We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
«PREV345
The Case Against DMT Elves - James Kent Options

anrchy
#81 Posted : 7/3/2012 8:29:30 PM

DMT-Nexus member

benzyme wrote:
tele wrote:
benzyme wrote:
those are the most obvious.

so how would you suggest a tree, or a mailbox, is conscious?

Who, Me? I haven't thought about it and don't know what to think about it completely, but:
Firstly mailbox and tree are completely different things(one is alive). Secondly, if something is alive doesn't it mean it almost has to have some kind of consciousness? Even if it's only code in it's structure that tells it to breathe(and grow etc basics). Maybe one way to look at it is that if it breathes, it is conscious?

ok, so how could you determine if coral is conscious?

to me, the definition of conscious is awareness of self and others.

I agree with this definition.

I think in the future when asking somones opinion on something THEIR definition should be noted. Other wise we keep defining things in our own way and never really come to an actual answer.

When you are unconscious you are not aware, of yourself or others. When you become conscious you are then aware. i apply this to defining things that are conscious.

Open your Mind () Please read my DMT vaping guide () Fear is the mind killer

"Energy flows where attention goes"

[Please review the forum Wiki and FAQ before posting questions]

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

christian
#82 Posted : 7/3/2012 8:39:40 PM

DMT-Nexus member

jamie wrote:
yes it has been observed that certain area of the brain were less active..but that does not mean that other area are not more active then before..I am not saying the data that people have compiled is not valid-it is..but there is much we do not understand at this point about psychedelics and how they effect the nervous system.

Jamie, Prof Nutt said that Psilocybin actually shut down a part of the brain that is overstimulated in depressed people. I don't think he noticed that it actively engaged other parts of their brain. However that was just Psilocybin. Maybe more studies into the functioning of the brain will reveal more plausible explanations for elf visions to those that have participated in the spirit molecule.

Eliyahu wrote:
What I am suggesting is that the universe transforms itself according to the actions of each individual observer.

The spirit reveals itself and proves itself to a person in such a way that leaves no doubt of it's realness. By the same token it does it in just such a way that the person could never prove the realness to another. This way everyone has to experience the spirit world first hand and no one can ever just know that it exists without experiencing it themselves..

I dig this explanation, Eliyahu!

I think you have summed up the need for what Terence McKenna described as the "felt prescence of experience", or something. It's no good reading other peoples trip reports, yes they are interesting, but we are all on different paths and need to create our own experiences and not live off those of others!

Questioning visions of elves and jaguars might interest some, but might irritate others. What is interesting is how Ayahuasca can for example generate visions of such things in people in all parts of the world where there are no such creatures. Images of Anacondas in France or England..Why don't they see local creatures???... There's definately some plant intelligence going on there. Tarantulas, Boas, Anacondas, Jaguars, are animals from the Jungle. Seeing is believing as they say. Most of us believe in what we see, and some question, and some doubt. Such is human nature.

Each person must seek their own path in life, and hopefully they will recieve the knowledge that is for them. What they choose to do with that knowledge is for them to decide, and should not be left for others to interpret. I guess people need to have more trust in their mindsets.

"Eat your vegetables and do as you're told, or you won't be going to the funfair!"

corpus callosum
#83 Posted : 7/3/2012 8:44:28 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Medical DoctorModerator

Heres an excellent piece, which I reckon both sides in the tos and fros above earlier in the thread should get some benefit from.A 'refresher' for some, and an intriguing take on the question "What is consciousness?" for others.

http://www.quantumconsci...consciousness.html#roger

Easier reading for those who know some physics.
I am paranoid of my brain. It thinks all the time, even when I'm asleep. My thoughts assail me. Murderous lechers they are. Thought is the assassin of thought. Like a man stabbing himself with one hand while the other hand tries to stop the blade. Like an explosion that destroys the detonator. I am paranoid of my brain. It makes me unsettled and ill at ease. Makes me chase my tail, freezes my eyes and shuts me down. Watches me. Eats my head. It destroys me.

universecannon
#84 Posted : 7/3/2012 8:48:00 PM

Moderator | Skills: harmalas, melatonin, trip advice, lucid dreaming

^ yea i've spent quite some time at that site before. Very interesting stuff!

<Ringworm>hehehe, it's all fun and games till someone loses an "I"

Hiyo Quicksilver
#85 Posted : 7/3/2012 9:00:40 PM

just some guy

This whole dark matter, collective unconscious, teeming nexus of human souls etc thing... It's just silly. People are going to chase fantastic explanations for their experience, they always have (every other mythology ever, etc.)... other people are going to try and shoot them down and say the experience is meaningless because it's so fantastical. C'est la vie. Personally this guy only bothers me as much as Strassman with his "dark matter" BS.

Besides, it's pretty friggin stupid to be arguing the technical points of a strong drug trip when we don't know ourselves, our minds and bodies, and the mechanisms behind such intense hallucination anyway. These are the things to look into before assuming anything on the subject of the validity of visions... otherwise you're just shooting in the ark and asking to be made a fool.

Furthermore... We all should damn well know what the real important stuff is here. Authors and Doctors chasing hallucinations like a bunch of Honeymooners just wastes time and effort... and makes us ALL look like a bunch of idiots arguing over how crazy we actually are.

Doodazzle
#86 Posted : 7/3/2012 9:21:18 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Sigh....it depends who you're talking to, sometimes.

Once, I was talking with my girlfriend. Smart chick. She has a degree in science stuff. She gets going on quantum talk, and it's all cool and stuff, but it goes on for awhile. And the point she's driving to, oh golly, this ones going blow yer socks off fellas, get ready! It was some sort of quantum model, "proving" that everything is conscious. Or that consciousness is the fundemental state of stuff, like matter, energy, consciousness. You know the type of talk I mean.

Wowee zowee, I told her. Animism. You just spent like an hour describing...animism. Science is totally fun sometimes, but spare me the hours long rant to tell me nothing new. Yup, stuff is conscious. Shamans the world over have always said that.

My 2-bits. No offense intended towards other view points.

You know....I haven't read trialogues at the edge of the west since 1999 when I first got it, but I think it was that book where someone offered a definition of consciousness that I liked. Basically they said that a hallmark of consciousness would be chemical reactions going off. Stasis looks less conscious.

Then again, pluto may seem dead....but in the long run, it's a part of a much larger chemical proccess, our solar system.

"Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods." Albert Einstein

I appreciate your perspective.

The Traveler
#87 Posted : 7/3/2012 9:22:21 PM

"No, seriously"

Administrator | Skills: DMT, LSD, Programming

Looking at this thread makes me sad. People are throwing bad things at each other, forgetting how to have a good debate, and somehow a lot of people also forget to keep their critical thinking alive.

I will keep this thread locked for now.

The Traveler

«PREV345