We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Psilocybin tea + ascorbic acid(vitamin C) Options

psychedelic_cloud
#1 Posted : 5/18/2012 3:30:48 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Hello everyone!Pleased

First of all, this was my first attempt at brewing mushroom tea. After reading about all the success people have had with acidifying their teas with lemon juice, I decided to try a similar method with vitamin C because it has stronger antioxidant properties.

First, I dissolved 500mg of vitamin C into 325mL of distilled water and heated this solution until it began to boil. As the solution came to a full boil, I turned off the heat, let the bubbling subside, and poured it into a glass tupperware bowl which contained 3.5g of chopped psilocybin mushrooms. I put a lid on the bowl to keep the solution as warm as possible and I let it sit for about an hour. I then pulled out the bowl, filtered out the mushroom pieces, and drank the remaining solution.

The taste was actually quite tolerable and the first few sips seemed to send warm tingles down my spine. About 20 minutes after completely ingesting the tea, I started to feel strong vibrations throughout my body. These vibrations escalated to intense visual distortions as well as bright streams of color and patterns that were geometrically similar to those associated with DMT. This "peak" period lasted around about 30 minutes, and the intensity of the experience slowly tapered down until I returned to baseline about 4 hours after ingestion. Along with the quicker onset and the more intense "peak" period, I also noticed that I experienced almost no nausea or physical discomfort. However, during the peak I did begin to feel hot and began to sweat a bit but I'm assuming that was related to the speed at which I drank the tea.. I got a little too excited half way through and kind of just gulped it down! Razz

Anyway... I just wanted to share my experience with you all and express my recommendation of the lemon tek, this method, or anything similar as opposed to simply eating mushrooms.
For anyone not familiar with what the lemon tek is, check out this thread: Lemon Tek Thread

Additional notes/questions:

***To my understanding of this reaction, the acidity of the solution starts the conversion of psilocybin to psilocin and prevents their oxidation. I'm sure it also helps break down the fungal cells more efficiently than water alone. I didn't have a pH meter at the time, but using pH = -log[H+] I found the pH of my solution to be around 2.

***I've read many different perspectives on the heat degradation of psilocybin and psilocin and a majority of sources stress the significance of oxidation and how psilocin is particularly sensitive to being oxidized. (See:Erowid,Erowid Q&A) Since vitamin C has such strong antioxidant properties, would it be okay/better/worse for me to add the mushrooms to the solution while it is still exposed to heat and boiling or will I risk destroying psilocin by doing so?

Any additional comments, thoughts, or questions would be greatly appreciated!

Peace,
psychedelic_cloud

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

Pup Tentacle
#2 Posted : 5/18/2012 4:37:52 PM

lettuce

I tried the lemon tek (with lime juice actually) and have never looked back... it just works soo dang well
Pup Tentacle

You are precisely as big as what you love and precisely as small as what you allow to annoy you.
Robert Anton Wilson
Mushroom Greenhouse How-To
I'm no pro but I know a a few things - always willing to help with Psilocybe cubensis cultivation questions.

psychedelic_cloud
#3 Posted : 5/18/2012 5:07:39 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Interesting! I forgot to mention... upon returning to my solution I noticed that all the bluing on the stem pieces had completely disappeared. Did you experience any reduction or disappearance of the bluing on the stems when placing your mushrooms in lime juice, Pup Tentacle?

Pup Tentacle
#4 Posted : 5/18/2012 5:20:32 PM

lettuce

When I do it, I leave them in the juice overnight and then make honey limeade (I despise refined sugar). But to answer your question, the mushies look like they're fresh after soaking overnight and the bluing DOES seem to be gone.
Pup Tentacle

You are precisely as big as what you love and precisely as small as what you allow to annoy you.
Robert Anton Wilson
Mushroom Greenhouse How-To
I'm no pro but I know a a few things - always willing to help with Psilocybe cubensis cultivation questions.

psychedelic_cloud
#5 Posted : 5/19/2012 12:02:40 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Pup Tentacle wrote:
When I do it, I leave them in the juice overnight and then make honey limeade (I despise refined sugar). But to answer your question, the mushies look like they're fresh after soaking overnight and the bluing DOES seem to be gone.

From what I've read, the bluing on the stems is speculated to be correlated with the oxidation of psilocin... !!!!!!
Perhaps the acidity of our solutions is causing some sort of reduction reaction.. or in other words some sort of reverse oxidation of the supposed oxidized psilocin.. Shocked

or... maybe it is simply the bluing that is reacting with our acids?

However, one thing that we can somewhat conclude is that the presence of an acid in the solution causes the bluing to completely or somewhat disappear. I thought this was very interesting.. as I had never seen the bluing disappear on a mushroom before.

PEACE<3,
psychedelic_cloud