We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
How long until you could actually use a Mimosa Hostilis plant? Options

behindthelight
#1 Posted : 3/13/2012 2:07:27 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Let's say you planted a MH plant in your backyard that was 6-9 inches tall. How long until you could actually harvest some of the root bark? 5 years? 10 years?

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

MelCat
#2 Posted : 3/13/2012 2:30:27 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Depending on how fast it grows, I'd say at least 2 - 3 years.

Once it starts producing seed pods, that would be a sure fire way to know it's got some alkaloid content to it.
Convert a melodic element into a rhythmic element...

jamie
#3 Posted : 3/13/2012 3:25:04 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expert | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growingSenior Member | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growing

yeah a couple years...the upside is that it is a very easy plant to grow. Well worth it IMO to have this very special plant in your garden.
Long live the unwoke.

behindthelight
#4 Posted : 3/13/2012 10:10:31 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Sweet. I found a site that sells them already planted and they are like 6" tall. I'm gonna order one and plant it.

Do you guys have any idea how big they get? Height and Width?

Thanks.

jamie
#5 Posted : 3/13/2012 10:37:39 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expert | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growingSenior Member | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growing

taller than you, and very bushy if you grow them that way..well if you top them I guess..depends on how much light they get I guess..at first though they just grow straight up it seems.

They are very easy to start from seed. I started all mine from seed but an already established plant should do well too once it gets acustomed to your climate I guess.

Just dont baby it too much and overwater it etc..this plant is a survivor so dont worry to much just give it light and water when the soil drys out, some nutrients here and there and dont let it freeze. It thrives when temps are warmer I find..grows alot in the summer here.
Long live the unwoke.

MelCat
#6 Posted : 3/13/2012 11:06:43 PM

DMT-Nexus member

behindthelight wrote:
Sweet. I found a site that sells them already planted and they are like 6" tall. I'm gonna order one and plant it.

Do you guys have any idea how big they get? Height and Width?

Thanks.

Well, it depends on a lot of factors like jamie was saying.

The first and foremost is the amount of root area you give it. If you keep it in a little pot, you'll have a little tree.

Give her a big pot and she'll obviously get a lot bigger.

Plant her in the ground and she'll get a whole lot bigger.

It seems the more you stress them, the more they thrive; at least for the local variety of mimosa's we have here in Florida. A buddy of mine tried to remove some mimosa trees that were too close to his house and the more he tried to remove them, the heartier it would grow back. He finally gave up and that thing is massively huge now.

If you use a good soil (I recommend FoxFarm Ocean Forest with some coca-coir and Light Warrior, also from Fox Farm) then you should be able to control the size (somewhat) by the pot size.

As jamie stated, their natural course of growth is strait up before they branch out but you could do some (VERY LIGHT AND MILD) pruning in the first couple of years to make her bush out more at the beginning. I really don't recommend that because they don't sprout many new growth spots. If you do prune, make sure that you leave at least one sprig of growth on there. That would be something to practice more when you have more plants (seedlings or clones) to work with.

Just give her love and listen to her and you should be fine. Happy gardening! Smile

behindthelight
#7 Posted : 3/14/2012 1:16:06 AM
DMT-Nexus member

jamie wrote:
taller than you, and very bushy if you grow them that way..well if you top them I guess..depends on how much light they get I guess..at first though they just grow straight up it seems.

They are very easy to start from seed. I started all mine from seed but an already established plant should do well too once it gets acustomed to your climate I guess.

Just dont baby it too much and overwater it etc..this plant is a survivor so dont worry to much just give it light and water when the soil drys out, some nutrients here and there and dont let it freeze. It thrives when temps are warmer I find..grows alot in the summer here.

So, do you like to keep your in a pot or do you like to plant it outside in the ground?

jamie
#8 Posted : 3/14/2012 2:49:34 AM

DMT-Nexus member

behindthelight wrote:
jamie wrote:

So, do you like to keep your in a pot or do you like to plant it outside in the ground?

I am on the west coast of canada, so mine are in pots. In florida I would imagine they will do good outdoors in the ground though..so would a number of acacia species I would bet..
Long live the unwoke.

MelCat
#9 Posted : 3/14/2012 2:44:25 PM

DMT-Nexus member

behindthelight wrote:
Melodic Catastrophe wrote:

It seems the more you stress them, the more they thrive; at least for the local variety of mimosa's we have here in Florida.

So, you are telling me that there are wild MH plants in Florida?

I live in South Florida.

The native trees here in Florida are not Mimosa Hostilis...

I believe the breed/strain is called Mimosa Pudica (shy plant).

EDIT : More info can be found here on the Mimosa Pudica strain. Be careful, potentially very toxic.
https://www.dmt-nexus.me...&m=313300#post313300

MH should grow fine in South Florida though. Just make sure to keep it away from any frosts.

The native mimosa pudica plants die off every winter and come back in the spring. I'm not 100% sure that mimosa hostilis would come back in the spring if it got frosted but it could be possible. I'd rather play it safe than sorry and keep her away from extreme cold if at all possible.

When I first learned about DMT I tried to extract some from the local Mimosa Pudica plants. I got some yield using a STB w/ NaOH and Naptha but I had no way to test what was or wasn't in there; so I never used any of it.

I'd try it again if I had access to some testing equipment.

behindthelight
#10 Posted : 3/14/2012 11:27:32 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Alright cool. Well, I guess I will try to plant one in a big pot so I can bring it in the house if it gets cold.

Kash
#11 Posted : 3/15/2012 2:17:35 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Senior Member | Skills: Chemistry and Programming

I have been curious for awhile how exactly you grow a MH tree and can harvest bark for spice without killing the tree?
--------------------------------------------------*Kash's LSA Extraction* * Kash's Mescaline Extraction*------------------------------------------------------
All things I say are complete and utter ramblings of nonsense. Do not consider taking anything iterated from the depths of my subconsciousness rationally and/or seriously.

behindthelight
#12 Posted : 3/15/2012 2:45:53 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Kash wrote:
I have been curious for awhile how exactly you grow a MH tree and can harvest bark for spice without killing the tree?

lol...yeah...I was thinking about that too....but I figured I would worry about that when the time came...

jamie
#13 Posted : 3/15/2012 2:55:52 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I think normally when mimosa is harvested they harvest about 1/3rd of the roots and then trim the branches a bit..this does not kill the tree..it keeps on growing.

Stem/branch bark is active as well from what I have heard..but it it like 10-20x less potent than rootbark..but hey when my trees are bending over at the cieling and I neeed to chop some branches off I wont be complaining even if I get 1 or 2 doses of branch bark..

This is I got a whole wack of different acacia seeds though about to germ that all have very active leaves..as well as some brachys..

Harvest what I can from each plant..

Ayahuasca Borealis.
Long live the unwoke.

Laban Shrewsbury III
#14 Posted : 3/15/2012 7:17:37 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I recommend pruning as harshly as you feel is safe. I have a couple going on a year old now, both indoor grown, and they're essentially just long thorny whips. And they shed over everything. The only way you could possibly believe mine are remotely good-looking plants is if you vaped the entire contents of the 12" pots they're growing in.

Those bonsai images make me somewhat jealous.
Sometimes I believe that this less material life is our truer life, and that our vain presence on the terraqueous globe is itself the secondary or merely virtual phenomenon.