We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Ever wonder whats in your peyote extracts? GC-MS analysis Options

burnt
#1 Posted : 1/22/2009 4:11:55 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Extreme Chemical expertChemical expertSenior Member

SWIMs imaginary friend had some extra time and decided to write a theoretical report:

The details of extraction will not be gone into however peyote was extracted with traditional A/B method. The non polar solvent used was either toluene or xylene and the freebase was made into a salt with HCl.

So what is actually in this salt powder?

Here is a theoretical GC chromatogram

burnt attached the following image(s):
cacti chromatogram.jpg (13kb) downloaded 182 time(s).

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

burnt
#2 Posted : 1/22/2009 4:14:43 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Sorry to make excessive posts but I can't figure out how to upload a picture then add text below it so to make it less confusing I will post one picture at a time.

The major peak at 15.6 minutes is theoretically mescaline. Here is the theoretical spectrum.

mescaline spectra.png (35kb) downloaded 177 time(s).

burnt
#3 Posted : 1/22/2009 4:17:02 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Now what about the other two peaks?

The first small one at 16.3 minutes is theoretically Phenethylamine, 3,4,5,-trimethoxy-alpha-methyl. Interesting compound any idea on its activity? I think it might be in PHIKAL.

Below in green is the referance spectrum and structure. And in red is the spectrum aquired. They match pretty good except the 44 is missing but that is a result of theoretically mass spectrum aquisition conditions (what I mean is the theoretical instrument does not measure ions that low for sensitivity reasons). But then again this is just an MS spectrum and the confirmation is not known with certainty. That would require NMR (edited this in as its true).

ref spect.jpg (24kb) downloaded 175 time(s).
actual spectrum methyl mesc.png (3kb) downloaded 175 time(s).

burnt
#4 Posted : 1/22/2009 4:18:56 PM

DMT-Nexus member

And the final peak at 19.3 is unknown. Anyone have any ideas?

unknown.jpg (18kb) downloaded 173 time(s).

burnt
#5 Posted : 1/22/2009 4:22:08 PM

DMT-Nexus member

And just for fun here is what a chromatogram of the xylene extract theoretically looks like concentrated.

You see that the unknown compound is the major peak. Interesting that this compound does not go into salt form as easily as mescaline perhaps its not an alkaloid? There are also two peaks in the beginning which are unknown.

xylene.jpg (13kb) downloaded 172 time(s).

burnt
#6 Posted : 1/22/2009 4:25:27 PM

DMT-Nexus member

To conclude I hope you have enjoyed this theoretically made up report of what kind of compounds are present in a peyote extract after A/B then HCl salting. This goes to show that when you take a plant extract you are injesting more then one compound that may be active, which is why the effects vary from pure synthetic compounds.

Infundibulum
#7 Posted : 1/22/2009 5:08:51 PM

Kalt und Heiß, Schwarz und Rot, Kürper und Geist, Liebe und Chaos

ModeratorChemical expert

burnt wrote:
To conclude I hope you have enjoyed this theoretically made up report of what kind of compounds are present in a peyote extract after A/B then HCl salting. This goes to show that when you take a plant extract you are injesting more than one non-alkaloidal compound that may be active, which is why the effects vary from pure synthetic compounds.

I may add

Need to calculate between salts and freebases? Click here!
Need to calculate freebase or salt percentage at a given pH? Click here!

burnt
#8 Posted : 1/22/2009 5:12:27 PM

DMT-Nexus member

True but there are definately two alkaloids here. And one compound most likely non alkaloidal. Another hint that the 3rd peak is not alkaloidal is the mass is even so it probably does not contain nitrogen unless it has two nitrogens.

http://www.chemcas.com/m...cas/msds88/5688-80-2.asp

This is the only report that could be found concerning the activity of Phenethylamine, 3,4,5,-trimethoxy-alpha-methyl

bufoman
#9 Posted : 1/24/2009 6:39:08 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Chemical expertSenior Member

I would bet that that compound is actually N-Methyl-mescaline. The amphetamine compounds have yet to be found in cacti, the N-methyls are well known in the literature.

GREAT WORK.
Now lets think about that other peak. 2 N does seem unlikely though?????

I guess your friend's extraction tech excluded the phenolic compounds. These are also prevalent in the cacti. but would require a diff tech to isolate, although you could likely pull them by acidifying the basic solution, once the goods have been removed, and extracting with a solvent. But you may get some crap too, so a further purification would be necessary.

burnt
#10 Posted : 1/24/2009 6:43:14 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks a lot for pointing that out. SWIM is not knowledgable on the other cactus alkaloids. Also didn't realize this compound was TMA. SWIM was scouring through Pihkal looking for it but shulgins naming system is sometimes tricky. hehe

As far as the third peak SWIM can look through his friends notes and post some of the library matches. They looked weird though which is normal with these libraries sometimes you just get weird results.

bufoman
#11 Posted : 1/24/2009 6:43:58 PM

DMT-Nexus member

O yes def.
I would like to see the phenolic compounds too!!!

Seriously tell your friend GREAT WORK!! Keep it up.

Check out my post on MDMA like compounds found in cacti.

burnt
#12 Posted : 1/24/2009 6:47:36 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Yes SWIM will get some more info on monday. In the concentrated toluene (or xylene SWIM can't remember) layer he can also look at some of the minor peaks and see what comes up.

SWIMs friend is thinking about screening some cacti species using this instrument but needs time before that data is presented. Also wants to do this with some more dmt plants but needs more samples and time aaaaaah so much to do so little time...

bufoman
#13 Posted : 1/24/2009 6:50:20 PM

DMT-Nexus member

HAHHAA tell him take his time. It is more important to have a small amount of great work than a lot of work you need to redo.
I know I wish they would pay SWIM's for this stuff.

burnt
#14 Posted : 1/24/2009 7:04:11 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Hahha yea SWIMs friend has a phd to do so can't spend all time playing with cacti extracts hehe.

'Coatl
#15 Posted : 3/11/2009 3:47:35 PM

Teotzlcoatl

Very interesting! This shows how mescaline is only one of the compounds that effects you while intoxicated on the Sacred Cactus!
WARNING: DO NOT INGEST ANY BOTANICAL WHICH YOU HAVE NOT FULLY RESEARCHED AND CORRECTLY IDENTIFIED!!!

I am Teotzlcoatl, older cousin of Quetzalcoatl. My most famous physical incarnation was Nezahualcoyotl, but I have taken many forms since the dawn of the cosmos. In this realm I manifest as multiple entities at a single time. I am many, I am numbered. I am few, but more than one. I am a multifaceted being, a winged serpent with many heads. We are Teotzlcoatl.

"We Are The One's We've Been Waiting For" - Hopi Proverb