We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Storing cacti to increase alkaloids Options

Wax
#1 Posted : 5/6/2012 1:45:21 AM

LUVR

I know this is debated but seeing as how the natives do it I'm willing to try.

If one was to store cacti cuttings in darkness for a period of time would there be a chance of mold or rot? If so how would one go about preventing it?
'Little spider weaves a wispy web, stumblin' through the woods it catches to my head. She crawls behind my ear and whispers secrets. Dragonfly whiz by and sings now teach it.'

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

Ringworm
#2 Posted : 5/6/2012 2:55:16 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I don't know about cuttings, but I would let my cactus dry out in the fall and throw them in a pitch black closet until spring with no ill effects. no weird skinny growth, no mold or anything.

just slowly stop giving them water and go from there.
"We're selling more than a cracker here," Krijak said. "We're selling the salty, unctuous illusion of happiness."

D.REYx420
#3 Posted : 5/6/2012 3:41:11 AM

DMT-Nexus member

ill have to try that next year ringworm. its finally about time to bring mine outside in like 2 weeks or so and i cant wait to take cuttings and prpogate this great plant i have.
"we are not human being's having spiritual experiences, we are spiritual being's having human experience's." (Teilhard de Chardin (1975?)

Bezerker
#4 Posted : 5/6/2012 4:34:44 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I stored a tip cutting of Achuma for 8 months. It was left on a wire rack inside my office. I wouldn't store them in the dark away from sight. Some mold gets going on them and things will go to shit really quick. Mine replanted just fine. These are tough little buggers.

I wonder if the cutting is making more goodies(while being stored) or if its gets dehydrated and the goodies are more concentrated.

The bridge between goals and accomplishments....Self-discipline.

Wax
#5 Posted : 5/6/2012 6:57:46 PM

LUVR

^^ I won't be storing it for that long but thats exactly what I was thinking might happen with a cutting.

I don't know maybe some of the alkaloids in the core seep out into the flesh as it sits in the dark and dehydrates?
'Little spider weaves a wispy web, stumblin' through the woods it catches to my head. She crawls behind my ear and whispers secrets. Dragonfly whiz by and sings now teach it.'