We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
L-DOPA Huasca question (Mucuna Prureins A.K. Velvet bean) Options

Eliyahu
#1 Posted : 5/1/2012 2:23:40 AM
סנדלפון

It recently came to my attention that Mucuna Pruriens can be used as an Ayahuasca additive so I picked some up and I have had good effects smoking it while on Aya.
Recently I noticed at the local health store that it's avaliable in the form of a "Standardized" extract....It doesn't say 5X or 10X but it does say there is a minimum of 15% L-DOPA.

So I understand that Velvet Bean contains DMT-Me05 as well as DMT and I'm considering taking a few of these pills while under MAOI conditions.

So i'm wondering if anyone here has experience with combining Mucuna with caapi or rue?

Or perhaps someone can assist me with calculating what a safe dosage of this extract might be?

Thanks!

And why do you look at the speck in your brother's eye, but do not percieve the plank in your own eye? Or how can you say to your brother, "brother let me remove the speck from your eye", when you yourself do not see the plank that is in your own eye?-Yeshua ben Yoseph

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

evil804
#2 Posted : 5/1/2012 3:00:32 AM

DMT-Nexus member

The DMT/ 5-meo content is debated, there is a study floating around that evaluated a few dozen different types of mucuna seeds and found no tryptamines present.

http://web.idrc.ca/Afric...1916-201-1-DO_TOPIC.html

Quote:
A new phytochemical assessment of seeds of 36 accessions of currently used cultivars shows the presence of L-Dopa, but tryptamines were not detected in any of the seeds examined.

the L-dopa may be a nice addition to a brew on its own, though i imagine an RIMA would increase the potency so start with a low dose. im sure someone here has used mucuna as an admixture and can chime in on its effects.

Eliyahu
#3 Posted : 5/1/2012 6:21:01 AM
סנדלפון

Well if the velvet bean has very little or no ME05-DMT that would make me less worried about
overdosing myself....

From my understanding it also contains some form or serotonin.

Thanks for the input -- E.804
And why do you look at the speck in your brother's eye, but do not percieve the plank in your own eye? Or how can you say to your brother, "brother let me remove the speck from your eye", when you yourself do not see the plank that is in your own eye?-Yeshua ben Yoseph

Global
#4 Posted : 5/1/2012 12:38:06 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Moderator | Skills: Music, LSDMT, Egyptian Visions, DMT: Energetic/Holographic Phenomena, Integration, Trip Reports

evil804 wrote:
The DMT/ 5-meo content is debated, there is a study floating around that evaluated a few dozen different types of mucuna seeds and found no tryptamines present.

http://web.idrc.ca/Afric...1916-201-1-DO_TOPIC.html

Quote:
A new phytochemical assessment of seeds of 36 accessions of currently used cultivars shows the presence of L-Dopa, but tryptamines were not detected in any of the seeds examined.

Eliyahu wrote:
From my understanding it also contains some form or serotonin.

Serotonin is also a tryptamine.
"Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind" - Albert Einstein

"The Mighty One appears, the horizon shines. Atum appears on the smell of his censing, the Sunshine- god has risen in the sky, the Mansion of the pyramidion is in joy and all its inmates are assembled, a voice calls out within the shrine, shouting reverberates around the Netherworld." - Egyptian Book of the Dead

"Man fears time, but time fears the Pyramids" - 9th century Arab proverb

NamRa
#5 Posted : 5/1/2012 1:33:27 PM

DMT-Nexus member

One day I made a smoothie with many different herbs.
I had it together with a friend.

Ten minutes after drinking be both found our selfs in this state of calmness, depth and harmony.
We knew it had to be one of the herbs in the smoothie that caused this undeniable change in conciousness

The same night we had a aya sessions.
Our experience was quite boosted.
But we both started to feel pressure in the head, not terrible but noticible.

The day after we had another session, and the same happened, boosted expereince pressure to the head.

I had my suspicion to what herb could have caused this, and after elinimation and trying mucuna by it self it was quite clear.

the smoothy had maybe 0.5 gr of a dry extract 40 % L-dopa.

It's not something I want to experiment with.

Somewhere I found an article about the half life of mucuna, I did not find much info about mucuna and maoi's

Eliyahu
#6 Posted : 5/1/2012 5:10:39 PM
סנדלפון

Yea,
head pressure is never the best. I'll take that into account.

wira
#7 Posted : 5/13/2012 4:52:24 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Christian Ratsch is probably the person who has encouraged the idea of using Mucuna pruriens seeds in ayahuasca analogues, as he was saying so at conferences in the late 90's. This is despite the fact that he hadn't done it, didn't know anyone who had, and was ignoring the high L-DOPA content (predictably a potential hazard with an MAOI), and the obscure alkaloids mucunine and mucunadine (0.025% and 0.055% respectively; as far as I know their structures were never revealed, pharmacology is unknown). As far as I know only one study reported tryptamines from the seeds, and this was only tlc identification and no yields were published. They have, however, been found in the foliage although at low concentrations (from fresh leaves - 0.0064% DMT, 0.003% DMT N-oxide, 0.0025% 5-MeO-DMT, 0.011% bufotenine, choline, and several unidentified indoles). Iso-harmine has also been reported from the stem-leaves. There's one report from the old Entheogen Review of a person smoking the leaves after having dosed with an MAOI, and experiencing a nice mild psychedelic effect. Bear in mind that just because this one study found the alkaloids in low yields, doesn't mean that the species never contains them in greater quantity.
I was very interested to hear about the more recent study failing to find tryptamines in the seeds. Thanks for that!

sleepypelican
#8 Posted : 10/1/2013 6:05:12 AM

DMT-Nexus member

[quote=evil804]The DMT/ 5-meo content is debated, there is a study floating around that evaluated a few dozen different types of mucuna seeds and found no tryptamines present.

[quote]

i had heard about this study done using 30 someodd samples of seeds, and finding no tryps, but i have also heard the leaves contain tryps....
In dreams...I walk with you
In dreams...I talk to you
In dreams...Your mine
All of the time
We're together
In dreams...In dreams