We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
12NEXT
Benefits of living out side but with out the dangers and annoyances of animals and bugs Options

TheFly
#1 Posted : 7/14/2012 8:59:57 AM

The Fly

So i know this sounds laughable but what are some suggestions or ideas to living outside or recieving the benefits of outside but not having to worry about bugs and animals?

I was thinking for a halfbaked idea is plant trees around the proximity of the land i own so dense that animals are forced through the designated (closed)gates. That solves the animal problem, now the bugs i was thinking of building a house that has little to no spaces for bugs to crawl i think thats the main issue is recieiving electricity and being within regulation building codes. I make robots as a hobby of mind to help improve life anyway i can , and my source of income is building websites so i would like to keep electricity in my theorehtical house.
I dont know much about housing construction so please be insightull as possible.

Existence is an illusion of an experience with states of minds and functions of memory to entice you that it is in fact real.

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

3rdI
#2 Posted : 7/14/2012 9:15:36 AM

veni, vidi, spici

What's wrong with animals? One of the best things about living outside would be the animals.

I can understand not liking bugs but unless you live in Africa and might get eaten by a crazy hippo, why no animals?
INHALE, SURVIVE, ADAPT

it's all in your mind, but what's your mind???

fool of the year

christian
#3 Posted : 7/14/2012 9:16:48 AM

DMT-Nexus member

TheFly wrote:
So i know this sounds laughable but what are some suggestions or ideas to living outside or recieving the benefits of outside but not having to worry about bugs and animals?

Many humans spend their living time outside, unless they are television watchin' fools, and return indoors to sleep for the next day ahead.Surprised
"Eat your vegetables and do as you're told, or you won't be going to the funfair!"

TheFly
#4 Posted : 7/14/2012 10:05:49 AM

The Fly

I live in a forest area. the closest real city is an hour away driving. There are mountain lion and bear attacks to be aware of
Existence is an illusion of an experience with states of minds and functions of memory to entice you that it is in fact real.

3rdI
#5 Posted : 7/14/2012 10:26:45 AM

veni, vidi, spici

Fair enough, I can see how a scuffle with one of those could ruin your day.

Could you get some kind of sonic alarm? I have one for rats and mice. Or maybe a low voltage electric fence?

INHALE, SURVIVE, ADAPT

fool of the year

christian
#6 Posted : 7/14/2012 10:27:15 AM

DMT-Nexus member

TheFly wrote:
I live in a forest area. the closest real city is an hour away driving. There are mountain lion and bear attacks to be aware of

Then a dwelling, with a fenced garden might be in order. Maybe have one of those conservatories in the back garden??

I think you'll have to figure this one out yourself, fly. You know the score more than us. Ask a local builder what they think?
"Eat your vegetables and do as you're told, or you won't be going to the funfair!"

Elicius
#7 Posted : 7/14/2012 10:29:40 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Location: An idealistic state of mind I carry with me at all times
Bug zapper.

TheFly
#8 Posted : 7/14/2012 10:48:27 AM

The Fly

Hmm i guess i was hoping someone else has the same idea or experience to contribute with.
all my ideas are based on assumptions of building codes ill take anything to spark an ingenious idea. I guess i could be satisifed with like my sleeping and meditation quarters to be with out power and then i could really seal off all the possible holes and nooks and crannies, this same room could have only entrances that have a clean room buffer zone were everything must be stripped and clean clothes will be put on during the length of time inside the meditation/sleeping area.

As far as the power problem maybe i could have seperate small house hut thing where food is cooked and work is established. Im trying to keep an open mind about everything, i do believe being around tree and nature is mentally positive its just a shame im forced to stare at all the beauty through a window during day light hours then it gets dark and then by that time i am forced to relax inside still --- its like never ending insideness.

christian
#9 Posted : 7/14/2012 12:14:04 PM

DMT-Nexus member

TheFly wrote:
its like never ending insideness.

I think you're being just a little overdramatic here, fly.

Why not goto library, search the net , look to others who've done it already. Base your ideas on that. We can't build your dream for you, that's YOUR thing, and i wouldn't wanna deprive you of the joy of acting on your own decisions, or rob you of an opportunity to grow, and gain trust in your OWN abilities to sort all this out.Razz

applebaum
#10 Posted : 7/14/2012 2:46:11 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Screened in porch?

TheFly
#11 Posted : 7/14/2012 4:22:50 PM

The Fly

christian wrote:
TheFly wrote:
its like never ending insideness.

I think you're being just a little overdramatic here, fly.

Why not goto library, search the net , look to others who've done it already. Base your ideas on that. We can't build your dream for you, that's YOUR thing, and i wouldn't wanna deprive you of the joy of acting on your own decisions, or rob you of an opportunity to grow, and gain trust in your OWN abilities to sort all this out.Razz

This is just something that is theoretical until I start getting a steady income to actually live on my own(1 - 2 years from now), there are so many ways to go with this -- Just looking for some direction not necessarily a "Tell me how to dream my dream house" lol. I would like to discuss the mater public because I'm sure their are others like me afraid to ask for this kind of advice since it sound counter-intuitive but it really isn't because of situational variables(.

applebaum wrote:

Screened in porch?

Actually now I don't feel so out of place when you mention that, My original idea was to build a gazeebo with a screen lined on the outside and inside(double screened basically) but then it turned into me saying... Well it snows so that's just not safe to live like that but a screened in porch could definitely solve everything with the way I'm thinking of it as it now.

3rdI
#12 Posted : 7/14/2012 5:08:44 PM

veni, vidi, spici

ive been giving this alot of serious thought this morning and i have come up with the perfect solution.

you need one of these to sort out the bears and mountain lions and it will probably keep the bugs off as well

Very happy

if you dont like bugs and lunch seeking animals then maybe a natural location that isnt the woods would be a better idea.
INHALE, SURVIVE, ADAPT

fool of the year

TheFly
#13 Posted : 7/14/2012 5:48:54 PM

The Fly

3rdI wrote:
ive been giving this alot of serious thought this morning and i have come up with the perfect solution.

you need one of these to sort out the bears and mountain lions and it will probably keep the bugs off as well

Very happy

if you dont like bugs and lunch seeking animals then maybe a natural location that isnt the woods would be a better idea.

That was pretty hilarious ... lol

Also I'd prefer to have the birds peck at my body and die in the woods I just would rather not be so "primitive" about it and die my first year, and plus, I hate people from the city, I hate how there is just a seemingly never ending stream of un-nessecary stimuli, wasted energy everywhere and F.U.D. in the city I just don't think that is the right place for me.

TheFly
#14 Posted : 7/14/2012 5:51:29 PM

The Fly

applebaum wrote:
Screened in porch?

Applebaum, I like your avatar picture, it reminds me of when I smoked some spice and saw visions of a tree and almost mushroom like place a blurred image. I think I was just staring at my blood vessels in my eyes though.

Felnik
#15 Posted : 7/14/2012 6:04:00 PM

DMT-Nexus member

what about building something off the ground like a tree house or something on posts up off the ground
The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible.
Arthur C. Clarke

http://vimeo.com/32001208

Wax
#16 Posted : 7/14/2012 8:03:54 PM

LUVR

Living in the city I get just as many bugs in my house as I did when I lived in the middle of the woods in a log cabin. Bugs and animals want to be outside but they are forced inside when their habitat is destroyed and covered over with concrete. You shouldn't have to build a special house to live in the woods, a normal house will keep bugs out just fine. Unless of course you are deathly afraid of them, but I am willing to bet there are just as many bugs in your house now as there would be in the woods.

As for bears and mountain lions, you are more likely to be attacked by a mountain lion if you are in the city and one wanders in from the woods because they are being driven into the city due to lack of food in the woods, also caused by cities (deer love the city, they are out of harms way with the exception of cars. Fruit trees and gardens provide food.)

I have lived in the woods or a rural town close to them for almost my entire life as well as spent a LOT of time in the woods hiking and hunting and have only encountered three or four bears and only heard of mountain lions been spotted, I've only really had one good look at a bear, normally you will see a flash of fur and they are gone. Bears rarely attack people and they are not going to bust into your house and eat you, if anything they will get into your trash and you will be out there in the morning cleaning it up.

Bears are also nocturnal so you probably won't ever see one unless you are wandering out in the woods at night with a side of beef strapped to your back.
'Little spider weaves a wispy web, stumblin' through the woods it catches to my head. She crawls behind my ear and whispers secrets. Dragonfly whiz by and sings now teach it.'

applebaum
#17 Posted : 7/18/2012 3:03:03 AM

DMT-Nexus member

TheFly wrote:
Applebaum, I like your avatar picture,

Thanks.

TheFly wrote:
Well it snows so that's just not safe to live like that but a screened in porch could definitely solve everything with the way I'm thinking of it as it now.

My grandparents had a trailer house by a lake that they'd built a large porch with screens going all across the 3 walls. The porch was just as big as the trailer, and they had a bed out there. It was really nice sleeping out there because of the cool air all around you at night.

If I were you and wanted to build this I'd make the roof of the porch with pretty large eaves. Like 2 feet at least so that the rain would have to be coming pretty much sideways before it'd rain in your windows. There's nothing like smell of the air while it's raining. Large eaves keep the summer sun from shining in too far too, if your window faces south, so it'll stay cooler.

In winter you could just throw up some cheap aluminum storm windows to keep snow out if you're not going to be using it too much. It'd make your house easier to heat that way.

Tokapelli
#18 Posted : 7/18/2012 6:11:13 PM

DMT-Nexus member

if your looking at building a house on your land I think you should do a little research on natural and sustainable building methods. There are lots of options. If you dont mind doing most of the work yourself you could do strawbale construction, earthbag dome, depending on the climate there you might want to look at the benefits of an earthship home as well. These sustainable builidng methods require little to no construction experience or knowledge, they are fundamentally simple and easy ways of building a very comfortable and efficient home. You could easily build a comfortable house for under $10,000.

Another not-so natural option that I have been interested in shipping container homes. Seems like it would be pretty easy to keep bugs out of a shipping container (of course you have to have ventilation and stuff though). Also if you have some harsh winters you can bury a couple shipping containers, your home would stay warm in the winter and cool in the summer, and youd basically be living in a bomb shelter should the shit ever hit the fan. I post some good links to more info about any of these options if your interested, or just google it there is tons of info out there.

xsparkyx
#19 Posted : 7/18/2012 8:36:22 PM
DMT-Nexus member

I do a lot of "backpacking". That is I live out of a backpack in the mountains of california. I do it for recreation, and never really more than a week at a time. Mountain lions and bears are NOT a risk.

We are not on the menu, period. Attacks do happen, and only in very rare cases do they end in death.

Saying that, if you don't want bears to visit and steal your food, you need to be clean, and always store food in bear proof containers. Birds and other small creatures WILL steal your food also.

Let me be critical of you for a second, with all due respect. What you are proposing is quite silly. You want to live outside, but you dont want animals and bugs in your area?! You need to change your whole outlook on nature. Nature is good, all nature, and you are a part of it, bugs, predators, and all.

AluminumFoilRobots
#20 Posted : 7/18/2012 10:22:10 PM

gufyg

bug zapper yup! but if you do not want to be attached to the grid then there are lots of plants with insect repelling qualities, lavender oil for instance reduces ticks for me by at least 50% in tick-ridden areas, more if you count that more that get on me do not attempt to attach.

But really man if you are going to be living outside you are going to have to deal with bugs from time to time. I wouldn't worry too hard about animals, just keep food tied up away from your camp for bear and other such beast-safety. Other than that most will honestly leave you be.
بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم

Fairly responsible Kratom user.

"whenever he drank ayahuasca, he had such beautiful visions that he used to put his hands over his eyes for fear somebody might steal them."
in between the grinding-brakes of a train crash while aluminum-foil robots make obnoxious sex noises on a static-filled walkie-talkie radio.

12NEXT