We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
mild PSYCHEDELIC effects from Turmeric! Options

AluminumFoilRobots
#1 Posted : 7/27/2012 4:25:05 AM

gufyg

Hello everyone!

Since I had this I've done some research, and found a few discussions on the nexus and elsewhere as well as q21q21's TEK for extracting curcumin.
So this isn't as much of a discovery as I thought, but still ,here it is:

Yesterday I took 2+ grams of fairly good quality turmeric powder with lots of freshly ground black pepper (lots), goat cheese, and olive-oil on a delicious polenta-kale sandwhich. The pepper and lipids for bioavailability of the curcumin. I was taking it for it's anti-inflammatory effects to compare it to naproxen/NSAIDs (what I usually take)
Anyway, I started to notice that a distinct valium-like sedation and general body feeling was setting in, extremely relaxed. My wife and I lay down for a nap, and upon closing my eyes I was surprised to see very colorful closed-eye psychedelic visuals. Mostly in dark blue with a metallic sheen over the visuals (something I do not note from harmala). As I lay there I began to sink into the trance-state and began having dream-like episodes while still being conscious. I don't remember what they were about though.

Well I thought I'd either made a huge discovery or was witness to a very strong case of placebo-effect, but after doing some research I found that this is actually a somewhat well-known fact, plus the fact that it is a nonselective MAOI.... Oh, another interesting thing to note: that night I drank perhaps 1 glass of merlot and got a pounding headache... so watch out, there seems to be quite the reaction between the two. I don't know if it was the alcohol or the fermentation-products (tyramine etc.) causing the reaction, but it was nasty. Even worse than the harmala-wine headache, if you can believe it (for me, at least!)

So I guess lets discuss the psychoactive effects of turmeric!
بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم

Fairly responsible Kratom user.

"whenever he drank ayahuasca, he had such beautiful visions that he used to put his hands over his eyes for fear somebody might steal them."
in between the grinding-brakes of a train crash while aluminum-foil robots make obnoxious sex noises on a static-filled walkie-talkie radio.

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

The Day Tripper
#2 Posted : 7/27/2012 4:38:23 AM

Rennasauce Man

Location: A Pale Blue Dot orbiting a GV2 Yellow Dwarf fusion powered Luminous Ball of Plasma at 30km/s
Yep. I had a VERY interesting day at work once after putting a ton of turmeric and pepper on a meal before work.

For me it was a more anxious almost speedy like affect with definite light psychedelic affects. Could have been the anxiousness of being caught off gaurd like that at work. Kinda like cannabis in terms of psychedelic intensity, but I'm kinda sensitive to it already.

I've yet to try a large dose of it since then, but perhaps it would be interesting to try one day when i can relax and go with the experience, rather than being at work which is not a good place to be psychadelicized in any way for me. Even cannabis makes me weird at work.

Might be interesting to try w/ some mushrooms or 4-aco as well, if its a maoi, perhaps a good way to introduce people to maois who are weary of the safety of harmalas due to memes about interactions that are overhyped, or they're afraid of the intensity of the experience.

Assuming its not too strong of a potentiator of tryptamines. Like a shroomhuasca lite, for people weary of harmala & mushrooms, and aya even more. I can think of one person i know that thinks that way.

Definately interesting effects though, even at low doses, i like it on eggs w/ lots of pepper every now and then. Also, check out turmeric under a black light Shocked. Prob not an indicator that its a maoi, but still interesting given it has some maoi activity.

"let those who have talked to the elves, find each other and band together" -TMK

In a society in which nearly everybody is dominated by somebody else's mind or by a disembodied mind, it becomes increasingly difficult to learn the truth about the activities of governments and corporations, about the quality or value of products, or about the health of one's own place and economy.
In such a society, also, our private economies will depend less upon the private ownership of real, usable property, and more upon property that is institutional and abstract, beyond individual control, such as money, insurance policies, certificates of deposit, stocks, etc. And as our private economies become more abstract, the mutual, free helps and pleasures of family and community life will be supplanted by a kind of displaced citizenship and by commerce with impersonal and self-interested suppliers...
The great enemy of freedom is the alignment of political power with wealth. This alignment destroys the commonwealth - that is, the natural wealth of localities and the local economies of household, neighborhood, and community - and so destroys democracy, of which the commonwealth is the foundation and practical means.” - Wendell Berry

۩
#3 Posted : 7/27/2012 7:26:01 AM

Don't forget the capsaicin.

polytrip
#4 Posted : 7/27/2012 11:42:28 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Location: A speck of dust in endless space, like everyone else.
Turmeric definately has some effects. It´s no placebo-effect. Eating lot´s of indonesian ]and some other asian food has always given me subtle sedative effects, even before i knew there where psycho-active compounds in some of the herbs used.

jamie
#5 Posted : 7/27/2012 4:51:28 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expert | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growingSenior Member | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growing

It works for me but it does not always work for some reason..never had visuals from that alone though.

I have done this also and then taken DMT and that was extremely unpleasant.. never want to do that again lol. It was the most violent DMT trip possible and I thought I was going to have a heart attack.
Long live the unwoke.