We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
To Wash or Not to Wash Options

Gandalf
#1 Posted : 12/29/2008 8:37:07 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I can't seem to find a definite answer to whether washing the solvent with a Sodium Bicarbonate solution or Brine solution is necessary.

I've read reports that it greatly improves the overall purity of the DMT, getting rid of any excess Sodium Hydroxide, thus creating a smoother smoke. On the other hand I have read reports of it greatly reducing yields.

I think someone mentioned washing with minimal liquid, something like 5-10ml per 200ml of solvent. Also using ice cold water would reduce loss of DMT.

Has anyone had any experience with washing the solvent? Very happy

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

monkeyboy
#2 Posted : 12/29/2008 10:06:34 PM
DMT-Nexus member

just do it. the smoke will be less harsh because of it.

swim recently dreamed of a stb with NO recrystalisation OR freeze precipitation, only two sodium carbonate washes. The second wash was with just barely basic wash-water. Dont let the mix sit long- gentle agitation (gentle rolling of vessel) and drain aqueous layer as soon as it settles.

The stb swim is referring to was pulled with toluene- suprisingly clean spice considering no reX was done! No defat or FASA was employed either- just a couple of quick washes.

Gandalf
#3 Posted : 12/30/2008 11:46:54 AM

DMT-Nexus member

OK I'll give it a go then, I've got a 4L sep funnel which makes things a lot easier. Doesn't pulling with toluene extract all the 'Jungle Spice' as well as the DMT?

ploticus
#4 Posted : 1/3/2009 2:53:29 AM
DMT-Nexus member

I do washes with sodium carbonate water. using naphtha with that you dont have to worry about emulsions. I usually use 35ml of water or so for every 400ml of naphtha. Just add it to a sep funnel shake it for a few seconds and wait for it to completely seperate. If you shake really hard that can take a few minutes or so as the tiny bubbles of water slowly sink so dont shake it like your trying to kill it just enough to mix it well.