We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Adding Method to the Madness Options

vovin
#1 Posted : 3/15/2012 2:29:41 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Senior Member | Skills: Prototype and Design Engineer amongst other things, Craftsman

I think it will come as no surprise to say that the nexus has had some big issues as of late. Most importantly casual mentality that has been plaguing the forums. It's ok to explore and look into nonlinear things. But before you make that post, I ask, what will it benefit you or the people of this community in the end? We have a responsibility here to maintain the professionalism of the Nexus and the seriousness that we undertake this journey. Every day more and more people come to this site seeking to learn more about our world. It is vital to the future of this culture that we are taken seriously.

Those of us who have been around for a while must bear the burden and the consequences of our actions. We made this chemical popular, easy to get, and left little as far as guidance to do with the experience afterward. We cannot turn away from those who are lost because we don’t want to deal with the consequences of our actions. You cannot simply hand out a recipe for the most powerful mind altering experience one can possibly take and just wish the journeyman the best of luck.

I think we must inevitably ask ourselves "To What End". This is the most important question as it shows us the need for a discernable path to guide those who have taken the ultimate of leaps. Without this guidance we are all just feeling around in the dark. So what should it be, are we just a drug forum teaching people how to get really, really high, or are we looking to attain something from all of this effort.

DMT has the power to change at a very basic level, how a person sees his existence. It is a death that we can return from, a journey beyond the realm of corporeal matter. It is not for the foolish but we do not make this distinction until after someone has set foot upon this path not before we give them the means.

This is a limiting factor we cannot hide this knowledge, so all must have it but we so desperately need to move beyond extraction and experience reports that afford nothing more than a counseling session. We must take responsibility for our actions, here on this forum and in the world. We must realize the significance of putting someone on the path. We cannot turn our backs on them when they get lost seeking the light.

At times we look to farm the cream of the crop from this site and this elitist attitude does serve those who are of that click but it serves to create a separation. So easily we forget the folly of our own youth. Who am I to judge when I can tell tales more extreme than most of the new members. Were it not for my persona I doubt I would be so welcome here considering my extremist experimentation. Time and the scars of mistakes past have tempered my actions. Not all here have that luxury or the luck.

It is the duty of those who came before to guide new peoples until it comes time for them to surpass us and lead as we did. It is how all societies are built.

Our world is failing, we are seeing a major influx of people coming here for a new way when the world around has abandoned them. It is unethical of us to turn our back on them also especially after giving them free lease to take on this mantle only to throw them to the side when we don’t like how quickly they grow.

From a man who has had to learn everything the hard way and made just about every mistake that a man could make, I see their plight; I was there with no one to help me. Somehow I found my way, DMT helped with that, I was lucky, very lucky. I still have a long way to go but I have plenty of wise minds to help me see the way. It is our responsibility to lead as well as follow; it is a sharp edge to walk on. Those of experience must endeavor not to get caught up in their own egos but we cannot shirk off the mantle of responsibility either.

The world is slowly looking to cultures such as this to give meaning to life. If we can’t aid them in their journey even if it is for a short way then we are doing nothing but deluding ourselves into thinking we are accomplishing something here just to keep away from the real world.

It is important for our new members to take this seriously. This is not a game and the consequences can be very real. This is the pinnacle of experimentation; it’s not your old fashioned MaryJane. It is just as important for those battleworn veterans to take a breath and remember that once we were the young ones lost in the dark seeking a way. Some of us had help, some did not, but it is unenlightened of us not to aid a fellow brother who is seeking the very same thing because he is not as far along as we might think we are.

It is for this reason I propose a discussion on the realistic goals that can be attained post experience. A next step so to speak that will give the community both new and old a goal to focus on and seek to accomplish. We have very smart people here and there are thousands of them. We have years of data and the place in which to collaborate. Is it not time for us to start discussion what shall come of all of this? Will we forever perpetuate forth extracting and ingesting this mystical chemical never seeking anything beyond an experience?

I think we must now begin to set goals and projects to attain this next step of evolution. We possess a tool more powerful than the common man could comprehend. We need to use it and stop playing with it. The world now knows of our little secret; it’s in the movies and on television. As we speak thousands come here to see what this has to offer. This is not a time for us to fail in our efforts. So many have sacrificed so much, it cannot be in vein. We must seek to make this an effort worthwhile. I think it is time we really try to answer some of these questions we all have. It will take real work, real focus, and real commitment.

General Outline:

Idle hands are the devils tools and all that. Giving the community an outlet for their exploratory desires would prove effective on many levels. It will give us more credibility to outside eyes as well as keep the craziness at a minimum. Plus real progress in the exploration of DMT requires this otherwise we are just working on making the chemical and then outputting a ton of experience reports followed by questions that we have no means to answer which I think leads many of these people to looking at the crackpot theories that cult like leaders simply feed on.

Here is a breakdown as I see it, feel free to insert your ideas:

History: Creating a distinctive log as best as can be done of the history of DMT and its evolution from origin to present. Very through and with reliable references, allowing us to farm what information we can from historical records. Those that came before spent thousands of years with this chemical. It would be foolish of us to think they had not learned much from it.

Chemistry: Those who have knowledge can take what we 'know' and build a theoretical basis to extrapolate as best our resources can how DMT affects the mind chemically. I know we don’t have the resources for a thorough exploration of this subject but a great deal can be done. Academia is hindered by the legal process. At this point I don’t think anyone would argue that such things are of no concern to us.

Mystical: A philosophical study of the spiritual aspects of DMT as well as other psychedelic compounds, this would tie in well with the history project. Studying various rituals and their influence on the experience and how it affects our more spiritual nature.

Psychological: This is where detailed experience reports would be of greatest use. Determining why we see what we see. How it effects our perceptions of our lives and how it affects us in the long term.

Consistency Study: A project set forth to find and map the distinctive similarities of DMT. This is where I think we will find some real information that might play into many of the other projects. Through the filter of description I think a lot of the similarities of our experiences are lost.

Variables and their effects: A detailed study of all variables associated with DMT like the inclusion of MAOI and RIMA each analyzed as to what they do to the overall experience and tied to the consistency study. These two would allow us to map formulas and mixtures. As well as potentially find other new experiences.

For example I always see that Syrian rue causes an experience to take on a darker tone than other changa blends.

Non chemical variables: My favorite field of study, I have found that there is a considerable amount of tools that are not chemical that drastically affects the experience. Anything from binaural feedback to floatation tanks, to strobe light effects to location and setting.

From projects like this we could get a fuzzy map of hyperspace which can be worked on to create more detail as correlations are established.

What I see is we have the manpower, the brains, and more guinea pigs than we can shake a stick at, really all we need is the organizational force to undertake this. Any results could even be published as a book that would pay for further research if such a thing is desirable at the time, or freely published.

Right now we have 15,000 soloists shooting around in the dark and I think a lot of the reason that we have the issues is there really is not real creative output except for pure speculation that always leads to flights of fancy. Many inspired minds but no real designated path for that insight to be focused.

Take the auditory effects of DMT for example as it inspired this idea. Once a general consensus is established that denotes the general tone of the auditory effects, then a simple vote system with 5 possible choices could narrow this down. Something like, listen to these 5 sound files and pick the one most similar to your experience. Once this is done and the predominant one established a second tier of sound files would further define this. Essentially, a focused attempt to bring the experience into our world as best as we can to compare experiences.

Success or not, it will give us an answer to one of the big questions as to whether our experiences are close or really far away something that a standard experience reports has trouble doing as it is really difficult to describe our experience without a point of reference.

Data from these experiences would have to be solid. For example the auditory experience would have to start out as utilization of pure DMT without any other chemical that might alter the effects. Other compounds could be added once a reliable baseline is established. Through a forum voting system we could systematically define each aspect of the experience and see what correlations lie.

The membership of the Nexus is currently in collaboration on how to attain this goal. It is a major undertaking that will require the efforts of many here new members and old 'veterans' alike. I ask that you contemplate your role in this great undertaking and possibly begin preparations where you will be able to contribute.

Soon will come a time where 'Professors' will be needed, researchers will be desired, and students will be offered a school instead of a drug forum. This is by no means the path of least resistance. It will take work, long thankless hours of work. There will be no turning back you must be willing to follow through with your commitment.

Have patience as our administrators collaborate and implement the new structure, understand they have a epic task to undertake. The institution is only as strong as it's foundation and thus even the most basic of errors will weaken our undertakings here. This way is no longer a game, no longer is it a flight of fancy. It is a chance to make history, to be seen as something that fills the void of desire, the lust to know and to understand.
If you don't sin, Jesus died for nothing.

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

Kash
#2 Posted : 3/15/2012 3:11:52 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Senior Member | Skills: Chemistry and Programming

Great post, spoken like a leader!

It is good to hear your story and I definitly agree alot with what you say. DMT accomplishes things for people in a way nothing else can. It is kind of cool to realize that now is an upcoming peak of experimentaion with DMT, where will the road lead?

vovin wrote:
What I see is we have the manpower, the brains, and more guinea pigs than we can shake a stick at

LOL made me laugh, this is very true.

vovin wrote:
Soon will come a time where 'Professors' will be needed, researchers will be desired, and students will be offered a school instead of a drug forum. This is by no means the path of least resistance. It will take work, long thankless hours of work. There will be no turning back you must be willing to follow through with your commitment.

Omg.. how I long for that time..

Although I love the way the nexus is now, it is good to see there is work being done and restructuring to make it more organized. It will be very interesting seeing where the nexus goes from here.
--------------------------------------------------*Kash's LSA Extraction* * Kash's Mescaline Extraction*------------------------------------------------------
All things I say are complete and utter ramblings of nonsense. Do not consider taking anything iterated from the depths of my subconsciousness rationally and/or seriously.

ayalove
#3 Posted : 3/15/2012 3:51:02 AM

DMT-Nexus member

very timley with Trav's transition to "entheogenic university." I would like to point out the fact that flourishing communities of thought begin at the forum level and ideas are created only as passionate members zero in on certain thoughts. What makes true progress in the development of knowledge happens when people are close geographically. Real breakthroughs occur when people can make links between existing knowledge and new knowledge. When people can tie ideas they have learned from one and ideas learned from another true innovation can be achieved. Unfortunately I feel the internet isn't the appropriate place for this to take place. Its hard enough to convey ideas while talking to people let alone without being able to actively relay and interpret facial expression, tone, pitch, emotion, intent and confidence of the speaker...PLUS taking the time to write down an epiphany after a journey is sooo anoying! For this to truly become an "entheogenic university" I think we need to establish a location untainted and uncontrolled by the intolerant. This way our social relays can strengthen and expand to the point we are operating at the level of a think tank. With out a physical presence I feel your seriousness is going to be overlooked by many and projects with potential may be dismissed. Anyway those are my thoughts take them how you will.
Love + Light
"for as long as there is love and light; I will fight for what is right; as a warrior with all my might; I will guarantee that hope shines bright" --Prayer of the Paladin

"If you labor, you are a "laborer", If you work on a farm, you are a "farmer", If you flow, you are a "flower""--Forest Sage

Community, Love and Passion Smile

vovin
#4 Posted : 3/15/2012 4:23:55 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Senior Member | Skills: Prototype and Design Engineer amongst other things, Craftsman

ayalove wrote:
very timley with Trav's transition to "entheogenic university." I would like to point out the fact that flourishing communities of thought begin at the forum level and ideas are created only as passionate members zero in on certain thoughts. What makes true progress in the development of knowledge happens when people are close geographically. Real breakthroughs occur when people can make links between existing knowledge and new knowledge. When people can tie ideas they have learned from one and ideas learned from another true innovation can be achieved. Unfortunately I feel the internet isn't the appropriate place for this to take place. Its hard enough to convey ideas while talking to people let alone without being able to actively relay and interpret facial expression, tone, pitch, emotion, intent and confidence of the speaker...PLUS taking the time to write down an epiphany after a journey is sooo anoying! For this to truly become an "entheogenic university" I think we need to establish a location untainted and uncontrolled by the intolerant. This way our social relays can strengthen and expand to the point we are operating at the level of a think tank. With out a physical presence I feel your seriousness is going to be overlooked by many and projects with potential may be dismissed. Anyway those are my thoughts take them how you will.
Love + Light

As they say, one step at a time, it's something I myself have contemplated, there are so few of us and the world so vast. Fact is most of the membership is spread about the world. How many would be willing to take up roots and move to a location wherein a society is established. And that society would need a number of said like minds to lay it's foundation. There is also the issue of location, after all wouldn't it be American egocentric to assume that this physical community exist in the Americas where such freedoms are suppressed, moreso everyday. We are at the first steps of evolution, a evolution that has been long coming, the result is that many want to make great steps as excitement overwhelms us, I dissuade this as it is a dangerous thing to move too fast without examination. That is not to say the nexus will not some day occupy a physical place. I just do not think that time is ripe, not yet, but soon.

I don't think it would be too foolish to say, as of late given the current situation in the world that I have not though of such things, this internet in which we most rely is in the hands of powers that would oppose us. The world itself in turmoil, I see with a flip if a digital switch that all could be lost the connection we so enjoy around this great blue/green globe lost in a instant due to a signing of some bill by a man who knows nothing of such things. However; I think it best to concentrate on the task at hand and allow this picture to evolve on it's own accord.
If you don't sin, Jesus died for nothing.

Key Omen
#5 Posted : 3/15/2012 4:24:16 AM

DMT-Nexus member

As an outlined concept of the specific legacy we are to pass on, these are some supporting topics that go to personify the Nexus mandala into the perspective of newcomers/youth to have a positive outcome on the psyche of those in need. I'm curious to see what kind of classes would be offered, and if they would in fact be transferable. This would alter the way we (or more appropriately - I) look at this outline.

This is in no particular order because we have not begun refining a group analysis
1 Current ideal humans (call them what you will)
2 spiritual economy, different forms of wealth - soul, merit, formulation, instant satisfaction
3 historical and current ways to the self, karma, dreams
4 learning the ropes of dmt use
5 phyto/organic chemistry botany
6 health and medicine
7 art and perspectives, ways humans perceive (imperfection) free will, references for methods of creating art
8 community
9 Society and its shadows
10 personal shadows and individuation
11 empathy and apathy of both self love and altruism, compassion, understanding
12 interactions and contracts
13 discipline
14 communication
15 freaking out, loosing it, imbalance, mental stability, dependency
16 livelihood for self and helping others with theirs
17 sustainability
18 gratitude
19 being open and receptive, listening, holding space, silence and order
20 energy, energetic, vibes, auras, music/dance
21 temptation and distraction
22 experience
23 opposition
24 recopies for Ayahuasca (including rue, acacia, analogues)
23 methods of extraction for vaporizing and snuff (food grade ideally)
24 synergism
25 drugs are not needed and they are beneficial
26 escapism vs ceremony
27 references for psychedelic knowledge
28 Current world issues, eg: human rights, population and pollution, war food and poverty, deforestation, economy and justice
29 nexian quotations
30 death and initiation, and the minutia that loses importance
31 misguided youth

Pandora
#6 Posted : 3/15/2012 7:56:29 PM

Got Naloxone?

Welcoming committeeSenior Member

vovin,

Truly awesome post. So well thought out and presented. You make a strong and passionate case.

This is a beautiful thing and more than worthy of pursuit. I'm sure there are folks like myself who are neither scientist, professor, researcher, nor 100% student either (though always that, always) who would love to contribute. I just cannot imagine how. You are setting very high and exacting standards.

I keep thinking something is happening and all these changes at Nexus are just a small manifestation of an overall larger pattern. It's really quite amazing. It fills me with wonder. It's like as everything descends into utter chaos and insanity in the overall world/consensual reality there are these concerted efforts being made to . . . . .fight this mental/collective entropy . . . . and when I see this happening all I can say is WOW! It's like the experience level and information saturation of the current moment is so rich that people are "breaking through" to new levels . . . . I wish I could express it better.

So, not to detract from your OP too much with a rant, again, . . . truly awesome post.

I look forward to the future, be it personal, collective, Nexus or whatever with truly bated breath . . .
"But even if nothing lasts and everything is lost, there is still the intrinsic value of the moment. The present moment, ultimately, is more than enough, a gift of grace and unfathomable value, which our friend and lover death paints in stark relief."
-Rick Doblin, Ph.D. MAPS President, MAPS Bulletin Vol. XX, No. 1, pg. 2

Hyperspace LOVES YOU

SnozzleBerry
#7 Posted : 3/16/2012 2:58:37 PM

omnia sunt communia!

Moderator | Skills: Growing (plants/mushrooms), Research, Extraction troubleshooting, Harmalas, Revolution (theory/practice)

Vovin..looks great, glad to see it more fleshed out. One critique...we need a Botanical section. There's a lot of work to do with figuring out what indigenous identified plants match which latin names (and even which latin names are synonyms for other ones, which is easier).

While finding myself far more intrigued with the neuropharmacological effects and the ontologies and implications of ritual and individual use of these plants, the botanical morphology and physiology must be laid down as a foundation, lest we not actually know what species or varieties we're dealing with...not to mention making the chemistry of these plants worthwhile. After all, what good is knowing the chemicals in a given leaf/vine/etc. if you don't actually know what plant it is?

I plan on starting a couple of 'projects' or inquiries in this area, utilizing a number of resources made available to me through some perosnal connections. I would be thrilled to work on this with anyone who's interested.
WikiAttitudeFAQ
The NexianNexus ResearchThe OHT
In New York, we wrote the legal number on our arms in marker...To call a lawyer if we were arrested.
In Istanbul, People wrote their blood types on their arms. I hear in Egypt, They just write Their names.
גם זה יעבור

Macre
#8 Posted : 3/16/2012 3:25:34 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Thank you vovin, serious food for thought. I shall take some time to further digest your post over the next few days. I like the idea of the great purpose and substance that can be obtained by this. Thank you for this great contribution which I will look forward to pondering further.

Peace

Macre
All things stated within this website by myself are expressly intended for entertainment purposes only.

All people in general, and users of this site are encouraged by myself, other members, and DMT-Nexus, to know and abide by the laws of the jurisdiction in which they are situated.

I, other members, and DMT-Nexus, do not condone or encourage the use, supply, or production of illegal drugs or controlled substances in any way whatsoever.

Pistolsdrummer
#9 Posted : 3/16/2012 4:30:27 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Vovin, this post struck such a chord in me. I know I am very green as far as DMT, and the nexus go, but I would ecstatic to provide my time and services in any capacity I am able and any way the senior members would see fit to further this project. I never went to college, and have been a blue collar worker all my life, but I am very intelligent, and detirmined. When set on a path, I give it my all and do my very best. If I can be of any service at anytime, please let me know. I'd be happy to answer any questions as well to detirmines what if any help I could be. The mere thought of this idea just feels so right on the path I've been taking these last two to three years.
Everything I say on this site is a fictitious story thought up while dreaming. But damn if those dreams are not fun!

Make a friend of your fear, it is there to show you something. Accept the message it delivers and integrate it within you as a part of you.

Macre
#10 Posted : 3/17/2012 10:54:04 AM

DMT-Nexus member

vovin wrote:
History: Creating a distinctive log as best as can be done of the history of DMT and its evolution from origin to present. Very through and with reliable references, allowing us to farm what information we can from historical records. Those that came before spent thousands of years with this chemical. It would be foolish of us to think they had not learned much from it.

Chemistry: Those who have knowledge can take what we 'know' and build a theoretical basis to extrapolate as best our resources can how DMT affects the mind chemically. I know we don’t have the resources for a thorough exploration of this subject but a great deal can be done. Academia is hindered by the legal process. At this point I don’t think anyone would argue that such things are of no concern to us.

Mystical: A philosophical study of the spiritual aspects of DMT as well as other psychedelic compounds, this would tie in well with the history project. Studying various rituals and their influence on the experience and how it affects our more spiritual nature.

Psychological: This is where detailed experience reports would be of greatest use. Determining why we see what we see. How it effects our perceptions of our lives and how it affects us in the long term.

Consistency Study: A project set forth to find and map the distinctive similarities of DMT. This is where I think we will find some real information that might play into many of the other projects. Through the filter of description I think a lot of the similarities of our experiences are lost.

Variables and their effects: A detailed study of all variables associated with DMT like the inclusion of MAOI and RIMA each analyzed as to what they do to the overall experience and tied to the consistency study. These two would allow us to map formulas and mixtures. As well as potentially find other new experiences.

For example I always see that Syrian rue causes an experience to take on a darker tone than other changa blends.

Non chemical variables: My favorite field of study, I have found that there is a considerable amount of tools that are not chemical that drastically affects the experience. Anything from binaural feedback to floatation tanks, to strobe light effects to location and setting.

From projects like this we could get a fuzzy map of hyperspace which can be worked on to create more detail as correlations are established.

This is a firm, well though out basis for the evolution of knowledge and information. It's a solid foundation to build on, a direction to follow, to avoid the risk of "Going round in circles".

History: This is very important. To move forwards we have to track backwards, to the best of our abilities. How can we know where we are destined, or the path we are taking, if we don't know where we have been?

Chemistry: This side of the coin, helps us understand things from the physical perspective. The knowledge we seek is multi-faceted. How can we understand what is happening beyond our realm, if we don't know what is happening at home?

Mystical: Perhaps the greatest piece of knowledge, is that which finds a link between the scientific and the mystical. This is the other side of the coin. Charting how spiritual rituals change or alter the experience, and building on this, may possibly start giving definitive answers.

Psychological: Reasoning is another fundamental of knowledge and experience. I guess "Why" is the pinnacle of knowing, at least from a human perspective. We are constrained, but we can still evolve. Maybe one day we may realise we are not as bridled as we think we are.

Consistency Study: This is where an empirical study of what we experience, can be charted. The very basis for mapping knowledge is looking for, testing, evaluating and eventually understanding consistencies.

Variables and their effects:This gives greater leverage to the consistency study. Variables and formula do of course, give the greatest means to understand and perpetuate change. Like vovin said, this could potentially find other new experiences, which also ties in with the Psychological aspect.

Non chemical variables: This is a huge area of study, and gives even greater scope to change. Teamed with the study of chemical variables, and consistency; we can start trying to piece everything together, to the best of our abilities. This also ties in with the Mystical aspect.

Peace

Macre
All things stated within this website by myself are expressly intended for entertainment purposes only.

All people in general, and users of this site are encouraged by myself, other members, and DMT-Nexus, to know and abide by the laws of the jurisdiction in which they are situated.

I, other members, and DMT-Nexus, do not condone or encourage the use, supply, or production of illegal drugs or controlled substances in any way whatsoever.

TmC47
#11 Posted : 3/22/2012 10:22:32 PM

Nice guy

Just... beautiful. You've put it better then I ever could Vovin. Thank you.
benzyme wrote:
you're preparing drugs, not salad.

kaos.underwave
#12 Posted : 4/21/2012 12:24:10 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Excellent post. I feel strongly that a greater understanding of the variables involved would allow some level of consistency in outcomes (experience and post-experience) through technique and guidance. This leads to harm-reduction, greater direction and precision for different ends, and more 'efficient' practice, in terms of realising one's initial intention.

Your post seems to focus in part on 'To what end?' posts, but also 'To What End DMT?' If you commission a collaborative, comprehensive literature review of resources pertaining to rationale or motivation for engaging in psychedelic (or perhaps specifically DMT) experience, in terms of desired or potential outcomes, a workgroup could cover the data quickly, and it would be a good place to start figuring out what purposes, perceived outcomes, techniques, and models have existed in the past. Might be a good way to start objectively imagining what can be gained post-experience, and why, and how?

Hell, why not turn every one of those headings into a couple of research questions, and declare a lit review for each. I've been trying to investigate variables under the headings, Set, Setting and biological/pharmacological, which cover the chemistry, physiology, psychology and environment variables together quite nicely, and their effects on the experience and outcomes.

I wonder if anyone has any resources on collaborative lit review (or general research) using a digital medium?
It seems clear inclusion/exclusion criteria for resources, appraisal criteria, and assignation of project leads or supervisors, would be necessary to keep control over quality and direction, and integrate the work. Off the top of my head. Anyway, awesome post Vovin, there's lots of learning there to be had by all, and hopefully lots more to come.

PS What do you think about using Interpretative Phenomenological Analysis with a hierarchical (and extremely detailed and complex) code table to elucidate and quantify consistencies between experience reports? This methodology uses coding to define and identify themes, which can range from general to very specific elements of experience, and could potentially build a database to simplify looking at proportions and relationships in the data.
Onwards and upwards