We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
12NEXT
NAC :: N-acetylcysteine :: Substantial Psychoactivity Options

CosmicLion
#1 Posted : 9/21/2012 6:20:56 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Adventrues in Neuroscience - Episode 1 - NAC
By: The Cosmic Lion

If you don't care about the science or my explanation, skip straight to the Conclusions section at the end for the concise summary and dosage recommendation!

NAC, or N-acetylcysteine, can be found over the coutner at most GNC's and many health food stores. GNC sells the 600mg pills, fairly weak, it is ideal to seek the 1,000mg pills due to the high recommended dosages.

NAC is all at once a nooptropic (smart drug), a physical medicine, and a serious psychiatric tool

NAC is an acetylized version of the natural amino-acid cysteine that is a precursor to Glutamate, which effects the Glutamate system, which is responsible for learning, memory, motivation and cognition. It has a TON of medical application already. Additionally, recent studies show psychiatric effects on the glutmate, dopamaine and NMDA brain systems.

Bear with me here, this post is long but filled with goodies. I present you here with MY summary, Wiki + WedMD info, then at the end the NEW info regarding its new use in psychiatry (Including a CUSTOM dose recommendation!). I will also explain the relevance of each quote after its posted. Stay tuned.

New studies have shown that NAC "facilitates the release of dopamine" which has had profound psychiatric applications.

NAC has been used for various things for a while now, but only RECENTLY have larger doses been found to be EXTREMELY therapeutic psychologically so much so that it is now being WIDELY used by psychiatrists across the board.

NAC is being used by psychiatrists to treat previously untreatable patients suffering everything from mild to major depression & bi-polar, to schizophrenia. It is often MOST effective for people who are "stable" enough to not warrant pharma meds but that still in need something to get their life on track.

It also helps with addictions, including Cannabis.

A colleague of mine prescribes it to patients with PHENOMENAL results in going from unproductive to finally being "normal and motivated" again, even without weed!

So whats WIKI say about this stuff?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acetylcysteine

Quote:
"Acetylcysteine, also known as N-acetylcysteine or N-acetyl-L-cysteine (abbreviated NAC), is a pharmaceutical drug and nutritional supplement used primarily as a mucolytic agent and in the management of paracetamol (acetaminophen) overdose."

IINNNTERESTING.... Lets get some clarity from WebMD:

Quote:
"N-acetyl cysteine is used to counteract acetaminophen (Tylenol) and carbon monoxide poisoning. It is also used for chest pain (unstable angina), bile duct blockage in infants, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS, Lou Gehrig’s disease), Alzheimer’s disease, allergic reactions to the anti-seizure drug phenytoin (Dilantin), and an eye infection called keratoconjunctivitis. It is also used for reducing levels of a type of cholesterol called lipoprotein (a), homocysteine levels (a possible risk factor for heart disease) and the risk of heart attack and stroke in patients with serious kidney disease.

Some people use N-acetyl cysteine for chronic bronchitis, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), hay fever, a lung condition called fibrosing alveolitis, head and neck cancer, and lung cancer. It is also used for treating some forms of epilepsy; ear infections; complications of kidney dialysis; chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS); an autoimmune disorder called Sjogren’s syndrome; preventing sports injury complications; radiation treatment; increasing immunity to flu and H1N1 (swine) flu; and for detoxifying heavy metals such as mercury, lead, and cadmium.

N-acetyl cysteine is also used for preventing alcoholic liver damage; for protecting against environmental pollutants including carbon monoxide, chloroform, urethanes and certain herbicides; for reducing toxicity of ifosfamide and doxorubicin, drugs that are used for cancer treatment; as a hangover remedy; for preventing kidney damage due to certain X-ray dyes; and for human immunodeficiency virus (HIV).

Healthcare providers give N-acetyl cysteine intravenously (by IV) for acetaminophen overdose, acrylonitrile poisoning, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS, Lou Gehrig’s disease), kidney failure in the presence of liver disease (hepatorenal syndrome), chest pain in combination with nitroglycerin, heart attack in combination with nitroglycerin and streptokinase, and for helping to prevent multi-organ failure leading to death."

AWESOME! How medicinal! But how does it effect the brain?

Lets look a recent study, I'll even BOLD the important parts for you:

"N-acetylcysteine in psychiatry: current therapeutic evidence and potential mechanisms of action"

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3044191/

Quote:
Abstract:
"There is an expanding field of research investigating the benefits of alternatives to current pharmacological therapies in psychiatry. N-acetylcysteine (NAC) is emerging as a useful agent in the treatment of psychiatric disorders. Like many therapies, the clinical origins of NAC are far removed from its current use in psychiatry. Whereas the mechanisms of NAC are only beginning to be understood, it is likely that NAC is exerting benefits beyond being a precursor to the antioxidant, glutathione, modulating glutamatergic, neurotropic and inflammatory pathways.

This review outlines the current literature regarding the use of NAC in disorders including addiction, compulsive and grooming disorders, schizophrenia and bipolar disorder. N-acetylcysteine has shown promising results in populations with these disorders, including those in whom treatment efficacy has previously been limited. The therapeutic potential of this acetylated amino acid is beginning to emerge in the field of psychiatric research."

Sweet! So lets get to the good stuff:

Quote:
"Alterations in pro- and anti-inflammatory cytokines, including interleukin (IL)-6, IL-1β and tumour necrosis factor (TNF)–α, have been reported in populations with depression, and to a lesser extent, bipolar disorder and schizophrenia.16,17 These inflammatory cytokines are potential contributors to the underlying pathophysiology of these disorders. N-acetylcysteine has been shown to have anti-inflammatory properties (Fig. 1) that are linked to oxidative pathways, which may provide another potential mechanism of action in the benefits of NAC in psychiatry."

OK so people that are depressed, bi-polar or shitzo have an "unbalanced" cytokine system. They even believe this specific unbalance is the CAUSE of these disorders! The NAC shows anti-inflammatory properties that restore balance to the cytokine system thus restoring mental health.

Onward...

Lets take a look how NAC effects the Glutamate system:

Quote:
"In addition to the effects on oxidative balance, alterations in cysteine levels have also been shown to modulate neuro-transmitter pathways, including glutamate and dopamine (DA; Fig. 1).23,24 Cysteine assists in the regulation of neuronal intra- and extracellular exchange of glutamate through the cystine–glutamate antiporter. Whereas this antiporter is ubiquitous throughout all cell types, in the brain it is preferentially located on glial cells.25 The dimer, cystine, is taken up by astrocytes and exchanged for glutamate, which is released into the extracellular space. This free glutamate appears to stimulate inhibitory metabotropic glutamate receptors on glutamatergic nerve terminals and thereby reduce the synaptic release of glutamate.26 Given that relation, the amount of cysteine in the system as well as the feedback via GSH production by neurons may directly regulate the amount of glutamate present in the extracellular space. Furthermore, GSH itself has been shown to potentiate brain N-methyl-d-aspartate receptor response to glutamate in rats.27,28 Changes in the levels of neuronal GSH may not only alter available glutamate levels, but also have direct consequences on glutamatergic function."

WOW! Like me, I bet you missed some of the important stuff on the first read. Lets dissect it. Now THIS seems tricky... What is extra cellular space? "Extra cellular space (ECS) may be imagined as a system of interconnected channels demarcated by cellular membranes and filled with an ionic solution, primarily NaCl, along with macromolecules" in which "the ECS mediates intercellular communication and the transport of nutrients and metabolites"

OK so NAC causes Glutmate to enter this Extracellular Space (ECS). This glutamate in the ECS has the effect of inhibiting, or stopping, glutamate from being released in the synapse. This is significant because many patients suffer psychological issues from TOO MUCH glutamate in the synapse.

NAC modulates the Gluatmate system, with the glutamate system playing major factors in cognition, learning, memory and behavior.

ALRIGHT, wait, so wtf is this "N-methyl-d-aspartate recepor" it mentions??? This is none other then our popular NMDA receptor!

The NMDA receptor "is the predominant molecular device for controlling synaptic plasticity and memory function" in which "calcium flux through NMDARs is thought to be critical in synaptic plasticity, a cellular mechanism for learning and memory" which in turns leads to solutions to complex cognitive problems such as motivation.

So WHAT is going on here exactly? The NMDA receptor reacts GREAT to the NMDA compound (a synthetic compound) but only KIND OF reacts to glutamate (your barin's natural compound). The NAC increases the NMDA Receptor's ability to 'accept' glutamate thus leading to potential action of stimulating learning, memory and motivation.

WHAT NEXT?!?!

Lets take a look at NAC's effects on the Dopamine System.

Quote:
"In addition to modulating glutamate levels through the cystine–glutamate antiporter, NAC has also been shown to alter Dopamine (DA) release. Following amphetamine treatment to rat striatal slices, NAC has been shown to facilitate vesicular DA release at low doses in striatal neurons and inhibit release at millimolar concentrations.29 In monkeys, NAC has been shown to protect against reductions in DA transporter levels following repeated methamphetamine administration,30 suggesting one mechanism whereby increased DA release was facilitated in the previous study."

WOAH! So NAC makes Dopamine be released! Sweet deal! Lets take a closer look at dopamine... stimulants (ADD meds included) usually work by increasing amounts of dopamine in the brain. Dopamine, in some ways, can be considered a major 'thought' chemical. When someone is psychotic, they think too much and too extravagantly. Some of the most potent anti-psychotic drugs are dopamine-inhibiting agents which REMOVES dopamine from the brain (well from the synapses, but you know!)

OK so lets look at amphetamine users... the amphetamines stimulate TOO MUCH of a release of dopamine. This causes the tolerance, addiction and subsequent over-oxidation of emotional systems that leads to the long term personality disorders seen in amphetamine addicts. "Methamphetamine is not directly neurotoxic but its use is associated with an increased risk of Parkinson's disease due to the fact that uncontrolled dopamine release is neurotoxic.[5][21] Long-term dopamine upregulation occurring as a result of Methamphetamine abuse can cause neurotoxicity which is believed to be responsible for causing persisting cognitive deficits, such as memory, impaired attention and executive function"

So NAC "protects against reductions in Dopamine transporter levels following repeated methamphetamine use"!!! This means that it normalized your Dopamine system even if your amphetamine abuse is depleting it. Talk about neuroprotective!

NAC's action as a Dopamine modulator is likely the source of its effectiveness as a medication. It can increase dopamine in those that are 'down' or feel 'lack of energy' or 'no motivation' but it can also PREVENT too much dopamaine from being released in a toxic manner!

Talk about a SWEET neuro adaptogen!

So what implications does this have?

Lets take a look:

Quote:
OCD: Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
"At present, there is only 1 case report regarding the use of NAC in patients with OCD.38 This report showed notable benefits in an individual who was treatment-refractory.”

Quote:
Bi-Polar Disorder
"A double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled trial of NAC in 75 participants with bipolar disorder was conducted. This 6-month trial involved the addition of 2000 mg/d of NAC or placebo. Rating scores on the Montgomery–Åsberg Depression Rating Scale (MADRS) and the Bipolar Depression Rating Scale showed large decreases in depressive symptoms (about 9 points on the MADRS between NAC and placebo groups at the end point).”

Quote:
Schizophrenia
"A large-scale study investigating NAC as an adjunctive therapy for schizophrenia has been conducted,42 which employed a 1000 mg, bi-daily regimen (compared with placebo) in addition to existing medication over 6 months. In all, 140 participants took part in this double-blind, placebo-controlled, randomized trial. Improvements were seen in the negative symptoms, measured on the Positive and Negative Symptoms Scale. Furthermore, improvements in global function and improved abnormal movements, particularly akathisia, were also reported. These effect sizes were moderate, and improvements were lost 1 month after the discontinuation of treatment”

Quote:
Marijuana Addiction
"A recent study by Gray and colleagues31 investigated the use of NAC (2400 mg/d) in an open-label study of 24 dependent marijuana users who reported an interest in reducing their use. Following treatment, users reported reductions in days/week of use and “number of hits.”

Quote:
Nicotine Addiction
"In addition to the modulation of glutamate to reduce cravings and reward behaviours, NAC may have a role as an antioxidant in a disorder where oxidative stress is marked. There has been 1 placebo-controlled study (n = 29) investigating 2400 mg/day of NAC as a treatment for tobacco cessation.32 This study recorded participant ratings of use and cravings as well as biochemical measures to confirm reported use."

Quote:
Cocaine Addiction
"In a small crossover study (n = 13), designed to determine tolerability and safety, participants (currently abstaining from cocaine use) were given 2400 mg of NAC or placebo over 2 days. The NAC group had a significant reduction in cravings, withdrawals and self-reported use compared with baseline, which was not seen in the placebo group.

Quote:
Gambling Addiction
"In an open-label study involving 29 participants with a confirmed pathologic addiction to gambling, Grant and colleagues37 administered 1800 mg (titrated dose) of NAC over 8 weeks. A randomized trial of 13 responders was then conducted over the following 6 weeks (constant dose of 1800 mg/kg of NAC compared with placebo). During the open-label study, 16 participants experienced significant reductions in gambling behaviour.”

So, at last...

---IN CONCLUSION---

NAC can be purchased over the counter, even at most GNC's. GNC sells the 600mg pills, fairly weak, it is ideal to seek the 1,000mg pills due to the high recommended dosages.

NAC shows vast potential as a nootropic due to its effects on Glutamate, NMDA and Dopamine systems.

NAC shows potential for helping in burnout feelings, ADD, mild depression, strong depression, bi-polar, OCD and schizophrenia.

NAC shows MUCH promise in treating addictions to Amphetamines, Marijuana, Nicotine, Cocaine and Gambling.

NAC can modulate glutamate, increasing it in the Extra-Cellular Space while decreasing it in the synapse. "Glutamate receptors are important for neural communication, memory formation, learning, and regulation" and too much or too little can cause problems in this area.

NAC made the NMDA receptor MORE SENSITIVE to glutamate thus allowing it to be more active. NMDA being "the predominant molecular device for controlling synaptic plasticity and memory function." With "synaptic plasticity [being] a cellular mechanism for learning and memory."

NAC facilitates the release of Dopamine. Indicating use for people with ADD, Motivation issues, 'lack of energy' issues and general 'slow thinking' issues. In fact, its NAC's action on Dopamine is probably the cause to a lot of its effects.

NAC modulates/prevents/slows down Dopamaine released from drugs like amphetamines. thus limiting the potential harm and unbalancing nature of amphetamines if NAC is taken WITH these drugs.

Final Dosage Recommendation:

The daily dose based on studies: 2000-3000mg (2-3g) per DAY

A colleague of mine talked to the scientists THEMSELVES, the ones who did the study....

They recommend taking UP TO 6000-8000mg a day, without side effects.

NAC can lead to nausea so see how you react first.

ACTUAL DOSAGE RECOMMENDATION FROM PROFESSIONALS:

--2000mg-6000mg PER DAY--

Work your way up, make notice of any side effects/nausea.

Peace yall.

Love
-Eternally Romping the Astral Savannahlands-

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

bodhi
#2 Posted : 9/22/2012 5:40:42 AM

it's just a dream

Great write up CosmicLion Thumbs up

I helped a close friend recover from crystal meth addiction using NAC; 3 grams a day.

It works!

peace

corpus callosum
#3 Posted : 9/22/2012 8:39:53 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Medical DoctorModerator

I think NAC is showing great promise in a range of ailments particularly as oxidative stress is becoming more recognised as an important mechanism adding to dysfunction at the neuronal level.Some of the studies cited by the OP have small numbers of subjects, some are open-label and others do rely heavily on self-reporting of benefits which makes their 'power' somewhat less.But more research is definitely in order.

Good thread!
I am paranoid of my brain. It thinks all the time, even when I'm asleep. My thoughts assail me. Murderous lechers they are. Thought is the assassin of thought. Like a man stabbing himself with one hand while the other hand tries to stop the blade. Like an explosion that destroys the detonator. I am paranoid of my brain. It makes me unsettled and ill at ease. Makes me chase my tail, freezes my eyes and shuts me down. Watches me. Eats my head. It destroys me.

CosmicLion
#4 Posted : 9/24/2012 12:00:51 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Don't wanna miss this one Very happy

MelCat
#5 Posted : 9/24/2012 12:06:57 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Good stuff, thanks for sharing.

Are there any ill effects by mixing with harmalas?

Should harmalas be avoided for any length of time before or after taking this?

Definitely some interesting stuff.
Convert a melodic element into a rhythmic element...

CosmicLion
#6 Posted : 9/24/2012 12:13:39 AM

DMT-Nexus member

It's essentially an amino acid...

When mixing with Harmala I would start low with in terms of dosage and don't expect an interaction. Then try slowly experimenting upward from there.

And in terms of Harmala using harmine is much preferred to using harmaline in terms of toxicity and side effects.

There has been a substantial amount of research done and being done on Harmine specifically, it has a radical medicinal profile not shared with Harmaline.

D.REYx420
#7 Posted : 9/24/2012 1:11:11 AM

DMT-Nexus member

im starting to take a gram of l tryptophan 3 days ago. would it be alright to start taking 3 grams of this a day aswell or is that over dueing things.
"we are not human being's having spiritual experiences, we are spiritual being's having human experience's." (Teilhard de Chardin (1975?)

CosmicLion
#8 Posted : 9/24/2012 2:51:38 AM

DMT-Nexus member

D.REYx420 wrote:
im starting to take a gram of l tryptophan 3 days ago. would it be alright to start taking 3 grams of this a day aswell or is that over dueing things.

Tryptophan has it's effect on your serotonin (5-HT) system... perhaps stimulating serotonin production by making the necessary pre-cursor (tryptophan) easily available.

Serotonin and Dopamine are both monoamines.

It is shown with good evidence that depression occurs when monoamine levels are lowered in the brain. Here is one interesting study:

http://archpsyc.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=668227

That article talks how an increased Monoamine Oxidase (the compound that oxidises and destroys your active monoamines) causes you to have LESS monoamines floating around as they are being oxidised too quickly.

With less monoamines like serotonin and dopamine around you feel lethargic and depressed.

So in response to your question....

NAC operates primarily by increasing the action of the Dopamine and Glutamate systems. Tryptophan operates primarily by increasing the action of the Serotonin system.

Both the serotonin and the dopeamine system are deficient in depressed people.

Taking both NAC and Tryptophan together would be the a great step in the right direction towards achieving an integrated therapeutic benefit.

D.REYx420
#9 Posted : 9/24/2012 5:37:12 AM

DMT-Nexus member

thank you very much for your helpful response. that ids basically what i thought my problem was with no motivation towards life and on and off depression. ill have to look into how expensive and available it is for me and maybe i will start taking this aswell and help me make it through this rough transition stage in my life and make it so i can be off these and onto purely my self motivated substance of life lol
"we are not human being's having spiritual experiences, we are spiritual being's having human experience's." (Teilhard de Chardin (1975?)

CosmicLion
#10 Posted : 9/24/2012 5:42:09 AM

DMT-Nexus member

D.REYx420 wrote:
ill have to look into how expensive and available it is for me and maybe i will start taking this aswell

The all natural 1,000mg NAC gelcaps are on Amazon for a GREAT price...

http://www.amazon.com/So...&keywords=NAC+1000mg

A good deal on all natural 1,000mg L-Tryptophan gelcaps...

http://www.amazon.com/No...ywords=tryptophan+1000mg

And here is more all natural super affordable Acetyl L-Carnatine, definitely worth looking into for yourself.

http://www.amazon.com/Go...&keywords=ALC+1000mg

Big grin

D.REYx420
#11 Posted : 9/24/2012 6:07:26 AM

DMT-Nexus member

thank you very much sir. will get some nac here wihtin this week Very happy

CosmicLion
#12 Posted : 9/24/2012 6:21:47 AM

DMT-Nexus member

corpus callosum wrote:
Some of the studies cited by the OP have small numbers of subjects, some are open-label and others do rely heavily on self-reporting of benefits which makes their 'power' somewhat less.But more research is definitely in order

I agree completely. The studies prove that something works to some degree... but in a lot of ways, beyond that, no one can ever know for sure.

All individual body chemistry is different. Thumbs up

In medicine they have what they call "The N of 1 Trial" where if you are going to research a compound in a group size of N people then the N of 1 Trial is when the test is done only on one person.

Quote:
"An N of 1 trial is a clinical trial in which a single patient is the entire trial, a single case study. A trial in which random allocation can be used to determine the order in which an experimental and a control intervention are given to a patient is an N of 1 randomized controlled trial. The order of experimental and control interventions can also be fixed by the researcher."

So what you could do is get 16 non-see-through weekly pill boxes. Find a non-psychoactive vitamin or supplement that looks identical to your NAC gelcaps. In the first 8 weekly pill boxes put all your individual days of NAC. In the second 8 weekly pill boxes put the same # of pills but of the inactive vitamin/supplement.

Put the 8 NAC boxes in a bag and put the 8 inactive boxes in a bag.

Have a friend choose which bag to give you first without you seeing then have them take out all the pill boxes and put them on the table before you come back in. Have them create 2 piles of pill boxes. Pile A has 8 weeks of Unknown A and Pile B as 8 weeks worth of Unknown B. Make sure your friend knows which pile is which and logs it in a secret journal.

--Choose one, take it for 8 weeks, pre-fill your mouth with water, close your eyes as you open the containers + pop the gelcaps so you don't ruin the blind nature of the test.

--Take notes each day of the effects & side effects. Make note of any health changes. Make note of emotions, motivation & behavior. Make note of drug or cannabis or alcohol or caffeine use. Make notes of things that bother you. Make brief notes on the quality of the day. If your savvy, you can create a scale of 1-5 for these things and log them in Excel so you can make pretty graphs for yourself and any interested parties. Brief daily commentary would still be appropriate even if using Excel for most of it.

--After 8 weeks is up do it again with the other pile and compare notes.

--Repeat this process multiple times to compound efficacy Razz

An Experiment of One... Its truly the only way to really know.

Cool Big grin Cool

DJ_Truthseek
#13 Posted : 10/8/2012 9:57:34 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks for sharing the research. I've been taking NAC but nowhere near 2-6g. Maybe I should up it a bit.

I've had excellent result with 3 synergistic supplements. More energy, less sore muscles(I used to get sore legs all the time), less inflamation, thinking clearly. Green tea extract 500mgs (80% catachins), curcumin 750mg(bcm-95 7 times absorption), and Resveratrol 500mg. All three are anti-inflamitory, anti-cancer, Anti-depressant(MAOI), Anti- diabetic, good for acne, arthritis, immune boosting, Hormonal balancing, ect. The green tea sup has some piperine that boosts absorption of all three. Green tea, cucumin and resveratrol all get broken down by the same enzyme. That is why resveratrol and curcumin are usually broken down before they are absorbed. Piperine blocks this enzyme. These synergize so well together because they help the same conditions through different mechanisms. Also I'm way more sensitive to coffee, alcohol and other things due to there Mao inhibition.

I did lots of reading about this and had success with them so I thought I'd share. Thanks for sharing and thanks for reading. Peace. Cool
"Prying open my third eye."

"We are all one conciousness experiencing itself subjectively..."
Bill Hicks

SKA
#14 Posted : 10/10/2012 2:30:56 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Fascinating. If it isn't too expensive around here, I'll defenitely pick up a bottle
of NAC-pills if I ever run into them. What a wonder molecule.

NAC sounds like it may just be a very effective Oneirogen too.
Something tells me it ain't a bad idea either to add some NAC
to the substrate of Psilocybin Mushrooms.

Wikipedia didn't mention any natural sources of NAC, but are there?
If not, are there (relatively) simple methods to synth NAC from
widely available compounds found in natural sources?

Vodsel
#15 Posted : 10/10/2012 3:10:27 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Senior Member | Skills: Filmmaking and Storytelling, Video and Audio Technology, Teaching, Gardening, Languages (Proficient Spanish, Catalan and English, and some french, italian and russian), Seafood cuisine

SKA wrote:
are there (relatively) simple methods to synth NAC from
widely available compounds found in natural sources?

NAC is obtained through acetylation of cysteine, an aminoacid found in high protein foods. According to what I found, L-cysteine (hydrochloride, monohydrate) reacts with acetic anhydride producing NAC.

One question... I've seen several sources advising to take supplements of Vitamin C when taking high doses of NAC. Apparently, high NAC intake results in abundant oxidized L-cysteine which might be harmful. Is that so?

InMotion
#16 Posted : 2/17/2013 4:06:16 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Senior Member | Skills: 3D programming, Mathematician (if you need help with algebra to differential equations I'm available), SKilled Engineer

Bumping this thread because I am a diagnosed schizophrenic that has recently lowered their medications to 1/2 the dose it took to bring me out of a half a decade of psychosis. Will be assessing the efficacy of this substance Smile.

Mandukeya
#17 Posted : 4/13/2013 3:46:59 PM

Shamanic Engineer

Thought I add my subjective experience with these.

I have used NAC in 200mg doses many times to clear throat when having a cold.

I am ADD and went straight from reading the first post in this thread to ordered some 1g pills from a UK Amazon store (actually off Amazon since Amazon seemed to think it didn't ship to my country).

I have now eaten ~3g/day for a few weeks.

While it might very well be placebo, it seems I'm a bit more clear headed and get more stuff done (the procrastination element of ADD being what I'm not happy with). It has not reduced my inclination to partake in weed or made me quit Nicotine though.

Thanks OP for a very informative post!

AluminumFoilRobots
#18 Posted : 5/22/2013 5:25:29 AM

gufyg

huh, very interesting man... I've been taking this stuff for the past 6 months or so, as a prophylactic against APAP-induced liver damage from the relatively large amounts of hydrocodone/APAP I was taking due to my broken metal rod in the spine issue (now "resolved" with two more metal rods!), which led to me ingesting as much as 3.25 grams of the stuff on my worst days. I would take .6-1.2 grams of the stuff with every dose or every other dose if took less 1.75g APAP or smaller.
Actually I recently had that surgery and asked for this by name when my nurses were going to give me IV tylenol. At first I refused, just out of fear for my liver, but she almost insisted so I asked for this. She gave me the oral preparation, a few grams per dose, I don't remember, and man it tastes SO BAD. Like rotten egg farts smell. Seriously, if you're ever in that situation, ask for the IV formulation. But at that high dose, I defninately got nausea/dizziness from it. A weird, woozy nausea.

This is all very interesting, I'll have to take a more thorough look though the research tomorrow. Thanks for posting this man!
بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم

Fairly responsible Kratom user.

"whenever he drank ayahuasca, he had such beautiful visions that he used to put his hands over his eyes for fear somebody might steal them."
in between the grinding-brakes of a train crash while aluminum-foil robots make obnoxious sex noises on a static-filled walkie-talkie radio.

Spiralout
#19 Posted : 1/6/2018 8:03:43 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Bump

I am starting supplementation with NAC and wondering if anyone else has any experience or comments etc. pertaining to this substance...

I am using it mainly to hopefully alleviate lung problems that have been going on for about 3 years now; I have excess phlegm that I can't seem to hack out and it makes breathing very difficult. . I've been to a few doctors over the last couple years and finally saw a pulmonologist a couple months ago and they all say it is due to anxiety, and although this might be the crux of the problem, the inability to breathe is still there...

So anyways,the only problem I've been able to find with NAC is a possible link to pulmonary arterial hypertension... which would not be good. Also it looks like alot of the research is biased or not very useful.

Alright, hope eveyones doing well.

Doc Buxin
#20 Posted : 1/6/2018 8:47:17 PM

Pay No Mind

spractral wrote:
Bump

I am starting supplementation with NAC and wondering if anyone else has any experience or comments etc. pertaining to this substance...

I am using it mainly to hopefully alleviate lung problems that have been going on for about 3 years now; I have excess phlegm that I can't seem to hack out and it makes breathing very difficult. . I've been to a few doctors over the last couple years and finally saw a pulmonologist a couple months ago and they all say it is due to anxiety, and although this might be the crux of the problem, the inability to breathe is still there...

So anyways,the only problem I've been able to find with NAC is a possible link to pulmonary arterial hypertension... which would not be good. Also it looks like alot of the research is biased or not very useful.

Alright, hope eveyones doing well.

Hey spractral,

I have used NAC successfully for lung congestion many times in my life, it works.

That it is rather safe, non-toxic and reasonably priced are other benefits to keep in mind.

Just FYI: Typically when utilizing a singular amino acid (such as NAC) for a therapeutic effect, one should take it on a relatively empty stomach before or between meals (usually 1/2 hour before or 2 hours after is fine) so that it does not have to compete for absorption in the gut with any of the naturally occurring amino acids that may be in your food.

Best of luck to you!

Freedom's so hard
When we are all bound by laws
Etched in the scheme of nature's own hand
Unseen by all those who fail
In their pursuit of fate

12NEXT