We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
«PREV1415161718NEXT»
The Atheist DMT Experience Options

Crazyhorse
#301 Posted : 9/24/2012 8:33:02 AM

Wide eyed and hopeful

Wouldn't it be interesting if atheists had fundamentally different experiences on DMT than "believers"? Like only seeing abstract patterns and such rather than contact with entities and journeys to other worlds? But it doesn't seem to work that way, what you believe in apparently doesn't matter too much. You're going to get shown whatever you're going to get shown, and pretty much all you can do is put either a rational or spiritual spin on it for yourself when you come back, depending on your preference. Or at least that's how it seems to me.
No direction but to follow what you know,
No direction but a faith in her decision,
No direction but to never fight her flow,
No direction but to trust the final destination.

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

LiquidGlass
#302 Posted : 9/24/2012 8:43:11 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I will say that I have been in some pretty deep places inside myself through the use of psychedelics and practice of meditation. One time I ate way too many geltabs and my experience was reduced to what could best be described as a single cell floating through a vascular like system. I had no consciousness or subconscious, no memery of anything before, it was as if that was all there ever was. We were at a drum circle and apparently I was sitting of by the water and when my friend came to check on me I had the crazy eyes and was babbling nonsense. Coming down was like waking from a dream, I snapped back to reality in an instant, I was standing too, and %100 sober.

What I'm getting at is that prob brought me deeper in myself than ill ever go, and that experience was nothing close to the place that DMT takes. Just sayin . . .

olympus mon
#303 Posted : 9/24/2012 8:48:20 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Moderator | Skills: Tattooist specialized in indigenous art, Fine art, medium ink and pen.

Crazyhorse wrote:

Wouldn't it be interesting if atheists had fundamentally different experiences on DMT than "believers"? Like only seeing abstract patterns and such rather than contact with entities and journeys to other worlds? But it doesn't seem to work that way, what you believe in apparently doesn't matter too much. You're going to get shown whatever you're going to get shown, and pretty much all you can do is put either a rational or spiritual spin on it for yourself when you come back, depending on your preference. Or at least that's how it seems to me.

Interesting thoughts here. I find it quite amazing that I've met the being that called itself God multiple times and I'm an atheist. At first it was tempting to believe in God but after integrating these strange experiences it only reinforced my non belief. I have an open mind but a skeptics heart. If there was a God I think there would be solid evidence for that being. It makes nonsense to me that an all powerful omnipotent creator can exist without ever leaving a single trace. Its illogical at best just plain silly IMO.
I am not gonna lie, shits gonna get weird!
Troubles Breaking Through? Click here.
The Art of Changa. making the perfect blend.

Korey
#304 Posted : 9/24/2012 8:53:47 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Liquidglass,

"Spirituality is the concept of an ultimate or an alleged immaterial reality;[1] an inner path enabling a person to discover the essence of his/her being; or the "deepest values and meanings by which people live."

My use of psychedelics could be considered spiritual with the above definition in mind(Ann Shulgin would have you believe ANYONE involved in taking psychedelics was on a spiritual journey) could be considered spiritual. The only part I don't completely jive with is "immaterial reality" because my personal spirituality is a product of the physical realm, and the ones I have "on the other side" are still reached through complete physical processes.

This doesn't make it any less meaningful to me, it actually makes it more interesting and personal for me. I'm not saying that there ISN'T a "spiritual realm", but I personally believe that for me, if I were to completely embrace the ideology that the "spiritual realms" exist somehow autonomously and that I was somehow reaching ULTIMATE reality purely through the metabolization of a drug, and to allow this to hijack my worldview and be my ONLY worldview, well, I would be too much of a flake to even have explored my mind with psychedelics in the first place.

I'm more comfortable embracing science, and my own personal inner paths to outer space, all the while reminding myself that it could ALL be illusion, and that I probably don't know much of anything, except myself. I can jive with getting in complete tune with myself, and the only word I can use to describe that feeling, that complete oneness with everything which seems to be achieved only when I'm in complete tune with MYSELF, as spiritual.

Peace ;p

edit: that took me forever to write, lol, I'm enjoying about 4 grams of cubes right now Smile

Also, in regards to the post about everyone having similar experiences, I can't remember the person's user name right now, but if I recall he considers himself spiritual but he had never had a spiritual experience with DMT. If you're reading this feel free to chime in Smile
“The most compelling insight of that day was that this awesome recall had been brought about by a fraction of a gram of a white solid, but that in no way whatsoever could it be argued that these memories had been contained within the white solid. Everything I had recognized came from the depths of my memory and my psyche. I understood that our entire universe is contained in the mind and the spirit. We may choose not to find access to it, we may even deny its existence, but it is indeed there inside us, and there are chemicals that can catalyze its availability.”

Crazyhorse
#305 Posted : 9/24/2012 10:09:18 AM

Wide eyed and hopeful

olympus mon wrote:
Interesting thoughts here. I find it quite amazing that I've met the being that called itself God multiple times and I'm an atheist. At first it was tempting to believe in God but after integrating these strange experiences it only reinforced my non belief. I have an open mind but a skeptics heart.

Right, that's exactly the kind of thing I was thinking of. And I think this is the key to answering the OP's original question. He wanted to understand how an atheist could have a transformative experience without it being "spiritual", as if a religious person would see angels and demons but an atheist wouldn't be able to experience something like that and still get something useful out of it, because it would be in conflict with their beliefs.

But I think the difference is all about how the experience is interpreted, rather than the content of the experience itself. Let's say that Olympus Mon had the exact same vision that Eliyahu describes in his "how I got my name" thread. Would this force him to start believing in the objective reality of God and angels, and make him want to read up on all the stories of Elijah? Not at all. Although he might, I'm sure that some "non-believers" have been converted to a more spiritual viewpoint by using psychedelics. But as a person with a strong rational tendency instead of taking it literally he would most likely analyze that "vision" similar to how you would interpret a dream, and think something like "hm, well those 'angels' probably represented my desire for self improvement and personal growth, and those demon things were all the doubts and fears getting in the way of accomplishing my goals. And being told I'm a biblical figure and cheered by the crowd like that might mean I'm feeling a little unimportant and underappreciated in my life right now, I should try to do something about that." And then this understanding could lead him to work harder to achieve his ambitions and get more of the recognition he is lacking in his everyday life, thereby increasing his overall personal happiness and satisfaction. All without any need to adopt a belief in God.

Just as one possible example. Maybe I'm way off base, but that's more or less how it appears to me.

LiquidGlass
#306 Posted : 9/24/2012 10:53:23 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Korey I agree with most of what you said except that definition of spirituality is just one definition and there are several.

Also in regards to the place DMT takes you, I talked with a shaman at burning man who had performed thousands of ceremonies and a some people would question him about being able to access these worlds without the use of psychedelics. While he did agree that through yoga, meditation, and breath work you can reach the states of mind that allow you to experience unifying themes of love, light, and oneness that DMT can experience, but that DMT gains you access to a world not accessible by any other means.

Not sure where im going with this really, just throwing it out there

Happy trails . . .

Eliyahu
#307 Posted : 9/24/2012 11:03:29 AM
סנדלפון

olympus mon wrote:
Crazyhorse wrote:

Interesting thoughts here. I find it quite amazing that I've met the being that called itself God multiple times and I'm an atheist. At first it was tempting to believe in God but after integrating these strange experiences it only reinforced my non belief. I have an open mind but a skeptics heart. If there was a God I think there would be solid evidence for that being. It makes nonsense to me that an all powerful omnipotent creator can exist without ever leaving a single trace. Its illogical at best just plain silly IMO.

By the same token I see no reason why an ultimate creator being should not actively conceal itself. I think God hides from us in order to spurn the process of our natural development. How would the sytem of free will function if God was available to everyone no matter what?

In my opinion God is itself unconditional love in every sense. For what ever reason I believe that certain people choose to put themselves in a position of suffereing in their lives, whether it is a karmic or a deliberate reason..

So if unconditional love was poured down on everyone then it would deny many people the free will for them to choose to suffer. It may sound strange but suffering does serve correctional purposes in life. Consider the fact that the most incredible art, music and literature has been historically produced in the most poverty stricken social enviroments.

I believe the alchemical metaphor that states "the crucible is for silver and the furnace is for gold" says it all about the purpose of suffering in life.

IMO earth is an advanced learning ground. A sort of character building childhood to prepare a soul for the rest of it's eternal existence IMO.

To allow people the free will to suffer of their own choosing is not the only reason for God to hide himself from the world. IMO the spiritual plane is literally a battle ground and God is not unlike a mighty King. In a time of war what King would not desire to have only the most devoted followers enter into his private domain?

Crazy Horse wrote:

Quote:
olympus mon wrote:
Interesting thoughts here. I find it quite amazing that I've met the being that called itself God multiple times and I'm an atheist. At first it was tempting to believe in God but after integrating these strange experiences it only reinforced my non belief. I have an open mind but a skeptics heart.

Right, that's exactly the kind of thing I was thinking of. And I think this is the key to answering the OP's original question. He wanted to understand how an atheist could have a transformative experience without it being "spiritual", as if a religious person would see angels and demons but an atheist wouldn't be able to experience something like that and still get something useful out of it, because it would be in conflict with their beliefs.

But I think the difference is all about how the experience is interpreted, rather than the content of the experience itself. Let's say that Olympus Mon had the exact same vision that Eliyahu describes in his "how I got my name" thread. Would this force him to start believing in the objective reality of God and angels, and make him want to read up on all the stories of Elijah? Not at all. Although he might, I'm sure that some "non-believers" have been converted to a more spiritual viewpoint by using psychedelics. But as a person with a strong rational tendency instead of taking it literally he would most likely analyze that "vision" similar to how you would interpret a dream, and think something like "hm, well those 'angels' probably represented my desire for self improvement and personal growth, and those demon things were all the doubts and fears getting in the way of accomplishing my goals. And being told I'm a biblical figure and cheered by the crowd like that might mean I'm feeling a little unimportant and underappreciated in my life right now, I should try to do something about that." And then this understanding could lead him to work harder to achieve his ambitions and get more of the recognition he is lacking in his everyday life, thereby increasing his overall personal happiness and satisfaction. All without any need to adopt a belief in God.

Just as one possible example. Maybe I'm way off base, but that's more or less how it appears to me

If that were the case I suppose my DMT trips would have no more value than regular deep dream states. I personally see no point in just trying to deny. I feel like telling myself it's not real all the time would get pretty old real quick.

I have had entities straight up tell me that they are real.. What good does it do me to question that over and over?
And why do you look at the speck in your brother's eye, but do not percieve the plank in your own eye? Or how can you say to your brother, "brother let me remove the speck from your eye", when you yourself do not see the plank that is in your own eye?-Yeshua ben Yoseph

Crazyhorse
#308 Posted : 9/24/2012 12:06:11 PM

Wide eyed and hopeful

Eliyahu wrote:

If that were the case I suppose my DMT trips would have no more value than regular deep dream states. I personally see no point in just trying to deny. I feel like telling myself it's not real all the time would get pretty old real quick.

I have had entities straight up tell me that they are real.. What good does it do me to question that over and over?

Sure, YOU feel that way because of YOUR experiences and beliefs and how these chemicals affect YOU. And that's fine. What I'm talking about is how they might affect someone else with OTHER experiences and OTHER beliefs differently, in such a way that they may be able to get at least as much real, tangible improvement in their real selves and their real lives. So how is that denying anything or saying it isn't "real"? I haven't said that these experiences are equivalent to regular dreams at all, I personally believe they are all together different. I'm just pointing out that it is possible to interpret them in a similar fashion and get something meaningful out of it without needing a belief in God.

Also for the record, I'm not saying this is how I personally view these things at all. I consider myself a very spiritual person and have a very beneficial relationship with my concept of "god". This concept just doesn't allow me to see my way as the right or only way, I am forced to consider all perspectives as equally valid. I am not downplaying the importance or personal significance of your vision by suggesting it could be interpreted differently. I'm simply pointing out that it CAN be, and that different people can experience the same thing in very different ways, for the sake of trying to help you understand the thing you said you wanted to know. If you're just going to automatically dismiss any answer that doesn't fit your own way of seeing things, what's the point of asking?

Eliyahu
#309 Posted : 9/24/2012 12:35:15 PM
סנדלפון

Crazyhorse wrote:
Eliyahu wrote:

Sure, YOU feel that way because of YOUR experiences and beliefs and how these chemicals affect YOU. And that's fine. What I'm talking about is how they might affect someone else with OTHER experiences and OTHER beliefs differently, in such a way that they may be able to get at least as much real, tangible improvement in their real selves and their real lives. So how is that denying anything or saying it isn't "real"? I haven't said that these experiences are equivalent to regular dreams at all, I personally believe they are all together different. I'm just pointing out that it is possible to interpret them in a similar fashion and get something meaningful out of it without needing a belief in God.

Also for the record, I'm not saying this is how I personally view these things at all. I consider myself a very spiritual person and have a very beneficial relationship with my concept of "god". This concept just doesn't allow me to see my way as the right or only way, I am forced to consider all perspectives as equally valid. I am not downplaying the importance or personal significance of your vision by suggesting it could be interpreted differently. I'm simply pointing out that it CAN be, and that different people can experience the same thing in very different ways, for the sake of trying to help you understand the thing you said you wanted to know. If you're just going to automatically dismiss any answer that doesn't fit your own way of seeing things, what's the point of asking?

I wasn't trying to be dismissive of your viewpoint I was merley attempting to clarify my position. Your suggetion is a completely valid one and I believe trips could be interpreted in this manner but I just tend to think it would be much less effective.

I view treating your trips as real in the same way I view lucid dreaming.
That is to say I treat my trips as real just as I treat my dreams as real.

I have taken psychedelics in one form or another just about every week for the last 20 years.
Ever since I seriously began considering the idea that my trips contained actual paranormal phenomena (20 years ago) I noticed that it gave me a degree of control over the experience that i never had until I became flexible to the idea that there was something real going on.

I'ts called lucid tripping Very happy
And why do you look at the speck in your brother's eye, but do not percieve the plank in your own eye? Or how can you say to your brother, "brother let me remove the speck from your eye", when you yourself do not see the plank that is in your own eye?-Yeshua ben Yoseph

Crazyhorse
#310 Posted : 9/24/2012 12:43:40 PM

Wide eyed and hopeful

Quote:

I wasn't trying to be dismissive of your viewpoint I was merley attempting to clarify my position.

Ever since I seriously began considering the idea that my trips contained actual paranormal phenomena it gave me a degree of control over the experience that i never had until I became flexible to the idea that there was something real going on.

I'm down with that, sounds good to me. Big grin And again, it's not even my own viewpoint per-se, it's just one of any number of possible ones that might work better for someone with a more rationalistic, logical mindset. I'm sure you can understand that Mr. Spock. Razz

Eliyahu
#311 Posted : 9/24/2012 12:47:29 PM
סנדלפון

Crazyhorse wrote:
Quote:

I wasn't trying to be dismissive of your viewpoint I was merley attempting to clarify my position.

Ever since I seriously began considering the idea that my trips contained actual paranormal phenomena it gave me a degree of control over the experience that i never had until I became flexible to the idea that there was something real going on.

I'm down with that, sounds good to me. Big grin And again, it's not even my own viewpoint per-se, it's just one of any number of possible ones that might work better for someone with a more rationalistic, logical mindset. I'm sure you can understand that Mr. Spock. Razz

NA-noo NA-noo Neutral

Hyperspace Fool
#312 Posted : 9/24/2012 12:50:16 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I think attempting to define spirituality adequately will be just as much of a semantic boondoggle as it was trying to define atheism on this thread. In essence, there are the narrow, strict definitions which are implied in the words themselves and have the longest historical usage... but it is also undeniable that both words have been broadened considerably in the modern time in vernacular usage.

For a lot of people these days, being spiritual amounts to nothing more than a vague sense of morality and perhaps an attraction to the trappings of archetypal spirituality. By the broadest sense of the word, you are spiritual if you burn incense and have a few new age or pop psychology books on your coffee table.

Other people talk about spiritual experiences as being anything that touches them deeply or sheds some insight into their deeper inner workings. By this definition, psychoanalysis is a spiritual experience.

I tend to stick with the stricter uses of the term, and find it odd that people who don't believe in spirit would think that they are spiritual. I think that if you don't accept the existence of immaterial realms, prana/chi, chakrahs/energy centers, or trancendental aspects to reality... what really is the point of saying you are spiritual?

Now, it is possible to be atheist and spiritual in my way of thinking... many Buddhists fall into this category, as do people who practice esoteric spiritual artforms while rejecting any concept of a deity.

But thinking your experiences are spiritual while claiming to disbelieve everything about spirituality? I don't see it. I would say such people have what I will call "profound" experiences which point at spirituality... but then they summarily reject those experiences as not objectively valid and choose to interpret them in a manner that is anything but spiritual.

That is just my opinon... people are free to use the words however they like.
"Curiouser and curiouser..." ~ Alice

"Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders. Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations. But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it." ~ Buddha

Eliyahu
#313 Posted : 9/24/2012 12:59:49 PM
סנדלפון

HF

Maybe you should change your avatar caption to say "WordWeaver". Thumbs up

Korey
#314 Posted : 9/24/2012 7:11:07 PM

DMT-Nexus member

HF, was that post just in regards to me?

If so, I didn't say I didn't believe in spirituality. I'm actually quite interested in transcendentalism and Buddhism at this point in my life. I just don't believe in deities or angels, and the entities I "meet" I consider a part of myself.

Also Eliyahu, I see you constantly saying that entities have told you that they're "real" The word "real" is a little bit confusing here, because to me, the entities are real as well. With the possibility that contact with entities with psychedelics is an internal working, I don't think it makes the experience any less "real."
“The most compelling insight of that day was that this awesome recall had been brought about by a fraction of a gram of a white solid, but that in no way whatsoever could it be argued that these memories had been contained within the white solid. Everything I had recognized came from the depths of my memory and my psyche. I understood that our entire universe is contained in the mind and the spirit. We may choose not to find access to it, we may even deny its existence, but it is indeed there inside us, and there are chemicals that can catalyze its availability.”

Eliyahu
#315 Posted : 9/24/2012 7:56:36 PM
סנדלפון

Korey wrote:

If so, I didn't say I didn't believe in spirituality. I'm actually quite interested in transcendentalism and Buddhism at this point in my life. I just don't believe in deities or angels, and the entities I "meet" I consider a part of myself.

Also Eliyahu, I see you constantly saying that entities have told you that they're "real" The word "real" is a little bit confusing here, because to me, the entities are real as well. With the possibility that contact with entities with psychedelics is an internal working, I don't think it makes the experience any less "real."

But haven't you been implying the psychedelic experience is basically all in your head?

To me that qualifies as imaginary/pretend or am I oversimplifying it?

Hyperspace Fool
#316 Posted : 9/24/2012 8:00:59 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Korey wrote:

I wasn't addressing you specifically... a number of people here have claimed to have "spiritual" experiences while in basically the same breath asserting that they don't believe in any of the basic concepts that underly spiritual matters.

Naturally, as i said, this is fairly subjective... and I apologize if it sounded overly judgmental. Calling something spiritual is not the same as practicing spiritualism and having some spice journeys that touch your sense of spirituality (whatever that may be) does not make one a spiritualist.

Transcendentalism and especially Buddhism are pretty big tents, and much of what is there is quite spiritual. A lot of it crosses over into actual theism. But IMHO belief in deities is not a prerequisite for spiritual experiences, and even believing that it is all an inner experience doesn't make it less spiritual... there is no way to even prove the existence of an external world as it is... and spirituality is all about the inner path to transcendental states anyway.

I find, though, that people who really believe that their journeys are completely physical products of chemistry and neurology... are not really spiritual. There is nothing wrong with having faith in a materialist model of the world... it is just the antithesis of the spiritual model, and is not nearly as solid and rational as people like to think. Materialism doesn't equal rationality, and the spiritual can be extremely logical and reasonable when you get to actually working with it. It may not qualify as a science, but it also works with repeatable experimentation confirming the theorems and formulas passed down by some very smart blokes.

That inner space there is an infinite playground of wonder. Luckily, we don't have to reinvent the wheel.

"Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders. Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations. But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it." ~ Buddha

Korey
#317 Posted : 9/24/2012 8:03:36 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Eliyahu wrote:
Korey wrote:

But haven't you been implying the psychedelic experience is basically all in your head?

To me that qualifies as imaginary/pretend or am I oversimplifying it?

It could "be all in your head." But if it is, why does that make it any less real? I think it is over simplifying it by assuming that it's not meaningful or "real" just because it occurs within one's own mind. I am proposing that is is only happening in one's own mind, but that it is possible that these internal realms one may experience with the help of psychedelics are just as real as consensus reality.

I assume by calling them "real" you're saying that they exist autonomously, and all I'm proposing is that they may exist internally.

URBY
#318 Posted : 9/24/2012 8:04:23 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Traffic... LOTS of traffic... Maakin words up to the Flintstone's tuune.....

Hyperspace Fool
#319 Posted : 9/24/2012 8:08:17 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Korey wrote:
It could "be all in your head." But if it is, why does that make it any less real? I think it is over simplifying it by assuming that it's not meaningful or "real" just because it occurs within one's own mind. I am proposing that is is only happening in one's own mind, but that it is possible that these internal realms one may experience with the help of psychedelics are just as real as consensus reality.

I assume by calling them "real" you're saying that they exist autonomously, and all I'm proposing is that they may exist internally.

It is basically like I was saying above. You can have a viewpoint that these things are all internal and be coming from a spiritual model, a material model, a rational model... or some other view entirely.

The point is more that if you ascribe to a purely material model of the world, then your idea of inner probably means "just neurons" which is a distinctly un-spiritual stance.

Eliyahu
#320 Posted : 9/24/2012 8:31:37 PM
סנדלפון

HF said:

Quote:
Luckily, we don't have to reinvent the wheel.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

«PREV1415161718NEXT»