We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Acacia Longifolia Reliable? Options

mardybum
#1 Posted : 3/17/2007 4:51:09 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I recently found a few Acacia Longifolia's in my street. [img:2bd4e61f97]http://img482.imageshack.us/img482/1451/tree2p1wr2.th.jpg[/img:2bd4e61f97] [img:2bd4e61f97]http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/9819/tree2p2gb9.th.jpg[/img:2bd4e61f97] For SWIM's first extraction, he would enjoy it if it was a success. Since he has Heard so much negativity about the unreliability of Maidenii's he thinks Longifolia is more reliable. He has done a google and read a few people saying it is very reliable. Anyone can vouch for this comment? Where is the best place to collect highest alkaloid levels from? Bark or Leaves? Trunk or Branches? Keep in mind SWIM will mainly be focusing on fallen or broken branches or leaves. If highest alkaloid levels are in the trunk SWIM will only take a very small amount from there, but his main focus will be not harming the tree.

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

sillysyban
#2 Posted : 3/17/2007 5:59:00 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I am interested in longifolia as well. I have just found out that they are a weed in the national park next to my house. Keep each other posted?
THERE ARE 10 KINDS OF PEOPLE IN THE WORLD.
THOSE THAT KNOW THE BINARY SYSTEM AND THOSE THAT DONT.

mardybum
#3 Posted : 3/17/2007 7:02:29 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Sure thing. If I finf out any information, other than replies from this site, I will PM you.

rightangle
#4 Posted : 3/17/2007 7:14:31 AM
DMT-Nexus member

I think Longifolia are also variable, I've heard good reports and bad reports. Also I think that these variable acacias are most active during winter, but then I could be wrong on that too. Confused My friend thinks he got a hint of something from Longifolia. Sorry I can't be of more help. Experiment and share the results ! Your best bet is Obtusifolia, but they can be hard to find aswell. Who was it that said that DMT was everywhere !

Fable
#5 Posted : 7/26/2007 5:56:12 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Over the weekend I was on a mission to find some Changa, unfortunately the most likely options evaporated faster than the fuel in my carby as I raced along in the rain hoping that Saturday night might get a little psychedelic. I did find an Acacia longifolia on the way home and stopped to loot parts of the tree. After picking all the phyllodes off the branches I took I was left with 850g of phyllodes. I chopped these up with scissors and when my wrist got sore I slowly fed a bit more than half through the blender. I stopped because the blender started smoking as the motor was burning up. Anyway I simmered everything for an hour at pH 2 ish and left it overnight then strained, then boiled it again with more acidified water and strained that and added the portions. I had about 6 liters and had to simmer it down for ages to get 2 liters to work with. I have a kick ass 2l sep funnel which helps a lot, also a baby 500ml which hasn't been used in a while. Anyway I nudged the pH up to 13 ish and added 250ml of hot naptha, re using the naptha for the second portion. Im still evaping but I am not hopeful. I did smell that skatol smell which filled me with hope however I just don't see 1g of spice in the evap dish. I won't know difinitively until tomorrow. The ammount of muck that is produced from all the phyllodes is huge. I really hope that this time and effort has some happy ending. Ill keep you posted.
I am a leaf on the the wind, watch how I soar!

Viracocha
#6 Posted : 7/26/2007 6:40:00 AM

..still lc..

So you cooked the leaf in acidic water and then extracted with shellite, and now are evaporating the shellite ? ehhhhh i doubt you'll be able to smoke that man, like you said the amounts of fats in the leaf is huge, far more than in the bark I suspect you'll end up with gunk that will have dmt in it (if your leaf did) but it'll be so diluted in crap that it'll be basically impossible to get effects from so, if that's the case then i suggest you do this: 1. redissolve all your crap in fresh hot shellite (say 500mL) 2. prepare diluted acetic acid: 1 part vinegar, 3 parts distilled water 3. heat the dilute acetic acid, add 500mL to your shellite 4. shake, let separate, separate layers - keep the water layer !!! 5. do this twice more, combine the three dilute acetic acid washes 6. to you 1.5L of dilute acetic acid, add about 50grams of sodium hydroxide 7. ensure the pH is up around 14 and the mixture is hot 8. add 300mL of hot shellite to the above mixture 9. shake, let separate, separate layers - keep the shellite 10. repeat twice more, combine the shellite pulls 11. evaporate your 900mL of shellite down to 400mL relatively slowly (fan on low at a distance is fine - let it take about two hours) 12. Put your 400mL of shellite in a wide mouthed glass jar or tray and place in the freezer for two days 13. after two days you should see crystals stuck to the sides of the jar (provided your leaf was active) 14. VERY QUICKLY (within 10 seconds of removing from the freezer) pour off the shellite being careful not to agitate the crystals - they will stay on the sides of the jar 15. evaporate off excess shellite with a fan for half an hour or so 16. scrape up everything with a blade that is not hard to do at all just remember that when doing an extraction, there is very little difference between doing it poorly and doing it well. if you do the above you'll do good, don't half ass it, do it properly, and you'll be rewarded Smile all the best

quantumbrujo
#7 Posted : 7/26/2007 6:55:38 AM

DMT-Nexus member

You are right Coschi exept about one thing.If he does a shellite pull on the acified solution.There won't ba any DMT after evapping as the dmt is in it's salt form in acidic water and is not soluble in shellite.
I tried to say no to drugs but they wouldn't listen

Viracocha
#8 Posted : 7/26/2007 7:01:46 AM

..still lc..

fuck dang i made that mistake once obviously yes, basify first fool i didn't, hehe i got about 20mg spice from a kilo of bark and i thought 'what the fuck is th.. ohhhhhh' Rolling eyes

Fable
#9 Posted : 7/26/2007 8:15:18 AM

DMT-Nexus member

This was basically my first try to see if the Longifolia was worth working on. I was kind of lazy with it but only because I didn't want to spend 2 weeks on failure when I only need to spend 1, before moving on to another source. If I was going to do it all properly I would have dessicated the phyllodes in a dessicating chamber for a week first, it makes it much easier to break up bone dry leaves and when they re-hydrate they are sucking the acidified solution into the crumbled up particles. Strangely enough with all the crud I was working with, very little plant fats seemed to be in the naptha phase. I will know more in the next 12 hours or so. One question... Is spice stable enough that I could go back and reacidify everything and go through all the steps again? or has it degraded to the point of total loss. The reason I ask is because I found that Mescaline is very forgiving and you can basically push it form 1 to 14 and back again while boiling down and still end up with the goods at the end of the process once you have worked out where you went wrong and tweaked the process. So will it be worth while re-working the 2l of green smelly sludge @ pH 13 or have I killed it.

Viracocha
#10 Posted : 7/26/2007 8:23:20 AM

..still lc..

i know what you mean by.. [i:7221c177f0]"This was basically my first try to see if the Longifolia was worth working on. I was kind of lazy with it but only because I didn't want to spend 2 weeks on failure when I only need to spend 1, before moving on to another source"[/i:7221c177f0] but understand that with a few extra steps you might actually prove that your leaf is active, rather than dismissing it and moving on because you just got a load of crap. yeah you could go the whole deal and do it as they might in an organic chem lab, but that's not really worth it if you're just trying to prove a point. so if you're going to do any extractions just make sure you do them well enough that they'll actually give you something i think you should be fine to work it over again dmt and mesc are both pretty stable (mesc moreso)

Fable
#11 Posted : 7/26/2007 1:41:47 PM

DMT-Nexus member

OK Coschi you have made me feel guilty for not giving it the 100% so I have started a re-work. BTW the evaping naptha is looking promising and the 20ml or so left is viscous and white whispy trails are starting to show so I think I have something. Very happy I have re-acidified the marc and am in the process of filtering out the sediment leaving a lovely clear claret coloured liquid, this is now being defatted with approx 500ml xylene and I should be ready to attempt another extraction late tomorrow evening. Something you said in another thread about the solubility of spice in IPA piqued my interest, I think I might wash the residue from the evap dish with 50ml IPA and vacuum filter to remove all the dust and dog hair that seems to get into everything. I was thinking of adding the IPA/spice to some pH4 acidified HCl soln to get things back in to the salt, then I can clean things up with a much smaller volume and hopefully get some crystals eventually. Thanks for the impetus Very happy

Viracocha
#12 Posted : 7/27/2007 2:54:26 AM

..still lc..

Good work Fable Very happy I'd be real interested to hear what you get out of this Yeah i was real surprised to see how soluble dmt base is in IPA.. the only concern about what you said is that i think DMT salts will also be soluble in IPA (i'm not sure though), this could bugger you around a bit.. And xylene will definitely defat the mixture, but hopefully it still leaves your dmt behind Wink all the best mate

Fable
#13 Posted : 7/27/2007 11:28:13 AM

DMT-Nexus member

The shellite wouldn't evaporate as there was far too much fat/oil in the mix although I could smell the "mothballs" Very happy . A total rework was done and the remaining oil was acidified, cooked, added to the marc and de-fatted, and currently reducing the volume. I think ATM that the Longifolia is worth pursuing. Some pics of the foliage [img:33a73c7160]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v652/Ethnogonzo/DSCF0264.jpg[/img:33a73c7160] [img:33a73c7160]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v652/Ethnogonzo/DSCF0265.jpg[/img:33a73c7160] Notice the long tubular flowers Wink Its hard to see from the picture but the flowers and the veins that run through the phyllode are the points to ID for. I believe that spice is only really found in Acacia that show this tubular flower feature. The others are mostly just yellow pompoms.

Fable
#14 Posted : 7/29/2007 2:58:00 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Some bad shellte caused numerous problems over the weekend. The oily residue preventing any cleaning of final product. I did see some small crystals out of the freezer so at least I confirmed the presence of something that crystallizes Confused By that stage I had drunk 1/2 a bottle of whisky and accidentally dropped my vacuum flask so that was pretty much the end of my experiments for the weekend. Rolling eyes What was there couldnt have been more than a match heads worth in total, not much from 850g of phyllodes.

Fable
#15 Posted : 8/26/2007 7:28:24 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Well I just spent the last month working with longifolia. I collected 1.2kg of phyllodes and dried then dessicated and shredded, I had 540g of bone dry material and after a weeks worth of brewing, reducing and extracting...I was left with nothing, absolutely no spice to speak of. What a letdown, I am now of the opinion that longifolia is not worth the time spent trying to find an active one. I would be really interested if anyone has actually had any good results with this tree or whether the reported % is actually realistic. Back to the drawing board.