We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Perfect Cakes, No Fruiting for 2 Weeks - What's Wrong? Options

Trickster
#1 Posted : 7/31/2012 10:05:10 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Chemical expert

Two weeks ago I got 3 great looking PF cakes from a friend to fruit.

I kept them in a FC for 13 days already. There is no sign of pinning.

Here is what has happened. The FC has moisture and temp controller set to 65-75% RH and temp 26-28C. Unfortunately, during the first day due to a technical error RH was very close to 100%. Later it was brought to 70-80%.

Also, due to very hot weather the temp inside the FC was 28-32C.

I have an aquarium pump running full time to provide FAE.

Other cakes made by the same friend has already started to fruit. I have very little experience with mush growing, so I do not know what to do. In case it may help I attach a photo.
Trickster attached the following image(s):
IMG_0105s.jpg (96kb) downloaded 159 time(s).
Do not seek the truth, just drop your opinions.

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

SnozzleBerry
#2 Posted : 7/31/2012 11:02:51 PM

omnia sunt communia!

Moderator | Skills: Growing (plants/mushrooms), Research, Extraction troubleshooting, Harmalas, Revolution (theory/practice)

I know nothing about cakes...but the term "dunk and roll" comes to mind. Did you do this?

Additionally, iirc, 95% rh is optimal. Low humidity (furthered possibly by not dunking/rolling) can definitely add time to pinning/fruiting or prevent it all together, ime.
WikiAttitudeFAQ
The NexianNexus ResearchThe OHT
In New York, we wrote the legal number on our arms in marker...To call a lawyer if we were arrested.
In Istanbul, People wrote their blood types on their arms. I hear in Egypt, They just write Their names.
גם זה יעבור

Pup Tentacle
#3 Posted : 7/31/2012 11:38:55 PM

lettuce

Yup, those don't look rolled. Can't tell if you dunked them... if not, it's not too late... dunk them for 24 hours, roll them in verm, let them sit in your FC for 30 min and then mist them real good.

That looks like a poor man's pod, I haven't used one, but make sure you keep that perlite soaked. It's your biggest humidity buddy.

Your rh needs to be 95% like Snoz said.

Also, you may wanna check that aquarium's pump's output. It's possible that you have too much air blowing through there and it's dropping your humidity. I know I've seen charts for what size pump goes with what size tub with one of the warning beings that too much air flow was a bad thing as well.

Another also... after you had 100% colonization did you let them consolidate in the jars for another week or did you birth them right @ 100%?

I'm no pro by any means, but these are a few things I do know.

Other than that, maybe one of the way more experienced cats at the shroomery could help.

Good Luck! Hope you get some nice fruits Smile
Pup Tentacle

You are precisely as big as what you love and precisely as small as what you allow to annoy you.
Robert Anton Wilson
Mushroom Greenhouse How-To
I'm no pro but I know a a few things - always willing to help with Psilocybe cubensis cultivation questions.

jamie
#4 Posted : 8/1/2012 12:48:48 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expert | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growingSenior Member | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growing

dunk them in clean spring water over night, in the fridge..roll them in verm in the morning and put them back into the fruiting chamber.
Long live the unwoke.

Dreamwalker
#5 Posted : 8/1/2012 3:27:53 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Its hard to tell for sure from the picture but to me they don't look fully colonized.

You should wait a week after full colonization to birth them then "dunk and roll"

If you birthed them before they reached full colonization they'll just sit there like that.

Trickster
#6 Posted : 8/2/2012 11:37:39 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Chemical expert

Dreamwalker wrote:
Its hard to tell for sure from the picture but to me they don't look fully colonized.

Oh, they were. Other cakes from the same batch are happily fruiting already.

The only difference is the FC conditions. Initially I thought of making a fully controlled FC but I did not get a CO2 controller yet, so ATM it is just a few holes around the plastic box perimeter plus an aquarium airpump.

A friend told me that RH should be kept between 65% and 75% which is probably way too low.

I just did a 24 hrs dunk and then rolled the cakes in verm. Now RH is set to 93% - 96%.

Instead of relying on FAE via partially open upper box cover I added a dozen holes in the FC just below the cakes level. Waiting to see what's happen...

Thank you guys for you help.
Do not seek the truth, just drop your opinions.