We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Poll Question : Are you a Vegetarian? or do you eat meat? (Poll is closed)
Choice Votes Statistics
I am a Vegetarian and have been all of my life 0 0 %
I am meat eater and always will be 8 33 %
I would like to become a Vegetarian some day 5 20 %
I was a vegetarian but now eat meat now 4 16 %
I am a Vegan (no animal products) 3 12 %
I am a Pescatarian (eat seafood but no meat) 2 8 %
I believe all humans should be Vegetarians and never eat meat 1 4 %
I believe all humans need to eat meat to be heathy 0 0 %
I am a savage meat eater!! give me the meat now! GRRR!!! 1 4 %

«PREV1718192021NEXT
Vegetarian diet or meat diet Options

modsquad09
#361 Posted : 6/20/2012 4:03:38 PM

mods

What about yin and yang balance? They say meats are yang foods, and needed for sexual manliness.

And raw veggies/fruits/grains are yin and female energy. They say a balance is key.

It's been almost four weeks, and i feel great. Kinda bummed out though as i've missed out on some good meals.

Haven't really had much taste to my foods. BUt i've been reading tao books on sexual health and they say you want to be more yang as females are yin energy.

How would one get yang energy without eating meats?
Everything above me is really a lie... think for yourself & question authority!

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

modsquad09
#362 Posted : 6/20/2012 11:45:49 PM

mods

and anyone know about the effects of soy and estrogen/man boobs?

InfinitysMinute
#363 Posted : 6/21/2012 1:23:46 AM
DMT-Nexus member

x
All posts are completely fictional, are made from the perspective of the fictional character InfinitysMinute as part of a role-playing exercise and are meant for entertainment purposes only. All images I post are from various search engines and public image hosting web sites and are not my own.

I left my body on my bed / I flew away inside my head / To dive right through the moon and find / A perfect world inside my mind

modsquad09
#364 Posted : 6/21/2012 5:40:04 PM

mods

InfinitysMinute wrote:
I believe that ideally a healthy human diet includes some meat. We have evolved as omnivores, it's only natural. Humans eating meat in general is a part of the cycle of life, and I accept that.

I am a vegetarian, though. I disagree with where our meat comes from. There are other reasons I am vegetarian but this is the main one. Frankly, the way most animals farmed for meat are treated is just plain sick, but I won't talk your ear off (or rather type... your eyes out? Laughing ) about that. I think that if you are adverse to (at least once in your adult life) catching a wild animal, killing, skinning and gutting it yourself because it is too much effort or you think it is disgusting or you can not bring yourself to take a life... you should not be a meat eater. Nowadays the idea of the meat you see nice and neatly packaged in supermarkets is too far removed from the idea of the sacrifices an animal has made for your meal.

I don't remember how long I've been vegetarian, but it's less than a year. I have eaten meat maybe twice since. Each time I thought the decision through, thanked the animal (in my head) for it's sacrifice and are the meal slowly and mindfully. I noticed that it was nowhere near as tasty as I had expected and remembered it to be... On one occasion I had a bacon sandwich made with (ethically farmed) streaky bacon and it just tasted like grease and salt. On the other occasion I had a cut of lamb (also ethically farmed), perfectly pan fried medium-rare with a nice pan crust and a rich pan gravy. It was nice, I guess... but not nearly as flavoursome and enjoyable as it was in my memory. It was prepared perfectly (I used to be a chef) but it just wasn't what I was looking for, I guess. It just seemed very plain and lacked something I can't put my finger on.

In a few years time I hope to grow at least half of my own food.

modsquad09 wrote:
Yeah and plants love certain music. I heard about a study from someone that they responded best to classical music.

They do respond well to music, yes... but it may actually be noise more so than music. I have seen a study from the last couple of years that compared a control, plants that had been spoken to, plants played classical music and plants played death metal and death metal did the best, followed by classical music, followed by talking to them.

I would have liked the study to include a group being played a loud and constant tone as well to see if tonal variation as in music is even beneficial, or if it IS just noise.

Yeah i'm with you on all that. But not all of the grassfed you buy from say wholefoods are raised like that(cruel) are they?

And my hangup now is that they say you turn into a female sorta if you don't eat meat.
The tao says meats and eggs give you yang energy, which is the male sexual energy. And yin fruits and raw veggies are more yin(female energy).
PLus it says grains and soy/tofu are yin as well. But meat/seafood is Yang.
Then other sites say one thing is yang and another says that thing is yang, so im confused. Do people really even know what's up?

If this is gonna affect my relationships and sex life(thus ruining my life) i'm not sure if its worth it. I mean i feel great on the vegan diet but i'm always hungry, and its pretty expensive. WEll so is buying grassfed meats as well.

PLus ive read all this on soy products causes estrogen/boobs.

I was eating a complete protein from raw protein by garden of life(supplement) Taking b12 and a multi vitamin for iron calcium, ect.
And i still lost like 20 lbs in four weeks. Felt great, just kinda missed all them tasty foods. But enjoyed not eating for emotion/ a better mood.

Gonna have some drinks at my pad with this chick i've been seeing this week. I want to be ready yang wise.

I ate a couple grassfed burgers i had in the freezer yesterday, thus breaking the four week vegan diet. Should i just jump back on it and see how my sexual energy pans out with her going vegan?

seems like that would be choice.

It's just so hard eating out on dates and going out with friends when all of em eat animal products, even though they are hippies/"healthy new age" types. Seems like it's doing more damage to your life than eating meat was.

I mean me eating vegan isnt gonna change the world. And when the world decides to change, so will i?

modsquad09
#365 Posted : 6/21/2012 5:41:26 PM

mods

So is anyone sure of non animal foods that are highly Yang in energy? Some sites said cayenne/garlic/onion. But i usually try to avoid foods that make me stink. THus also defeating my game.

onethousandk
#366 Posted : 6/21/2012 6:09:56 PM

DMT-Nexus member

modsquad09 wrote:
So is anyone sure of non animal foods that are highly Yang in energy?

I am a fan of eastern philosophy and see many valuable lessons from things like Taoism so please don't take this as an attack, but I think you should give up the notion that anyone knows what they're talking about when they say that certain foods are yin or yang. After all, one of the first lessons is to see that all things contain both sides. I've seen extremely manly men that eat almost nothing but salads (many body builders eat like this to lower their % body fat) and I've seen extremely effeminate men that eat a hamburger a day. While your food is always an influence on your health, both physically and mentally, I think it's a bit silly to try and break down foods into yin yang categories like that when there is absolutely no objective way of decided which food goes in which category. As with most things, it comes down to personal perception.

modsquad09
#367 Posted : 6/21/2012 8:06:33 PM

mods

onethousandk wrote:
modsquad09 wrote:
So is anyone sure of non animal foods that are highly Yang in energy?

I am a fan of eastern philosophy and see many valuable lessons from things like Taoism so please don't take this as an attack, but I think you should give up the notion that anyone knows what they're talking about when they say that certain foods are yin or yang. After all, one of the first lessons is to see that all things contain both sides. I've seen extremely manly men that eat almost nothing but salads (many body builders eat like this to lower their % body fat) and I've seen extremely effeminate men that eat a hamburger a day. While your food is always an influence on your health, both physically and mentally, I think it's a bit silly to try and break down foods into yin yang categories like that when there is absolutely no objective way of decided which food goes in which category. As with most things, it comes down to personal perception.

Thanks guy's. I'm gonna stick this out and see how it goes for another month.
Gonna see how i do in the gym as well, along with meditation/yoga.

So would you say multivitamin stuff comes down to perception. Like how they say vegans need b12 and other protein sources to survive? Or is that just common sense, or is everyone different?

Have you known people who didn't eat protein and withered away or had major problems from not supplementing with b12?

I mean that's KNOWN from the test of time in science right.

So why don't the Taoist's have the test of time down, when they talk about yin/yang. Why are so many sources contradicting each other and saying one food does this while the other says it does that.

Don't they understand as you do that everything has yin and yang to it? And how do they even know that?

onethousandk
#368 Posted : 6/22/2012 10:54:05 PM

DMT-Nexus member

modsquad09 wrote:
So would you say multivitamin stuff comes down to perception. Like how they say vegans need b12 and other protein sources to survive? Or is that just common sense, or is everyone different?

Have you known people who didn't eat protein and withered away or had major problems from not supplementing with b12?

I mean that's KNOWN from the test of time in science right.

I can't speak too much to this since I'm not a nutritionist, but I imagine that it again comes down to a spectrum of personal responses. I would guess that there are both people that eat vegan and never have any issues while others notice a decline in health without supplementing things like B12. Do what works for you. Listen to your body. If you eat like this and constantly feel tired, unfocused, etc then your diet is probably not giving your body everything it needs.

modsquad09 wrote:
So why don't the Taoist's have the test of time down, when they talk about yin/yang. Why are so many sources contradicting each other and saying one food does this while the other says it does that.

Don't they understand as you do that everything has yin and yang to it? And how do they even know that?

In a way this is the crucial difference between science and philosophy. You have contradicting sources because there is no objective, verifiable way to determine what contains how much yinyang. It can't be put into a test tube. And in this sense I will readily admit that I don't know what the Truth is either. I take pieces of Taoism because it speaks to me and makes sense from my perspective, but to say that this philosophy is absolute would be hubris on my part. Anyone that claims to know the Truth, in my opinion, is probably full of themselves.

jamie
#369 Posted : 6/23/2012 4:54:07 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expert | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growingSenior Member | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growing

There is no proof yet that with a balanced vegan diet you need to take b12 supplements. There is some evidence to back up the people who claim you dont need to take extra b12..but I mean as it stands there is no hard proof either way.

The facts?

The facts show us that b12 deficinecy takes place across the board. Like I have said in many other threads..I tested b12 deficinet BEFORE I was vegan..wheh I was eating meat every day..I was eating meat and cheese and fish daily and I tested b12 deficient. Lots of people test b12 deficient..there seems to be some kind of agenda by some people to only tell half the story and go on about vegans with b12 deficiency..if this is really about vegans than why do so many meat eaters test low b12?

Why does noone ever want to adress the role of mineral deficiency in relation to the issue of low b12 levels?

Surely if it was just a lack of animal products people who eat them daily would no be testing positive for low b12.
Long live the unwoke.

jamie
#370 Posted : 6/23/2012 5:07:13 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expert | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growingSenior Member | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growing

"Have you known people who didn't eat protein and withered away or had major problems from not supplementing with b12?"

I know a women who is nearly 40, been 100% vegan for about 20 years..and a large part of her diet is raw. She is a school teacher and does yoga classes in her off time. She runs marathons(literally) and can outrun most 20 year olds. She is in better shape than most people half her age, meat eaters or otherwise. She definatly does not seem like she has any vitamine def problems to me. She does not supplement b12. This women is an excercise freak..I dunno how you can have the energy to run all over like that if you have vitamine deficiency problems.

Her daughter has also been raised vegan for her entire life and seems fine.
Long live the unwoke.

jamie
#371 Posted : 6/23/2012 8:04:14 AM

DMT-Nexus member

"And my hangup now is that they say you turn into a female sorta if you don't eat meat."

If that is what you are worried about, then look elsewhere. You should be more worried about BPA turning you into a sheman. Some of the most built and muscular apes are largely fruitarian..bonobos eat little to no meat, and look how built they are..

I think the people who claim not having meat will make you female are full of crap and have no idea what they are talking about. The feminization of men at this point comes from other sources if any at all..like estrogen analogues...you see all those men leaving the gym sipping on those water bottles?

Most of the people who say these things are probly so removed from reality..I cant help but see the irony when I hear people say these sorts of things. I see these jock type guys who work out every single day obsessing over how big they are, while at the same time fussing over the shape of the little flip in their hairstyle and freaking out over the tiny spot of dirt on their new track suit..lol what is so manly about all of that? Domestication has taken away that masculin energy more than anything else. Becomming feral again and regainging some aspect of our early hunter gatherer ways is what will fix that IMO..how many people actaully spend some time in nature harvesting food? How many people today even know 5 wild foods you can just go harvest in your local ecosystem? We are raised stupid and so rely on supermarkets for EVERYTHING..it's like having your balls cut off at birth.

The whole testosterone thing is an interesting discussion though..some claim we have too much..others claim we have not enough. Testosterone has also been found to play a role in women..it is not only a masculin thing.

If you want a great vegan source of testosterone look into pine pollen..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5a00wLq7l6s

I love Daniel Vitalis.. he is not vegan anymore but still one of my favorite people to listen to and inspires me..

Long live the unwoke.

jamie
#372 Posted : 6/23/2012 8:25:03 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I also want to say right now, that the China study is proof of nothing. I am tired of hear vegans trying to use that as some kind of evidence for vegansim..The China study is all about people who ate less animal products..not no animals products. I cringe(as a vegan) when I hear vegans reference that study.
Long live the unwoke.

modsquad09
#373 Posted : 6/23/2012 8:29:47 PM

mods

Thanks guys.

Do you think that using a vitamix to drink fruits and veggies, instead of chewing the solid foods has anything to do with weight loss or gain? or feeling hungry?

I mean when you chew it it gets broken down anyway right? would i have to consume more if i drink my food vs. staying full longer my chewing them?

I also tak raw protein by garden of life, which has all the essential amino acids from a variety of vegan sources like rices/grains/wheats.

How much protein should i eat a day to not loose any weight? I weigh 140lbs.

I mean there's not much of a difference between drinking my protein than wasting time on cooking and chewing quinoa which is already very small/broken down right

thanks its just i feel like i gotta eat like every two hours, vs. when i eat burgers and breads i stay full just a little bit longer.

Right now I'm just trying to get my food down quick(the reason i bought the Vitamix was when i had a job i didn't have time to eat)
Now i just don't want the emotional attachment of food/taste to use as an escape or to feel happy really. I'm trying to get that from other things instead of living to eat.
Smile
Thanks

christian
#374 Posted : 6/23/2012 8:46:05 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I guess it's possible to exist on a vegetarian diet, but i never managed to try it long enough before i got hungry!

I like to lift weights, but regardless, a high protein (meat) diet definately gives me a lot of power and strength and Carbs give me the energy. Salads and leafy veg seem to relax me and round it off.

Food is sacred, and should be cooked and consumed in a ritualistic manner. It should never be rushed or treated as something that gets in the way of doing stuff, unless it's a small snack. Respect food and what it gives you. If you don't enjoy the taste learn how to cook and make the most of it. Unless you are a monk who meditates, you're probably an active human who needs energy and strength to survive the crap that modern life throws at us. A vegan diet in my opinion not supply your energy requirements for being that "winner" that today requires. Cool
"Eat your vegetables and do as you're told, or you won't be going to the funfair!"

modsquad09
#375 Posted : 6/23/2012 9:02:37 PM

mods

christian wrote:
I guess it's possible to exist on a vegetarian diet, but i never managed to try it long enough before i got hungry!

I like to lift weights, but regardless, a high protein (meat) diet definately gives me a lot of power and strength and Carbs give me the energy. Salads and leafy veg seem to relax me and round it off.

Food is sacred, and should be cooked and consumed in a ritualistic manner. It should never be rushed or treated as something that gets in the way of doing stuff, unless it's a small snack. Respect food and what it gives you. If you don't enjoy the taste learn how to cook and make the most of it. Unless you are a monk who meditates, you're probably an active human who needs energy and strength to survive the crap that modern life throws at us. A vegan diet in my opinion not supply your energy requirements for being that "winner" that today requires. Cool

I feel the energy i get from veggies and grains is far superior to meats, i feel lazy and tired after eating meat and wanna take a nap.

Plus i felt that to survive in the world nowadays and keep my job, i had to invest in the Vitamix and have these meals ready for me at work.

Yea i still got hungry, but that's not what i was eating's fault more than the amount and frequency.. they say it's better to eat several small meals anyway and not over eat right? and i think a lot of the hunger/craving has to do with my family cooking meat and all these foods i don't eat that i can smell across the house.

NO matter what i eat i feel hungry about a two hours after.

And i REALLY crave sweets in the middle and at night.

and all i eat that's sweet is a fruit smoothie first thing in the morning.

would also really like to end the lat night hunger/sugar cravings.

i always wake up having to piss mid-night, cause i eat and drink right before bed.

if i don't eat than i lay there awake and hungry.

I JUST CANT WIN, MEAT OR NO MEAT :\

un-known-ome
#376 Posted : 6/23/2012 9:24:34 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I sometimes like to weigh in on these discussions as someone who takes nutrition seriously, because it's rather important. A lot of controversy stems from the adaptability of the human body to many different diets, so it all becomes rather subjective.

Do we need to eat meat? Certainly not. Vegans and vegetarians are a testament to that. But should we eat meat? Well I'm no nutritionist, but probably--after all it's good for you. Do we need to consume dairy? Again no, but we can manage with dairy in our diets. Should we consume dairy? Probably not as it doesn't make much sense. As someone who is active more often than not and who has experimented with different diets, I've mostly figured out what a sustainable diet is for me personally but I'm not always faithful, unfortunately. Dairy wreaks havoc on my system, but a steady regiment of fish and chicken is difficult to beat. Being a vegan or vegetarian is admirable in some ways, but the notion that it's somehow better is utterly absurd. I mean, if you need to supplement a diet with protein powders and multivitamins it's probably not a good diet and needs some work.
"Culture is NOT your friend" - TMK

Dead-Yolk-Mau5
- Yolks N' Stuff ( 2008 )

The year is 01 ADMT

universecannon
#377 Posted : 6/23/2012 11:40:48 PM

☂

Moderator | Skills: harmalas, melatonin, trip advice, lucid dreaming

christian wrote:

This is just complete nonsense

If you're "still hungry"..then you're obviously just not eating enough. I'm basically raw vegan, and my stomach happens to be bulging at the moment. There are plenty of vegan body builders and athletes out there who thrive on this sort of diet. You can definitely reach you're energy requirments IF you know what you're doing.

Many people just get into this diet by following some social trend and do it without eating enough of the right foods.. And then they complain that they're hungry and don't have the energy.. and blame the whole "vegan" or "vegetarian" approach.. when really its just them

I have a ridiculous amount of energy compared to when i ate a typical westerner diet of processed foods and meat

<Ringworm>hehehe, it's all fun and games till someone loses an "I"

jamie
#378 Posted : 6/24/2012 5:04:26 AM

DMT-Nexus member

christian wrote:

If you so some more research you will find that you can easily get more amino acids from a fruitarian diet(lots of fruits and leafy greens) than you can eating meat. The whole protein thing is a myth. You require amino acids for building muscle.."protein" from meat is a middle man amino acid that the body has to then break down into other amino acids(like the ones in leafy greens etc) in order to turn it into muscle. Essentially you LOOSE more energy turning that protein into muscle than you do when you ingest plant based amino acids.

If you are hungry on a vegan diet you might just need to eat more, and more of the right foods. Saying you were vegan, vegetarian etc does not mean that much, as that can mean any number of different diets..all it means is you excluded said ammount of animal products, but it says nothing else about what else you were eating..and that makes a HUGE difference.

Im not saying veganism is for sure better..but I am saying that the protein thing you mention in reguards to building muscle is not true and this has been proven.

Anyone concidering going vegan should concider that you will either end up gorging on nuts and seeds and other fats or you will end up having to far far more produce than you would assume at first..plant matter is less dense and has more water than meat..it also digests much faster so leaves the stomache faster..so the body can easily consume more of it in a day..it just makes sense. You will either be eating fruit, salads, smoothies more than 3 times a day, or you will eat nuts till you feel sick(everyone is like that at first I think) or you will be hungry.
Long live the unwoke.

r2pi
#379 Posted : 6/24/2012 10:02:47 AM
DMT-Nexus member

This is a topic I'm passionate about... I guess I have the zeal of a convert. Once the ethical vegan, I am now a conscientious hunter. My zeal would probably be less were it not for the the fact that I feel our freedom to hunt is under attack from multiple angles. That combined with what I see as the importance of hunting to me, in an ecological, evolutionary and existential context, this gets my hackles up. (I like to call hunting "participatory ecology", in contrast to the usual brand of ecological spectatorship.)

Anyway, I will shut up and read the the rest of the thread first, lest I'm potentially going over old ground.

jamie
#380 Posted : 6/24/2012 9:10:06 PM

DMT-Nexus member

http://www.youtube.com/w...ndex=7&feature=plcp

this will be of relevance here.
Long live the unwoke.

«PREV1718192021NEXT