We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
12NEXT
Cacti identification Options

The Traveler
#1 Posted : 12/31/2008 2:33:31 PM

"No, seriously"

Administrator | Skills: DMT, LSD, Programming

Hello to the ones into the know,

Recently I was at my local garden-shop and there I saw the cacti attached to this post.

Are these Peyote or is there a possible look-alike cactus of the peyote?

The Traveler attached the following image(s):
DSC03500.JPG (897kb) downloaded 149 time(s).
DSC03501.JPG (649kb) downloaded 114 time(s).

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

Jorkest
#2 Posted : 12/31/2008 3:29:40 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Moderator | Skills: Extraction Troubleshooting, (S)elf ProgrammingChemical expert | Skills: Extraction Troubleshooting, (S)elf Programming

im no expert..but i would say they are!!
it's a sound

Infundibulum
#3 Posted : 12/31/2008 3:48:27 PM

Kalt und Heiß, Schwarz und Rot, Kürper und Geist, Liebe und Chaos

ModeratorChemical expert

Damn they bloody look like peyotes!

Buy them and eat them before they go bad!!!!

Need to calculate between salts and freebases? Click here!
Need to calculate freebase or salt percentage at a given pH? Click here!

'Coatl
#4 Posted : 12/31/2008 7:39:50 PM

Teotzlcoatl

Those are most certainly Lophophora but I cannot tell you what species they are...

It appears many of them are williamsii.

You should certainly buy them, but don't eat them, grow them, they won't go bad!

Post on the Corroboree forums or at the Nook.org (Tell them Teo sent ya Smile ) for a 100% ID on all those Lophophora cacti.

My vote is that most of them are williamsii.
WARNING: DO NOT INGEST ANY BOTANICAL WHICH YOU HAVE NOT FULLY RESEARCHED AND CORRECTLY IDENTIFIED!!!

I am Teotzlcoatl, older cousin of Quetzalcoatl. My most famous physical incarnation was Nezahualcoyotl, but I have taken many forms since the dawn of the cosmos. In this realm I manifest as multiple entities at a single time. I am many, I am numbered. I am few, but more than one. I am a multifaceted being, a winged serpent with many heads. We are Teotzlcoatl.

"We Are The One's We've Been Waiting For" - Hopi Proverb

The Traveler
#5 Posted : 12/31/2008 9:07:12 PM

"No, seriously"

Thanks for the advice.

I bought two of them. They are all the same species as I see it. They are still small though, about 4 cm in diameter. They cost 11,99 EURO a piece.
I'll grow them large, it will take about 15 years or so I guess. Pleased

Also any good links about how to grow them old and wise?

'Coatl
#6 Posted : 12/31/2008 9:46:37 PM

Teotzlcoatl

First off, thats an excellent price, buy as many as you can.

4cm is a fairly good size, I bet they are mature and flowering (which means tons of seeds!)

I do not believe those are all the same exact lophophora strain... they are at least different types of williamsii if not differnt speices.

Better pics would help.

Lophophora cacti are really easy to grow, much easier than say Aztekium, Ariocarpus, Turbinicarpus or Strombocactus...

Check out some info on growing Lophophora in my cactus thread- Teotz''s Cactus thread

I'd say if you plan on eating a few, first get a 100% ID on all of them, then grow them strong and fast for a few years, then stress then for a year or two before harvest, the harvested stump will grow new "pups" if you leave a few areoles. I'd say it will only take 2-5 years before ingestion could begin.

In most countries Lophophora is 100% pefectly legal, only the U.S.A. and Mexico (the only 2 areas in the world where it grows naturally) have laws agaist it.
WARNING: DO NOT INGEST ANY BOTANICAL WHICH YOU HAVE NOT FULLY RESEARCHED AND CORRECTLY IDENTIFIED!!!

I am Teotzlcoatl, older cousin of Quetzalcoatl. My most famous physical incarnation was Nezahualcoyotl, but I have taken many forms since the dawn of the cosmos. In this realm I manifest as multiple entities at a single time. I am many, I am numbered. I am few, but more than one. I am a multifaceted being, a winged serpent with many heads. We are Teotzlcoatl.

endlessness
#7 Posted : 12/31/2008 10:09:29 PM

DMT-Nexus member

In Dreamland peyote is also illegal, but san pedro not (though mescaline is also)

and yes they really seem to be peyote there

'Coatl
#8 Posted : 12/31/2008 10:53:47 PM

Teotzlcoatl

Really Brazil too?

Damn!

mew
#9 Posted : 12/31/2008 11:23:15 PM

huachumancer

you are a lucky man traveller,
i wish i was at that garden shop right now
i aslo wish i didnt eat today....

those are purdee cacti!

The Traveler
#10 Posted : 1/1/2009 3:31:47 PM

"No, seriously"

Thanks again for the advice.

Tomorrow I'll go buy extra cacti and I will take better pictures of it.

In the meanwhile, I saw that both of my cacti looked like they already flowered. I also saw that one of them had what looked like seeds on the top place where once the flower was. With a pincet I picket one of the seeds and when comparing it to online pictures it does indeed look like a peyote seed to me. The good thing is that there are more seeds still sitting on the top of de cactus.

'Coatl
#11 Posted : 1/1/2009 5:39:21 PM

Teotzlcoatl

Awesome! You can use seeds to grow and graft (quickly getting tons of peyote) or you can sell each seed for like $1 a piece!

Last year I had 3 mature Lophophora cacti and they produced over 250 seeds in a single growing season!

The best way to tell Peyote (Lophophora williamsii) from the other Lophophora cacti like Diffusa is to wait for it to flower... if it has a pink flower and is self-fertile (can set seeds without another partner) then it's williamsii (Peyote), if it has anything but a pale pink flower, then it's probably another species.

I wanna see more threads like this one!

The Traveler
#12 Posted : 1/4/2009 1:46:32 PM

"No, seriously"

Ok,

I took some more pictures, still not the high quality I liked but they are much better as the previous ones.

The camera I used makes the cacti look a bit lighter.
The Traveler attached the following image(s):
DSC03519.JPG (676kb) downloaded 101 time(s).
DSC03520.JPG (832kb) downloaded 83 time(s).
DSC03521.JPG (830kb) downloaded 81 time(s).
DSC03522.JPG (860kb) downloaded 82 time(s).
DSC03523.JPG (888kb) downloaded 82 time(s).
DSC03527.JPG (694kb) downloaded 83 time(s).

polytrip
#13 Posted : 1/4/2009 2:14:58 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Location: A speck of dust in endless space, like everyone else.
As far as i know, the other lophophora species are also hallucinogenic. When they're small they're harder to tell apart then when they've grown.
Even if it's not williamsi, they're still usefull, i think.

'Coatl
#14 Posted : 1/4/2009 5:29:14 PM

Teotzlcoatl

These have me stumped... I think they are williamsii, but normally williamsii has almost perfectly staight ribs.

I'm going to say these are Lophophora williamsii var. decipiens or Lophophora decipiens, I just can't say for sure without a flower.

Quote:
As far as i know, the other lophophora species are also hallucinogenic. When they're small they're harder to tell apart then when they've grown.

Other Lophophora in the genus are psychoactive but will only contain high levels of mescaline if they are very closely related to williamsii (like decipiens) other members of the genus contain high levels of pellotine (such as diffusa) and offer a more "Datura-like" experience than "True Peyote", thats one reason Lophophora diffusa is one of the "False Peyotes".

Quote:
Even if it's not williamsi, they're still usefull, i think.

Of course they are useful! Those are awesome specimens and if they are diffusa they are actually much rarer and more sought after by cacti collectors than williamsii!

I still think they are williamsii tho, but I'll get a positive ID over at the Corroboree.

bufoman
#15 Posted : 1/4/2009 6:00:05 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Chemical expertSenior Member

Man those are beutiful what ever they are. Take good care of them.

memo
#16 Posted : 1/4/2009 6:37:45 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I've been surprised by the variability of their appearance. Check out Erowid's collection of photos:
http://www.erowid.org/pl...yote/peyote_images.shtml
Avatar art created by unknown Cambodian or Laotian. Everything else is fiction.

'Coatl
#17 Posted : 1/4/2009 10:56:29 PM

Teotzlcoatl

Theres many species of Lophophora and even more strains and forms... this is one thing I think alot of people don't realize about Trichocereus cacti and entheogeic botanicals in general. Sometimes only a specific strain is active... while other times, a whole genus of plants make be active.

'Coatl
#18 Posted : 1/5/2009 7:30:04 AM

Teotzlcoatl

1 vote for standard williamsii from the experts.

Check it out!

The Traveler
#19 Posted : 1/5/2009 11:43:02 AM

"No, seriously"

Sweet,

Let's hope more people agree.

'Coatl
#20 Posted : 1/13/2009 5:39:23 AM

Teotzlcoatl

There's no doubt about it, those are def. standard Lophophora williamsii.

Sorry I'm not better at Lophophora ID myself Sad

12NEXT