We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
«PREV23456NEXT»
Acacia photo gallery Options

acacian
#61 Posted : 10/21/2012 12:07:16 AM

DMT-Nexus member

i must say i'm quite interested in this vine that was wrapping around the acacia obliquinerva and phebophylla further down the mountain.. i was not aware of any vines growing on mt buffalo and i can not find any info about it on the web. definitely going to have to test it out. it wouldn't surprise me if there was a beta carboline containing species on the mountain.. theres such a vast range of flora and it seems likely to me that phleb could have an maoi containing counterpart somewhere on the mountain

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

phyllode
#62 Posted : 11/11/2012 2:24:13 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Thank you for this amazing diary of photo experiences Acacian! Smile

Really captures the 'Call of the wild' and the lovely trees.

Nen (who's trying to not go near a computer for a week Smile) said via PM to say:
Quote:
Acacian, your photos are now part of google-images repository, and amongst the best. Believe me, i'm an experienced image-hacker/searcher now. You're in binary history for eons to come. Congratulations. Maybe you could add a signature to a few. So the world can thank your name.Smile

Do you have any of your baby phlebophyllas? At least I seem to recall you once writing you were growing some.
And have you been up to gippsland? Now that would be scenic.

zombicyckel
#63 Posted : 11/11/2012 2:52:02 AM

Armchair activist

Damn, I wouldnt even wanna be 10 meters close to that ramp!!!

acacian
#64 Posted : 11/11/2012 3:12:24 AM

DMT-Nexus member

phyllode wrote:
Thank you for this amazing diary of photo experiences Acacian! Smile

Really captures the 'Call of the wild' and the lovely trees.

Nen (who's trying to not go near a computer for a week Smile) said via PM to say:
Quote:
Acacian, your photos are now part of google-images repository, and amongst the best. Believe me, i'm an experienced image-hacker/searcher now. You're in binary history for eons to come. Congratulations. Maybe you could add a signature to a few. So the world can thank your name.Smile

Do you have any of your baby phlebophyllas? At least I seem to recall you once writing you were growing some.
And have you been up to gippsland? Now that would be scenic.

Thankyou for compliments phyllode and nen! Smile yeah i noticed some of my images in google.... makes you realise how open acacia research is.. I'm surprised how very few photos there are for a lot of these species. The different mucronata forms really need more photos.. theres hardly any photos of the subs longifolia on the web. By the way nen and phyllode... can you confirm that suspected mucronata subs longifolia and its possible variants on the bottom of page 1?

Nope I haven't started growing my phlebophyllas yet.. just got a bunch of seeds I collected from mt buffalo. reason being that I am planning on moving back up to NSW and if i get seedlings going now I won't know what to do with them and will probably have to leave them down here. not sure what I will do with my floribunda when i move. maybe il plant them in the wild

yeah zombie... i was too scared to go anywhere near the edge

nen888
#65 Posted : 11/12/2012 12:09:57 AM
member for the trees

Acacia expert | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, CounsellingExtraordinary knowledge | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, CounsellingSenior Member | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, Counselling

acacian wrote:
Quote:
By the way nen and phyllode... can you confirm that suspected mucronata subs longifolia and its possible variants on the bottom of page 1?

..hmm..the flowers are very bright yellow and, in the bottom photo especially, kind of short and fat..at least compared to the form which was tested..it had cream flowers, not quite as large a diameter as those, and slightly shorter, though still very narrow, phyllodes..i don't claim to understand the parameters of mucronata botanically fully, and i've yet to meet any botanists who claim to either..Smile ..'ll have to keep researching..

thanks again for the pics, as phyllode passed on..
now, hang-gliding!..that'd be ineteresting for the brave acacia head..Laughing

acacian
#66 Posted : 11/13/2012 9:13:30 AM

DMT-Nexus member

yeah from what I've gathered, mucronata is a really variable in form... I guess it earns the name "variable sallow wattle". Whatever those species are that I posted, they vary hugely even within a 200m or so radius of each other. Interesting little tree.. I've been looking at photos on the net.. a lot of the photos of the mucronata subs. longifolia seem to have similarly slightly yellower flowers. Do you have any suggestions of what else it could be? It definitely has very erect and 'mucronate' phyllodes, though there are just that many lookalikes of so many species its hard to pinpoint.

Someday I may be interested to try hang gliding.. though for now, I deem myself a chicken little acacia-head, and it might take quite a few more fear-facing journeys with acacia to build up such courage Laughing

xantho
#67 Posted : 11/16/2012 8:26:10 PM

DMT-Nexus member

How about some front-yard fellows from a walk around my neighbourhood? I'm still learning to identify African acacias and I've noticed that some trees have started to flower or produce seed so I'll be able to improve accuracy soon.

The first three are of the same tree and I am not sure what it is. It could be A.karroo but I thought the bark might be a more uniform dark brown. I'll consult my book later and give you a more informed ID attempt (I'm too tired to stand up Embarrased Laughing ).

I believe photo four is a young A.karroo.

Photos five and six are what I believe to be an A.caffra (I posted photos in the Acacia identification thread last weekish). And...she's starting to flower! Wow, that's a whole new experience close up - so beautiful Shocked Thanks for all the great posts everyone!
xantho attached the following image(s):
P1000627edit.JPG (1,457kb) downloaded 277 time(s).
P1000629edit.JPG (1,996kb) downloaded 275 time(s).
P1000631edit.JPG (2,603kb) downloaded 275 time(s).
P1000633edit.JPG (1,889kb) downloaded 273 time(s).
P1000636edit.JPG (2,199kb) downloaded 273 time(s).
P1000639edit.JPG (1,995kb) downloaded 268 time(s).

"Becoming a person of the plants is not a learning process, it is a remembering process. Somewhere in our ancestral line, there was someone that lived deeply connected to the Earth, the Elements, the Sun, Moon and Stars. That ancestor lives inside our DNA, dormant, unexpressed, waiting to be remembered and brought back to life to show us the true nature of our indigenous soul" - Sajah Popham.

nen888
#68 Posted : 11/16/2012 9:56:23 PM
member for the trees

Acacia expert | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, CounsellingExtraordinary knowledge | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, CounsellingSenior Member | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, Counselling

..hey thanks xantho..great to see this thread going to various lands..Smile

hard without flowers or pods, but the 3rd pic looks like A. karoo..

only time for a quick glance, but the last pic, from flowers, appears to be either A. albida or A. senegal..both great trees to check out!

acacian
#69 Posted : 11/17/2012 12:41:55 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks for the contribution xantho Smile .. stunning trees. such vibrant greens. Looks like you live in a beautiful area..I really need to start learning more about african acacia, as I'm not very familiar with them

keep em coming mate

hehe... synchronicities on your post nen.. last time i looked you were up to your 2012th post... 2020 now Razz

xantho
#70 Posted : 11/20/2012 7:42:13 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks nen and acacian! I really am lucky to live in such a beautiful place and my appreciation for it improves steadily as I learn more about the local flora and fauna. Here are a couple more urban acacia photos I snapped yesterday, both from a stand of A.karroo (AFAIK) approximately 10 minutes from my house.
xantho attached the following image(s):
P1000691.JPG (1,746kb) downloaded 242 time(s).
P1000694edit.JPG (1,104kb) downloaded 239 time(s).

"Becoming a person of the plants is not a learning process, it is a remembering process. Somewhere in our ancestral line, there was someone that lived deeply connected to the Earth, the Elements, the Sun, Moon and Stars. That ancestor lives inside our DNA, dormant, unexpressed, waiting to be remembered and brought back to life to show us the true nature of our indigenous soul" - Sajah Popham.

acacian
#71 Posted : 11/20/2012 8:57:37 AM

DMT-Nexus member

xantho.. acacia karoo is beautiful! such lush lime green colour to it....from those photos looks like there's a few about. any info on possible alkaloids of this species? .... nen? where are you? Smile

look forward to seeing more xantho, fellow acacian!

xantho
#72 Posted : 11/20/2012 9:56:24 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I agree acacian, they are incredibly beautiful and lush trees! Smile Below is the info on A.karroo posted by nen on Page 20 of the Acacia Info thread. I should be starting some seeds in the next few days so I'll keep you all in the loop.

Quote:
..a South African acacia on the p.3 African List is Acacia karroo (Sweet Thorn)
Native to large parts of southern Africa (South Africa, Lesotho, Swaziland, Botswana, Namibia, Angola, Malawi, Mozambique, Zambia and Zimbabwe)..very common in its native range and is probably southern Africa's most common tree.
..it has become naturalised in Australia, northern Africa (i.e. Libya and Morocco), southern Europe (i.e. Spain, Portugal, Corsica and Sicily), South America (i.e. Bolivia and Chile), Iraq and Mauritius..
..A. karroo has many documented traditional medicinal uses including treating heart disorder, dizziness & dysentery..
it is said by Niazi in the Pharmaceutical Excipients blog to contain tryptamines..

it is often confused with the very similar Acacia horrida (Cape Gum, 'Dev-Babul'Pleased , which is native to Ethiopia, Somalia, Sudan, Kenya & Uganda..naturalized in India..it seems that the South African Acacia horrida var. transvaalensis (Burtt Davy) is synonymous with A. karroo..
A. horrida differs from A. karroo in pod shape and slightly greater number of flowers per inflorescence, and often larger number of pinnae pairs..it is also claimed without reference to be psychoactive and contain tryptamines..

as they are both very common species they are suited to phytochemical research over a wide geographical range..
other african species like A. senegal, A. nubica, A. tortillis (also middle-east) & A. albida (north africa & middle-east) have more solid/confirmed reports of containing DMT..

acacian
#73 Posted : 11/21/2012 2:55:05 AM

DMT-Nexus member

come on people lets see some mimosa photos!

nen888
#74 Posted : 11/21/2012 5:13:46 AM
member for the trees

^..Thumbs up .., hey thank you for that xantho..! i always love your post formatting skills..Smile

and after reading that entry on A. karroo p.20 info. thread, i have updated and corrected a few images to make it easier to tell it and A. horrida apart..worth re-absorbing..

while we wait for more photon>electron beauty of nature info., here's a classic portrait of Acacia horrida by Homer Leroy Shantz, who wrote in his travel journal:
Quote:
Acacia horrida, a very small bush not over 2 ft. high. Not even attractive to goats. But it should have a place as a hedge plant or ornamental in portions of the states. The white spines are as showy as flowers. Especially when the tree is leafless. [Shantz travel journal, Sep. 17, 1919]

it was taken Prieska, Northern Cape 17 Sept. 1919...
nen888 attached the following image(s):
azu_shantz_19190917_36291_m.jpg (151kb) downloaded 224 time(s).

nen888
#75 Posted : 11/21/2012 5:36:07 AM
member for the trees

..and here's one from one of the nicest acacia photo galleries i've seen: http://www.flickriver.com/groups/1102885@N25/pool/interesting/..still working on an ID..Smile it's african..
nen888 attached the following image(s):
acacian joy.png (634kb) downloaded 216 time(s).

xantho
#76 Posted : 11/21/2012 7:46:31 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks nen, I'm just trying to learn a thing or two from the master of dynamic fontage and formatting Razz

Both of those images are fantastic! The thorns on A. horrida evoke mixed feelings of intimidation and awe in me; such a beautiful tree! Perhaps I can get up to the Northern Cape in the next year and see some for myself Smile I really love the historical depth you're able to weave into your posts nen. Kudos!

acacian wrote:
come on people lets see some mimosa photos!

^ Seconded! Drool

acacian
#77 Posted : 11/22/2012 8:26:24 AM

DMT-Nexus member

went to the yarra ranges today and spent some time admiring the young Acacia Mearnsii (or possibly acacia dealbata - silver wattle.. there were only young plants in the immediate area and the two look extremely similar during early growth, though it was nearby some mature black wattles) and Acacia Melanoxyn which were the two dominant acacia in the area. These are two of the most common trees in victoria... Acacia mearnsii seems to be a worthy candidate for alkaloids..as far as i know there has only been one net report of a 1% yield (it was never analysed but they seemed confident it was pretty pure dmt profile), though talking to several people it seems apparent that others have used this tree for the same... there is next to no reference though and there have also been negative reports.. including on the same tree for example that was originally found to be highly active. seems seasonal. the younger trees which have greenish trunks don't seem to flower

also I thought I'd chuck in a few of some young and also some very ancient melanoxyns.. the particular genetic variant that grows in the yarra seems to have shorter phyllodes than a lot of other melanoxyn. I'm a bit annoyed because at the time in the bright sun I thought I was taking good clear photos.. turns out a lot are blurry. so my apologies

acacian
#78 Posted : 11/22/2012 8:32:50 AM

DMT-Nexus member

.. below an old and majestic Acacia Melanoxyn from yarra ranges as well as a younger specimen below

nen888
#79 Posted : 11/23/2012 1:24:56 AM
member for the trees

^..niceSmile..is that still an i-phone..?
and xatho..you're too kind!Smile

acacian
#80 Posted : 11/23/2012 12:33:14 PM

DMT-Nexus member

still an iphone... i think i need to invest in a quality camera. any suggestions?

«PREV23456NEXT»