We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Dry IPA / Acetone without the use of expensive epsom salts? Options

Purges
#1 Posted : 8/9/2012 9:41:28 AM

DMT-Nexus member

It just occurred to me that we are trying to get all the excess water out of the IPA / Acetone when doing this. The common method is to stick some epsom salts in the oven, add to the solvent, shake for a bit and strain, which is all fine and dandy...

...But why not just put the solvent in the freezer for a day or 2, wait for the water to freeze, and strain from the non frozen solvent? Seems like and easy and free alternative to me. Any reason this wouldn't work?
Lose Control, Free My Soul, Break Me Open, Make Me Whole.
"DMT kicked my balls off" - od3

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

Infundibulum
#2 Posted : 8/9/2012 10:47:55 AM

Kalt und Heiß, Schwarz und Rot, Kürper und Geist, Liebe und Chaos

ModeratorChemical expert

You're referring to something called cold distillation, or the freezing of water out of water/alcohol mixtures. With such a method you can remove enough water to take a, say, 10% alcohol solution to ~50%, but not really much higher.

The more you decrease the water in your solvent/water system the more difficult it is for water to partition out and crystallise. Which, in simple words means that freezing water out of IPA/acetone does not work.

Nice thinking though!

Need to calculate between salts and freebases? Click here!
Need to calculate freebase or salt percentage at a given pH? Click here!

Pup Tentacle
#3 Posted : 8/9/2012 3:06:15 PM

lettuce

I've been using silica gel cat litter. Seems to work well if you grind it to powder in a coffee grinder and then filter it out.
Pup Tentacle

You are precisely as big as what you love and precisely as small as what you allow to annoy you.
Robert Anton Wilson
Mushroom Greenhouse How-To
I'm no pro but I know a a few things - always willing to help with Psilocybe cubensis cultivation questions.

Mister_Niles
#4 Posted : 8/9/2012 4:03:35 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Expensive? You can get them for less than a dollar a pound. That's not very expensive.
Welcome Home Mister_Niles. We've Been Waiting For You.

"Don't worry. When it happens, you won't be able to not let it do its thing. You won't have the ability to distinguish a pen from a hippopotamus"
- Art Van D'lay

The Day Tripper
#5 Posted : 8/10/2012 2:08:46 AM

Rennasauce Man

Location: A Pale Blue Dot orbiting a GV2 Yellow Dwarf fusion powered Luminous Ball of Plasma at 30km/s
Yeah, and usually whatever sulfate desiccant you are using (magnesium/sodium/etc), can be dehydrated and used again. Just bake it at 400f for an hour or two and it will dehydrate back into an annhydrous state. You could spend $10 and never have to buy magnesium/sodium sulfate again doing it this way.
"let those who have talked to the elves, find each other and band together" -TMK

In a society in which nearly everybody is dominated by somebody else's mind or by a disembodied mind, it becomes increasingly difficult to learn the truth about the activities of governments and corporations, about the quality or value of products, or about the health of one's own place and economy.
In such a society, also, our private economies will depend less upon the private ownership of real, usable property, and more upon property that is institutional and abstract, beyond individual control, such as money, insurance policies, certificates of deposit, stocks, etc. And as our private economies become more abstract, the mutual, free helps and pleasures of family and community life will be supplanted by a kind of displaced citizenship and by commerce with impersonal and self-interested suppliers...
The great enemy of freedom is the alignment of political power with wealth. This alignment destroys the commonwealth - that is, the natural wealth of localities and the local economies of household, neighborhood, and community - and so destroys democracy, of which the commonwealth is the foundation and practical means.” - Wendell Berry

Kash
#6 Posted : 8/10/2012 4:54:06 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Senior Member | Skills: Chemistry and Programming

Or if you are too impatient to dry your salts in the oven, you can microwave them and watch all the water absorbed boil away in under 5 minutes.
--------------------------------------------------*Kash's LSA Extraction* * Kash's Mescaline Extraction*------------------------------------------------------
All things I say are complete and utter ramblings of nonsense. Do not consider taking anything iterated from the depths of my subconsciousness rationally and/or seriously.

benzyme
#7 Posted : 8/10/2012 5:07:38 AM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

when did epsom salt become expensive? you can get a pound of it for a buck and some change from the grocery story/pharmacy.
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted." ~ hassan i sabbah
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

mew
#8 Posted : 8/10/2012 9:22:17 AM

huachumancer

Kash wrote:
Or if you are too impatient to dry your salts in the oven, you can microwave them and watch all the water absorbed boil away in under 5 minutes.

im super fond of this, it really expedites the process

Rivea
#9 Posted : 8/11/2012 5:13:57 AM

No.. that can't be...

Senior Member | Skills: Harmalas, A/B Extraction, Sonication, Sterile Processing, Hardware design, Craftsman

To me it seems that the Epsom salts is the cheapest item in this discussion. Getting good lab grade acetone (or almost any solvent) is more expensive by far. 91% isopropyl alcohol from the corner pharmacy is pretty cheap thought.
Everything mentioned herein has been deemed by our staff of expert psychiatrists to be the delusional rantings of a madman who has been treated with Thorazine who is hospitalized within the confines of our locked facility. This patient sometimes requires the application of 6 point leather restraints and electrodes at the temples to break his delusions. Therefore, take everything mentioned above with a grain of salt...

Purges
#10 Posted : 8/11/2012 9:51:15 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Well, for a moment there I thought I had a free alternative... Seems my logic was a little flawed, back to spending mega bucks on epsom salts them Wink
Lose Control, Free My Soul, Break Me Open, Make Me Whole.
"DMT kicked my balls off" - od3

Kash
#11 Posted : 8/14/2012 5:34:21 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Senior Member | Skills: Chemistry and Programming

Mega bucks lol its cheap as hell at any pharmacy. Like 5$ for 3lbs where I find my epsom salts lol. I dont even recycle it and it lasts a long time.

Good effort though. If you dont want to spend money just dehydrate it after use Razz
--------------------------------------------------*Kash's LSA Extraction* * Kash's Mescaline Extraction*------------------------------------------------------
All things I say are complete and utter ramblings of nonsense. Do not consider taking anything iterated from the depths of my subconsciousness rationally and/or seriously.

Yerba
#12 Posted : 8/14/2012 3:17:31 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Also keep in mind that once the epsom salts are used, they can be re-purged in the oven.

Just make sure that any solvent traces have been given a day or so to evaporate with proper ventilation, unless you relish the idea of starting a fire in your kitchen.