We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
What do you think of this grow set up Options

finding0
#1 Posted : 9/23/2012 7:49:51 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Well hello travelers. I have not been here for a long while. Last night I randomly had a big urge to jump back into this fascinating world and I came up with an idea on growing mushrooms. Really I am looking for feedback and recommendations as I never seen this idea before but plenty of things close to it.

I got the idea when looking into the straw log tek. I saw people laying the log on its side to grow or propping it up right but with the bottom completely covered. So I thought "how can I get fruit to grow from all angles" So I decided suspending the log on top of criss-crossing dowels would allow for its full potential. The rest of the set up is self explanatory to those who are into this.

Quick edit : The encasement is a plastic tubular bag
*Any time The word "I" is used by this account it is referring to a fictional character *

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

Enoon
#2 Posted : 9/23/2012 7:59:37 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Moderator | Skills: Harm reduction, Analytical thinking

not sure that the perlite will be enough for the humidity control, but I have no experience with straw-logs. I just know that the little'uns really like it humid (at least from my experience). also, some species seem to require more fresh air than others. You might consider some kind of system to pump filtered air in there, or to move the air around a bit.

Just a suggestion. The general idea looks alright to me, but like I said, I have no experience with straw logs.

good luck and happy growing!!!
Buon viso a cattivo gioco!
---
The Open Hyperspace Traveler Handbook - A handbook for the safe and responsible use of entheogens.
---
mushroom-grow-help ::: energy conserving caapi extraction

jamie
#3 Posted : 9/23/2012 8:01:07 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expert | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growingSenior Member | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growing

why not just build a normal fruiting chamber? Seems to work fine for me and is much more simple. All you need is a rubbermaid container..some perlite, lava rock etc and some cakes.
Long live the unwoke.

finding0
#4 Posted : 9/23/2012 8:05:33 PM

DMT-Nexus member

jamie wrote:
why not just build a normal fruiting chamber? Seems to work fine for me and is much more simple. All you need is a rubbermaid container..some perlite, lava rock etc and some cakes.

In a normal fruiting chamber one side of the log will be covered and take away the potential for more fruit. At least in my theory
*Any time The word "I" is used by this account it is referring to a fictional character *

finding0
#5 Posted : 9/23/2012 8:10:32 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Enoon wrote:
not sure that the perlite will be enough for the humidity control, but I have no experience with straw-logs. I just know that the little'uns really like it humid (at least from my experience). also, some species seem to require more fresh air than others. You might consider some kind of system to pump filtered air in there, or to move the air around a bit.

Just a suggestion. The general idea looks alright to me, but like I said, I have no experience with straw logs.

good luck and happy growing!!!

Yea ill probably throw in an air pump. I couldn't imagine the perlite not being enough for moister

jamie
#6 Posted : 9/23/2012 8:16:49 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expert | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growingSenior Member | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growing

finding0 wrote:
jamie wrote:

In a normal fruiting chamber one side of the log will be covered and take away the potential for more fruit. At least in my theory

Yeah I guess..but in reality I dont know how true that is. Its the surfact area that you are talking about..and a larger flat grow chamber might still cover the same surface area as the log of straw.
Long live the unwoke.

finding0
#7 Posted : 9/23/2012 9:12:36 PM

DMT-Nexus member

astralspice wrote:
Now I realize that you want to do up a log but here is what I do.......

Nice, is there perlite in the bottom

astralspice
#8 Posted : 9/23/2012 9:24:07 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Nope, It dosen't require perlite. This is just verm and WBS(the rez effect) and the moisture from the sub itself keeps the humidity high and with all the holes gives decent air flow. then I just pump the shower cap for fresh air and mist once in a while. The last bucket I had gave me about 30 dry grams using 2 quarts of WBS and 2 quarts of 50/50 coir/verm. Keep er simple
REALITY 5.0

finding0
#9 Posted : 9/23/2012 9:30:44 PM

DMT-Nexus member

astralspice wrote:
Nope, It dosen't require perlite. This is just verm and WBS(the rez effect) and the moisture from the sub itself keeps the humidity high and with all the holes gives decent air flow. then I just pump the shower cap for fresh air and mist once in a while. The last bucket I had gave me about 30 dry grams using 2 quarts of WBS and 2 quarts of 50/50 coir/verm. Keep er simple

Nice was it a cake or in a small pan?

astralspice
#10 Posted : 9/23/2012 10:01:58 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Nope lol It's just spread out in the bottom of the bucket, I guess it is a nice juicy cake that forms after the myc takes over the casing
REALITY 5.0

finding0
#11 Posted : 9/23/2012 10:11:20 PM

DMT-Nexus member

astralspice wrote:
Nope lol It's just spread out in the bottom of the bucket, I guess it is a nice juicy cake that forms after the myc takes over the casing

Oh again nice. I think I may adopt your bucket method instead. Sounds about as simple as it gets.

NNDMT
#12 Posted : 9/25/2012 2:08:22 AM

not here nor there, but everywhere

Nice! props on simple yet innovative thinking
I think I'm blessed to have my endless curiosity pave the road to uncharted territories in ever changing, and unfolding reality.
Whåt wë ñèéd î§ å vøçåßµlãr¥ tø d맩ríþê ªll thë mºdålïtïê§ ðf å dïvïñë ïñéþrïåñt.

Mr.Peabody
#13 Posted : 10/9/2012 7:32:27 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I dare say, my good sir! There are penises in your bucket!

My set up is on the other end, overly-complicated, with humidifiers fans heater and what not.

I am colonizing some substrate right now and you may have made me change my mind and try your method!
Be an adult only when necessary.