We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Poll Question : Are you a Vegetarian? or do you eat meat? (Poll is closed)
Choice Votes Statistics
I am a Vegetarian and have been all of my life 0 0 %
I am meat eater and always will be 8 33 %
I would like to become a Vegetarian some day 5 20 %
I was a vegetarian but now eat meat now 4 16 %
I am a Vegan (no animal products) 3 12 %
I am a Pescatarian (eat seafood but no meat) 2 8 %
I believe all humans should be Vegetarians and never eat meat 1 4 %
I believe all humans need to eat meat to be heathy 0 0 %
I am a savage meat eater!! give me the meat now! GRRR!!! 1 4 %

PREV12345NEXT»
Vegetarian diet or meat diet Options

joedirt
#41 Posted : 1/8/2012 1:34:48 PM

Not I

Purges wrote:

P.S. I have a bit of a gripe - 'vegetarians' who eat fish. YOU ARE NOT A F%@^ING VEGETARIAN!!! An animal died to provide that meal on your plate, it is meat, it is clearly not a vegetable. Stop lying to yourself and others, you are just a highly selective omnivore, nothing more, nothing less.

I need to come to terms with this as well. Sad

Your point is valid though. A life has indeed died, but if you follow that to it's conclusion then even walking or breathing results in the loss of life of some self replicating organism...Smile

The way I mentally maneuver around this is to say that anything with a nervous system is what I consider to be sentient.
For me the more advanced and organisms consciousness the more wrong it feels to subject them to farming like a plant....

When I do eat fish I try to only buy wild caught fish because at least that is more in the natural order of things.

It is what it is. I wish I could sit atop some moral high ground, but alas I'm just trying to find my own way through this life like everyone else. Along my path I do what I can to try and minimize the damage I do along the way.

Peace
If your religion, faith, devotion, or self proclaimed spirituality is not directly leading to an increase in kindness, empathy, compassion and tolerance for others then you have been misled.

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

endlessness
#42 Posted : 1/8/2012 1:36:10 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Indoril_Nerevar wrote:

Oh but they do

http://iqlift.com/Creatine-Brain-Science.html

the post you sent focuses on cancer,i don't see how that is relative to the study i provided you.And of course it is everyone's choice to eat w/e they like.I don't even judge the tribes that eat their dead family members,its their choice.But people cannot delude themselves by thinking they are healthier because they don't it meat.There are so many complex mechanisms in your body,that you can't even be certain that you don't need something,because it might affect your body in ways you don't even realize.So since we can't be 100% certain,the logical thing to do is eat what we were designed to eat through many many years of evolution.

I think maybe you are the one being deluded that just because you eat meat, you are necessarily healthier or more intelligent. As said before, it depends on many other factors, so you cannot generalize like you did.

You fail to take in account that health is a complex balance that does not involve simply a very specific type of ability that Raven test can measure, which is what the sole paper you provided is based on (even IF that paper did prove anything, which it doesnt, very poor sample)

You use fallacious flawed arguments such as that just because we dont really know the complex mechanism of the body, we should do like old times (I wont even expand here because im sure if you think this through, you can see how flawed it is)

Your study has 45 subjects from one single university (lol at making statistical generalizations from this kind of sample!!!!), while the link provided by joedirt has 8170. Your study uses Raven test as the main measure, which is not the same as IQ measurement (and even IQ measurement is something arguable, but I wont go there now), and measures but a tiny fragment of what human cognition is. The study also has a statistical mistake because it uses ANOVA test to compare placebo vs creatine taking group, and ANOVA should only be used when both groups fulfill parametric criteria, which first of all theres no mention of making variance or normalization tests (necessary to fulfill the criteria), and secondly, it already fails in fulfilling parametric criteria because dividing the horribly small sample of 45 in two makes each group have 22-23 people, and its a minimum of 30 for this kind of statistical analysis. They would have to use something like Kruskal Wallis or Wilcoxon tests, and this would further lower the credibility of this publication.

Also, read joedirt's posts for some further good arguments and publications. And please settle down on the attitude, thats not the kind of way to post in this forum.

joedirt
#43 Posted : 1/8/2012 1:38:34 PM

Not I

Indoril_Nerevar wrote:
joedirt wrote:
Quote:
I do eat meat,mainly because it is essential to the human body.

Im sorry, but you need to go check some facts. This statement is simply wrong. Entire countries of people have been vegetarian for centuries.

From this paper: http://journals.cambridg...ge=online&aid=795568

Quote:

Compared with non-vegetarians, Western vegetarians have a lower mean BMI (by about 1 kg/m2), a lower mean plasma total cholesterol concentration (by about 0.5 mmol/l), and a lower mortality from IHD (by about 25 %). They may also have a lower risk for some other diseases such as constipation, diverticular disease, gallstones and appendicitis. No differences in mortality from common cancers have been established. There is no evidence of adverse effects on mortality. Much more information is needed, particularly on other causes of death, other morbidity including osteoporosis, and long-term health in vegans. The evidence available suggests that widespread adoption of a vegetarian diet could prevent approximately 40 000 deaths from IHD in Britain each year.

Here are a few other key links directly from google scholar praising vegetarianism for treatment of things like rheumatoid arthritis and diabetes.

http://ajph.aphapublicat...bs/10.2105/AJPH.75.5.507
http://www.sciencedirect...cle/pii/014067369191770U

Quote:
Meat contains creatine,which is a nitrogenous organic acid that helps your body muscles build up.

So tell that to this massivly huge vegan body builder.
http://www.veganbodybuilding.com/

Quote:
Moreover,recent studies at the University of Sidney imply that absence of creatine lowers your IQ roughly by 10 points.

Interesting since you didn't provide a link I will provide a link to a recent study showing the EXACT opposite.

http://www.bmj.com/content/334/7587/245.short

Quote:

Abstract
Objective To examine the relation between IQ in childhood and vegetarianism in adulthood.

Design Prospective cohort study in which IQ was assessed by tests of mental ability at age 10 years and vegetarianism by self-report at age 30 years.

Setting Great Britain.

Participants 8170 men and women aged 30 years participating in the 1970 British cohort study, a national birth cohort.

Main outcome measures Self-reported vegetarianism and type of diet followed.

Results 366 (4.5%) participants said they were vegetarian, although 123 (33.6%) admitted eating fish or chicken. Vegetarians were more likely to be female, to be of higher social class (both in childhood and currently), and to have attained higher academic or vocational qualifications, although these socioeconomic advantages were not reflected in their income. Higher IQ at age 10 years was associated with an increased likelihood of being vegetarian at age 30 (odds ratio for one standard deviation increase in childhood IQ score 1.38, 95% confidence interval 1.24 to 1.53). IQ remained a statistically significant predictor of being vegetarian as an adult after adjustment for social class (both in childhood and currently), academic or vocational qualifications, and sex (1.20, 1.06 to 1.36). Exclusion of those who said they were vegetarian but ate fish or chicken had little effect on the strength of this association.

Most Importantly
Quote:
Conclusion Higher scores for IQ in childhood are associated with an increased likelihood of being a vegetarian as an adult.

LOL. Yeah I guess that stupid phd I have should be taken away now that I'm vegetarian...oh and my boss is a 20 year vegetarian and she is also a scientist...oh us stupid stupid vegetarian scientists.

Quote:
The human body lacks of certain enzymes that allow the herbivoires' digestive tracks to break through the cell wall that surrounds the cell membrane,therefor it isn't capable of digesting plants.

Sorry the human body is perfectly capable of surviving on a balanced plant diet alone..In fact it is preferable.

Your argument is totally refuted and insubstantial based on the sheer number of data points (human vegetarians) proving otherwise and I sincerely hope no one takes you seriously.

Quote:
are you seriously quoting wikipedia now? Smile you do know wikipedia is free-edit and that any 14-year-old biologist-wannabe could have written that right? if you have any biologist/doctor friend,ask them to give you a pass for pubmed and then you can link me sources from the internet

Right and we should just trust you? Because you provided what for your arguments? A spouted off opinion? lol
A random person on the internet that clearly has zero clue what he is talking about.
One thing is obvios though. Vegetarianism bothers you. That much is clear....funny though.
I haven't seen even a single person try to convince anyone to switch to being a vegetarian...

Quote:
Not to sound like a dick here but trust me,it's purerly psychological

To late you have already let everyone in on the fact that you are spouting off opinions without facts...that is well dickish. Sorry to be so blunt about it. Not to mention you are quite presumptuous to boot. You honestly think you know why someone feels good?

You have every right to express your opinion on the matter, just realize that unless you can provide facts it is just your opinion. Like I said everyone is entitled to an opinion, but once you cross the line and start acting as though your opinion is fact..well that's just childish and will be met with a lot of resistance at the Nexus.

Eat your meat if you choose, but don't pretend to have some inside knowledge that the rest of us vegetarians are missing...unless of course you can back it up with new facts and informations that I'm sure we'd all like to know about.

You know I'd bet a years salary that the average vegetarian knows way more about diet and nutrition than the non vegetarian...

Peace

i could write a book about how wrong you are,but instead i'll just say: this is my science,i studied it for many years and it puts bread on my table. you are at the best a biology enthusiast with some bad sources,so this arguement is like me saying to a firefighter how to put off fires

B.S. Biology.
Ph.D Medicinal Chemistry.

Been paid to do this for living for 12 years now.

But let's drop the internet credentials BS. They are meaningless here.
Actually it's just a faulty apeal to authority anyway.

Instead of inflating our egos why not just argue with facts like I did?

I provided links to sources you provide nothing but your opinion.
I guess we can leave it like this.

Facts vs Opinions.

Decide for yourselves.

Peace.
If your religion, faith, devotion, or self proclaimed spirituality is not directly leading to an increase in kindness, empathy, compassion and tolerance for others then you have been misled.

tony
#44 Posted : 1/8/2012 1:40:44 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Indoril_Nerevar wrote:
So since we can't be 100% certain,the logical thing to do is eat what we were designed to eat through many many years of evolution.

The fallacy here is almost so self evident that its not worth mentioning. We were not 'designed' by evolution to eat meat, we evolved the ABILITY to eat meat because it was beneficial at the time (before we had supermarkets). Just because it was the best available option during our ancestors evolution doesnt necessarilly make it the best option now. I eat meat and am neither arguing for nor against it... But your arguments are invalid imho
-Я Ξ √ Ω L U T ↑ Ø N-

Indoril_Nerevar
#45 Posted : 1/8/2012 1:59:25 PM

The third eye,humanity's only hope...

endlessness wrote:
Indoril_Nerevar wrote:

Oh but they do

http://iqlift.com/Creatine-Brain-Science.html

the post you sent focuses on cancer,i don't see how that is relative to the study i provided you.And of course it is everyone's choice to eat w/e they like.I don't even judge the tribes that eat their dead family members,its their choice.But people cannot delude themselves by thinking they are healthier because they don't it meat.There are so many complex mechanisms in your body,that you can't even be certain that you don't need something,because it might affect your body in ways you don't even realize.So since we can't be 100% certain,the logical thing to do is eat what we were designed to eat through many many years of evolution.

I think maybe you are the one being deluded that just because you eat meat, you are necessarily healthier or more intelligent.

You fail to take in account that health is a complex balance that does not involve simply a very specific type of ability that Raven test can measure, which is what the sole paper you provided is based on (even IF that paper did prove anything, which it doesnt, very poor sample)

You use fallacious flawed arguments such as that just because we dont really know the complex mechanism of the body, we should do like old times (I wont even expand here because im sure if you think this through, you can see how flawed it is)

Your study has 45 subjects from one single university (lol at making statistical generalizations from this kind of sample!!!!), while the link provided by joedirt has 8170. Your study uses Raven test as the main measure, which is not the same as IQ measurement (and even IQ measurement is something arguable, but I wont go there now), and measures but a tiny fragment of what human cognition is.

Also, read joedirt's posts for some further good arguments and publications. And please settle down on the attitude, thats not the kind of way to post in this forum.

ok won't happen again
The character Indoril_Nerevar is an artistic work of fiction, and thus all his claims and ideas are works of falsehood and fiction and should be treated likewise. There is no relation between Indoril_Nerevar and any real living or dead person, and any existing similarity or seeming relation is purerly coincidental.

zombicyckel
#46 Posted : 1/8/2012 2:01:28 PM

Armchair activist

I eat meat everyday, Ive got two voices the first one: its natural man, dont worry about it. Besides you cant even eat a sallad how is that gonna work out.

And the second: You should really stop what you are doing and, it immoral and innocent animals have died because I have a problem eating sallad/veggies. ive become so lost that I dont even know that it is an animal I am eating.

One day I hope I can evolve and leave this nasty habit

A replicator would solve out dielemma

Shaolin
#47 Posted : 1/8/2012 2:22:39 PM

Stiletto Stoner

I can see this thread going bad really quickly if we continue in such maner.

joedirt, what do you think of the China study critiques ?
Got GVG ? Mhm. Got DMT ?

Pandora wrote:
Nexus enjoys cutting edge and ongoing superior programming skills of the owner of this site (The Traveler), including recent switching to the .me domain name.

I'm still, I'm still Jenny from the block

Simon Jester wrote:
"WTF n00b, buy the $100 vapor pipe or GTFO"

Ignorance of the law does not protect you from prosecution

Doodazzle
#48 Posted : 1/8/2012 2:25:48 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Don't have a name for my diet, but my values are local food, natural food, vegetarian and mostly raw. All four values I will bend on (the local thing and the raw thing I break all the time) I did a couple weeks last month of raw veganism. That ones a challenge, but it was cool. My problem with that is so much of the food is non local. So yeah, I try to balance all the above mentioned values, without stressing it too much nor being overly dogmatic.
"Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods." Albert Einstein

I appreciate your perspective.

DoingKermit
#49 Posted : 1/8/2012 2:59:51 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Since I was born in Argentina, I have been brought up eating meat... almost raw at times. I am not saying I will eat red meat for the rest of my life, because it would be nice to see what the benefits are from a vegan diet, but for the moment I don't think I could shake the meat eater in me.

joedirt
#50 Posted : 1/8/2012 3:06:28 PM

Not I

Shaolin wrote:
I can see this thread going bad really quickly if we continue in such maner.

joedirt, what do you think of the China study critiques ?

I'm familiar with the study, but I have not read the book.

I do know this. Diet and health are extremely complicated issues.

What I can tell you is my personal experience with it. I decided to switch 2 years ago for a 1 month New Years resolution.
I eat a very balanced diet during this period and when I finished the one month trial I had lost a good bit of weight,
I was sleeping better, I had more energy during the day, and my mood was improved. I decided to make it a permanent change.

Over the course of the next few months my body completely reregulated. My bowel movements were once again normal,
I was sleeping better, my body fat completely disappeared, my skin cleared up.

Prior to the 1 month trial I used to use comments like "stupid vegetarian hippies are starving themselves for no good reason"..

After the 1 month trial, I was like "hey maybe the hippies are onto something." Smile

Then 6 months in I went to the doctor and had a lot of general health test performed. I had near perfect levels on all the tests except vitamin D...which I was grossly deficient in.. Now even two years later my medical tests are showing near perfect levels. What more is there to say than that? I do take vitamins. I'm not a vegan, but I do try to take into account where my food and other products come from. For me this is just part of a larger drive to live more mindfully.

For me it's a no brainer. I literally felt and looked better after making the switch. When I do cheat and eat meat I can feel it in my digestive tract for at least 2 day's. I feel bloated and heavy. These are not sensations I associated with when I eat a constant diet of meat. It wasn't until I went without meat for a time that I could actually feel what my body was telling me.

At the end of the day I think this is something every individual has to approach on his/her own. I danced around this issue for years in my own mind. I guess I liked to pretend that cows, chickens, and pigs came from the grocery store, and that dogs and cats weren't like other animals...etc, etc, etc.

I wasn't wrong or evil, I just wasn't being honest with myself. As soon as I came to terms with myself and was completely honest about it...I just couldn't continue like I was. My wife essentially came to the same realization. Once she saw that I was really sticking with it she joined me...and now she is actually better at not cheating that I am.

For what it's worth I also used to make plenty of arguments against being vegetarian. Once I really looked into the data and tried it for myself I realized just how hollow those arguments had been. They were really little more than my subconscious mind trying to hold onto what it 'liked'...and to do that it would use any means necessary including deluding and lying to myself. Smile

Peace

SpartanII
#51 Posted : 1/8/2012 3:29:01 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I have a question for anyone...

Based on your experience, if you were to switch to a primarily vegetarian diet, would the occasional eating of meat have a negative effect physically, mentally, or spiritually? IOW, make you sick (physical), affect cognitive abilities (mental), or decrease one's feeling of spiritual connection or meditation ability (spiritual)?

I believe in moderation in all things, but I don't want to occasional treat of eating a cheese burger to unbalance my system and undo all the work I put in to controlling my diet.Sad

polytrip
#52 Posted : 1/8/2012 3:32:40 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Location: A speck of dust in endless space, like everyone else.
SpartanII wrote:
I have a question for anyone...

Based on your experience, if you were to switch to a primarily vegetarian diet, would the occasional eating of meat have a negative effect physically, mentally, or spiritually? IOW, make you sick (physical), affect cognitive abilities (mental), or decrease one's feeling of spiritual connection or meditation ability (spiritual)?

I believe in moderation in all things, but I don't want to occasional treat of eating a cheese burger to unbalance my system and undo all the work I put in to controlling my diet.Sad

I used to eat meat. I craved for it when i stopped and just the smell of it made me drool.
Now i think it stinks like shit and if i accidentally eat a tiny bit of it i have to throw up.
You´ll grow to dislike it.

Doodazzle
#53 Posted : 1/8/2012 3:41:24 PM

DMT-Nexus member

My new diet is a recent one....but I plan on deliberately eating meat at least once every few months of so (last time was thanksgiving). In the even of a societal collapse, my belly should be ready to digest whatever I gives it. I'll likewise remember to practise my archery a bit.
"Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods." Albert Einstein

I appreciate your perspective.

Orion
#54 Posted : 1/8/2012 3:41:33 PM

DMT-Nexus member

What can I say, I have a lust for flesh in most forms. I can imagine being extremely frustrated without it. I don't exactly like they way the animals are treated, but then I also think growing a plant just to kill and consume it is pretty similar. I'd refuse to eat animals killed in harsh and inhumane ways, as they are in some countries. These animals could't survive in the wild for long now anyway, we have screwed with their breeding for too long. modern pigs are far removed from their old wild stock. But if we stop farming them it would wipe out their species maybe... so what can you do?

It's tasty.........
Art Van D'lay wrote:
Smoalk. It. And. See.

Purges
#55 Posted : 1/8/2012 3:53:17 PM

DMT-Nexus member

joedirt wrote:
Purges wrote:

P.S. I have a bit of a gripe - 'vegetarians' who eat fish. YOU ARE NOT A F%@^ING VEGETARIAN!!! An animal died to provide that meal on your plate, it is meat, it is clearly not a vegetable. Stop lying to yourself and others, you are just a highly selective omnivore, nothing more, nothing less.

I need to come to terms with this as well. Sad

Your point is valid though. A life has indeed died, but if you follow that to it's conclusion then even walking or breathing results in the loss of life of some self replicating organism...Smile

The way I mentally maneuver around this is to say that anything with a nervous system is what I consider to be sentient.
For me the more advanced and organisms consciousness the more wrong it feels to subject them to farming like a plant....

When I do eat fish I try to only buy wild caught fish because at least that is more in the natural order of things.

It is what it is. I wish I could sit atop some moral high ground, but alas I'm just trying to find my own way through this life like everyone else. Along my path I do what I can to try and minimize the damage I do along the way.

Peace

There are obviously shades of grey here, my comment may have seemed antagonistic, but that is not how I meant it. I just know one or two people who call themselves vegetarian and eat fish / seafood a few times a week which to my mind isn't vegetarianism at all. They are only vegetarian when it suits them, and perhaps they are too lazy to seek out other sources of protein, iron etc. It also grinds my gears because it indirectly asserts that some how fish are not living, sentient beings. I just think in this sense it is an illusory term made to make the person feel better. But then again, there are those who are vegetarian for political / spiritual / ethical reasons, and those who are just because that is what they prefer to eat, so maybe that needs to be taken into account.

Now say you ate fish once a month, or only on special holidays for instance, I would probably see that person as 'mostly vegetarian' - but to me there is a big difference due to the frequency of meat eaten and also the attitude towards it. I wouldn't mind if this person called them self vegetarian because 99.726549432% of the time they are.

But yes, I am much more conscious of the amount of meat that I eat these days, as well as the quality, and it seems like you, at times I wrestle with my conscience, how ever I have come to terms with the fact that I am an omnivore, but as time goes by I do see myself becoming much less 'meat-centric' in my outlook to food. My girlfriend for instance makes an outstanding Gujarati vegetable curry which I love, and you can't beat a nice Daal.

Now RE: 'if you follow that to it's conclusion then even walking or breathing results in the loss of life of some self replicating organism' (which I suspect was by way of a little joke Pleased ) these are cells we are talking about here, not complex sentient organisms - even plants have cells. These will die regardless of whether you eat meat or vegetables, or raw food, or what ever. If you want to live at all you have to accept that things are going to die.

Now it is also worth thinking about intensive farming of vegetables, grains etc this takes up a lot of land, many species of plants are cleared in order to foster 1 species. Insecticides are employed - killing more animals, then when the farmer comes along with his combine harvester or industrial plough, how many mice, small birds etc are chewed up and spat out, or at very least turfed out of their homes? So even vegetarianism it seems comes at a cost to other sentient beings.

PS I have one more gripe... Laughing meat eaters who are squeamish about seeing animals killed / hunting etc. IMO if you aren't prepared to be able to kill an animal yourself, skin it, gut it etc and deal with it properly, you should be a vegetarian. It is all too easy these days to detach yourself from this reality, with your freshly cleaned de-skinned and fancy packaged chicken breasts or packet of sausages etc. It is just ridiculous really IMO
Lose Control, Free My Soul, Break Me Open, Make Me Whole.
"DMT kicked my balls off" - od3

polytrip
#56 Posted : 1/8/2012 3:59:15 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Eating meat is just morally wrong. All higher mammals have a counsciousnes like we do due to a simmilar brainstructure, so they can suffer like us as well. If you think that a neo-cortex that is relatively larger than that of another being would justify killing animals, than you should also be fine with killing and eating people with down-syndrome, babies or people with schizophrenia.

A budhist monk should also be considered a higher being then, than a football hooligan and thus be justified to kill the hooligan for the sake of any of his possible desires, since people who meditate often have a larger prefrontal cortex than average and people who never exercise any form of restraint have smaller prefrontal lobes, meaning that the budhist monk has a higher counsciousness and thus would have the right to subject those with lower forms of counsciousness to his will.

Also a cannibal should have the right not to change his habbit, because he´s gotten accustomed to it and slavery shouldn´t have been seen as a bad thing because it was just part of society, back in the days, and every rich person had slaves. So it was normal.

rOm
#57 Posted : 1/8/2012 4:25:16 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I understand well all the animal rights, but I dislike proselytism when it comes to food habit.
I too feel soemthing wrong in stuffing pork and meat everyday as it is still a huge part of food in these lands. I feel bad we human can park animals just to fat them.
But I also see many people just think food as a culture and part of the rituals. Even if it could be wrong. It's like drinking alcohol or not.

As a side note, I'm still fascinated by how meat can influence dreams, especially pork in a bad way...
I almost always have nightmares if I indulge in sharing food with it.
But I know veggie realtives who always do nightmares also so the whole dreaming thing is quite a complex process.

I agree I prefer to breed mushrooms and eat their fruits.
Smell like tea n,n spirit !

Toke the toke, and walk the walk !

Purges
#58 Posted : 1/8/2012 4:34:53 PM

DMT-Nexus member

polytrip wrote:
Eating meat is just morally wrong. All higher mammals have a counsciousnes like we do due to a simmilar brainstructure, so they can suffer like us as well. If you think that a neo-cortex that is relatively larger than that of another being would justify killing animals, than you should also be fine with killing and eating people with down-syndrome, babies or people with schizophrenia.

A budhist monk should also be considered a higher being then, than a football hooligan and thus be justified to kill the hooligan for the sake of any of his possible desires, since people who meditate often have a larger prefrontal cortex than average and people who never exercise any form of restraint have smaller prefrontal lobes, meaning that the budhist monk has a higher counsciousness and thus would have the right to subject those with lower forms of counsciousness to his will.

Also a cannibal should have the right not to change his habbit, because he´s gotten accustomed to it and slavery shouldn´t have been seen as a bad thing because it was just part of society, back in the days, and every rich person had slaves. So it was normal.

I think its more due to species dude, cannibalism can cause all sorts of neurological issues, while eating members of a different species would be safe. I can see where you are coming from, but it is your point of view - morals are a very subjective thing.

The budhist monk would not be justified to kill a football hooligan because it is murder. What sort of world would we live in if holy men went around killing lay folk for food because they are deemed 'less intelligent'???!!! It would soon descend into chaos, particularly if the holy men developed neurological disorders!
Lose Control, Free My Soul, Break Me Open, Make Me Whole.
"DMT kicked my balls off" - od3

polytrip
#59 Posted : 1/8/2012 4:44:26 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Purges wrote:
polytrip wrote:

I think its more due to species dude, cannibalism can cause all sorts of neurological issues, while eating members of a different species would be safe. I can see where you are coming from, but it is your point of view - morals are a very subjective thing.

The budhist monk would not be justified to kill a football hooligan because it is murder. What sort of world would we live in if holy men went around killing lay folk for food because they are deemed 'less intelligent'???!!! It would soon descend into chaos, particularly if the holy men developed neurological disorders!

Yeah, but that´s the whole argument of meateaters, right?: we are a more intelligent species and therefore we are entitled to kill the other species.
How could we disagree then, if aliens would come to land on this planet and decide to make 'humanburgers'?

pau
#60 Posted : 1/8/2012 4:51:29 PM

DMT-Nexus member

This issue has been definitively analyzed in a literary classic:

http://www.myspace.com/video/o/...ne-to-serve-man/37635576

I was vegetarian for 5 years, and I gave in because it was getting harder and harder to spend time with my friends. This thread really has me thinking about starting again.
WHOA!

PREV12345NEXT»