We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
123NEXT
Iboga disappearing from the wild in Gabon Options

Dan
#1 Posted : 4/9/2012 4:44:22 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I regret to inform everyone that is has come to our attention that Tabernanthe iboga is now endangered in it's natural enviroment. Poachers are mostly to blame. It would seem that western greed has gotten to people and they have been improperly harvesting (or just ripping the whole tree out of the ground) as a way to make a quick buck.

If anyone lives in a tropical enviroment and would like to help there is a group willing to provide seeds to those who can help grow and restore it to the wild.

More info can be found here. http://forums.ayahuasca....=28&p=218444#p218444 Which is where I read about this terrible info. Kambogahausca, the original poster, can be personally contacted via pm for more info.

We can not allow this great plant to be snuffed out of the wild by the groups that are poaching them. Let's ban together and save wild iboga.

Any help, support, or donations is greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time.
Hey! You! Get off of my cloud!

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

۩
#2 Posted : 4/9/2012 5:04:29 AM

This is basically exactly what someone who recently visited there told me. This seems to be a major problem. Sad

Thanks for posting this thread, anyone who is interested in growing ethnobotanicals might want to take a stab at this one, it is one incredible and important medicine.

That, and not supporting vendors, is all we can do for now I think. If you want Iboga, go to Gabon, and grow some plants. This is what the world has come to.

polytrip
#3 Posted : 4/9/2012 2:08:00 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Location: A speck of dust in endless space, like everyone else.
I believe our traveller is growing some of these plants, so i know of at least one person who has taken this step.

jamie
#4 Posted : 4/9/2012 4:21:21 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expert | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growingSenior Member | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growing

I have been planning to grow iboga..just need to wait until I can afford the seeds..guess I wont be working with iboga though until I can grow out some seed..I am not supporting a market of endangered species.

I am surprised people were not all over this years ago like they have been with ayahuasca. Caapi is farmed in many places now and most of the stuff on the market comes from farms not the wild..I would have thought iboga would have been the same. It is sad.
Long live the unwoke.

Vodsel
#5 Posted : 4/9/2012 4:35:13 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Senior Member | Skills: Filmmaking and Storytelling, Video and Audio Technology, Teaching, Gardening, Languages (Proficient Spanish, Catalan and English, and some french, italian and russian), Seafood cuisine

What I find profoundly unfair about this is not only the global endangerment of iboga, but the fact the bwiti will have more trouble to gather their sacred medicine. It's yet another step in plundering Africa.

I just hope its status of "National Treasure" in Gabon will make their government act about this in some way.

The plant will not disappear once enough people around the world are harvesting it and doing their best in order to produce seed (which should be given to people who can be entrusted with it and grow themselves) but gabonese shamans do not have the same variety and richness of resources that peoples in the amazon have.

I guess it was bound to happen.

jamie
#6 Posted : 4/9/2012 4:44:42 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expert | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growingSenior Member | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growing

I really hope people stop buying iboga now and work with other similar plants like the tabernaemontana species and voacanga etc..work with these and grow iboga.
Long live the unwoke.

SHroomtroll
#7 Posted : 4/9/2012 7:52:26 PM

DMT-Nexus member

How long would it take to grow some iboga to able to harvest it?

I feel that i would like to do ibogain some day but i´m a long way from being ready for it, maybe if i start growing it soon it would be ready when i am aswell...

۩
#8 Posted : 4/9/2012 8:54:24 PM

SHroomtroll wrote:
How long would it take to grow some iboga to able to harvest it?

I feel that i would like to do ibogain some day but i´m a long way from being ready for it, maybe if i start growing it soon it would be ready when i am aswell...

Start now.

Shayku
#9 Posted : 4/9/2012 9:39:53 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Iboga is not prohibited here in Canada. I'm wondering what would be the ethical way of obtaining it. I have neither a greenhouse nor a green thumb. Head shops are probably not ideal, nor online shops. Maybe a list of "ethical (greenhouse) growers", would be useful.
SWIM is Spartacus!

The things posted on DMT-Nexus by Shayku are generally false. They are for entertainment purposes only.

Dan
#10 Posted : 4/9/2012 10:22:56 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Shayku wrote:
Iboga is not prohibited here in Canada. I'm wondering what would be the ethical way of obtaining it. I have neither a greenhouse nor a green thumb. Head shops are probably not ideal, nor online shops. Maybe a list of "ethical (greenhouse) growers", would be useful.

Iboga is very difficult to grow outside of it's natural enviroment and very difficult to grow in general, it truely is a challenge.

I will be sowing my seeds this week and I am hoping I can at least get 3 healthy plants out of a seed pod. I'll keep everyone updated.

I'm very glad to see everyone here so concerned about this medicine. (I knew you would but reinforcement is nice.)

It's going to take some work but this has to be done.

I've never even sampled iboga before but I know I will be ready when my plants mature. Ideally I'd like to keep one plant myself and whatever else I end up with I will clone the best I can and pass it around.

If anyone has any ideas for possible fund raisers (I know that is kinda out there for a fund raiser) please share.

Take care everyone. 8Smile

Update: Here is Kambogahausca's email if you want to contact him directly. -email removed by mods, check post further down- He is willing to send seeds to the right people, in the right cilmate for free, email him.

Edit: I see he has posted below me.

endlessness
#11 Posted : 4/9/2012 10:35:04 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I moved your post here, and removed the email. For security, we dont want people giving direct contact through the open forum. I hope you understand, you can always contact each other in private and use other more appropriate forums such as EEE

We rather nexians did not give or trade openly, even legal goods... So a member of the nexus has started that legal botanicals exchange/gift forum, EEE, and we encourage others joining there to use different nicknames than here so their identity is kept safe.

Best of luck with this project. As soon as im back to south america Ill definitely be looking into growing iboga.

Dan
#12 Posted : 4/9/2012 10:39:50 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Hey Kambogahausca, I'm a little afraid to say this but I live in Florida and should be able to provide these plants a good home. Iboga is illegal here, unfortunately, so I will have to keep my mouth shut locally, or I would go out and try to find more people in the area that would like to help.

If you live in an area where it is legal, I think a good idea would be to join a gardening club or something of that sort and let them know about iboga being destroyed in the wild. The more people we can recruit, the better.

Be well.

Dan
#13 Posted : 4/9/2012 10:41:14 PM

DMT-Nexus member

endlessness wrote:
I moved your post here, and removed the email. For security, we dont want people giving direct contact through the open forum. I hope you understand, you can always contact each other in private and use other more appropriate forums such as EEE

We rather nexians did not give or trade openly, even legal goods... So a member of the nexus has started that legal botanicals exchange/gift forum, EEE, and we encourage others joining there to use different nicknames than here so their identity is kept safe.

Best of luck with this project. As soon as im back to south america Ill definitely be looking into growing iboga.

My bad Endlessness, didn't mean any harm and should have known better. Was just trying to help with this.

endlessness
#14 Posted : 4/9/2012 10:46:46 PM

DMT-Nexus member

No worries guys, I dont even think its really written in the attitude or elsewhere clear, maybe its hidden in some announcement post...

Again, best of luck with the project, its really appreciated that you guys care about sustainability of these plants!

Dan
#15 Posted : 4/9/2012 11:24:31 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Kambogahuasca Panacea wrote:
Hey Dan,
Well it seems that Iboga is ok to grow as the company River's Source Botanicals sells the seeds and says that it is fine. They sell the seeds out of the US(New Mexico). They have had no problems. Do you have a portion of land to dedicate to Iboga? If so I would like to send you some seeds as soon as I can acquire them.

i actually just purchased some land and would be willing to dedicate a good portion to iboga. let's try to keep talk of trades/etc to pms.

Feel free to pm me.

PsilocybeChild
#16 Posted : 4/10/2012 1:08:24 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Nice seeing you here Kambo!

Don't bother if you're not going to give them full attention and care.
The lazy man will let these die.

...one of a few.. Twisted Evil

PsilocybeChild attached the following image(s):
1.jpg (206kb) downloaded 656 time(s).
2.jpg (207kb) downloaded 657 time(s).
3.jpg (246kb) downloaded 658 time(s).
―λlτεrηιτγ→
Kambo.me Forum
​Internet Security Walk-Through
[url=https://kambo.me/smf/index.php?topic=395.0]Tobacco Disinformation

PM me about personal Herbalist consultations.
Can do it over PMs as to not reveal personal information.

The Traveler
#17 Posted : 4/10/2012 8:30:43 AM

"No, seriously"

Administrator | Skills: DMT, LSD, Programming

Very good initiative!

Here is a picture of one of my Ibogas:

They are both hard to grow but also incredibly strong willing at the same time. The leaves wit the brown tips happened when the temperature in the winter was too cold, but after the temperature rose it just grew leaves again like crazy.

I live in The Netherlands and grow them in a humidity dome, outside it they would slowly die here.

Kind regards,

The Traveler

Bancopuma
#18 Posted : 4/10/2012 12:48:56 PM

DMT-Nexus member

This is terrible news, but perhaps not that unexpected. There seems to be numerous companies in central Africa offering vast quantities of pure ibogaine and iboga alkaloids and root bark, with the purer extracts being much more expensive...there is potential for massive profit margins to be made off iboga in this way, and if such a thing can be exploited, it will be. It is very regrettable but people will just try and make a living by any way they can. Due to the complexity and cost of synthesising iboga alkaloids, all the pressure is on the plants to provide.

A few of the Bwiti grow their own iboga and its sometimes grown outside the Bwiti temples for ceremonies. Part of the ritual though is to go into the wild and harvest the roots, in a similar way that the Huichol utilise Peyote. I think it would be certainly possible to farm iboga sustainably, in a similar way that caapi is in some areas of Amazonia. I think iboga would wish to continue working with people if that makes sense, so it is up to us to take care of it...for what it gives us it is the very least we can do. To lose this plant would be to lose something very special forever. Still though, if iboga's destiny is to become a private commodity in order to survive into the future, I fear those who will lose most are the Bwiti themselves.

If people do plan on obtaining iboga, it is important to ask how their vendor of choice obtained their stocks of iboga. Remember that iboga is a plant from the western part of central Africa...Gabon is its spiritual home but it also grows wild in Cameroon and the Congo. I know for a fact that none of the iboga I have ingested has been of Gabonese origin. If I lived in the tropics I would definitely be growing some.

Dan
#19 Posted : 4/10/2012 11:27:24 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Bancopuma, Great info thank you.

If anyone else has any ideas for fundraisers/etc please PM either Kambo or I.

Smile

jamie
#20 Posted : 4/11/2012 2:46:02 AM

DMT-Nexus member

trav your greenhouse looks identical to mine..what sort of light setup are you using? Do you have a heater in that room?

I have caapi going in a little indoor greenhouse setup but I heard iboga was much harder to grow. I am going to get some seeds sometime this year and try to grow a few of them.
Long live the unwoke.

123NEXT