We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
«PREV678910NEXT»
Acacia and Mimosa Identification Thread Options

BotanicalTripper
#141 Posted : 8/8/2012 10:47:56 PM
DMT-Nexus member

r2pi wrote:
BotanicalTripper wrote:
r2pi wrote:
My guess for the last two would be A. sophorae (A. longifolia ssp. sophorae) but hard to say from pics. If in a coastal area that would increase confidence.

Northern Suburbs of Melbourne.

Could be A. longifolia but phyllodes look a bit broad and blunt to me, suggesting sophorae. In that area though I'm guessing they would be cultivated, not wild, so anything is possible. A. sophorae only grows low and almost prostrate (1-3 m) but with planted ones you never know how old they are so it's hard to tell.

I was really hoping the first were A . Maidenii . But i'm only new to this. I thought the seed pods might have been some sort of indicator but again, I don't quite know what im looking for. I must have photographed 100 different acacias on my day of tuesday.

A. Obtusifolia, A. Maidenii were the two known to me to contain relavent tryptamines, were there anything else worth while?

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

acacian
#142 Posted : 8/8/2012 10:51:18 PM

DMT-Nexus member

BotanicalTripper wrote:
r2pi wrote:
BotanicalTripper wrote:
r2pi wrote:
My guess for the last two would be A. sophorae (A. longifolia ssp. sophorae) but hard to say from pics. If in a coastal area that would increase confidence.

Could be A. longifolia but phyllodes look a bit broad and blunt to me, suggesting sophorae. In that area though I'm guessing they would be cultivated, not wild, so anything is possible. A. sophorae only grows low and almost prostrate (1-3 m) but with planted ones you never know how old they are so it's hard to tell.

I was really hoping the first were A . Maidenii . But i'm only new to this. I thought the seed pods might have been some sort of indicator but again, I don't quite know what im looking for. I must have photographed 100 different acacias on my day of tuesday.

A. Obtusifolia, A. Maidenii were the two known to me to contain relavent tryptamines, were there anything else worth while?

maidenii is actually quite variable and often devoid of tryptamines...there are some strains which are known to have high alkaloid content too. look in nen's improving acacia info thread for pics

if you live over in western australia acacia acuminata is a good one with high tryptamine content. or back over NSW/vic way floribunda or mucronata are worth looking into

Spice Sailor
#143 Posted : 8/9/2012 3:14:20 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Hey botanical tripper, sorry to be bearer of bad news but the maidenii hopeful in your last lot is definitely A. melanoxylon.

BotanicalTripper
#144 Posted : 8/9/2012 7:23:56 AM
DMT-Nexus member

bricklaya wrote:
BotanicalTripper wrote:
r2pi wrote:
BotanicalTripper wrote:
r2pi wrote:

maidenii is actually quite variable and often devoid of tryptamines...there are some strains which are known to have high alkaloid content too. look in nen's improving acacia info thread for pics

if you live over in western australia acacia acuminata is a good one with high tryptamine content. or back over NSW/vic way floribunda or mucronata are worth looking into

Well in an earlier post we Identified a floribunda? What is the best way to take material without causing harm to the tree?

r2pi
#145 Posted : 8/9/2012 9:45:01 AM
DMT-Nexus member

BotanicalTripper wrote:

Well in an earlier post we Identified a floribunda? What is the best way to take material without causing harm to the tree?

Use the phyllodes (leaves) / small twigs. Just give it a prune and use the prunings.

On the other hand it is said on here that flowering reduces potency so may be best to wait a while.

r2pi
#146 Posted : 8/9/2012 9:56:44 AM
DMT-Nexus member

BotanicalTripper wrote:

The giveaway with that one is the ball-like flower buds in your pic. Maidenii has rod-like flowers.

100 acacias is dedication! I would highly recommend you purchase or borrow from a library, a copy of Costermans' Native Trees and Shrubs of South-Eastern Australia . Not to dissuade you from posting questions here at all of course, just that you may find it helpful to take a little bit of the mystery out of things.

KiwiTraveler
#147 Posted : 8/9/2012 10:23:02 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Spice Sailor wrote:
Hey kiwi traveler, floribunda is a good guess but I think the phyllodes width and size make me lean more toward either A.longifolia or A. maidenii. Or again a possible hybrid containing genetics from multiple species, ie floribunda, longifolia and maidenii. (All known to hybridise with each other.)
Where are you approximately located in aus?

Hey all
I have received the above identification of an Acacia i had the pleasure of meeting, this will be my first extraction and i was wondering if you veterans would attempt to extract from a plant that is possibly Floribunda, A.longifolia, A. maidenii or even a hybrid. My only worry is that it could possibly be an inactive A Maidenii

If its unwise i shall search for a pure Floribunda or if anyone has any other clues as to what the strain may be i would be very thankful.

Cheers

BotanicalTripper
#148 Posted : 8/9/2012 10:41:02 AM
DMT-Nexus member

r2pi wrote:
BotanicalTripper wrote:

The giveaway with that one is the ball-like flower buds in your pic. Maidenii has rod-like flowers.

100 acacias is dedication! I would highly recommend you purchase or borrow from a library, a copy of Costermans' Native Trees and Shrubs of South-Eastern Australia . Not to dissuade you from posting questions here at all of course, just that you may find it helpful to take a little bit of the mystery out of things.

I wouldn't say so much dedication, but I had a self imposed day off and embrace a very high stress job. Getting some fresh air and sunshine was more the objective.. however walking through the reserve made me notice how many different species there are, so I started snapping photos. Which is why the camera shots are trashy iphone quality and not SLR quality.

The first floribunda I found had not yet flowered, so maybe ill take some prunings. Is there a quick way to check for alkaloids?

Had my first experience with some spice the other day, while I was conservative as I am with anything new...It was a eonderful experience that has had an amazingly positive outcome on my mental state. I'm not big on substances, but open minded all the same.

It allowed me to separate materialistic garbage from what I consider important. I think I'd like to go one step further on a high range and take from the experience what I can and move on.

I'll keep searching for something I can attempt to extract from. Everyone's help is welcomed.

Just ordered a copy of the book! Appreciated advice.

BotanicalTripper attached the following image(s):
IMG_1868.JPG (408kb) downloaded 384 time(s).
IMG_1869.JPG (354kb) downloaded 385 time(s).
IMG_1870.JPG (311kb) downloaded 383 time(s).
IMG_1871.JPG (443kb) downloaded 385 time(s).
IMG_1872.JPG (444kb) downloaded 385 time(s).
IMG_1888.JPG (370kb) downloaded 382 time(s).

acacian
#149 Posted : 8/9/2012 10:48:38 AM

DMT-Nexus member

does anyone here know of maidenii hybridising with floribunda?

Spice Sailor
#150 Posted : 8/9/2012 2:16:09 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I've not seen it but due to their assumed close genetics there is a good chance it could happen where the two species occur and flowering times overlap.

(The species is related to A. floribunda and A. longifolia. -http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/maidenii.php

Borris
#151 Posted : 8/11/2012 11:06:25 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I found some mature trees in South-east qld whilst on a walk that I think are a. Maidenii. They are not flowering but do have pods in clusters. I would like to take some seeds to attempt fostering some new growth or spread to others since these are rare.
Wondering if anyone can help with ID of the plants...

Borris attached the following image(s):
photo.JPG (206kb) downloaded 319 time(s).
photo2.JPG (92kb) downloaded 317 time(s).
photo3.JPG (326kb) downloaded 313 time(s).
photo4.JPG (246kb) downloaded 315 time(s).

Spice Sailor
#152 Posted : 8/11/2012 10:42:21 PM

DMT-Nexus member

There is no way to be 100% without seeing the flowers.

If you search (forum search tool) for "maidenii and melanoxylon similarities" there are a few posts in the Acacia info thread discussing how difficult it is to differentiate between the two species. (There are pictures giving examples of each)

Reason for this being that both trees have thin, coiled seed pods, phyllodes that can look identical, and both occur in the same areas all over the east coast of Australia.

Plasma
#153 Posted : 8/14/2012 9:18:18 AM

DMT-Nexus member

hey guys i was wondering if any of these are dmt containing acacias

thanks Very happy

Seldom
#154 Posted : 8/14/2012 11:08:20 AM

Wiradjuri

i also second the id request on the first one in Plasma's ^ post

r2pi
#155 Posted : 8/14/2012 11:06:47 PM
DMT-Nexus member

The top one looks like the A. boormanii I have in my garden and have found in a few others locally (cultivated). But there are probably lots of similar species out there so don't take that as gospel! See if it matches the descriptions

http://plantnet.rbgsyd.n...p;lvl=sp&name=Acacia~boormanii

http://www.worldwidewatt...iesgallery/boormanii.php

Plasma
#156 Posted : 8/15/2012 6:50:24 AM

DMT-Nexus member

r2pi wrote:
The top one looks like the A. boormanii I have in my garden and have found in a few others locally (cultivated). But there are probably lots of similar species out there so don't take that as gospel! See if it matches the descriptions

http://plantnet.rbgsyd.n...p;lvl=sp&name=Acacia~boormanii

http://www.worldwidewatt...iesgallery/boormanii.php

i looked up that A. boormanii and the location i found it at doesnt really match where these plants are apparently supposed to be grown, but it does look very similar, could it be planted there by someone perhaps? does it contain dmt? thanks by the way Smile

r2pi
#157 Posted : 8/15/2012 7:39:11 AM
DMT-Nexus member

A. boormanii is very common in cultivation - so if it's in a spot where it was probably planted by someone, then it could well be. Otherwise -- dunno, maybe someone else can help. If in NSW or nearby you could try keying it out.

http://plantnet.rbgsyd.n...p;lvl=gn&name=Acacia

Info on alkaloids is compiled in this thread -

https://www.dmt-nexus.me...aspx?g=posts&t=23472

Can't see anything there on A. boormanii. Here's your opportunity to do some experimental science Smile.

nen888
#158 Posted : 8/15/2012 11:07:13 PM
member for the trees

Acacia expert | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, CounsellingExtraordinary knowledge | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, CounsellingSenior Member | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, Counselling

..hey everyone..great to see the interest and appreciation of these marvelous life-forms..Smile

i wanted to get back to bricklaya's interesting photo suite a while back, but first..

Botanical Tripper post#135:
..looks like you have melanoxylon, as Spice Sailor said, followed by perhaps falcata, and then yes, as r2pi suggested, a form of longifolia/sophorae..
there's some great acacia-eyes in here..!

Plasma #151..the second pic looks like you have a form of longifolia, but a potentially very desireable form (see Acacia info thread index)

..and Borris #149..that indeed could be a form of maidenii..if it had spike flowers..if it had globose (ball shaped) flowers it would probably be implexa..

..as far as botanical references go, for a quick first check of ID details i would recommend http://www.worldwidewattle.com/

and for the dedicated and determined (and cashed up) the ultimate reference is the Acacia volume of the Flora Of Australia (the official Botanical book), see below..about $400 US from memory, comes with photo CD-ROM..
next, i'll get back to bricklaya..Smile
nen888 attached the following image(s):
Flora_of_australia.jpg (30kb) downloaded 245 time(s).

acacian
#159 Posted : 8/16/2012 10:21:18 AM

DMT-Nexus member

theres a few longifolia round the neighbourhood that look like the same strain as plasma's second photo. this is exciting might have to do an extract on some leaves/stem

look forward to your diagnosis nen. still baffled about that first photo what that might be.. cant remember off the top of my head the tree you suspected it to be but it turned out not to be the one due to having a central main vein

qwer
#160 Posted : 8/16/2012 2:17:51 PM
DMT-Nexus member

i have pretty much sorted everything out for making an ayahuasca analog.
and i am pretty sure i found a acacia floribunda near were i live that i am planning to use the bark of.

but i want to make sure i am definataly sure that it is acacia floribunda, because i have heard that some of the similar looking trees can be poisenous. and because it is ayahuasca i will be getting everything out of the bark, so if something is harmfull in there i will probly get it. i am going to try find a book to use to help identify it.

but can anyone help me, what should i look for to identify it?
should i upload pics of it?
and also i am pretty sure it will be fine, but i was thinking maybe it could be the right tree and have dmt but it could aso have something else that is bad. has anyone used this for ayahuasca or can say that it is safe to use for it?

«PREV678910NEXT»