We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Polycarbonate, Polyethylene and Viton with acetone Options

memo
#1 Posted : 12/29/2008 3:46:52 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I see that there are Nalgene polycarbonate or polyethylene bottles made for acetone. Any knowledge out there about using these kind of containers with acetone and also tubing (polycarbonate, polyethylen or viton) to make it easier to decant anhydrous acetone off the top of a container of acetone with Magnesium sulfate dissicant in the bottom of it. I see that people say not to pour from the container and glass pippets seem like kind of a pain to work with.
Avatar art created by unknown Cambodian or Laotian. Everything else is fiction.

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

prey
#2 Posted : 12/29/2008 6:33:40 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Well I know for a fact that acetone strongly reacts with polycarbonate plastic, so there must be additives if the container says it is made of polycarbonate. Polycarbonate is really only good for water.

I haven't really worked with acetone that much so beyond that I'm not sure which plastics are safe to use with it.

rellik
#3 Posted : 12/29/2008 6:45:17 AM

DMT-Nexus member

nalgene has a great material resistance database: http://www.nalgenelabwar...hdata/Chemical/index.asp

Quote:
Acetone, pure - Ketone, Aliphatic
PC at 20C ..... Immediate damage may occur. Not recommended for continuous use.
PC at 50C ..... Immediate damage may occur. Not recommended for continuous use.

Acetone, pure - Ketone, Aliphatic
HDPE at 20C ..... Immediate damage may occur. Not recommended for continuous use.
HDPE at 50C ..... Immediate damage may occur. Not recommended for continuous use.

acetone loves to eat Smile
all of my posts are fictional. please interpret them as such.

memo
#4 Posted : 12/29/2008 7:03:24 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Hey, that's a great resource! Looks like there are some products that aren't affected by it though. I wonder about the photo that I was looking at that was an acetone Nalgene bottle that had the acetone hazmat symbols on it. Thanks again.
Avatar art created by unknown Cambodian or Laotian. Everything else is fiction.