesn't really matter, though.

social engineering > Tor

Wink
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored." -A.Huxley

DeMenTed
#35 Posted : 9/26/2012 6:50:07 AM

Barry

Lol theres nothing wrong with faking where you are, most people just put the moon or outer hyperspace or some other unknown place Smile

CatholicPsychonaut
#36 Posted : 9/26/2012 6:50:07 AM

"Nature loves courage"

benzyme wrote:
because I use HTTPS everywhere.
and, I'm not doing anything illegal.

Isn't there implied illegal acts just by being on here?.. I mean, seriously. The name of the forum contains a schedule I substance.
--Carl Jung

CatholicPsychonaut
#37 Posted : 9/26/2012 6:51:14 AM

"Nature loves courage"

DeMenTed wrote:
Lol theres nothing wrong with faking where you are, most people just put the moon or outer hyperspace or some other unknown place Smile

I like to imagine I'm from Stonehenge. Smile
--Carl Jung

DeMenTed
#38 Posted : 9/26/2012 6:52:36 AM

Barry

visting the dmt nexus isn't illegal.

DeMenTed
#39 Posted : 9/26/2012 6:53:21 AM

Barry

Ahh i see now Smile

CatholicPsychonaut
#40 Posted : 9/26/2012 6:53:42 AM

"Nature loves courage"

DeMenTed wrote:

I like to imagine I'm from Stonehenge. Smile

I'll change it to Chichen Itza for you, if you like that better, DeMenTend Wink
--Carl Jung

PREV1234NEXT»