We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
12NEXT
Light bulb vs weed sandwich Options

spiceitup
#1 Posted : 6/12/2012 11:05:14 AM

DMT-Nexus member

So after reading how freebasing is the ideal way to smoke DMT I decided to craft a (I'm on a budget...) lightbulb vaporizer. After trying this method out, I get nowhere near as far as I would smoking the same amount in my traditional weed sandwich method. Any thoughts on this? I am guessing that my method of smoking more resembles MJ changa maybe?

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

spiceitup
#2 Posted : 6/12/2012 1:36:13 PM

DMT-Nexus member

IMAG0010.jpg
IMAG0011.jpg

Apparently I may not be using my new light bulb piece correctly. The first picture is the pipe I made, the second is the pipe after 2 batches of about 50mg freebase DMT. As you can seen, there are plenty of DMT crystals left in the bulb, so I have to assume my lack of distance with the lut bulb is due to incorrect usage/lighting? I put the crystals in the bottom of the bulb and used a Bic lighter about a half an inch to an inch away from the bulb until the crystals melt and a vapor is seen inside the bulb. Is this correct?

3rdI
#3 Posted : 6/12/2012 2:10:33 PM

veni, vidi, spici

Light bulbs are rubbish for smoking DMT, if your on a budget and can't afford a certain glass vaping device then just infuse your DMT into some herb using IPA, then just smoke it through a bong, its like the sandwich method but better.
INHALE, SURVIVE, ADAPT

it's all in your mind, but what's your mind???

fool of the year

Global
#4 Posted : 6/12/2012 2:58:36 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Moderator | Skills: Music, LSDMT, Egyptian Visions, DMT: Energetic/Holographic Phenomena, Integration, Trip Reports

If the sandwich method is working for you, then by all means stick with it. If not, you may want to search the forums to look up how to make a "machine" which is allegedly cost-effective and does the job pretty well according to a lot of Nexians.
"Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind" - Albert Einstein

"The Mighty One appears, the horizon shines. Atum appears on the smell of his censing, the Sunshine- god has risen in the sky, the Mansion of the pyramidion is in joy and all its inmates are assembled, a voice calls out within the shrine, shouting reverberates around the Netherworld." - Egyptian Book of the Dead

"Man fears time, but time fears the Pyramids" - 9th century Arab proverb

Parshvik Chintan
#5 Posted : 6/12/2012 9:33:41 PM

DMT-Nexus member

if you do decide to go with changa/infused leaf in a bong, the KeyV2 is worth considering.
My wind instrument is the bong
CHANGA IN THE BONGA!

spiceitup
#6 Posted : 6/14/2012 11:01:47 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Global wrote:
If the sandwich method is working for you, then by all means stick with it. If not, you may want to search the forums to look up how to make a "machine" which is allegedly cost-effective and does the job pretty well according to a lot of Nexians.

and

Parshvik Chintan - Posted: Tuesday, June 12, 2012 1:33:41 PM

if you do decide to go with changa/infused leaf in a bong, the KeyV2 is worth considering.

It definitely is...I can break through easily on 25mg of spice with the weed sandwich method (using a proper lighting technique). But I'm always open to better methods, I just don't have much cash at the moment. "The Machine" seems sweet, but more difficult to make than the KeyV2 that Parshvik recommends.

Parshvik- this is the second time you have mentioned this to me, and after reading the tek on constructing the piece, I am going to make one. It seems like the most cost effective way to vaporize spice.I went to a small hardware store near my place in SF, but they did not have the parts. I will check a couple other stores around here soon and try this vaporizer out. Thanks!

P.S. How do you quote multiple posts in one reply?

Global
#7 Posted : 6/14/2012 12:13:28 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Moderator | Skills: Music, LSDMT, Egyptian Visions, DMT: Energetic/Holographic Phenomena, Integration, Trip Reports

spiceitup wrote:

P.S. How do you quote multiple posts in one reply?

You'll notice that as when you hit the quote button, it uses the formation "quote=name" in brackets concluded by "/quote" in brackets. You can just type this out yourself. So if you wanted to quote both Parshvik and I, you would do something like

quote=Global

blah blah blah

/quote

quote=Parshvik Chintan

more blahs

/quote

...making sure to include the brackets.
"Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind" - Albert Einstein

"The Mighty One appears, the horizon shines. Atum appears on the smell of his censing, the Sunshine- god has risen in the sky, the Mansion of the pyramidion is in joy and all its inmates are assembled, a voice calls out within the shrine, shouting reverberates around the Netherworld." - Egyptian Book of the Dead

"Man fears time, but time fears the Pyramids" - 9th century Arab proverb

spiceitup
#8 Posted : 6/14/2012 12:43:12 PM

DMT-Nexus member

oh cool, I tried something similar but didn't put the /quote at the end, so that must be why it didn't work. Thanks!

acacian
#9 Posted : 6/14/2012 1:37:20 PM

DMT-Nexus member

yeah the sandwich method does work well, especially if you hold the lighter higher up so it doesn't touch the plant material..and don't keep the flame over the ember the whole time pulling the cone. just get the ember so its roasting sufficiently on its own and let it do the work. Personally I find weed clouds the experience a bit and can add slightly unpleasant overtones to the experience, but thats just me..

I'll reiterate what others have said here.. try making some changa.... changa is great because it doesn't really require as careful vaporisation you can just light it like a cone of a weed without worrying about the dmt burning. You can also choose the potency you are after with changa. If your after a blend that will break you through in one hit, try making anything from 35:65 to 50:50 ... with a 50:50 blend start with very small cones so you can find where it hits the spot.. generally shouldn't need a full packed cone with it

i find adding caapi to it can add a much more earthbound vibe too. the visions i have from caapi blends of changa often have a less alien and more earthy jungian vibe. But hey that could just be my subconscious associating it with amazonian shamanism.. spice never ceases to surprise me Smile ...but yeah i've had some really profound experiences with some changa blends which feel a lot different to freebase. will never forget a trip i had where i took quite a large hit from a bong of changa made with caapi leaf and vine and as I blew the smoke out this majestic amazonian looking shaman being emerged from the patterns which were forming around me and slowly came closer to me, puffing from this little pipe and blowing a smokey looking substance through me, beckoning me to surrender. at the time of this trip i was 100% convinced that this being was a shaman somewhere maybe on the other side of the globe that came across me in those realms.. that really is what it felt like to me... perhaps I'll never know

spiritual7pioneer
#10 Posted : 6/14/2012 4:22:33 PM

DMT-Nexus member

The light bulb method is the best. HOWEVER, I would not recommend using an actual light bulb.
Go to your local smoke shop and ask for an "oil burner" aka a crack pipe.
Its about 5 dollars and it works like a charm if you use a torch lighter, for a bic just cannot
do the job too well if you don't know what you're doing.
"I'll tell you what hermits realize. If you go off into a far, far forest and get very quiet, you'll come to understand that you're connected with everything."
― Alan Watts
“As long as you have certain desires about how it ought to be you can't see how it is.”
― Ram Dass
“Everything changes once we identify with being the witness to the story, instead of the actor in it.”
― Ram Dass

spiceitup
#11 Posted : 6/14/2012 6:28:49 PM

DMT-Nexus member

The light bulb is the best, huh? Why does twice as much spice get me half as far as half the amount in my traditional weed sandwich method then? Am I not using the light bulb correctly? What I do is pour however much spice into the bulb then hold a Bic lighter an inch or more below the bulb to vaporize the spice. I just never get very far by doing this...

gibran2
#12 Posted : 6/14/2012 7:19:21 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expertSenior Member

spiritual7pioneer wrote:
The light bulb method is the best. HOWEVER, I would not recommend using an actual light bulb.
Its about 5 dollars and it works like a charm if you use a torch lighter, for a bic just cannot

The light bulb method is among the worst ways to vaporize DMT.

In such a device, DMT is heated by conduction, where it is subject to pyrolysis and degradation. Any method that heats DMT via convection is far superior.

I wonder how many devices/methods you’ve actually tried?
gibran2 is a fictional character. Any resemblance to anyone living or dead is purely coincidental.

SnozzleBerry
#13 Posted : 6/14/2012 8:10:21 PM

omnia sunt communia!

Moderator | Skills: Growing (plants/mushrooms), Research, Extraction troubleshooting, Harmalas, Revolution (theory/practice)

spiceitup wrote:
The light bulb is the best, huh? Why does twice as much spice get me half as far as half the amount in my traditional weed sandwich method then?

To be fair, he said the light bulb method with a crack pipe...and yes, it can be a very effective method if you have the technique down to a 't'. However, as gibran points out, conduction is inferior to convection and the GVG beats all Razz

A real light bulb will fail 100% of the time as the spice runs away from the flame and you will not adequately vaporize enough for a real experience unless you were to dump a mountain of dmt in there, at which point you would be wasting most of it anyway...so don't waste your time with a light bulb.
WikiAttitudeFAQ
The NexianNexus ResearchThe OHT
In New York, we wrote the legal number on our arms in marker...To call a lawyer if we were arrested.
In Istanbul, People wrote their blood types on their arms. I hear in Egypt, They just write Their names.
גם זה יעבור

anrchy
#14 Posted : 6/14/2012 8:38:31 PM

DMT-Nexus member

gibran2 wrote:
spiritual7pioneer wrote:

The light bulb method is among the worst ways to vaporize DMT.

In such a device, DMT is heated by conduction, where it is subject to pyrolysis and degradation. Any method that heats DMT via convection is far superior.

I wonder how many devices/methods you’ve actually tried?

The light bulb method is the worst? How is it that you can say this? You can still heat DMT too much using a GVG. And with my design the DMT cannot go anywhere when it is in liquid form.

With a GVG you can lose the DMT 2 ways:

While in a liquid form gravity and suction can pull it down and out of your mesh disc.
You can burn it using too much heat, although it is much more difficult to achieve this compared to conduction vaporization.

With a bulb style vaporizer you lose DMT 1 way:

Too much heat will burn the spice.

With a lightbulb style vaporizer you HAVE to find the correct distance using a TORCH.

Place your crystals in the bulb, then use a bic lighter to GENTLY melt the crystals so that when you inhale you dont inhale or spread out the crystals. As soon as they are almost completely liquid STOP using a bic lighter.

Ignite your torch and start at a distance of 8 inches. Different torches put off different amounts of heat thats why I say 8 inches. Start out SLOWLY increasing distance using 10 second intervals and moving 1/4 of an inch at a time until you find your DMT vaporizing. That takes patience.

As soon as you find your DMT vaporizing you have found the beginning spot. You want to slowly move closer about 1-2 inches until about half of your DMT is vaporized then slowly start to back off to the beginning spot. This take EXPERIENCE as to know how fast it vaporizes. If you do any of this too fast or too close you will burn some of your DMT, Too slow and you wont vaporize it all.

Using a bong and this stlye I believe makes it easier to achieve single inhalation of your entire dose, allowing you too hold the entire amount in until you leave body.

The GVG does have its portability, and looks great. If used properly gets you where you want. I like my bong vaporizer due to the fact I can take 45mg in ONE inhalation (although I am scared to do this again yet, it was too intense). Even at 30mg you dont remember exhaling.

Open your Mind () Please read my DMT vaping guide () Fear is the mind killer

"Energy flows where attention goes"

[Please review the forum Wiki and FAQ before posting questions]

anrchy
#15 Posted : 6/14/2012 8:43:21 PM

DMT-Nexus member

spiceitup wrote:
The light bulb is the best, huh? Why does twice as much spice get me half as far as half the amount in my traditional weed sandwich method then? Am I not using the light bulb correctly? What I do is pour however much spice into the bulb then hold a Bic lighter an inch or more below the bulb to vaporize the spice. I just never get very far by doing this...

Problems:

Bic Lighter
Lightbulb

Lighters are inefficient at vaporization. Hence why everyone recommends using a torch for GVG and bulb vaporization.
Open your Mind () Please read my DMT vaping guide () Fear is the mind killer

"Energy flows where attention goes"

[Please review the forum Wiki and FAQ before posting questions]

spiritual7pioneer
#16 Posted : 6/15/2012 6:56:55 AM

DMT-Nexus member

With my oil burner and torch lighter,
one pull will put me into hyperspace no problem.
"I'll tell you what hermits realize. If you go off into a far, far forest and get very quiet, you'll come to understand that you're connected with everything."
― Alan Watts
“As long as you have certain desires about how it ought to be you can't see how it is.”
― Ram Dass
“Everything changes once we identify with being the witness to the story, instead of the actor in it.”
― Ram Dass

gibran2
#17 Posted : 6/15/2012 12:35:48 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expertSenior Member

anrchy wrote:
The light bulb method is the worst? How is it that you can say this?

I can say this because I've tried many different methods and devices over the years, and of all the methods/devices I've tried, the lightbulb is the worst.

I'm not saying it can't be effective - I suppose that throwing a gram or two of DMT in a hot frying pan and inhaling the resultant smoke through a funnel might be effective, but that doesn't make it a good method.

Here are some of the criteria I use to judge a method:

----- Efficiency - only a small dose is needed to reach extreme levels (ideally under 30mg).

----- Speed - if one chooses, a full dose can be vaporized in under 5 seconds.

----- Purity – the method does not burn DMT or alter its composition in any way to any degree. (My GVG has never burned DMT. At higher temperatures it will just vaporize more quickly. It never has a chance to burn if its loaded on a proper substrate such a metal ribbon.)

----- Smoothness of vapor – the vapor should be smooth and without any irritation whatsoever. Ideally, it should be nearly tasteless and odorless. Not much different from inhaling warm air.

----- Single inhalation – some of us prefer a single inhalation not because it’s more intense, but because one doesn’t have to try to take another hit while already halfway to hyperspace. So a method should ideally allow one to inhale a full dose in a single normal inhalation.

----- Ease of use – the method should have a very short learning curve. There are many methods that can be mastered by some over long periods of use, but few that can be mastered almost from the start by many.

----- Minimal waste – after a dose is consumed, there should be little to no residue remaining in the device.

The list goes on, but as I said, the lightbulb method fails in just about every category.
gibran2 is a fictional character. Any resemblance to anyone living or dead is purely coincidental.

Purges
#18 Posted : 6/15/2012 3:54:47 PM

DMT-Nexus member

anrchy wrote:

The light bulb method is the worst? How is it that you can say this? You can still heat DMT too much using a GVG. And with my design the DMT cannot go anywhere when it is in liquid form.

I am quite 'heavy handed' with my torch, and can honestly say that I have never burned any DMT with the GVG... Plus you can't smoke Changa in an oil burner / bulb type set up.
anrchy wrote:

With a GVG you can lose the DMT 2 ways:

While in a liquid form gravity and suction can pull it down and out of your mesh disc.
You can burn it using too much heat, although it is much more difficult to achieve this compared to conduction vaporization.

1. if you set up the scrubber correctly, which takes about 1-2 minutes, this does not happen. Gibran2 was kind enough to do a little pictorial, and thanks to that, I smoked my first dose of DMT from my GVG absolutely perfectly.

2. as said, I am yet to experience this, even when holding the torch directly on the stone...

Just my 2c on the matter. I am reluctant to use any other device for DMT these days as it gets the job done so easily and efficiently(!!!) that there is no desire to try any other method, but I understand that alot of people can't afford the cash for such a device and are in need of a cheaper option - IF I were to try another device, it would be along the lines of the 'machine' / 'inspirator'
Lose Control, Free My Soul, Break Me Open, Make Me Whole.
"DMT kicked my balls off" - od3

zigizigi
#19 Posted : 6/15/2012 4:18:44 PM
DMT-Nexus member

anrchy wrote:

With a lightbulb style vaporizer you HAVE to find the correct distance using a TORCH.

What kind of a torch are you talking about? Torch lighter used for smoking pipes or welding gas torch? I guess it's latter judging on 8 inches distance you suggest. There a also soldering torches with smaller flame size than those used for welding. They all vary in power greatly. Which one exactly do you use?

cosmic butterfly
#20 Posted : 6/15/2012 4:27:12 PM

DMT-Nexus member

i agree lightbulb horrible method, worst of all that i tried. Lightbulbs can be very good for vaping weed if ur on very limited resources, since it can be very efficient for weed not dmt. The problem is that that amount of vapor produced is so small and slow it doesnt vape quickly enough to get a good rip like out of other methods and usually just melts the dmt and most is lost. Because of this could barely reach sub breakthrough levels on it, so got the gvg and never looked back Big grin

12NEXT