We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
What’s the methanol/ethanol azeotrope? Options

69ron
#1 Posted : 1/28/2009 2:24:52 PM

DMT-Nexus member

What’s the methanol/ethanol azeotrope? I can’t find it listed anywhere. Is it 50:50? Also, what's the boiling temperature?
You may remember me as 69Ron. I was suspended years ago for selling bunk products under false pretenses. I try to sneak back from time to time under different names, but unfortunately, the moderators of the DMT-Nexus are infinitely smarter than I am.

If you see me at the waterpark, please say hello. I'll be the delusional 50 something in the American flag Speedo, oiling up his monster guns while responding to imaginary requests for selfies from invisible teenage girls.

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

Infundibulum
#2 Posted : 1/28/2009 2:53:00 PM

Kalt und Heiß, Schwarz und Rot, Kürper und Geist, Liebe und Chaos

ModeratorChemical expert

Hard to say the ration.

Azeotropic mixture is supposed to be non-distillable. That is, if one tries to distill azeotropic mixture of methanol:ethanol at 64 C (methanol BP) the vapors will contain equal amounts of methanol and ethanol. Ethanol should boil at 78C, but even at 64C a good amount will evaporate, so it's not easy to separate them

There has to be a formula to calculate ratios, however in an methanol:ethanol azeotropic mixture I would assume much more ethanol than methanol. One could even go about and call it denatured ethanol or methylated spirit. Which makes sense, if a country is to allow methylated spirits on the market (= non-drinkable therefore non-taxable, cheap alcohol) they may as well make it more difficult for people to take the methanol out and make pure spirit.

Need to calculate between salts and freebases? Click here!
Need to calculate freebase or salt percentage at a given pH? Click here!

69ron
#3 Posted : 1/28/2009 3:08:46 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I have tons of info on various azeotropes of ethanol and of methanol with other solvents, but none of them list the methanol/ethanol azeotrope.

SWIM has some denatured alcohol (Klean Strip brand). It’s 45-50% ethanol and 45-50% methanol, with the rest being methyl isobutyl ketone. SWIM didn’t know it was so high in methanol, he was assuming 95% ethanol and 5% other. He’s quite disappointed to find it’s nearly half methanol.

He was going to use this for a cactus extraction based on Poisson’s high yielding tech for San Pedro which uses ethanol in a Soxhlet for the initial extraction, but the methanol content is way too high and so it can’t be used. Nothing less than 90% ethanol should be used.

If SWIM distilled it, how much of the distillate would be ethanol? He’s hoping more than 50%, but can’t seem to find that information anywhere. He has a Vigreux distilling column that’s 400mm which should give better separation. He was hoping maybe in the ballpark of 90% ethanol?
You may remember me as 69Ron. I was suspended years ago for selling bunk products under false pretenses. I try to sneak back from time to time under different names, but unfortunately, the moderators of the DMT-Nexus are infinitely smarter than I am.

If you see me at the waterpark, please say hello. I'll be the delusional 50 something in the American flag Speedo, oiling up his monster guns while responding to imaginary requests for selfies from invisible teenage girls.