We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
12NEXT
Trouble Sleeping after LSD Options

DMT Psychonaut
#1 Posted : 7/8/2012 7:09:24 AM

Witness to Humanity

First off I'm relatively inexperienced with LSD. This is only my 4th time doing it over the course of about 2 or 3 years.

It seems like everytime I've done it even the first time, I have trouble sleeping after the trip. Although, the last time and this time, have been more extreme.

Each time I've done it. I've always ended up doing it late in the evening, usually around 6 and stay up all night tripping till about 6 a.m. For the first two times I couldn't sleep for a few hours after tripping and would go to sleep around 10 a.m.

Although the last time I did it, instead of falling asleep in the late a.m. I just stayed up the rest of the day and planned getting a good nights sleep early that night, but when I tried to go to sleep I couldn't. I was up all night and became real paranoid and started freaking out thinking something was wrong.

I layed there for hours with my eyes closed just trying to fall asleep. After so long I'd become lost in thought almost like dreaming, but awake, and everytime I heard the sleightest noise around me I'd become aware of my surroundings and realize I wasn't asleep.

That time I tried a couple of things to help me sleep. I had taken a sleeping aid and after sometime of that not working desperately tried downing a few beers to try and pass out drunk. None of which was successful. I had finally passed out hours later around 10 a.m. the day after I dropped. and maybe got 5 hours of sleep. My sleep was a little foggy for the next couple of days after that as well.

Now it's been a about a year and a half since that trip and I've done it again and seem to be having the same problem. I tripped from about 6 p.m. Friday to 6 a.m. Saturday. and have been up all day. I tried going to sleep and think I may have fallen asleep for about an hour around noon Saturay but might have just been lost in thought while laying there aimlessly. So now it's about 2 a.m. Sunday and I still am not able to sleep despite being physically and mentally exhuasted.

Just like last time, when I lay down and close my eyes to go to sleep, nothing seems to happen. I have this kind of numb sensation in my head and it seems like I have difficulty drawing up hypnogogic imagery. About an hour ago I took a 5 mg melatonin supplement and it seems to be having no effect.

Some other symptoms I'm experiencing are an upset stomache but I think that has more to do with what I had to eat earlier this evening. Also I had I mild panic attack when I realized I wasn't falling asleep. My mouth became dry, my skin became sensative to temperature, for instance my air conditioning felt really cold all of a sudden and then I went outside to the heat and began sweating excessively.

I've taken two blotter hits everytime I've done it. I've always gotten it through people I know but not the same source each time. Also this time and last time, the other people that did it with me also did the same blotter I did. None of them had this experience so it seems to be just me. They were all able to sleep fine and nothing seems be wrong for them.

I'm completely exhuasted, frustrated and just want to go to sleep. So I'm asking LSD users if they have similar experiences? Is this a common problem? I've heard about people staying up a few days at a time from tripping but it always seems like this was due to taking a larger dose. Please share any advice that may aide me with my sleep troubles. I will likely not be doing this again since this seems to be a reoccuring problem.
Disclaimer:

All these thoughts,
words arranged in this message,
come from the Tao
and return to the Tao.
Yet they do not touch it.
Each of us will perceive the message,
Yet to each our own interpretation.

I'll see you when the river meets us

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

kleopatra
#2 Posted : 7/8/2012 7:36:13 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Get some valium or xanax! I always have some on hand when I'm using any sort of stimulating drug. No risk of physical dependence if you use in moderation.

corpus callosum
#3 Posted : 7/8/2012 7:49:11 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Medical DoctorModerator

kleopatra wrote:
Get some valium or xanax! I always have some on hand when I'm using any sort of stimulating drug. No risk of physical dependence if you use in moderation.

^^The benzodiazepines are ideal for this purpose and are a very useful class of compound to have access to.For most people, the risk of addiction (both physical and psychological) becomes a real prospect after approximately 4 weeks of daily use.
I am paranoid of my brain. It thinks all the time, even when I'm asleep. My thoughts assail me. Murderous lechers they are. Thought is the assassin of thought. Like a man stabbing himself with one hand while the other hand tries to stop the blade. Like an explosion that destroys the detonator. I am paranoid of my brain. It makes me unsettled and ill at ease. Makes me chase my tail, freezes my eyes and shuts me down. Watches me. Eats my head. It destroys me.

Mandukeya
#4 Posted : 7/8/2012 8:00:55 AM

Shamanic Engineer

I prefer doing acid around lunchtime. This way I'm not exhausted on the tail of the trip but can enjoy it.

I find that if I get too exhausted (with or without substances) I have trouble sleeping. I think it's because the more exhausted, the more sensitive to stress I get and it's quite easy to get stressed by not fading into sleep like you would normally.

Weed works fine for me, but if you aren't already into it, I wouldn't advice it since I find that if I smoke during/after the trip I don't get days of sweet afterglow. Also of course it will make the memories foggier which means less benefit from the trip.

Wax
#5 Posted : 7/8/2012 8:24:45 AM

LUVR

DMT Psychonaut wrote:
I layed there for hours with my eyes closed just trying to fall asleep. After so long I'd become lost in thought almost like dreaming, but awake, and everytime I heard the sleightest noise around me I'd become aware of my surroundings and realize I wasn't asleep.

This is what my sleeping habits are like everyday, I can only sleep well if I smoke cannabis a few hours before bed or if I physically wear myself out. I know the exact feeling of not being able to turn off your brain, it sucks. The only thing I can recommend is smoking cannabis, unless you don't normally, or trying to meditate. Meditate on your breath, you don't have to do anything special just breathe normally and focus on every place you can feel your breath, if your mind wanders just bring it back to your breath. If you can keep this going long enough you will slip into sleep, but it is somewhat difficult to keep focused.

I've smoked my last bit of mj yesterday so I'm in the boat with you right now Smile Oh and another thing that seems to work occasionally is to listen to music on headphones until you can't anymore, then take them off and try to sleep. Also I've had a bit of luck with herbal sleeping teas, you can get stuff with valarian and some other herbs I can't remember right now that works OK. Good luck my friend.
'Little spider weaves a wispy web, stumblin' through the woods it catches to my head. She crawls behind my ear and whispers secrets. Dragonfly whiz by and sings now teach it.'

VoidTraveler
#6 Posted : 7/8/2012 3:33:07 PM

Traveler's pet cactus

Senior Member | Skills: Harm reduction

I usually have trouble sleeping too after acid. I usually ease that with copious amounts of hash but that in turn also brings the trip back. I sometimes still see visuals 24 hours after taking acid so it could be that you're still tripping, especially considering the dream state.

Benzos are helpful but there are solutions less damaging or addictive. Melatonin works well in doses of around 1.0mg and is also a powerful antioxidant and tea brewed from mulungu can help relaxing.
The spice extends life.
The spice expands consciousness.
The spice is vital to space travel.

Mister_Niles
#7 Posted : 7/8/2012 3:48:12 PM

DMT-Nexus member

VoidTraveler wrote:
Melatonin works well in doses of around 1.0mg and is also a powerful antioxidant and tea brewed from mulungu can help relaxing.

Melatonin really works for sleep at the end of an acid trip? You've done it?
Welcome Home Mister_Niles. We've Been Waiting For You.

"Don't worry. When it happens, you won't be able to not let it do its thing. You won't have the ability to distinguish a pen from a hippopotamus"
- Art Van D'lay

soulfood
#8 Posted : 7/8/2012 4:44:09 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Senior Member | Skills: DMT, Harmaloids, Bufotenine, Mescaline, Trip advice

Mandukeya wrote:

I find that if I get too exhausted (with or without substances) I have trouble sleeping. I think it's because the more exhausted, the more sensitive to stress I get and it's quite easy to get stressed by not fading into sleep like you would normally.

Nice!

This is good advice I can even integrate into my non-tripping life.

This second wind syndrome has caused me years of problems and it's something I need to be more disciplined with.

Not having access to valium or the like and having no luck with valerian, I have on occasion used etizolam, but I find this can knock me out for longer than is convenient and Id much rather get to sleep naturally.

Talking psychedelic though, I like to dose any long lasting substance as close to waking up as possible. I also find even with shorter acting substances I prefer taking them in the morning anyway eg. having a morning cup of prepared pharmahuasca by my bed I can drink and stay in bed for a few more hours. This way I have less complications with fasting and I also seem less anxious dosing at this time of the day.

Dethrone
#9 Posted : 7/8/2012 5:02:07 PM
DMT-Nexus member

For me a low dose 1-2 hits makes it harder to sleep than a high dose 4+ hits.My brother mentioned to me it was the same for him.To me it seems the harder I trip the more tired I am after.

Not really a solution just something I noticed.

entheogenadvocate
#10 Posted : 7/8/2012 5:09:23 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Mister_Niles wrote:
VoidTraveler wrote:
Melatonin works well in doses of around 1.0mg and is also a powerful antioxidant and tea brewed from mulungu can help relaxing.

Melatonin really works for sleep at the end of an acid trip? You've done it?

I've taken 3 mgs of melatonin after an LSD trip and it helps.

My other method is simply to take incessant bong rips and meditate in the shower.

Good luck.
All posts are completely fictional and for educational purposes only

DMT Psychonaut
#11 Posted : 7/8/2012 5:29:11 PM

Witness to Humanity

Well a couple hours after posting this and waiting for advice, I finally crashed. Thanks for all the advice. I guess the acid just finally wore off and I tried meditating a little and I think it helped calm me down. I wasn't able to smoke cannabis at the moment. If I decide to do this again I'll try some of these remedies. Thanks for the help and advice Nexians

Peace
Disclaimer:

All these thoughts,
words arranged in this message,
come from the Tao
and return to the Tao.
Yet they do not touch it.
Each of us will perceive the message,
Yet to each our own interpretation.

I'll see you when the river meets us

nexalizer
#12 Posted : 7/8/2012 11:16:45 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I have little to add except "me too". It doesn't appear to matter if I eat the acid at 9AM, noon, or 6PM - that night I won't be getting any sleep until 4-6AM.. exactly like you describe, just lying down with eyes closed, no thoughts (in the beginning hours of the night, racy thoughts.. but then it calms down), just awareness.
This is the time to really find out who you are and enjoy every moment you have. Take advantage of it.

joedirt
#13 Posted : 7/8/2012 11:22:00 PM

Not I

Yep me to. I rarely fall a sleep on the same day I eat acid...like nexalizer it doesn't matter if it's 9am or 9pm.

Peace.
If your religion, faith, devotion, or self proclaimed spirituality is not directly leading to an increase in kindness, empathy, compassion and tolerance for others then you have been misled.

Ice House
#14 Posted : 7/9/2012 12:03:49 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Moderator | Skills: Sustainable growing

4mgs of klonopin about 1hr before I want the trip to end and I want to be asleep.

Works like a charm, every single time.
Ice House is an alter ego. The threads, postings, replys, statements, stories, and private messages made by Ice House are 100% unadulterated Bull Shit. Every aspect of the Username Ice House is pure fiction. Any likeness to SWIM or any real person is purely coincidental. The creator of Ice House does not condone or participate in any illicit activity what so ever. The makebelieve character known as Ice House is owned and operated by SWIM and should not be used without SWIM's expressed written consent.

jamie
#15 Posted : 7/9/2012 2:48:08 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expert | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growingSenior Member | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growing

I dont work with LSD, but I do take mescaline rarely and that has given me this same problem. I just can not go to sleep that night..I am always left with some kind of lingering stimulation. I just try to dose in the morning real early and maybe have some melatonin at night. I would never take pharma benzos to go to sleep after a trip but many other peopel do find them useful. Passionflower tea might help also.
Long live the unwoke.

acacian
#16 Posted : 7/9/2012 4:52:33 AM

DMT-Nexus member

yeah i find this as well.. and i also find with LSD that it takes a lot longer to adjust to normal reality afterwards. its a slower transition than something like mushrooms. mescaline often lingers for days for me

Purges
#17 Posted : 7/9/2012 10:25:18 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Lots of weed and / or 1-2 Valium do the trick for me. Valium is also handy if anyone starts having a bad freakout, I don't take acid unless I have a few handy....
Lose Control, Free My Soul, Break Me Open, Make Me Whole.
"DMT kicked my balls off" - od3

Pup Tentacle
#18 Posted : 7/9/2012 1:38:46 PM

lettuce

I second the LOTS of WEED plan. I've always used it, and it works as well as anything, but I've also always approached LSD thinking it would be a LONG time till sleep came.
Pup Tentacle

You are precisely as big as what you love and precisely as small as what you allow to annoy you.
Robert Anton Wilson
Mushroom Greenhouse How-To
I'm no pro but I know a a few things - always willing to help with Psilocybe cubensis cultivation questions.

polytrip
#19 Posted : 7/9/2012 1:54:40 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Location: A speck of dust in endless space, like everyone else.
All of the classic hallucinogens have this effect to some extent, except maybe DMT because of it's short duration. Classic hallucinogens diminish serotonergic activity in the brain. Serotonin is the precursor for melatonin. So there's probably a relationship between this diminished serotonergic activity and the effects on sleep.

When i take LSD or mescaline, i always just skip a night. I just know that i'm not gonna fall asleep for the next many hours anyway.

Hiyo Quicksilver
#20 Posted : 7/9/2012 6:56:49 PM

just some guy

Taking a light valium and smoking weed until it takes effect is pretty much always effective, even on HUGE doses (minus the weed in that case). Sometimes LSD lingers for a loooong time, and while you may not be tripping very much if at all, sometimes it lingers for an entire day. No worries, just something to be mindful of for next time.

12NEXT