We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Resveratrol extraction from Senna Options

Ambivalent
#1 Posted : 8/21/2012 2:42:53 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I think some of you are familiar with this substance, a selective - mao a inhibitor found in red grapes and other plants.
a friend of mine was testing tinctures from Senna leaf sold as tea for medicinal purposes. after repeated tests he stated there was obvious inhibition and prolonged experience of spice..but he also was sure that the tincture added another depth to the experience. he said, " it is very weird...my hands were fat and fuzzy, my fingers were like tubes..." also objects were slightly distorted, he said. so i thought it is worth to take a closer look at Resveratrol.

now, i have been researching a little more on the net and it seems that it is rather easy to extract it and purify it with a/b. its just that this molecule is extracted in alkaline solution and then precipitated in acidic conditions. i have the project going in this very moment, and it seems that it works quite well. here's a simple explanation i found on this link :
http://www.articlesbase....-anti-aging-5505974.html

Quote:
) Alkali dissolving and acid Precipitation Extraction :Because of Resveratrol containing less hydroxyl, its solubility in water is relatively low, under certain conditions, it can increase its solubility in the system by produceing the chemical reaction with some inorganic alkali and alkaline salt . By adjusting system pH, Resveratrol will precipitate out again,so Resveratrol can be extracted enrich by Alkali dissolving and acid precipitation . Compared to organic solvent extraction, it has features of easy process , safe and convenient operation, low cost, strong selection.

1. i used 100 % senna leaf from laxative tea

2.Etoh + water + NaOH to extract

3. dillute HCL to precipitate

i will clean the precipitates and try to re crystalize, also check melting point maybe ?

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

Ambivalent
#2 Posted : 8/21/2012 4:28:47 AM

DMT-Nexus member

in the meantime, an abstract from a study on the inhibitory effects of resveratrol and trans-cis resveratrol.

http://www.biopsychiatry.../resveratrol-analogs.htm

Auxin
#3 Posted : 8/21/2012 5:56:43 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Interesting research path.
If it proves useful many members could use grape leaves as a source. The leaves are 9% resveratrol on the dry weight basis and theyre edible, particularly when young, so it could be as simple as chewing a leaf and swallowing the juice.

Ambivalent
#4 Posted : 8/21/2012 12:09:56 PM

DMT-Nexus member

well, its very easily available, its cheap and it has great yield according to percentages.i dont see why not.if nothing else for the sake of experimentation.

nen888
#5 Posted : 8/21/2012 1:04:48 PM
member for the trees

Acacia expert | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, CounsellingExtraordinary knowledge | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, CounsellingSenior Member | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, Counselling

..very interesting, thanks Ambivalent..i'm wondering if you or anyone here's tried the stuff?
i can't seem to find much info about its MAO aspect..lots of ant-aging claims..sounds like it's just starting to get properly researched..i note its in cocoa too..

ps. the MAO activity in the abstract you linked looks fairly good, approaching harmine, though not as potent..(they're not using standard IC-50 figures, so bit hard to estimate)
a polyphenol, eh? interesting..

Hyperspace Fool
#6 Posted : 8/21/2012 2:13:41 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Nice work Ambivalent!

Resveratrol is very easy to come by. And awfully cheap when got from the Japanese Knotweed (also known as polygonum cuspidatum).

I find it hard to imagine the leaves of wine vines have 9%. Even the skin of the grape doesn't have that much, and there are differences between trans-resveratrol and other forms. I have also read that buccal or sublingual absorption is superior, and that having your resveratrol not exposed to air is key. Obviously, as an antioxidant, it will do its free-radical thing on the air it comes in contact with, so perhaps if you can access fresh leaves...

Not all of us will be lucky enough to have the ability to extract in an oxygen free environment. There are some pricey supplements that claim to produced in a nitrogen environment though.

I would love to hear from someone knowledgeable about resveratrol on all these subjects. It has been something I found useful over the years, but the occasional story about increasing breast cancers or contributing to liver problems are worrisome as the amounts needed for serious anti-aging (let alone MAO inhibition) are pretty high.

Any experts out there in the Nexus?
"Curiouser and curiouser..." ~ Alice

"Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders. Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations. But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it." ~ Buddha

Ambivalent
#7 Posted : 8/21/2012 3:24:01 PM

DMT-Nexus member

nen888 wrote:
..very interesting, thanks Ambivalent..i'm wondering if you or anyone here's tried the stuff?

actually, my friend tried tincture from Senna infused on mullein leaf + spice.. he did this few times and he explained that along with the inhibition he felt, he also observed OEV distorsions which were different than the OEV from spice alone. i will be doing some testing myself, as soon as i determine that my extract is what i think it is.

Hyperspace Fool wrote:
I find it hard to imagine the leaves of wine vines have 9%. Even the skin of the grape doesn't have that much, and there are differences between trans-resveratrol and other forms.

in the abstract i posted it says that the even the isomers (i think thats how they are called) trans-resveratrol, cis-resveratrol have inhibitory effect on the enzymatic activity in the brain.

Hyperspace Fool wrote:
Obviously, as an antioxidant, it will do its free-radical thing on the air it comes in contact with, so perhaps if you can access fresh leaves..

This is interesting, i havent stumbled on this info anywhere yet. Also im wondering why it is not pointed out on the extraction process i found.It is very simple extraction process.I have seen Resveratrol being sold on the net in bulk in normal bags and vials.Anyway, i am in the middle of the experiment. There was definite precipitation when i introduced HCL solution to the alkaline extract. I am thinking of a way to clean it up a bit.

Hyperspace Fool wrote:
I would love to hear from someone knowledgeable about resveratrol on all these subjects. It has been something I found useful over the years, but the occasional story about increasing breast cancers or contributing to liver problems are worrisome as the amounts needed for serious anti-aging (let alone MAO inhibition) are pretty high.

I agree, it would be nice for some input from the more qualified on these things.

ps. i found this info on wikipedia about stability of Resveratrol, and it seems that it is rather stable.

Quote:
Trans-resveratrol in the powder form was found to be stable under "accelerated stability" conditions of 75% humidity and 40 °C in the presence of air.[162] Resveratrol content also was stable in the skins of grapes and pomace taken after fermentation and stored for a long period.
http://en.wikipedia.org/..._and_physical_properties

corpus callosum
#8 Posted : 8/21/2012 6:56:18 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Medical DoctorModerator

Hyperspace Fool wrote:

Resveratrol has estrogenic properties which are thought to allow it to agonise the estrogen receptors (and also androgenic receptors too); this leads to activation of genes which can cause proliferation of cancer cells IF they are estrogen-receptor positive and estrogen-dependant.

I am paranoid of my brain. It thinks all the time, even when I'm asleep. My thoughts assail me. Murderous lechers they are. Thought is the assassin of thought. Like a man stabbing himself with one hand while the other hand tries to stop the blade. Like an explosion that destroys the detonator. I am paranoid of my brain. It makes me unsettled and ill at ease. Makes me chase my tail, freezes my eyes and shuts me down. Watches me. Eats my head. It destroys me.

Auxin
#9 Posted : 8/21/2012 8:51:45 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Hyperspace Fool wrote:
...I find it hard to imagine the leaves of wine vines have 9%. Even the skin of the grape doesn't have that much...

I dont, duke et al. may drop the ball sometimes but this ones believable. Its the dominant defensive chemical produced by grape leaves in response to environmental stressors- it kills fungus and bacteria (yeast lives on the outside of grape leaves, resveratrol keeps them on the outside, chemically it resembles the old lysol- lol) and is the major aqueous phase antioxidant reservoir for UV exposure.* Content in leaves has been found to be proportional to UV and fungus exposure (so the baby leaves growing in the shade are not best, except in cooking).
All the hype about resveratrol in red wine is just booze industry marketing propaganda, for a good dietary source people should be eating pickled grape leaves like they do in the mediterranean regions.

As for oxygen sensitivity- it will react (especially in a basic environment) but it wont react so fast that you need to work under nitrogen or argon Laughing The phenols are not in that delicate of an arrangement and theres some resonance stabilization of the critter, if it was that delicate then wine would loose its resveratrol when racked between the first and second fermentations. Just dont leave it in ammonia or hydroxide for a week, try to get it into and then out of the aqueous phase in 2 days.

* The dominant lipophillic antioxidants in grape leaves are carotenes and lutein, just 10 grams of fresh leaf provides half a days supply of pro-vitamin A! [1] Healthy stuff.

Hyperspace Fool
#10 Posted : 8/22/2012 11:35:11 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Auxin wrote:
Hyperspace Fool wrote:
...I find it hard to imagine the leaves of wine vines have 9%. Even the skin of the grape doesn't have that much...

I dont, duke et al. may drop the ball sometimes but this ones believable. Its the dominant defensive chemical produced by grape leaves in response to environmental stressors- it kills fungus and bacteria (yeast lives on the outside of grape leaves, resveratrol keeps them on the outside, chemically it resembles the old lysol- lol) and is the major aqueous phase antioxidant reservoir for UV exposure.* Content in leaves has been found to be proportional to UV and fungus exposure (so the baby leaves growing in the shade are not best, except in cooking).
All the hype about resveratrol in red wine is just booze industry marketing propaganda, for a good dietary source people should be eating pickled grape leaves like they do in the mediterranean regions.

As for oxygen sensitivity- it will react (especially in a basic environment) but it wont react so fast that you need to work under nitrogen or argon Laughing The phenols are not in that delicate of an arrangement and theres some resonance stabilization of the critter, if it was that delicate then wine would loose its resveratrol when racked between the first and second fermentations. Just dont leave it in ammonia or hydroxide for a week, try to get it into and then out of the aqueous phase in 2 days.

* The dominant lipophillic antioxidants in grape leaves are carotenes and lutein, just 10 grams of fresh leaf provides half a days supply of pro-vitamin A! [1] Healthy stuff.

Thanks for that Auxin. Quite informative. Also thanks Corpus for the clarification of the breast cancer issue.

The huge number of very positive studies on Resveratrol alone make it something worth becoming familiar with. This MAO inhibition angle is another ball of wax. Anybody know the exact amounts needed for these interesting RIMA effects?

As for the oxidation issue, I recognize that trans-resveratrol and other forms of the molecule will be pretty stable, but it is probably the other anti-oxidants found in most resveratrol containing extracts that will go to waste. What are people's feelings about the amount of oxidation in your typical gel cap?

The supplement I use lately contains 600mg of Polygonum Cuspidatum yeilding 300mg trans-resveratrol per gel cap. (it also has a small 15mg amount of Red Wine Extract said to contain 30% polyphenols) Anyway, I buy it in bulk, and it tends to sit around for months and months before I can consume the supply.
"Curiouser and curiouser..." ~ Alice

"Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders. Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations. But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it." ~ Buddha