We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
12NEXT
Olive Leaf Extract as an MAO-B inhibitor? Options

Jamm
#1 Posted : 6/5/2012 11:02:19 PM
DMT-Nexus member

I've searched all over for information, but I couldn't really find anything, except that Olive Leaf Extract works as a selective reversible MAO-B inhibitor.

Has anyone ever tried using it for this? Do you have any info regarding things like dosage and duration?

I may end up doing some experiments with it and small oral doses of Phenethylamine. If you guys have any info though I would be very grateful. If not, I'll let you know my findings (If I ever do try it out).

I guess if you know of other safe, cheap, effective, non-nauseating and easily attainable selective MAO-B inhibitors share your knowledge and experience with them too.

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

Shaolin
#2 Posted : 6/15/2012 8:23:47 PM

Stiletto Stoner

Did you test this ?
Got GVG ? Mhm. Got DMT ?

Pandora wrote:
Nexus enjoys cutting edge and ongoing superior programming skills of the owner of this site (The Traveler), including recent switching to the .me domain name.

I'm still, I'm still Jenny from the block

Simon Jester wrote:
"WTF n00b, buy the $100 vapor pipe or GTFO"

Ignorance of the law does not protect you from prosecution

Jamm
#3 Posted : 6/15/2012 9:07:56 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Not yet. I'm out of town currently and away from my PEA supply. If things go according to plan, however, I should begin tests in about a week.

MelCat
#4 Posted : 6/15/2012 11:05:29 PM

DMT-Nexus member

No dosage/duration info but here's a couple of threads that are somewhat relevant..

https://www.dmt-nexus.me...px?g=posts&m=240295

https://www.dmt-nexus.me...aspx?g=posts&t=23583
Convert a melodic element into a rhythmic element...

Felnik
#5 Posted : 6/16/2012 1:27:00 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Olive leaf is a natural supplement you can buy in health food stores. I believe its made from the leaf of actual olive trees. Don't think that is a source of harmine-like alkaloids

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olive_leaf

then there's russian and autumn olive trees that don't produce olives but do produce small berries with one seed in each. they are considered an invasive species in alot of the U.S

http://en.wikipedia.org/.../Elaeagnus_angustifolia

this is the one that has MAOI 's in it.

I can safely say its true.
The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible.
Arthur C. Clarke

http://vimeo.com/32001208

The Day Tripper
#6 Posted : 6/16/2012 1:31:09 AM

Rennasauce Man

Location: A Pale Blue Dot orbiting a GV2 Yellow Dwarf fusion powered Luminous Ball of Plasma at 30km/s
Quote:

Olive leaf is a natural supplement you can buy in health food stores. I believe its made from the leaf of actual olive trees. Don't think that is a source of harmine-like alkaloids

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olive_leaf

Olive leaf has hydroxytyrosol in it, a potent inhibitor of mao-b according to wiki-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydroxytyrosol

So i think its safe to say they are both maoi's. Razz

But Definitely not harmine like since harmine is more selective towards mao-a.
"let those who have talked to the elves, find each other and band together" -TMK

In a society in which nearly everybody is dominated by somebody else's mind or by a disembodied mind, it becomes increasingly difficult to learn the truth about the activities of governments and corporations, about the quality or value of products, or about the health of one's own place and economy.
In such a society, also, our private economies will depend less upon the private ownership of real, usable property, and more upon property that is institutional and abstract, beyond individual control, such as money, insurance policies, certificates of deposit, stocks, etc. And as our private economies become more abstract, the mutual, free helps and pleasures of family and community life will be supplanted by a kind of displaced citizenship and by commerce with impersonal and self-interested suppliers...
The great enemy of freedom is the alignment of political power with wealth. This alignment destroys the commonwealth - that is, the natural wealth of localities and the local economies of household, neighborhood, and community - and so destroys democracy, of which the commonwealth is the foundation and practical means.” - Wendell Berry

Felnik
#7 Posted : 6/16/2012 2:09:12 AM

DMT-Nexus member

thats great, i haven't heard of anyone using it. I'd love to hear any results from it
The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible.
Arthur C. Clarke

http://vimeo.com/32001208

Electric Kool-Aid
#8 Posted : 6/16/2012 2:57:14 AM

Explorer, Creative and Curious

Sounds like a "collaborative research" type of thing! Pleased
Done: THC - LSD - MESC - MDMA - Shrooms - DMT / Want:Hyperspace travel - World Peace
Respect, intention, meditation, inhalation, observation, analyzation, respect.

Jamm
#9 Posted : 6/16/2012 5:50:16 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Yeah, I made this thread before new members were allowed to post in the "collaborative research" forum, but if a mod would like to change this threads location to there that would be great!

Edit: I PMed a mod to do so so hopefully it will happen.

Jamm
#10 Posted : 6/27/2012 8:54:54 AM
DMT-Nexus member

So I just bought some olive leaf extract, so I should start the experiments soon, perhaps tomorrow.

My capsules claim to have 30mg Oleuropein per capsule, but according to this study, it appears that the amount the manufacturer says isn't necessarily the true amount. So it's good to keep that in mind.

I'm thinking of taking for my first trial 30mg of Oleuropein and then 30 minutes later taking 150mg of PEA. Do you guys have any suggestions, or does that sound like a good start?

endlessness
#11 Posted : 6/27/2012 9:09:46 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Why PEA? What do you expect with this?

Also if it's really a MAO-B inhibitor, you need to take dietary precautions, in case you're not aware yet....

Jamm
#12 Posted : 6/27/2012 9:13:17 AM
DMT-Nexus member

PEA is broken down by MAO-B, so one should feel significant potentiation if taken with an MAO-B inhibitor. I'm using whether or not I feel the effects of a low dose of PEA as an indicator for whether or not Oleuropein is active at that dose as an MAO-B inhibitor.

As far as dietary restrictions go, from what I've read you don't need to worry about it as much with MAO-B inhibitors as you do for MAO-A inhibitors.

endlessness
#13 Posted : 6/27/2012 10:33:46 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Completely the inverse... Tyramine is metabolized by MAO-B, meaning dietary restrictions are very important for MAO-B inhibitors

But why do you want to know if it is a MAO-B inhibitor? Ultimately what use do you see for it, if not for PEA?

Is PEA active in any interesting way? Got any source for the info?

Jamm
#14 Posted : 6/27/2012 11:55:28 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Endlessness, I copied the following from Wikipedia for you. It really clears up a lot of your concerns:

Quote:
Selectivity
In addition to reversibility, MAOIs differ by their selectivity of the MAO receptor. Some MAOIs inhibit both MAO-A and MAO-B equally, other MAOIs have been developed to target one over the other.

MAO-A inhibition reduces the breakdown of primarily serotonin, norepinephrine, and dopamine; selective inhibition of MAO-A allows for tyramine to be metabolised via MAO-B.[6] Agents that act on serotonin if taken with another serotonin-enhancing agent may result in a potentially fatal interaction called serotonin syndrome or with irreversible and unselective inhibitors (such as older MAOIs), of MAO a hypertensive crisis as a result of tyramine food interactions is particularly problematic with older MAOIs. Tyramine is broken down by MAO-A (and MAO-B), therefore inhibiting its action may result in excessive build-up of it, so diet must be monitored for tyramine intake.

MAO-B inhibition reduces the breakdown mainly of dopamine and phenethylamine so there are no dietary restrictions associated with this. MAO-B would also metabolize tyramine, as the only differences between dopamine, phenethylamine, and tyramine are two phenylhydroxyl groups on carbons 3 and 4. The 4-OH would not be a steric hindrance to MAO-B on tyramine.[7] Two MAO-Bi drugs, selegiline and rasagiline have been approved by the FDA without dietary restrictions, except in high-dosage treatment, wherein they lose their selectivity.[2][8]

As for PEA's activity, there have been some studies using it combined with an MAO-B inhibitor (generally selegeline) as an antidepressant, and I believe as well as adhd medication. There are also various forum posts that you can find with a google search claiming that high doses of it with no inhibition creates a short-lived, stimulating "high" that is compared to MDMA by some.

The reason why I'm interested in it is that I'm afflicted with ADD and hate Adderal and Ritalin, and try to stay away from medication unless I really need it. In any case, I want to see if I can use PEA with MAO-B inhibition to help focus instead of Adderal or Ritalin, because it seems much more natural and pleasant. It has been demonstrated that Phenethylamine levels of those afflicted with ADD are lower than normal anyway, so that could be a part of the problem.

Mainly I'm just curious to see what it has to offer.

Also, I'm pretty sure MAO-B inhibitors can be used to potentiate other drugs too (2c series? I'm not sure). I also think one of 69ron's oilahuasca recipes called for an MAO-B inhibitor (though I know that oilahuasca thing is very controversial, particularly around here).

Kazoo...
#15 Posted : 6/27/2012 10:57:29 PM

ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

I wanted to chime in here. i like to drink olive leaf as tea often, it tastes nice kinda woody, but especially when i get sick. its got all sorts of anioxidents and other nice compounds that boost the immune system.

when i was reseaching it i also came up with that interesting molecule Hydroxytyrosol that got me kinda curious. that a paper on the wikip. link mentions where they mesured its activity as a
Quote:
MAO-B with an IC50 of 16.3±1.3 μM.
. and it is present in the olive leaf.

i happened to smoke a tiny bit of dmt after drinking a cup one time and was surprised at how far i went of such a small bit of dmt. but then again dmt surprises me regularly and enhances so much on its own, so maybe it was just coincidence.

the tea or the extract on its own doesnt make me feel "funny" in the least.

but i really haven't done much furthur research with the two of late, so i was waiting a good time for more definitive intentional bio-essay before i reported it. so i donno' try it with dmt and see if its enhances it any, iv wonderd if the extract has has enough to grab a oral dmt dose.

its a nice cup of tea ether way...

I have no idea about mixing it with PEA though...

Sometimes the lights all shining on me, other times I can barely see....

Jamm
#16 Posted : 6/28/2012 5:33:05 AM
DMT-Nexus member

So I am in the middle of my first trial.

I ended up taking 30mg Oleuropein and about 30 minutes later taking 60mg Phenethylamine (both in individual capsules, after not eating food for about 5 hours). I decided not to start with 150mg in fear of it being too unsafe.

It has now been a half hour since I have taken Phenethylamine and I think that I have been feeling the effects. It seems too extreme to be placebo, but I estimate that there is about a 20% chance that it's actually placebo.

I am still feeling the effects though I think they might not be as strong as they were 15 minutes ago. They are too mild to really know for sure.

Maybe for my next trial I will double the dose of olive leaf extract and see if that does anything different.

endlessness
#17 Posted : 6/28/2012 7:26:15 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Thank you for the info Jamm, I stand corrected. I have even edited the FAQ regarding MAOIs and tyramine ( https://wiki.dmt-nexus.m...dication_interaction.3F ) , as well as posted more info on this thread:

https://www.dmt-nexus.me...m=361785&#post361785

Jamm
#18 Posted : 6/29/2012 1:03:33 AM
DMT-Nexus member

No problem endlessness, I'm glad I can help.

I was going to do another trial today, but I figure I should probably space the trials out with at least a day in between so that tolerance doesn't become a factor.

umei5
#19 Posted : 7/21/2012 1:20:02 AM

DMT-Nexus member

hi i live in wyoming and i have about an acre of land just filled with russian olive trees so the more info i can get the better

Jamm
#20 Posted : 9/8/2012 12:25:33 AM
DMT-Nexus member

I finally got around to doing my second trial, this time with 60mg Oleuropein and 60mg PEA. I did eat about 1.5 hours before however.

Results were fairly hard to distinguish from the first trial, probably because at this dosage the effect is very subtle. I will definitely experiment with higher PEA doses from now on.

12NEXT