We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Evidence for DMT as a potent compound for promotion of learning and memory Options

Nagual
#1 Posted : 6/8/2012 4:10:13 PM

DMT-Nexus member

DMT binds non-selectively with affinities < 0.6 µM to the following serotonin receptors: 5-HT1A, 5-HT1B, 5-HT1D, 5-HT2A, 5-HT2B, 5-HT2C, 5-HT6, and 5-HT7. An agonist action has been determined conclusively at 5-HT1A, 5-HT2A and 5-HT2C.

DMT has been shown to have anxiolytic properties at low doses:

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B15rtFs8hHnfMVpnMUJiYV9DQ3c

The specific serotonin receptors activated by DMT are implicated in learning and memory formation:

5HT system and cognition

5-HT1A receptors and memory

Serotonergic regulation of associative learning (good one)

Serotonin receptors in cognition

Just to verify that DMT is modulating this systems in a way that is conducive to learning:

Effects of LSD on Acquisition, Mainte, nance, Extinction and Differentiation of Conditioned Responses

This link clearly indicates that LSD users learn significantly more quickly, and I would expect the same behavior to hold (or even be more pronounced) in the case of DMT, as it is more specific for receptors implicated in learning and memory. Interestingly enough, those who learn under LSD seem to underperform for a short time when tested without LSD.

Effects of LSD on Learning Conditioning of the Rabbit as Measured by Classical Nictitating Membrane Response This study uses a sub-optimal quantity of DMT (as per the previous link)

Clearly, DMT is capable of increasing the rate of learning and memory formation.

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

tele
#2 Posted : 6/8/2012 4:13:49 PM
Explorer

Interesting articles, I've found this to be true through my own experiences. It can almost be described as a "safe brain booster" at timesLaughing

InMotion
#3 Posted : 6/8/2012 4:54:11 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Senior Member | Skills: 3D programming, Mathematician (if you need help with algebra to differential equations I'm available), SKilled Engineer

DMT and many psychedelics have nootropic effects in lower dosages. One hit of changa a half hour or so before a class has time and time again boosted my ability to manipulate ideas and understand concepts on a fundamental level, on the fly.

Neat articles.

Hallucinosis
#4 Posted : 6/8/2012 5:44:48 PM

DMT-Nexus member

those articles are deep. and this takes me back to an idea a friend of mine had on the percentage of mind capacity used when awake vs when asleep and how the effects of dmt could possibly offset those percentages in a beneficial way, i guess he wasn't too far off

Nagual
#5 Posted : 6/8/2012 5:45:34 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Quote:
MT and many psychedelics have nootropic effects in lower dosages. One hit of changa a half hour or so before a class has time and time again boosted my ability to manipulate ideas and understand concepts on a fundamental level, on the fly.

A key point to understand is that the effects on learning and memory are actually dose dependent. The reason you see an inverted U response curve with the dosage of psychedelics is because higher dosages tend to be incapacitating. If it were possible to tolerate higher dosages, the learning effects could be much more pronounced. That is why I stack so many anxiolytics, nervines and nootropics for my 24/7 dosing protocol.

elphologist1
#6 Posted : 6/9/2012 1:43:49 AM
DMT-Nexus member

I know that psilocybin increases my visual perception, at least initially. At the start of a trip conducted inside, I generally find myself cleaning out cobwebs and dust that I don't normally notice at all out of corners of my ceiling. Its not though that psilocybin actually makes my eyes focus any better though. I am nearsighted, and still have to wear glasses in order to see clearly. But it does appear to increase contrast perception. To me its like turning up the contrast on an old TV or monitor. It doesn't necessarily make the picture any clearer or have more detail, but it does make certain things stand out better.

Felnik
#7 Posted : 6/9/2012 6:13:32 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I honestly feel that my ability to think and parse and organize ideas has been perminently enhanced in some strange way.

I can't explain it and I don't understand it . But it seems possible that subtle cognitive changes could and have occured.

We can only really know ourselves to understand when something is different .

I can tell you something has changed in my ability to think .

Almost like processing information is faster.

Seeing and understanding larger chunks of data . Expanded awareness . And multiple simultaneous
Problem solving .

Constant thoughts on future of mankind etc.

Sorry for rambling

The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible.
Arthur C. Clarke

http://vimeo.com/32001208

Sherlockian_Holmes
#8 Posted : 10/7/2013 8:16:03 PM

"What you seek is seeking you."

Have there been any news on the possible use of DMT and related compounds for cognitive enhancing potentials? I cannot PM the people in question here, but I would certainly love if some of you could chime in and expound on your actual experiences. What dose / administration, what combinations, for how long and what actual effects have been noted.

Thanks in advance,
~SH
“Though the modern world may know a million secrets, the ancient world knew one - and that was greater than the million; for the million secrets breed death, disaster, sorrow, selfishness, lust, and avarice, but the one secret confers life, light, and truth.” - M. P. Hall.

Cosmic Spore
#9 Posted : 10/8/2013 1:20:29 AM

☠ ⚡ ☣ ⚠ ☢

InMotion wrote:
DMT and many psychedelics have nootropic effects in lower dosages. One hit of changa a half hour or so before a class has time and time again boosted my ability to manipulate ideas and understand concepts on a fundamental level, on the fly.

Neat articles.

I am glad I saw this. This past weekend I used DMT with some friends at night (clear sky) with a fire safely burning.

Yesterday, (the day after dosing) I thought about posting something about being under the impression that I was thinking better, able to organize my thoughts better, and able to explain things more clearly- while "thinking on my feet" or "on the fly".

Sherlockian_Holmes
#10 Posted : 12/17/2013 9:26:59 PM

"What you seek is seeking you."

Very glad to hear that Cosmic Spore. I personally believe that they do have lasting cognitive benefits consequent to the afterglow that is also reported by many travelers. Usually, after a very good, cleansing trip, I find the benefits remain for at least 2+ weeks.
“Though the modern world may know a million secrets, the ancient world knew one - and that was greater than the million; for the million secrets breed death, disaster, sorrow, selfishness, lust, and avarice, but the one secret confers life, light, and truth.” - M. P. Hall.