We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
12NEXT
Meditation Drugs. Options

redeadnixon
#1 Posted : 8/5/2012 11:00:14 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Do you know any drugs which aid meditation?

Recently I've been smoking calea zacatachichi before meditation.
I like how it calms you down but gives you mental clarity which you'd never get with weed.
How are opiates for meditation just out of curiosity?
It's not the first time we've been in this dream.

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

staresatwalls
#2 Posted : 8/6/2012 1:32:15 AM

DMT-Nexus member

i hear kanna is good for it. i know a good harmala dose is good. also check out sweetflag
‎"Trust in your own wetware; your psyche and your body will be reunited." -Gracie and Zarkov

in plants we trust

jamie
#3 Posted : 8/6/2012 2:10:44 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expert | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growingSenior Member | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growing

salvia
http://www.maps.org/rese...salvia/sdmeditation.html

Also harmalas and light doses of oral harmalas and DMT. At full visionary doses of DMT it is really not meditation to say the least.
Long live the unwoke.

Yerba
#4 Posted : 8/6/2012 3:11:02 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Quote:
The Soto Zen monk, Pari, agrees that "Drugs do not go with meditation." However, he says, "Meditation goes wonderfully with drugs."

Korey
#5 Posted : 8/6/2012 6:51:24 AM

DMT-Nexus member

LSD works pretty well Smile
“The most compelling insight of that day was that this awesome recall had been brought about by a fraction of a gram of a white solid, but that in no way whatsoever could it be argued that these memories had been contained within the white solid. Everything I had recognized came from the depths of my memory and my psyche. I understood that our entire universe is contained in the mind and the spirit. We may choose not to find access to it, we may even deny its existence, but it is indeed there inside us, and there are chemicals that can catalyze its availability.”

Wax
#6 Posted : 8/6/2012 7:20:36 AM

LUVR

The greatest (accidental) meditation experience I have ever had was on the comedown of mushrooms.

I only really had a body high at the time and was about to go to bed just sitting on my couch spacing out. There happened to be a hammer next to me because I had been hanging pictures earlier that day; I started playing with the hammer and rubbing it on the couch made a cool metallic sound so I kept doing it. I had my eyes closed and I guess the sound acted as sort of a carrier wave that shot me into the most amazing place.

I was distinctly aware of being "inside" my own head, at the very center except visually I was in outer space, a white ghost like image of myself was standing on a platform created by hollow boxes made from white outlines. I was ALONE, I felt amazing and I never wanted to leave. Just then my room mate flicked off the light and told me he was going to bed snapping me out of it. I couldn't get back though no matter how hard I tried.

So I guess mushrooms + a hammer and couch Pleased
'Little spider weaves a wispy web, stumblin' through the woods it catches to my head. She crawls behind my ear and whispers secrets. Dragonfly whiz by and sings now teach it.'

hixidom
#7 Posted : 8/6/2012 6:13:19 PM
DMT-Nexus member

From what I've read about Caapi tea, it sounds like the experience would be a good aid to meditation. Hopefully someone who actually has experience with Caapi can comment on that suggestion.
Every day I am thankful that I was introduced to psychedelic drugs.

redeadnixon
#8 Posted : 8/7/2012 9:09:56 PM

DMT-Nexus member

hixidom wrote:
From what I've read about Caapi tea, it sounds like the experience would be a good aid to meditation. Hopefully someone who actually has experience with Caapi can comment on that suggestion.

This..
Mushrooms too.

What about less psychedelic drugs though??
Any which help calm the mind??
It's not the first time we've been in this dream.

joedirt
#9 Posted : 8/8/2012 12:20:22 AM

Not I

jamie wrote:
salvia
http://www.maps.org/rese...salvia/sdmeditation.html

Also harmalas and doses of oral harmalas and DMT. At full visionary doses of DMT it is really not meditation to say the least.

Jamie, have you tried this? What are your thoughts on it? worthwhile?

I still have a bunch of salvia leaves though my plant is dead ( may she rest in peace ).
If your religion, faith, devotion, or self proclaimed spirituality is not directly leading to an increase in kindness, empathy, compassion and tolerance for others then you have been misled.

jamie
#10 Posted : 8/8/2012 12:28:42 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expert | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growingSenior Member | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growing

Yes I have worked with it many times..doses might varry between people..for me 1-2 large leaves quidded is ideal for meditation. Dry leaf is fine just rehydrate it for 30 seconds or so in some water. At 3 large leaves(about the size of my hand) I can start having light dimsensional warping sort of effects with a very specific visionary effect..also very useful but not so much a meditation.

Salvinorin is a great molecule for meditation when you get the dose right. It can be a very very calming herb and clears the mind quite effectivly for me.
Long live the unwoke.

joedirt
#11 Posted : 8/8/2012 12:40:57 AM

Not I

Very interesting jamie. You have inspired me to give it a shot. I've just had this jar of salvia leaves sitting around doing nothing for about a year now. I didn't really enjoy smoked salvia so I didn't replace my plant when it died, but if the low dose quid is worth repeating then maybe I'll buy another one.

How long do the relaxing effects last? Is it a worthy bed time thing to try? note I find sublingual harmalas from rue to be to stimulating for sleep.

If your religion, faith, devotion, or self proclaimed spirituality is not directly leading to an increase in kindness, empathy, compassion and tolerance for others then you have been misled.

jamie
#12 Posted : 8/8/2012 4:13:20 AM

DMT-Nexus member

even at light visionary doses for me it never lasts longer than maybe 1.5 hours max..usually more like 45-60 minutes start to finish..at lower meditation doses probly never longer than 1 hour.
Long live the unwoke.

antrocles
#13 Posted : 8/11/2012 2:06:47 AM

DMT-Nexus member

for me, caapi tea is amazing. as are mushrooms taken in small doses (1 1/2 grams). also, if i am good with my focus, ganja is profoundly good to meditate with. it's a little trickier though as it can make the mind run away from you a bit. it requires constant focus and discipline...but the shivan yogi's will agree....hash and ganja is like keys to the car. you can go anywhere with it....

...as long as you know how to drive.... Pleased

L&G
"Rise above the illusion of time and you will have tomorrow's
wisdom today."

jamie
#14 Posted : 8/11/2012 2:10:22 AM

DMT-Nexus member

san pedro microdose.

Long live the unwoke.

Rising Spirit
#15 Posted : 8/13/2012 3:42:43 AM

'Tis A Looooooong Wind Blowing Cosmic Dust

Hey Guys,

Thought I'd add my 2000 cents. Please forgive my verbosity but I've been absent around here lately, and am temped to indulge in this intriguing thread. A topic near and dear to my heart for almost 4 decades. Thumbs up

I agree with much of what has been suggested. Although, to a large degree, almost every time I imbibe in "drugs"... I am naturally and inalterabley drawn towards the meditative experience. You know, one in which the observer is dissolved within the action of said observation (or might it really be perceived as an inaction)?

In other words, I believe true meditation happens when we become so absorbed in our concentration within, that we become nothing at all. Our awareness transcends the act of witnessing our consciousness, directly perceiving this, that and the other. Sort of an attunement to our innermost being, which is the opposite of our individual, mortal self.

So, is it plain to see that when we use words like meditation, they carry slightly differnt meanings to each of us, at differnt points in our efforts towards awakening, search for wisdom or an immersion in the effulgence of the Light. Is meditation always calm, centered and completely serene? A stillness and void of form and conception? Is meditation even a definable state of mind... or is it an empty vacuum, whence no thoughts arise? Obviously, hairs could be split over our collective use of the term.

Suffice it so say, I guess we are all referring to the practice of becoming centered and methodically or spontaneously, actualizing the process of silencing our minds and expanding our consciousness to a singularity of being and universal harmony? IMO, that is what meditation truly is. It is most certainly NOT an alternate habit of sitting with one's legs crossed, eyes closed and repeating a mantra ad infinitum (and fighting against one's thought process and organic urges, the whole time).

It seems to my sensibilities, that it is a definitive shift in awareness. An expansion of consciousness, not an anesthesia. A remembrance and returning to the core of our inherent natural being. It is understandably a long, slow methodology of self-transformation and the cultivation of the very intent, which pops the tiny bubble of our own self-perpetuated and self-projected mirage (within our own temporary material existence).

To that end, or is it more a beginning (?), I have explored a number of herbal aids and found some more helpful than others. While I wholly agree with jamie, ultimately smaller doses of the major classic psychs are best for the deepest meditations, I kinda thought this thread was about our regular, daily meditation training (and not exactly a case of milder levels of tripping). Just the right organic boost to broaden our focus and center our awareness! Big grin

I don't claim to know anything absolute about any o this stuff... and anyone who does is usually deluded, since who can say where a high ends and a trip begins? And aren't they all steps ascending into higher and higher spheres of consciousnesses? Such semantically oriented thinking is daft, 2-dimensional and I do wholly grok where jamie is coming from.

I do feel that they are for myself, still oh so powerful, as teas or extracts... that it takes one a bit too close to the edge and I am drawn to merge into the emptiness of the Clear Light of the Void. I personally see such inter-dimensional trips as a Sacred journey. In my humble experiences, the meditative state is best when it feels mildly enhanced, centered, balanced and grounded. Psychedelics, even in mild doses, just can't help to shatter my ego-self and trigger a Spirit Voyage.

That being said, mild, moderate, strong and even overwhelming experiences with tryptamines, harmalas and phenethylamines can take meditation to a whole other level! It assuredly can and does activate a full blooming, a temporary rise into Samadhi/Satori/enlightenment. We've all been there, right? By "there" I really mean here & now.

For the occasional boost for my routine sitting or moving meditation practice, I found several herbs that help me to attune to my own journey of awakening. They do seem to be conditional, given the fluctuations of energy, states of mind and so on. So, if I need some ZING for my concentration, stimulants like caffeine or ephedrine can work wonders. Of course, this releases some noticeable agitation and thus, the further need to control the waves of stimulation arising. In a nutshell, this is kind of stimulation is usually only necessary if one is sleepy, depleted or in a low energy vibe.

If fully alert and activated, I like a few puffs of ganja or hashish. Perhaps this is a carry-over from a former incarnation as a wandering Shivite sadhu? Well, it's food for thought but just something else to release into the infinity of the eternal Void. But seriously, I've always found THC to drawn my attention into that still, small vortex of the indwelling soul.

Lately, I have enjoyed preceding my meditations with a couple-three puffs of my own personal blend of "little smoke". Yep, inspired by Don Juan of the Castaneda books. I would guess that everyone would choose differnt herbal combinations, based on their inherent nature? I have tried several recipes and it is definitely contingent on a number of factors and variables.

But for the recent mixes, I use: Ganja, Cappi leaves, Salvia leaves, Calea Zacatachichi, Amanita Muscaria. Why waste psilocybin shrooms, as Carlos Castaneda would have us believe Don Juan used? Tried it a couple times over the decades and it was nothing to speak of. I can truly FEEL the Amanitas, though. They seem to synthesize with the others beautifully. I've also experimented with Nymphaea Caerulea (blue lotus) and wormwood. Those two seem to work better as a tea, though.

Also a round robin of sympathetic, secondary herbs. These are far, far milder and accent the qualities of the primary aspects of the "little smoke". These harmonius herbs can vary, depending on availability and whatnot. The ones I enjoy most are: mullein, coltsfoot, mugwart, spearmint. I even tried small pinches of sweet white sage and sweet grass and kinda liked the flavor.

Ultimately, I guess less is more? Maybe it's better to keep it much simpler? Still, the blend seems to be quite alluring these days. More than anything else, the art of meditation must by it's own necessity, become a continuum if it is to be of any real use to the psychonaut.

And honestly, more than anything else, I sincerely feel that truly spontaneous states of meditation are the most perfect of them all. No drugs are then needed, no religious props, no ancient and obscure rituals, no ideas about anything at all. Fullness within emptiness. Thanks for your existence, folks. Cool

There is no self to which I cling, for I am one with everything.

Hyperspace Fool
#16 Posted : 8/13/2012 10:46:55 AM

DMT-Nexus member

As usual, I can concur wholeheartedly with what my brethren have said thus far. The usual suspects showed up for this thread, and they are among the most suited to answer this question.

(quick what's up to jamie, Rising Spirit, Joedirt, antrocles et. al.)

I think it has been established fairly well that there are a lot of different practices and states which fall under the rather generic term "meditation." Thus, and therefore, it makes a big difference on where you are trying to get to or what you want to accomplish with your practice... or not achieve for my more zen and non-dual peeps.

Like most of you, some form of meditation / mind cultivation comes into play every time I use any psychedelic or entheogenic compound... regardless of the dosage. At high doses, one has little choice but to find a place where you won't be disturbed overly and experience your consciousness in these inner realms. Heroic doses leave one sorely ill equipped for much in the way of socializing or interacting meaningfully with your external world... at least at some portions of the peak anyway.

This whole semantic morass is further complicated because nearly anything one does can be a meditation if the right consciousness is brought to bear. Moving meditations like tai chi can prepare one to maintain high levels of meditative mindstate while doing such extremely external activities as surfing, snowboarding, skateboarding... or even playing basketball.

As such, different drugs, herbs, and supplements may be more or less useful depending on what you're up to.

I would say a good basis for any mindwork is probably some acetylcholine boosting or preserving substances. Celastrus seeds, CDP Choline (or AGP), Calea, Silene Capensis... also some nootropics and neurotransmitters like 5-HTP, L-Tryptophan, Melatonin, any of the racetams, huperzine etc etc. Many Chinese (& Ayurvedic) herbs are notable in their ability to aid practitioners, too many to mention here. Any good adaptogen, jing, or chi boosting formula is likely to help.

As for the more trippy stuff... I highly recommend mild dissociatives for the superior ease which they can push you into that vaunted observer position. I include harmalas, amanitas and salvia in the disso category along with the more standard bad boys like ketamine, mxe, dxm, pcp and any number of RCs I won't bother mentioning. These can be the easiest routes to deep meditative states, though not without some issues like addictive potential.

Of course, LSD is a wonderful tool for meditating and brings its own rather productive realizations. The same can be said for shrooms and cacti... though they tend to have certain emotional and physical side effects that can make deep meditation a bit more work (Though this can often be a good thing if you stick with it and do the mental backflip)

Saving the best for last Ayahuasca and its various analogs. I already mentioned harmalas as being dissociative. This is probably the root of why Aya is so great. Throw in just enough tryptamines to light up the inner space, and ride the natural dissociation to bliss. Oftentimes a full MAOI dose with a bit of whatever you have at hand can be magic. And who can poo poo the grandeur of a full blown harmala/ DMT flash? Only downside here is that if you go for full MAO inhibition, you have to really watch what you eat or drink as well as any other drugs or herbs you consume. Even some relatively harmless smoking admixtures can give you a terrible headache while on Aya. I learned the hard way not to smoke Mexican Terragon (Tagetes Lucidus) while on huasca.

Anyways folks. I guess I have waxed on long enough. I will conclude by paraphrasing a master I know. Focusing on the urge to become conscious accelerates the development of that very consciousness which it seeks.

This is rather profound when you can get it going.

Ciao all.
HF

"Curiouser and curiouser..." ~ Alice

"Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders. Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations. But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it." ~ Buddha

nexalizer
#17 Posted : 8/13/2012 1:16:11 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Korey wrote:
LSD works pretty well Smile

DittoBig grin
This is the time to really find out who you are and enjoy every moment you have. Take advantage of it.

polytrip
#18 Posted : 8/14/2012 5:39:17 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Location: A speck of dust in endless space, like everyone else.
Green tea. It´s no coincidence that a japanese tea ceremony is a meditative event that is usually spent in silence. Grean tea contains teanine that has the same effect on the brain as meditation has, though more subtle.

Aegle
#19 Posted : 8/14/2012 7:08:03 PM

Cloud Whisperer

Senior Member | Skills: South African botanicals, Mushroom cultivator, Changa enthusiast, Permaculture, Counselling, Photography, Writing

I would suggest Mescaline, Catha Edulis, Caapi, Changa, Sceletium Tortuosum and Bhang Lassi (with a little honey added.) I have found through my own experience that these work on a profound level when it comes to meditation.

Much Peace and Compassion
The Nexus Art Gallery | The Nexian | DMT Nexus Research | The Open Hyperspace Traveler Handbook

For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love.

The fate of our times is characterised by rationalisation and intellectualisation and, above all, by the disenchantment of the world.

Following a Path of Compassion and Heart

universecannon
#20 Posted : 8/14/2012 7:14:16 PM

Moderator | Skills: harmalas, melatonin, trip advice, lucid dreaming

some great suggestions in this thread

something i've found very nice is a LOT of cacao taken in a fruit smoothie, along with a large amount of melatonin all followed by low doses of changa smoked consecutively over a long period of time during meditation with binaural beats playing gently out of some speakers. Or, if you don't want to smoke, just take a lower dose of caapi ( or rue) tea.

<Ringworm>hehehe, it's all fun and games till someone loses an "I"

12NEXT