We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Bufo Alvarius Options

coz42
#1 Posted : 2/18/2009 8:42:09 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I'm considering BBB's live toads but... I've had a couple experiences with them and I'm just kinda iffy about the whole thing. Any carers prove positive choice from BBB? Mostly wants one because his fish aquarium had been wrecked with disease in the past month and was super p/o'd. So now he has an empty 50gallon tank with no occupants..

So does anyone have any experience with caring of B. Alvarius? The tank should be a nice habitat. Add a plant or two maybe, stick diviners sage in there maybe. And for the substrate, would desert sand or something like pine mulch be better.. I've got loads of that (Azure failures!!....Confused) Can I make a little bottom flow pond sort of level?

But hey, if anyone in the PSW area willing to make a catch for me I'd be more than happy to take it off your hands Smile

Id like to get into breeding and perhaps even start a little breeders service someday. Im only concerned with the caring of one but this interests me. Any breeding teks available? Some sort of toad pheromone available to public? Perhaps an even larger tank would be recommended for this though..

Thx
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught. ~Baba Dioum

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

Mill
#2 Posted : 2/20/2009 12:46:31 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Hey there, it's been a while since your post but I just thought I'd say that I ordered by Bufo alvarius from BBB over five years ago and it still seems to be doing very well and I'm guessing he was at least several years old when I got him.

A mixed terrain of sand/gravel along with maybe an area of hardwood chips. They just need enough substance to bury themselves a bit as they naturally spend quite a lot of time underground. Just give them enough stuff to feel hidden and secure.

Access to water is also a must although they will use it more or less depending on the season and their activity level. They tend to be much less active during the winter months even though indoors so food intake also varies but during a significant part of the year they can eat like crazy. When interesting insects/bugs/spiders/ cannot be found outside or during the colder months, I feed him large crickets although a nice pinky mouse would be a nice treat from time to time.

They are a lot of fun to watch seek out and go after larger prey such as large grasshoppers. I've seen a couple good battles but the toad always prevails and manages to stomach his quarry. Anyway they're pretty cool to have around and don't require a ton a maintenance. Good luck

coz42
#3 Posted : 2/22/2009 7:30:59 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Awesome thanks, how often would you say you feed him crickets, worms, bugs? Concerned about humidity, I have a tropic aire system and wondering if regular temp/humidity levels are necessary.

I also care of a rose hair tarantula that loves to feed off pinky's.. PROTEIN!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/w...824c&feature=related
Look at where they're eating Laughing

Oh and also, how are you able to tell if its a male or a female toad?
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught. ~Baba Dioum

Mill
#4 Posted : 2/22/2009 7:50:45 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Well this time of year they don't eat quite as much...I usually throw in maybe 2-3 dozen crickets per month when they're less active like now...but come spring/summer probably the equivalent of about that same amount per week give or take.

They don't need much humidity at all...they need close access to water but the majority of their habitat should be dry as they are native to the Sonoran Desert of Arizona.

Honestly I'm not 100% about the sex of my toad. It's not easy to tell the difference but I think something to do with toe color is a way to tell them apart.