We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
How to get a B. Caapi plant growing? Options

behindthelight
#1 Posted : 3/12/2012 8:52:47 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Hey, I am looking to get a B. Caapi plant growing and I am looking for some help. Can I just buy a plant online that someone has started for me that is already potted and everything? Or should I try to find some seeds and go from there. I live in South Florida, so it should grow pretty good right.

Just looking for some help on where I should begin. I pretty much know nothing about plants and gardening, but I am looking to change that.

Thanks.

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

alert
#2 Posted : 3/12/2012 8:59:41 PM
DMT-Nexus member

you can get live cuts from all over; there are a few on ebay as well

damon
#3 Posted : 3/12/2012 9:37:53 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Cuttings are better than seeds, which are very hard to find. If you find one rooted, that's even better but not necessary, the cuttings root easy, especially this time of year. HP is in your state and usually has cuttings, I think they grow the caapi themselves. I got a red cutting last spring and it grew to about 10 feet before it got cold, and now that it warmed up it already has another 2 feet of growth, from what seems like every single one of the hundreds of nodes. I'm kind of in a quandry because I didn't quite expect it to grow so fast, so I need to find some way to train it to have somewhere to go. It doesn't seem to like training though, it goes where it wants to go.

It's easy to grow, just don't put it in direct sun, ever. The distance between the nodes should be about 6 inches, any more and it is not enough light. When the vines hit direct light, growth is very slow and the leaves stay small. The biggest leaves, bigger than my hand, grow in the darkest spots. Put it somewhere it can grow into the light if it wants it. It likes to grow into trees. And don't let the soil dry out, it likes wet but not soaking, it needs to drain. Once it is well rooted with a foot or more of new growth, put it into the ground as soon as you can, especially in your location.

There are also some excellent threads here, you should especially look at the propagation thread by ringworm.

behindthelight
#4 Posted : 3/12/2012 10:54:55 PM
DMT-Nexus member

damon wrote:
Cuttings are better than seeds, which are very hard to find. If you find one rooted, that's even better but not necessary, the cuttings root easy, especially this time of year. HP is in your state and usually has cuttings, I think they grow the caapi themselves. I got a red cutting last spring and it grew to about 10 feet before it got cold, and now that it warmed up it already has another 2 feet of growth, from what seems like every single one of the hundreds of nodes. I'm kind of in a quandry because I didn't quite expect it to grow so fast, so I need to find some way to train it to have somewhere to go. It doesn't seem to like training though, it goes where it wants to go.

It's easy to grow, just don't put it in direct sun, ever. The distance between the nodes should be about 6 inches, any more and it is not enough light. When the vines hit direct light, growth is very slow and the leaves stay small. The biggest leaves, bigger than my hand, grow in the darkest spots. Put it somewhere it can grow into the light if it wants it. It likes to grow into trees. And don't let the soil dry out, it likes wet but not soaking, it needs to drain. Once it is well rooted with a foot or more of new growth, put it into the ground as soon as you can, especially in your location.

There are also some excellent threads here, you should especially look at the propagation thread by ringworm.

Awesome. Not sure what "HP" is, but I can probably google it and figure it out.

Thanks again, I'm definitely gonna order a cutting and get this going.

Dan
#5 Posted : 3/14/2012 6:03:19 PM

DMT-Nexus member

i live in south florida. growing yellow caapi myself. seems to grow well here. really looking forward to what spring holds for my plants and cacti this year.

goodluck.
Hey! You! Get off of my cloud!

alert
#6 Posted : 3/14/2012 6:06:52 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Zion wrote:
i live in south florida. growing yellow caapi myself. seems to grow well here. really looking forward to what spring holds for my plants and cacti this year.

goodluck.

I've been getting my mature yellow from a guy growing it in Florida and extracting ~2% alks

MelCat
#7 Posted : 3/14/2012 6:12:48 PM

DMT-Nexus member

alert wrote:
Zion wrote:

goodluck.

I've been getting my mature yellow from a guy growing it in Florida and extracting ~2% alks

NICE!!

I just bought a B. Caapi plant off of Ebay.

I had another one but it got exposed to frost and died soon after. Sad

The best soil you can get for them (in my opinion) is FoxFarm Ocean Forest & Light Warrior mixed with a bit of coconut coir and lots of worm castings. I throw in some of those clay pellets too to help with aeration..

I wish ya the best of luck with your new plants. It's definitely a rewarding feeling growing your own. <3
Convert a melodic element into a rhythmic element...