We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
123NEXT
Crab Grass (Digitaria spp) Options

oilman
#1 Posted : 8/16/2012 1:54:53 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Does anyone have analysis info on Digitaria? I've read some reports that digitaria sanguinalis (aka large crab grass) has some desirable compounds - mostly 5-meo. But I haven't seen any actual analysis. I looked up some info on crab grass in terms of toxicity, and it has no known toxicity. It is fed to cattle all over, and has been described as a "medium" source of protein. Anyone interested or have info, love to hear from you.

This stuff grows everywhere, especially this time of year, and is much safer from a toxicity standpoint than phalaris, so it seems like an important thing to check out.

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

AlbertKLloyd
#2 Posted : 8/23/2012 3:46:24 AM

DMT-Nexus member

No analysis that I know of, it does yield an active oil, though it does not yield large amounts.

dondonaldson
#3 Posted : 10/27/2012 5:55:54 PM

DMT-Nexus member

do you mean finger-grass?
Crabgrasses have uses despite being classified by many as weeds. The seeds, most notably those of fonio, can be toasted and ground into a flour, which can be used to make porridge or fermented to make beer. Fonio has been widely used as a staple crop in parts of Africa. It also has decent nutrient qualities as a forage for cattle.Very happy Thumbs up
creative people

wira
#4 Posted : 11/12/2012 1:13:04 PM

DMT-Nexus member

J. Appleseed tentatively detected 5-MeO-DMT with TLC; pretty sure this is reported in one of Trout's tryptamine books. I have heard second-hand that at least one person claimed to have been getting good yields of that alkaloid from this grass.

endlessness
#5 Posted : 11/12/2012 1:26:05 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Keeper Trout
#6 Posted : 1/24/2013 4:51:05 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Keeper Trout | Skills: Jack of many trades, master of several:  chemistry, microbiology, optical work, stone cutting, metal working, botany.Cacti expert | Skills: Jack of many trades, master of several:  chemistry, microbiology, optical work, stone cutting, metal working, botany.Senior Member | Skills: Jack of many trades, master of several:  chemistry, microbiology, optical work, stone cutting, metal working, botany.

The banding looked really good in tlc (ID was based on coTLC with Aldrich 5MeO and it showing a blue color with xanthydrol spray) but we never developed it further due to having too many other things ongoing at the time. It was analyzed on a lark only because it was trying to take over my cactus collection.
Last year someone told me they did an extraction and smoked the residue for perceptible results. I am betting its the same person as Wira refers to.

One weird thing I've noticed is that the more common a plant is the less interest there seems to be in analyzing it. People seem to like studying the exotic and foreign better than what is in their own yard.

wira
#7 Posted : 1/24/2013 2:55:17 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Hi Keeper,
it was you who told me about this person, so yes, it's the same one.

The Traveler
#8 Posted : 1/24/2013 4:03:51 PM

"No, seriously"

Administrator | Skills: DMT, LSD, Programming

Keeper Trout wrote:
One weird thing I've noticed is that the more common a plant is the less interest there seems to be in analyzing it. People seem to like studying the exotic and foreign better than what is in their own yard.

For our purposes it would be best to have a plant that grows abundently and is easy to keep.

Of course exotic often sounds more sexy but in the end that plant in your own yard that grows like crazy will be magic if it would contain DMT for example.

So I guess we like 'dull' plants here.

Kind regards,

The Traveler

Keeper Trout
#9 Posted : 1/24/2013 5:20:11 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Keeper Trout | Skills: Jack of many trades, master of several:  chemistry, microbiology, optical work, stone cutting, metal working, botany.Cacti expert | Skills: Jack of many trades, master of several:  chemistry, microbiology, optical work, stone cutting, metal working, botany.Senior Member | Skills: Jack of many trades, master of several:  chemistry, microbiology, optical work, stone cutting, metal working, botany.

In all truth there are few things more important to be testing than common weedy plants.
Cultivation rocks but finding plants that are abundant and do not require cultivation is a nice plus.

AlbertKLloyd
#10 Posted : 1/26/2013 4:12:53 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I had a post about this, but deleted it because I didn't want to be the first to report effects from Digitaria...

Keeper Trout
#11 Posted : 1/26/2013 11:43:48 PM
DMT-Nexus member

You do appear to have been the first.
Perhaps maybe even the only person to try it?

Parshvik Chintan
#12 Posted : 1/26/2013 11:50:41 PM

DMT-Nexus member

~Crabgrass = The Way Of The Future~ ..?
My wind instrument is the bong
CHANGA IN THE BONGA!
樹

AlbertKLloyd
#13 Posted : 1/27/2013 2:18:54 AM

DMT-Nexus member

My initial experiments with it sorely need confirmation by someone else...

I will see if I have time to work with it again later.

Keeper Trout
#14 Posted : 1/27/2013 6:04:18 AM
DMT-Nexus member

I suspect that you are one of a very few people to have believed it. Thanks for that.
It would be nice to see an actual isolation and analysis done.

AlbertKLloyd
#15 Posted : 1/27/2013 3:45:47 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Well my friend, I neither actually believe it nor disbelieved it.
My experiment was just an attempt to confirm it personally, no more, no less.
I am embarrassed to be the first or only one to try it so far.

Let me qualify that, crab grass is everywhere... People that are the first to report or try something often get a bit of a spotlight, so to speak. I believe that Digitaria spp have a lot of potential as active tryptamine producers. I have concerns about being high profile and don't want a trail of data that leads to me. If I was the second or third person to try it, then it would be better for me.

If I hadn't deleted my digitaria post where I gave an account of my methods and results then I worry that I would have been accused of writing a tek, something which I do not want to be associated with. I don't post about most of my experiments for just this reason, I love the exploration but the recognition is something I loathe, I am simply too shy for that.

However that also means that when I find someone worth talking to about my experiments then we have something to talk about, and indeed I do have several interesting subjects I would enjoy discussing in person with a friend with similar interests...Neutral

I need a GC-MS machine...

InMotion
#16 Posted : 2/14/2013 10:36:21 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Senior Member | Skills: 3D programming, Mathematician (if you need help with algebra to differential equations I'm available), SKilled Engineer

Does anyone have a specific species of Digitaria that is commonly available that one could go from? I'll happily do TLC, M.P. column chromatography, and mayyyybe if I'm feeling lucky run it through GC-MS. Figure I can't screw up growing grass Big grin.

Mr.Peabody
#17 Posted : 2/14/2013 10:46:59 PM

DMT-Nexus member

AlbertKLloyd wrote:

Let me qualify that, crab grass is everywhere... People that are the first to report or try something often get a bit of a spotlight, so to speak. I believe that Digitaria spp have a lot of potential as active tryptamine producers. I have concerns about being high profile and don't want a trail of data that leads to me. If I was the second or third person to try it, then it would be better for me.

If I hadn't deleted my digitaria post where I gave an account of my methods and results then I worry that I would have been accused of writing a tek, something which I do not want to be associated with. I don't post about most of my experiments for just this reason, I love the exploration but the recognition is something I loathe, I am simply too shy for that.

So why not create a temporary profile for the sole purpose of giving crab grass to the world? You could use a public computer only, which would make it near impossible to track anything to you personally.

I'm definitely interested in how it turned out, and how practical it would be.
Be an adult only when necessary.

shanedudddy2
#18 Posted : 2/14/2013 11:16:50 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I am simply curious of the effects, did it feel like 5meo? or DMT? or something else?
I presume you would just dry and pulverize, then perform an A/B with or without a defat (depending how oily), so posting a tek is probably not needed.
I also agree with Mr Peabody.
If anyone has some suggestions of other Digitaria species to investigate, please let us know in this thread.
I`m sure myself and others are keen to attempt tests to further the knowledge base.

AlbertKLloyd
#19 Posted : 2/15/2013 4:39:44 PM

DMT-Nexus member

A/B does not seem to work well for 5meo.

I don't dig the sock game, I don't play it...

Effects are like 5meo.

I would never dry, pulverize or A/B or even defat a grass extraction.
I have a method I have posted about, that uses serial processing of fresh grass, it works well and gives better results with Phalaris, for example, than any tek I have ever seen or read about in 10+ years of psychedelic research.

I have seeds of Digitaria and Phalaris that are worth working with further. I will see if I can place them in the right hands for further study.

I would investigate local species of digitaria, learn to ID the genus and work with what is around, don't worry too much about species, but i would focus on the material that has red and purple colors in the leaves.

shanedudddy2
#20 Posted : 2/15/2013 10:43:16 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Able to provide a link to this post outlining the grass method?

123NEXT